Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monarch 23:02 - Oct 1 with 7343 viewsMaySixth

going bust?

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Monarch on 23:05 - Oct 1 with 7335 viewsfactual_blue

I don't think any of us want to see HM the Queen bankrupt. How did you hear this?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Monarch on 23:13 - Oct 1 with 7316 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Monarch on 23:05 - Oct 1 by factual_blue

I don't think any of us want to see HM the Queen bankrupt. How did you hear this?

Don't worry she's officially 'too big to fail'.....guaranteed by the tax payers !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Monarch on 05:44 - Oct 2 with 7209 viewsjeera

Gone by the look of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Monarch on 07:20 - Oct 2 with 7141 viewsWeWereZombies

Didn't get the money together to renew their CAA licence and are now in admin. People with outbound flights from the UK advised not to go to the airport but holidaymakers told not to worry about the flight back to the UK as it will be picked up by other airlines (although they do need to check monarch.caa.co.uk for new flight details).

It's that time of year, need to be wary if any of the tour operators will suffer the same fate. And it does make you wonder about the Ryan Air cancellations - were the reasons they gave for the flight cancellations true or was it a mask for money saving tactics to keep the books balanced?
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 7:29]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

on 07:30 - Oct 2 with 7103 views_

Monarch on 23:05 - Oct 1 by factual_blue

Monarch on 07:45 - Oct 2 with 7071 viewsGlasgowBlue

Monarch on 07:20 - Oct 2 by WeWereZombies

Didn't get the money together to renew their CAA licence and are now in admin. People with outbound flights from the UK advised not to go to the airport but holidaymakers told not to worry about the flight back to the UK as it will be picked up by other airlines (although they do need to check monarch.caa.co.uk for new flight details).

It's that time of year, need to be wary if any of the tour operators will suffer the same fate. And it does make you wonder about the Ryan Air cancellations - were the reasons they gave for the flight cancellations true or was it a mask for money saving tactics to keep the books balanced?

My wife is due to fly with them in two weeks for a hen night. Now hecking with other airlines for an alternative.

In 2001 we flew out to Portugal for a business conference with Belgian airline Sabina. We boarded the return flight to Scotland but when the plane was in the air Sabina went bankrupt. We landed in Belgium and spent an eternity trying to get a Virgin flight to Heathrow. We then had to do the same with a another airline from Heathroe to Edinburgh, then a taxi from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

I think it took as about 20 hours to get from Portugal to Glasgow. Feel really sorry for people who are o; holiday because even though they can get an alternative they will spend the last few days worrying.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Monarch on 07:47 - Oct 2 with 7058 viewsblue_oyster

110,000 people from the UK affected who have flown out on Monarch airlines. Just how many people are currently on holiday?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Monarch on 09:18 - Oct 2 with 6968 viewsfactual_blue

I wouldn't trust the ryanair boss to tell me the right time even if we were stood in Parliament Square looking at the clock on the Elizabeth Tower.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 9:37]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Monarch on 09:20 - Oct 2 with 6958 viewshype313

Monarch on 09:18 - Oct 2 by factual_blue

I wouldn't trust the ryanair boss to tell me the right time even if we were stood in Parliament Square looking at the clock on the Elizabeth Tower.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 9:37]

He'd also charge you £2.50 if you asked.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Monarch on 09:50 - Oct 2 with 6917 viewsGlasgowBlue

Monarch on 09:20 - Oct 2 by hype313

At least he has shut up banging on about how Ryanair will have to cancel hundreds of flights once the UK leaves the European Union.

Iron Lion Zion

Monarch on 09:51 - Oct 2 with 6915 viewsITFC_Forever

Surely there's only so many Own Goals Ryan Air can survive?

Passengers hate them, their own pilots and crew seem to hate them and O'Leary's arrogance and flagrant disregard for the code of conduct doesn't sound like a healthy business plan to me.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Monarch on 09:59 - Oct 2 with 6900 viewstcblue

So, is this Sovereignty or not? Hard to know
Monarch on 10:06 - Oct 2 with 6887 viewsStokieBlue

Monarch on 09:51 - Oct 2 by ITFC_Forever

Passengers hate them, their own pilots and crew seem to hate them and O'Leary's arrogance and flagrant disregard for the code of conduct doesn't sound like a healthy business plan to me.

Passengers hate them.

Then they see that it's 400 quid for 4 people during the school holidays to get to Greece rather than 1600 quid for 4 people on BA and fly them anyway.

Then complain massively and do it all over again the next time.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Monarch on 10:18 - Oct 2 with 6869 viewshype313

Monarch on 09:51 - Oct 2 by ITFC_Forever

Everyone hates them, but they are cheap, they own that particular space in the market, and unless someone comes along and offers the routes, the prices and the level of service you get from premium branded airline then nothing will change.

Although it will be interesting to see how Norweigian Air get on, they could be the one's that offer some decent competition.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Monarch on 10:24 - Oct 2 with 6862 viewsBOjK

Monarch on 05:44 - Oct 2 by jeera

Gone by the look of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

"Blair Nimmo, from administrator KPMG, said its collapse was a result of "depressed prices" in the short-haul travel market, alongside increased fuel costs and handling charges as a result of a weak pound."

A weak pound? What could possibly have caused that?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Monarch on 10:33 - Oct 2 with 6843 viewsStokieBlue

Monarch on 10:24 - Oct 2 by BOjK

"Blair Nimmo, from administrator KPMG, said its collapse was a result of "depressed prices" in the short-haul travel market, alongside increased fuel costs and handling charges as a result of a weak pound."

A weak pound? What could possibly have caused that?

It's arguable the pound has been overvalued for a long time, certainly since before the referendum and any business should factor this in when setting prices surely? To assume a 15%-20% overvaluation will continue regardless of political circumstances seems a bit foolish.

https://fullfact.org/economy/exchange-rates-and-imf/

I would have thought they would have bought futures to secure their jet fuel at a fixed price years in advance, am surprised they are saying that is the cause.

Obviously Brexit hasn't helped them in general though.

SB

Monarch on 10:35 - Oct 2 with 6837 viewsGlasgowBlue

Monarch on 10:33 - Oct 2 by StokieBlue

It's arguable the pound has been overvalued for a long time, certainly since before the referendum and any business should factor this in when setting prices surely? To assume a 15%-20% overvaluation will continue regardless of political circumstances seems a bit foolish.

I would have thought they would have bought futures to secure their jet fuel at a fixed price years in advance, am surprised they are saying that is the cause.

SB

Monarch have been on the verge of going bust since 2009.

Iron Lion Zion

Monarch on 10:42 - Oct 2 with 6825 viewsStokieBlue

Monarch on 10:35 - Oct 2 by GlasgowBlue

Monarch have been on the verge of going bust since 2009.

Indeed - they were bust until the venture capital company took them over.

Failing business model unfortunately - they were OK when they stuck to charter flights and package holidays.

SB

Monarch on 10:50 - Oct 2 with 6810 viewsBOjK

Monarch on 10:33 - Oct 2 by StokieBlue

SB

The movement of exchange rates is one of those irregular verbs.

My pound returns to its true rate following a period of overvaluation which is great for exporters
Your pound is devalued and we are all poorer
They suffer a run on the pound causing a financial crisis.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Monarch on 13:36 - Oct 2 with 6688 viewsWeWereZombies

Monarch on 09:20 - Oct 2 by hype313

Actually quite reasonable when you consider what one of our own posters would charge...

Monarch on 15:32 - Oct 2 with 6632 viewsSpruceMoose

Monarch on 13:36 - Oct 2 by WeWereZombies

Actually quite reasonable when you consider what one of our own posters would charge...

Careful now, I am a very litigious moose!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Monarch on 15:35 - Oct 2 with 6622 viewsWeWereZombies

Monarch on 15:32 - Oct 2 by SpruceMoose

Careful now, I am a very litigious moose!

Oh deer...

Monarch (n/t) on 16:28 - Oct 2 with 6577 viewsbenniblue

Monarch (n/t) on 22:08 - Oct 2 with 6483 viewsMaySixth

Monarch (n/t) on 16:28 - Oct 2 by benniblue

sad

Monarch on 22:09 - Oct 2 with 6479 viewsMaySixth

three Monarch directors set up their own company on Sep 25 (the week before they went bust)

why would that be?

http://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/shelfco-2017-limited-10980785/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024