Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review 09:31 - Oct 13 with 3661 viewsHeathlander

As one of the lucky competition winners from TWTD I attended the Dean Saunders Sporting Dinner at Greshams last night. It is a great venue and looked splendid set out in cabaret style and packed to the rafters.

Evening started with a two course meal, steak and ale pie was delicious. Event raised over £1200 for St Elizabeth Hospice which was great.

Dean Saunders was next up. I wasn’t sure what to expect as he never really came across as a sparkling personality. I was very wrong.

He started with a great story about his first day at TalkSport with Town legend Alan Brazil, then talked about his time as manager of Wrexham. His next story was a brilliant tale about how he nearly signed for Forest and the meeting he had with Brian Clough. It was brilliant. His final story was about Ron Atkinson and the time he had at Villa. Dalian Atkinson featured heavily in the story. It was hilarious. Dean Saunders is actually a brilliant after dinner speaker and a very funny man.

The evening finished with a comedian from Yeovil who was a little bit old school. All in all a great evening. Next one in May features our own Terry Butcher.

So thank you Phil for the tickets. The TWTD table were a great bunch of people too and good company. So a very enjoyable evening was had by all.
Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 09:46 - Oct 13 with 3611 viewsSteve_M

"The TWTD table were a great bunch of people too and good company. So a very enjoyable evening was had by all. "

Are you sure they actually come on here?

Sounds like a good evening though, I've been to a few dinners where I've expected nothing much of the speaker and been pleasantly surprised.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 09:50 - Oct 13 with 3586 viewsHeathlander

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 09:46 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

"The TWTD table were a great bunch of people too and good company. So a very enjoyable evening was had by all. "

Sounds like a good evening though, I've been to a few dinners where I've expected nothing much of the speaker and been pleasantly surprised.

Not sure they do come on here to be honest. Everyone kept their board identity secret :)
Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 09:51 - Oct 13 with 3579 viewsITFC_Forever

Did anyone ask him about his dive against us when he played for Liverpool in the 2-2 draw in August 1992?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:01 - Oct 13 with 3565 viewsLord_Lucan

Was Scotty mincing about?

Sounds a good evening, sorry to inform you though but the Brian Clough story is made up.

Glad you enjoyed yourself though, I wouldn't have put him down as an after dinner speaker either.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

on 10:11 - Oct 13 with 3527 views_

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:01 - Oct 13 by Lord_Lucan

Sounds a good evening, sorry to inform you though but the Brian Clough story is made up.

Glad you enjoyed yourself though, I wouldn't have put him down as an after dinner speaker either.

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:12 - Oct 13 with 3507 viewsMaySixth

Possibly the worst football manager ever.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:12 - Oct 13 with 3514 viewsdavblue

Apparently he makes most of it up.

The Clough story is bull apparently from Forests coaching staff who said it didn’t happen.
Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:23 - Oct 13 with 3481 viewsHeathlander

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 09:51 - Oct 13 by ITFC_Forever

Did anyone ask him about his dive against us when he played for Liverpool in the 2-2 draw in August 1992?

Yes, said it was the lowest point in his otherwise glittering career and tainted everything he had ever done and still has sleepless nights worrying about it.

Just as I am sure Eric Gates does for all those penalties he won for us for diving ;)
Login to get fewer ads

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:25 - Oct 13 with 3476 viewsHeathlander

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:01 - Oct 13 by Lord_Lucan

Yes he was :) Greshams is actually quite a good club these days. Foods good and reasonably priced, beers good and Scott and his partner? are always chipper.

I like it.
Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:28 - Oct 13 with 3461 viewssolemio

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:12 - Oct 13 by MaySixth

Possibly the worst football manager ever.

I trust you mean Saunders, not Clough.
So then, worst after dinner speakers...... on 10:53 - Oct 13 with 3432 viewsBloots

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 09:46 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

.....I'll start off with two:

1. Richard Hammond - Dreadful, even worse then I expected him to be. Spent most the speech telling stories about Clarkson, slagging off Clarkson, pretending to be Clarkson or brown nosing Clarkson.

Then he spoke about a car.

2. Tony Hawks - The little known comedian/author was so bad that he resorted to pulling out a golf club and playing "keepy uppy" on the stage.

I was embarrassed for him.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

So then, worst after dinner speakers...... on 11:06 - Oct 13 with 3406 viewsSteve_M

So then, worst after dinner speakers...... on 10:53 - Oct 13 by Bloots

.....I'll start off with two:

1. Richard Hammond - Dreadful, even worse then I expected him to be. Spent most the speech telling stories about Clarkson, slagging off Clarkson, pretending to be Clarkson or brown nosing Clarkson.

Then he spoke about a car.

2. Tony Hawks - The little known comedian/author was so bad that he resorted to pulling out a golf club and playing "keepy uppy" on the stage.

I was embarrassed for him.

I think it was Mark Chapman, certainly a BBC radio sports reporter at the time who was basically 45 minutes of Accidental Partridge. It was excruciating.

Austin Mitchell, then MP for Grimsby was dreadful too. Must have been a Humber ports dinner and he showed very little regard for the audience and just went off on some political tangent of interest to himself and no-one else.

I appreciate that he's not exactly your..... on 11:22 - Oct 13 with 3372 viewsBloots

So then, worst after dinner speakers...... on 11:06 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

I think it was Mark Chapman, certainly a BBC radio sports reporter at the time who was basically 45 minutes of Accidental Partridge. It was excruciating.

Austin Mitchell, then MP for Grimsby was dreadful too. Must have been a Humber ports dinner and he showed very little regard for the audience and just went off on some political tangent of interest to himself and no-one else.

....cup of tea, but I was at an event with Giles Brandreth last year.

He was excellent and a surprisingly potty mouth too.

I appreciate that he's not exactly your..... on 11:34 - Oct 13 with 3342 viewsSteve_M

I appreciate that he's not exactly your..... on 11:22 - Oct 13 by Bloots

....cup of tea, but I was at an event with Giles Brandreth last year.

He was excellent and a surprisingly potty mouth too.

I've seen Brandreth, he was very entertaining.

Jeffrey Archer was a brilliant speaker, first thing he did was put the microphone down as he didn't need it. Obviously one couldn't believe a word he said: i was a coal industry dinner and he claimed to have always been a friend of the industry,l Yes, Jeffrey especially in about 1985?

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 11:39 - Oct 13 with 3328 viewsitfcjoe

Doesn't surprise me he was a good speaker - he's always been a funny bloke when I've heard him

There was a bit of controversy about that Clough story, but find it difficult for someone to say it definitely didn't happen when they weren't there - although it is clearly embellsihed.

I was at a wedding at a hotel in Colchester a few years back, and him and his Doncaster team were staying there that night and had a chat to him and was a nice guy - bought the bride a bottle of champagne.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Strange booking. (n/t) on 11:43 - Oct 13 with 3308 viewsBloots

I appreciate that he's not exactly your..... on 11:34 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

I've seen Brandreth, he was very entertaining.

Jeffrey Archer was a brilliant speaker, first thing he did was put the microphone down as he didn't need it. Obviously one couldn't believe a word he said: i was a coal industry dinner and he claimed to have always been a friend of the industry,l Yes, Jeffrey especially in about 1985?

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 12:10 - Oct 13 with 3259 viewsWD19

Dean Saunders Sporting Evening Review on 10:28 - Oct 13 by solemio

I trust you mean Saunders, not Clough.

I trust he means Chris Sutton.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024