Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb 06:32 - Sep 3 with 28638 viewsElderGrizzly

Causing two earthquakes in North-East N.Korea

Pop on your hard hats

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/03/north-korea-nuclear-test-sout
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:32 - Sep 3 with 5571 viewsnoggin

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:30 - Sep 3 by Benters

Wll if that lovely cuddly Obama had got his finger out IS wouldnt be so much the power it is today.

No he prefered to be seen in selfies and at pop concerts i know !

lol.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:50 - Sep 3 with 5544 viewsBergholtBru

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:29 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Of course. None of this is Black Hat White Hat. However, pretty much the entire international community (including Russia and China) is united in condemnation of NK's nuclear and missile programmes.

It is also worth noting that recent (i.e. in the last two decades) US interventions have all been against regimes which were committing genocidal acts upon their own people (Serbia, Iraq), had declared they were about to (Libya), or were actively sheltering terrorists threatening America (Sudan, Afghanistan, Yemen).

Meanwhile NK has a current record of aggressive (nay bloodthirsty) rhetoric and actions against its neighbour and the latter's allies. They may not technically have a peace treaty, but the armistice has been in place for nearly 65 years now. There is no real excuse for it.

Quite. It`s just fashionable by some on here to knock the US whatever. "You mustn`t be xenophobic". Except in the case of the USA apparently. The world would be a worse place without the USA. I`m glad they`re our allies, with or without Trump.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:51 - Sep 3 with 5546 viewsfactual_blue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 07:35 - Sep 3 by ElderGrizzly

Apart most stuff he says is a lie and they have to retract it afterwards. Oh and he's probably a criminal.

I'd say you're better than that Benters.

He is better than that, but pretends not to be.

Or he likes looking really, really stupid.

You decide.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:56 - Sep 3 with 5544 viewsvapour_trail

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 07:31 - Sep 3 by Benters

No i like him.

He reminds me of me .

Says it how it is.

People cant handle it.

If i was a American i would have voted Trump.

Eh? The president of the United States of America reminds you of yourself? That's a good one.

I'm not sure who you're imaging can't handle you "saying it as it is". I think most people can probably cope. Show me someone who can't handle you, and I'll show you a successful lobotomy.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:58 - Sep 3 with 5542 viewsfactual_blue

Useful advice in the current Focus Magazine (one of the BBC's many excellent publications).

You first have to survive the thermal blast, which will cause third degree burns to any exposed skin if you are 10km away from the explosion. If you can't shelter behind anything, lie down with your feet towards the blast and cover your face.

You then have about twenty seconds to avoid the shock wave. Your best bet is the middle of a field. The shock wave at 10km will make you feel as though you're being hit, very hard, all over your body but won't kill you. What will kill you is falling rubble and flying glass.

You've then got a relatively short time before the radioactive dust starts falling back to earth and starts to destroy your internal organs.

So to summarise, at 10km away, you're dead.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:30 - Sep 3 with 5494 viewsBenters

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:50 - Sep 3 by BergholtBru

Quite. It`s just fashionable by some on here to knock the US whatever. "You mustn`t be xenophobic". Except in the case of the USA apparently. The world would be a worse place without the USA. I`m glad they`re our allies, with or without Trump.

Amen to that Brother.

Fancy a pint at QPR?

HH is the first call .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:31 - Sep 3 with 5496 viewsPendejo

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:58 - Sep 3 by factual_blue

Useful advice in the current Focus Magazine (one of the BBC's many excellent publications).

You first have to survive the thermal blast, which will cause third degree burns to any exposed skin if you are 10km away from the explosion. If you can't shelter behind anything, lie down with your feet towards the blast and cover your face.

You then have about twenty seconds to avoid the shock wave. Your best bet is the middle of a field. The shock wave at 10km will make you feel as though you're being hit, very hard, all over your body but won't kill you. What will kill you is falling rubble and flying glass.

You've then got a relatively short time before the radioactive dust starts falling back to earth and starts to destroy your internal organs.

TBH - I've always thought the best thing to do if faced with such a situation is better to run toward it and get it all over as "surviving" would mean a drawn out death, unless of course you are a prepper and have already got the right gear to sit it out.

If near home I'm alright Jack...
My secret bunker which is located underneath One Tree Hill in London

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:31 - Sep 3 with 5495 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 10:58 - Sep 3 by factual_blue

Depends very much on the size of the weapon. Your example is a fair-sized one, by modern standards (they now tend to be smaller, but more accurately delivered than in the '60s and '70s).

At Hiroshima, there were survivors (inside buildings) within a few hundred yards of the hypocentre (point directly below the bomb when it detonated).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:37 - Sep 3 with 5481 viewsStokieBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:36 - Sep 3 by Archer4721

Yes it was a hydrogen bomb.

Evidence?

Doesn't seem anywhere near powerful enough, much more in line with boosted fission rather than fusion.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:38 - Sep 3 with 5480 viewsfactual_blue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:31 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Depends very much on the size of the weapon. Your example is a fair-sized one, by modern standards (they now tend to be smaller, but more accurately delivered than in the '60s and '70s).

At Hiroshima, there were survivors (inside buildings) within a few hundred yards of the hypocentre (point directly below the bomb when it detonated).

The BBC article does give the size, but I don't have it to hand.

I'm not sure I'd want to survive.

It would be a while before retired administrators and project accountants were in demand.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:40 - Sep 3 with 5472 viewsfactual_blue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:31 - Sep 3 by Pendejo

TBH - I've always thought the best thing to do if faced with such a situation is better to run toward it and get it all over as "surviving" would mean a drawn out death, unless of course you are a prepper and have already got the right gear to sit it out.

If near home I'm alright Jack...
My secret bunker which is located underneath One Tree Hill in London

Quite.

And to survive in a world of 'preppers' would be to live in a world of trumpy-wumpy admirers.

Although the Swiss would be running things.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:41 - Sep 3 with 5470 viewsblueislander

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:37 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Evidence?

Doesn't seem anywhere near powerful enough, much more in line with boosted fission rather than fusion.

SB

The "solution" to the problem is largely in the hands of the Chinese who could bring North Korea to its knees if they stopped supplying them with food and energy. Very doubtful whether they feel it is in their interest to do so though.
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:43 - Sep 3 with 5465 viewsNo9

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:15 - Sep 3 by Harry_Palmer

Yes God Bless America indeed, that peace loving nation that spreads joy around the globe.

When you get a sec, maybe do a little research on how many countries the USA has invaded / interfered with in the last 50 years and compare that against how many North Korea has.

I don't condone North Korea's actions in any way but has it never occurred to you that part of their motivation might just be to ensure they cannot be bullied or invaded by the USA like other nations have been?

Good point, we are all now concerned that NK is developing hardware that could cause the end of civilisation even though they may have threatened by several sabre rattling American presidents over the years ?

If we felt we were being threatened would we not go all out to develop weapons to protect ourselves ?

It takes two to tango
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:45 - Sep 3 with 5461 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:37 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Evidence?

SB

Entry-level Hydrogen bombs are usually in the range of one megaton. Of course, it could simply be a less than efficient design, or not have worked fully.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:53 - Sep 3 with 5447 viewsNo9

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:41 - Sep 3 by blueislander

The "solution" to the problem is largely in the hands of the Chinese who could bring North Korea to its knees if they stopped supplying them with food and energy. Very doubtful whether they feel it is in their interest to do so though.

But we have seen sanctions don't work and, in some cases may make things worse.
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:59 - Sep 3 with 5440 viewsblueislander

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:53 - Sep 3 by No9

But we have seen sanctions don't work and, in some cases may make things worse.

In this case North Korea is totally dependent on China , and they have no other friends that could circumvent the sanctions. In this case I really believe that sanctions would work. But, as I said, I don't hold any great hopes of China imposing them.
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:09 - Sep 3 with 5427 viewsBergholtBru

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:30 - Sep 3 by Benters

Amen to that Brother.

Fancy a pint at QPR?

HH is the first call .

Won`t be at QPR but let me know when you next cycle this way and we`ll arrange a pint.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:10 - Sep 3 with 5420 viewsGlasgowBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:41 - Sep 3 by blueislander

The Chinese would have a NK migrant crisis similar to the one Europe had a couple of years ago.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:24 - Sep 3 with 5404 viewsStokieBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 11:45 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Entry-level Hydrogen bombs are usually in the range of one megaton. Of course, it could simply be a less than efficient design, or not have worked fully.

Was this 1MT? I read earlier 150KT.

SB

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:39 - Sep 3 with 5384 viewsBluesquid

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 08:51 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Obama did, in August 2014. His commitment of US airpower and extensive material support helped the Iraqis stop Islamic State's expansion and began the roll-back which has seen them nearly driven from that country's soil. In addition, supplies sent to the Kurds allowed them to defeat IS in northern Syria.

You don't think any of this has suddenly started happening in the mere seven months since Trump took over?

Quite apart from the fact that the IS situation is actually Round 3 of George W Bush's 2003 conflict.

Convoy's of Toyota trucks full of ISIS fighters and weapons drove across the desert and took the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra. They were completely unchallenged by the US airforce.

Then you've got ISIS’s capture of oil fields in the Middle East, the organization was making around 30 million dollars per month. While the US could have used its vast airforce to eliminate a main source of terrorist funding, instead it was left up to Russia to bomb Turkey bound oil tankers with America eventually having to catch up.

Around 30 million dollars per month for over a year, thats alot of revenue for ISIS.

Would be interesting to get your views as to why the US airforce allowed this to happen.
North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:45 - Sep 3 with 5374 viewsPlums

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 09:19 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

You decided to equate him to the North Korean regime though, something that is patently absurd.

It's not the board police, say what you like but people are free to call you out on it. It's becoming increasingly tiresome and detracts from debate. You also weren't responding to the initial Trump usage (which was silly), you were off on another tangent.

SB
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 9:21]

It is patently absurd, I agree with you. Which is why I didn't do anything of the sort. You have projected that equation onto what I said.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:49 - Sep 3 with 5369 viewsStokieBlue

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:45 - Sep 3 by Plums

It is patently absurd, I agree with you. Which is why I didn't do anything of the sort. You have projected that equation onto what I said.

So what did you mean then? You asked if I meant Trump went I clearly meant NK.

What would you say the implication of your post was? I agree you likely didn't mean they were equivalent.

SB
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 12:51]

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 13:04 - Sep 3 with 5343 viewsPlums

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:49 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

So what did you mean then? You asked if I meant Trump went I clearly meant NK.

What would you say the implication of your post was? I agree you likely didn't mean they were equivalent.

SB
[Post edited 3 Sep 2017 12:51]

You described a few at the top trying to cling to power rather than the nation as a whole. The general public may well be all for an intervention.

Trump is losing support in both his own party and the country as a whole and at some point the public may seek and intervention i.e. his removal from office.

FWIW I have no love or sympathy for either the mass murdering Kim family or the child-like buffoon who's being steered by the rabid right of US politics. The world would be better off without both of them in positions of authority for which they are unfit.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 13:33 - Sep 3 with 5327 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:39 - Sep 3 by Bluesquid

Convoy's of Toyota trucks full of ISIS fighters and weapons drove across the desert and took the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra. They were completely unchallenged by the US airforce.

Then you've got ISIS’s capture of oil fields in the Middle East, the organization was making around 30 million dollars per month. While the US could have used its vast airforce to eliminate a main source of terrorist funding, instead it was left up to Russia to bomb Turkey bound oil tankers with America eventually having to catch up.

Around 30 million dollars per month for over a year, thats alot of revenue for ISIS.

Would be interesting to get your views as to why the US airforce allowed this to happen.

1) The Syrian desert is a big place.

2) Palmyra is not in the sector the US/Coalition was patrolling.

3) The oil was mostly going over the Turkish border. Again not an area being patrolled by the US at that time. The Turks might be a NATO ally, Erdogan's government doesn't take a lot of notice of what others think.

4) The Russian bombing was as much to p1ss off the Turks as anything.

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 13:51 - Sep 3 with 5316 viewsGuthrum

North Korea have tested another nuclear bomb on 12:24 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

Was this 1MT? I read earlier 150KT.

SB

If it's 10 times the previous one, would be c. 100kT. Tho it doesn't translate exactly from blast size to earthquake effect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024