Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition 10:12 - Oct 23 with 12175 viewsartsbossbeard

Saw a story come up on my FB feed this weekend about a chap who is doing the rounds of Ipswich bars & restaurants, running up big bar tabs before skulking off without paying. The trick being to put an expired debit/credit card behind the bar and relying on it not being checked by bar staff until payment required and by that time, he's gone.

This type of behaviour really boils my p1ss. My mate's lad (both season ticket holders) works in one of the bars affected and they got stung for £80, which is what they pay my mates' lad for a couple of nights work collecting empties & cleaning up.

The story named & shamed him and if it's true, I do know the lad to say hello to but I won't name him on here.

Anyhoo, worth noting if you should work or know someone who works in a bar/restaurant around the Ipswich area.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:13 - Oct 23 with 7822 viewshype313

He's on facebook, posting pics of him drinking beers on the docks...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:14 - Oct 23 with 7805 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:13 - Oct 23 by hype313

That's the one. Tw@t's behaviour.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:15 - Oct 23 with 7798 viewsSteve_M

Ipswich seems too small a town to get away with that in for very long.

I'm always dubious about any article which names an individual though, they can be wrong and have serious consequences for innocent people.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:18 - Oct 23 with 7766 viewschicoazul

Stuff like this is awful. Many bars and restaurants are family industries and a hit like £100 really hurts.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:18 - Oct 23 with 7768 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:15 - Oct 23 by Steve_M

Ipswich seems too small a town to get away with that in for very long.

I'm always dubious about any article which names an individual though, they can be wrong and have serious consequences for innocent people.

Exactly, he can only do this for so long and for the reason you've noted, I wouldn't name him. I wasn't convinced by the photo provided that it matched the chap that people have decided to name as "The Perp".

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:18 - Oct 23 with 7761 viewsReuser_is_God

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:14 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

That's the one. Tw@t's behaviour.

Link?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:19 - Oct 23 with 7751 viewschicoazul

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:13 - Oct 23 by hype313

Really??? Boasting that he has mugged people off? What a penis.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:20 - Oct 23 with 7748 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:18 - Oct 23 by Reuser_is_God

Link?

PM.

Login to get fewer ads

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:22 - Oct 23 with 7725 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:19 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

Really??? Boasting that he has mugged people off? What a penis.

No, he's been named & shamed as a warning to other bar owners to inc picture evidence.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:23 - Oct 23 with 7732 viewsmaccyd9

Went for an Indian last night at the Bekash on Meredith Road and they had a sign up saying they have been the victim of that exact scam.

Scum.
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:24 - Oct 23 with 7431 viewsIllinoisblue

I think over here it’s standard procedure for a bar to run your card upon opening a tab.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:31 - Oct 23 with 7378 viewsSarge

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:24 - Oct 23 by Illinoisblue

I think over here it’s standard procedure for a bar to run your card upon opening a tab.

Surely that can be bypassed by simply buying Diet Coke instead
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:39 - Oct 23 with 7347 viewshype313

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:24 - Oct 23 by Illinoisblue

The Newbourne Fox swipe 1p from your card when you start a tab. Surprised all establishments didn't do this

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:44 - Oct 23 with 7314 viewsIllinoisblue

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:39 - Oct 23 by hype313

The Newbourne Fox swipe 1p from your card when you start a tab. Surprised all establishments didn't do this

Indeed - seems an obvious and simple fix

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:07 - Oct 23 with 7218 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:20 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

PM.

Me too please.

Poll: Best Football Song

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:11 - Oct 23 with 7188 viewsGeoffSentence

Whose expired cards is he using? His own? Stolen ones?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:15 - Oct 23 with 7163 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:07 - Oct 23 by RoyKeanesDog

Me too please.

Found it.

Poll: Best Football Song

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:35 - Oct 23 with 7108 viewswitchdoctor

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:15 - Oct 23 by RoyKeanesDog

Found it.

do you know him mate?
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:39 - Oct 23 with 7090 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:15 - Oct 23 by RoyKeanesDog

Found it.

Sorted?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:52 - Oct 23 with 7037 viewsjeera

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 10:22 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

No, he's been named & shamed as a warning to other bar owners to inc picture evidence.

I don't get it. As someone else says, are they his/stolen? How many expired cards can he have? They'd have his name on them so can't be that?

Why aren't the police involved, or does this fall into their "too trivial to bother with" category?

I need to know all of these things.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:56 - Oct 23 with 7024 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:52 - Oct 23 by jeera

I don't get it. As someone else says, are they his/stolen? How many expired cards can he have? They'd have his name on them so can't be that?

Why aren't the police involved, or does this fall into their "too trivial to bother with" category?

I need to know all of these things.

Can't help on all but the FB page has a picture of him plus the name on the card left behind the till. A quick Facebook search has identified someone from Ipswich with the same name who looks like the man in the picture.

The FB page does say that Police are aware.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:59 - Oct 23 with 7002 viewsjeera

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:56 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

Can't help on all but the FB page has a picture of him plus the name on the card left behind the till. A quick Facebook search has identified someone from Ipswich with the same name who looks like the man in the picture.

The FB page does say that Police are aware.

I suppose it is possible a wallet has been found with old cards in it then.

I know I'm a b*gger for letting old ones clog up my wallet.

He is a rubbish crook if not.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 14:00]

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:02 - Oct 23 with 6981 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Always but a lot more people pay by cards over here. For drink tabs it must be 90% cash in the UK I would think.
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:06 - Oct 23 with 6958 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:59 - Oct 23 by jeera

I suppose it is possible a wallet has been found with old cards in it then.

I know I'm a b*gger for letting old ones clog up my wallet.

He is a rubbish crook if not.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 14:00]

As mentioned in the OP, I do know the man named but I'm not 100% convinced that the picture is him, so best to tread carefully, I reckon.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:07 - Oct 23 with 6943 viewsjeera

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:06 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

As mentioned in the OP, I do know the man named but I'm not 100% convinced that the picture is him, so best to tread carefully, I reckon.

Nothing worse than mistaken ID.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024