Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb 06:32 - Sep 3 with 28642 viewsElderGrizzly

Causing two earthquakes in North-East N.Korea

Pop on your hard hats

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/03/north-korea-nuclear-test-sout
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:27 - Sep 3 with 7813 viewsPlums

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:21 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Second paragraph is far too simplistic and standard US, bashing. They are far from perfect but each of those interventions need to be assessed on their own merits. They were also far from alone with other major powers doing the same in proxy wars for the cold war. Better than the US and Russia going at each other directly unfortunately for those other countries.

I would argue is not NK actions, it's those of a despotic regime and a few at the top trying to cling onto power rather than the nation as a whole. The general public may well be all for an intervention.

SB

Is your second paragraph describing the Trump administration?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:30 - Sep 3 with 7810 viewsBenters

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:15 - Sep 3 by Harry_Palmer

Yes God Bless America indeed, that peace loving nation that spreads joy around the globe.

When you get a sec, maybe do a little research on how many countries the USA has invaded / interfered with in the last 50 years and compare that against how many North Korea has.

I don't condone North Korea's actions in any way but has it never occurred to you that part of their motivation might just be to ensure they cannot be bullied or invaded by the USA like other nations have been?

Wll if that lovely cuddly Obama had got his finger out IS wouldnt be so much the power it is today.

No he prefered to be seen in selfies and at pop concerts i know !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:36 - Sep 3 with 7797 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:01 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

So they are saying it's a hydrogen bomb but from the initial yield is more likely boosted fission. If the miniturisation is true that's the main news and very worrying.

SB

Spot on, altho we don't know how small the device actually tested was (as opposed to the thing shown on TV).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:37 - Sep 3 with 7785 viewsGlasgowBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:27 - Sep 3 by Plums

As loathsome as Trump is, I'm not aware his administration forces women to drown their own babies, executes whole families caught watching foreign soap operas, uses mass starvation on its own people as a political tool or tortures and executes political opponents.

I'm unaware of a UN report that describes Trump's crimes 'as the worst since the Nazis'

So no, I don't think his last paragraph was describing Trump's administration.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:37 - Sep 3 with 7788 viewsStokieBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:27 - Sep 3 by Plums

Very clever.

It's becoming increasingly tiresome that many on this forum have to work Trump into every post, I know it's fashionable but why not actually address what people write?

It's detracting from the forum. Trump certainly needs to be discussed but not every subject or post requires an anti-Trump tangent.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:38 - Sep 3 with 7792 viewsDurovigutum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 07:03 - Sep 3 by Benters

Trump will sort the arseholes out.

Read this
How to Deal With North Korea- There are no good options. But some are worse than others.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-worst-problem-on-earth/

And with only a few of its worst weapons, North Korea could, probably within hours, kill millions. This means an American first strike would likely trigger one of the worst mass killings in human history. In 2005, Sam Gardiner, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who specialized in conducting war games at the National War College, estimated that the use of sarin gas alone would produce 1 million casualties. Gardiner now says, in light of what we have learned from gas attacks on civilians in Syria, that the number would likely be three to five times greater. And today North Korea has an even wider array of chemical and biological weapons than it did 12 years ago
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:39 - Sep 3 with 7789 viewsHarry_Palmer

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:21 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Second paragraph is far too simplistic and standard US, bashing. They are far from perfect but each of those interventions need to be assessed on their own merits. They were also far from alone with other major powers doing the same in proxy wars for the cold war. Better than the US and Russia going at each other directly unfortunately for those other countries.

I would argue is not NK actions, it's those of a despotic regime and a few at the top trying to cling onto power rather than the nation as a whole. The general public may well be all for an intervention.

SB

I fact checked this a few months ago off the back of a meme that claimed the USA had invaded around 25 countries since the end of WW2.

I found that when you looked at interventions that actually violated the UN charter it was only around 10. This is still 10 times too many for me and about 9 more than North Korea who unless I'm mistaken have only over invaded South Korea in recent history.

Ps. I was trying to keep it simple for Benters.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 8:41]
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:51 - Sep 3 with 7766 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:30 - Sep 3 by Benters

Wll if that lovely cuddly Obama had got his finger out IS wouldnt be so much the power it is today.

Obama did, in August 2014. His commitment of US airpower and extensive material support helped the Iraqis stop Islamic State's expansion and began the roll-back which has seen them nearly driven from that country's soil. In addition, supplies sent to the Kurds allowed them to defeat IS in northern Syria.

You don't think any of this has suddenly started happening in the mere seven months since Trump took over?

Quite apart from the fact that the IS situation is actually Round 3 of George W Bush's 2003 conflict.

Login to get fewer ads

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:01 - Sep 3 with 7743 viewsPlums

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:37 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Very clever.

It's becoming increasingly tiresome that many on this forum have to work Trump into every post, I know it's fashionable but why not actually address what people write?

It's detracting from the forum. Trump certainly needs to be discussed but not every subject or post requires an anti-Trump tangent.

SB

I see the board police are out again. I didn't bring Trump into this thread, he was included in the fifth post by someone claiming he would 'sort the arseholes out'.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:12 - Sep 3 with 7725 viewsElderGrizzly

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:01 - Sep 3 by Plums

I see the board police are out again. I didn't bring Trump into this thread, he was included in the fifth post by someone claiming he would 'sort the arseholes out'.

Indeed. My response was to Benters showing Trump appears more interested in vanity than sanity
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:17 - Sep 3 with 7721 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:39 - Sep 3 by Harry_Palmer

I fact checked this a few months ago off the back of a meme that claimed the USA had invaded around 25 countries since the end of WW2.

I found that when you looked at interventions that actually violated the UN charter it was only around 10. This is still 10 times too many for me and about 9 more than North Korea who unless I'm mistaken have only over invaded South Korea in recent history.

Ps. I was trying to keep it simple for Benters.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 8:41]

They only invaded SK, but have not ceased aggressive actions in the period since 1953. That includes sabotage, attempted assassinations and occasional overt military action (e.g. the bombardment of Yeonpyeong, which caused a number of fatalities).

There is also the kidnapping of Japanese citizens. Plus the supply of material (up to the shipment of entire missiles) to regimes and insurgent groups in other parts of the world, in defiance of UN proscriptions.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:19 - Sep 3 with 7718 viewsStokieBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:01 - Sep 3 by Plums

You decided to equate him to the North Korean regime though, something that is patently absurd.

It's not the board police, say what you like but people are free to call you out on it. It's becoming increasingly tiresome and detracts from debate. You also weren't responding to the initial Trump usage (which was silly), you were off on another tangent.

SB
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 9:21]

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:22 - Sep 3 with 7712 viewsStokieBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:12 - Sep 3 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. My response was to Benters showing Trump appears more interested in vanity than sanity

Totally different and I know you know that. No idea why you'd support Trump being bought up as equatable to the NK regime.

SB

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:25 - Sep 3 with 7707 viewsLeoMuff

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:30 - Sep 3 by Benters

Well under Obama I didn't see us reach this crisis level with NK, Trump has stirred up a hornets nest just for his own ego trip, and now has a pretty much unsolvable problem.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:28 - Sep 3 with 7701 viewsHarry_Palmer

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:17 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

They only invaded SK, but have not ceased aggressive actions in the period since 1953. That includes sabotage, attempted assassinations and occasional overt military action (e.g. the bombardment of Yeonpyeong, which caused a number of fatalities).

There is also the kidnapping of Japanese citizens. Plus the supply of material (up to the shipment of entire missiles) to regimes and insurgent groups in other parts of the world, in defiance of UN proscriptions.

As I said I certainly don't condone the current NK regime but its not quite as simple as they are the bad guys and the US are the good guys, which is what western media would have us believe and people like Benters fall for rather too easily.
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:36 - Sep 3 with 7679 viewsGlasgowBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:25 - Sep 3 by LeoMuff

Well under Obama I didn't see us reach this crisis level with NK, Trump has stirred up a hornets nest just for his own ego trip, and now has a pretty much unsolvable problem.

Obama's policy of appeasement has seen NK flex it's muscles until we have reached this "unsolvable problem".

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:36 - Sep 3 with 7680 viewsArcher4721

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 06:54 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

A bomb which could produce a 6.3 earthquake would be quite a step up from their previous efforts. As the BBC experts point out it's still not a hydrogen bomb so I guess that's at least one good thing.

Test won't change anything, the whole situation is a stalemate, nobody can really do anything different to what they have been doing except North Korea.

SB

Yes it was a hydrogen bomb.
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:43 - Sep 3 with 7664 viewsBoardPolice

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:19 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

You decided to equate him to the North Korean regime though, something that is patently absurd.

It's not the board police, say what you like but people are free to call you out on it. It's becoming increasingly tiresome and detracts from debate. You also weren't responding to the initial Trump usage (which was silly), you were off on another tangent.

SB
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 9:21]

Sorry, haven't been about much, spending cuts.

Right, is there some ill behaviour to sort out?
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:46 - Sep 3 with 7656 viewsLeoMuff

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:36 - Sep 3 by GlasgowBlue

Obama's policy of appeasement has seen NK flex it's muscles until we have reached this "unsolvable problem".

What was Obama supposedl to do ? NK were always going to develop these weapons as long as China refuses to reign them in.

Unfortunately Trumps rhetoric has led to them firing them all over the shop, just to prove they can

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:55 - Sep 3 with 7644 viewsBorisOrTrevor

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:46 - Sep 3 by LeoMuff

What was Obama supposedl to do ? NK were always going to develop these weapons as long as China refuses to reign them in.

Unfortunately Trumps rhetoric has led to them firing them all over the shop, just to prove they can

Correct, ultimately with China guaranteeing their security to maintain its buffer state (not overtly but implicitly) there are no options to remove the leadership other than trying to destabilise the populace of NK.

The next step could be an arms race and Japan (and SK) may well follow its own nuclear weapons programme if not already started one. Not sure this is in China or Russian strategic interests but the Chinese seemed to have decided the buffer state is a vital interest. Given how duplicitous the wests foreign endeavours are this is perhaps not surprising.

BOT

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:00 - Sep 3 with 7636 viewsElderGrizzly

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:22 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Totally different and I know you know that. No idea why you'd support Trump being bought up as equatable to the NK regime.

SB

I haven't. I'd thought that was quite obvious as i'm not stupid :)
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:01 - Sep 3 with 7635 viewsBorisOrTrevor

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:36 - Sep 3 by GlasgowBlue

Appeasement? There is no military solution so I would say realistic. Ultimately if they ever attack anywhere in a meaningful way they are done for. When you have balance like this you tend to have peace.

BOT

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:14 - Sep 3 with 7613 viewsArcher4721

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 07:03 - Sep 3 by Benters

Trump will sort the arseholes out.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:27 - Sep 3 with 7604 viewsBergholtBru

Guess this kinda sums it up really!!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:29 - Sep 3 with 7602 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:28 - Sep 3 by Harry_Palmer

As I said I certainly don't condone the current NK regime but its not quite as simple as they are the bad guys and the US are the good guys, which is what western media would have us believe and people like Benters fall for rather too easily.

Of course. None of this is Black Hat White Hat. However, pretty much the entire international community (including Russia and China) is united in condemnation of NK's nuclear and missile programmes.

It is also worth noting that recent (i.e. in the last two decades) US interventions have all been against regimes which were committing genocidal acts upon their own people (Serbia, Iraq), had declared they were about to (Libya), or were actively sheltering terrorists threatening America (Sudan, Afghanistan, Yemen).

Meanwhile NK has a current record of aggressive (nay bloodthirsty) rhetoric and actions against its neighbour and the latter's allies. They may not technically have a peace treaty, but the armistice has been in place for nearly 65 years now. There is no real excuse for it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024