Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something for everyone today 17:24 - Oct 28 with 10005 viewsSteve_M

A poor game between two poor teams for the most part, changed by three decent substitutions and two very good goals. Much of the criticism of MM for piling forwards onto the pitch remains valid but we're regularly beating the poor teams in this division.

Is that enough? Not really but it's a whole lot better than not beating them.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Something for everyone today on 19:22 - Oct 28 with 3701 viewschristiand

Something for everyone today on 19:17 - Oct 28 by SomethingBlue

Now, what you've done here is assume that if people don't take your view they must think everything at the club is unquestionably perfect and rosy. Can't you see that you've done that? You're not looking especially bright here.

Neither are you in this regard I must say something blue, you seem a little blinkered with your view. You must be in the category where everything is fine at the club?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Something for everyone today on 19:25 - Oct 28 with 3690 viewsSomethingBlue

Something for everyone today on 19:22 - Oct 28 by christiand

Neither are you in this regard I must say something blue, you seem a little blinkered with your view. You must be in the category where everything is fine at the club?

I'm absolutely not in that category. Do you see where this is going wrong for you?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Something for everyone today on 19:28 - Oct 28 with 3678 viewschristiand

Something for everyone today on 19:25 - Oct 28 by SomethingBlue

I'm absolutely not in that category. Do you see where this is going wrong for you?

No not really.

Something for everyone today on 19:29 - Oct 28 with 3673 viewsSomethingBlue

Something for everyone today on 19:28 - Oct 28 by christiand

No not really.

As I thought. Worth a try.

Something for everyone today on 19:39 - Oct 28 with 3652 viewsSuperfrans

Worth also highlighting (for those who weren’t there) that the wind caused havoc all game. We played better when playing with the wind in the second half - their keeper thumped pretty much every kick off the sidelines, Bart did a little better.

Bart was my MoM, for the double save in the first half and two other saves which kept us in the game.

It’s clear that the negativity about MM is never going to abate though - and fans are even taking it out on the players too, which just isn’t fair or productive. Knudsen struggled at times and got jeers from a few around me, as did Ward a couple of times (although I thinking it was because he simply wasn’t Bersant Celina - which is not really his fault).

Celina will be the Story of the game though. Great finish, his best cameo since being at the club - but he had the benefit of a tired defence to play against and was clearly fired up. He also found space better than I’ve seen from him before tho, which is a positive sign.

He has to do that a bit more regularly before I join the “he must start every game” club though....

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Something for everyone today on 19:45 - Oct 28 with 3643 viewschristiand

Something for everyone today on 19:39 - Oct 28 by Superfrans

Worth also highlighting (for those who weren’t there) that the wind caused havoc all game. We played better when playing with the wind in the second half - their keeper thumped pretty much every kick off the sidelines, Bart did a little better.

Bart was my MoM, for the double save in the first half and two other saves which kept us in the game.

It’s clear that the negativity about MM is never going to abate though - and fans are even taking it out on the players too, which just isn’t fair or productive. Knudsen struggled at times and got jeers from a few around me, as did Ward a couple of times (although I thinking it was because he simply wasn’t Bersant Celina - which is not really his fault).

Celina will be the Story of the game though. Great finish, his best cameo since being at the club - but he had the benefit of a tired defence to play against and was clearly fired up. He also found space better than I’ve seen from him before tho, which is a positive sign.

He has to do that a bit more regularly before I join the “he must start every game” club though....

All good points on the game. Difficult for Celina to do when he gets limited game time though superfrans. Talented players have that flaw in their character perhaps it is an attitude thing, but he does have that quality about him to be a game changer.

Something for everyone today on 19:51 - Oct 28 with 3632 viewsSuperfrans

Something for everyone today on 19:45 - Oct 28 by christiand

All good points on the game. Difficult for Celina to do when he gets limited game time though superfrans. Talented players have that flaw in their character perhaps it is an attitude thing, but he does have that quality about him to be a game changer.

He absolutely does have it in him to be a fantastic player. But he needs to learn how to make himself available, how to find space and when to try the audacious. Before today he’s tended to run into crowds of players, mostly head centrally, when he can do more damage in other parts of the pitch.

Today was the best I’ve seen of him though, possibly because he was fired up, possibly because Burton were tiring, maybe also because he is learning.

He’s not the messiah though.

[cue - “he’s a very naughty boy” comeback]

Something for everyone today on 01:53 - Oct 29 with 3586 viewsHerbivore

Something for everyone today on 18:17 - Oct 28 by christiand

I find your blind loyalty towards MM rather amusing you clearly aren't much of a fan of the club if you are satisfied with what is currently being served up? I'd suggest you take your head out of the 'blue bubble' you obviously surround yourself with and take a look at other clubs and ones that do it well. Just for your information, that's 'NOT' ITFC Herbivore you might have to look a little further afield.

Most of the good sides around the world, encourage their younger sides to play in the same way as the first team, they also coach their players to have a good understanding of their role and what's expected of them in that position. This then allows players to easily slip into that system, it's not rocket science. Oh, on the England aspect, I suggest you do a bit of research on the England DNA on the FA website that might also help to clear the muddy waters for you too!

You never know Herbivore, you might come back with a more educated opinion, but I'm not holding my breath.

So can you tell me then specifically which other side's youth teams you've been watching in order to inform your view about how other sides use their youth teams in comparison to ours. Now you don't go to Portman Road anymore I imagine it frees you up to watch other football but I'd be interested to hear the evidence base you've built up in the links between youth and senior teams on your travels.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Something for everyone today on 02:24 - Oct 29 with 3577 viewsjeera

Something for everyone today on 18:17 - Oct 28 by christiand

I find your blind loyalty towards MM rather amusing you clearly aren't much of a fan of the club if you are satisfied with what is currently being served up? I'd suggest you take your head out of the 'blue bubble' you obviously surround yourself with and take a look at other clubs and ones that do it well. Just for your information, that's 'NOT' ITFC Herbivore you might have to look a little further afield.

Most of the good sides around the world, encourage their younger sides to play in the same way as the first team, they also coach their players to have a good understanding of their role and what's expected of them in that position. This then allows players to easily slip into that system, it's not rocket science. Oh, on the England aspect, I suggest you do a bit of research on the England DNA on the FA website that might also help to clear the muddy waters for you too!

You never know Herbivore, you might come back with a more educated opinion, but I'm not holding my breath.

"Most of the good sides around the world, encourage their younger sides to play in the same way as the first team, they also coach their players to have a good understanding of their role and what's expected of them in that position. This then allows players to easily slip into that system, it's not rocket science. "

You really need to be backing this up. You can't just say, "Oh most clubs etc", when you don't really have any info to back such a broad claim, especially when using it as such a strong attack on the club et al.

However, I am one of those who likes to also whinge a bit how an ideology doesn't run through the club from the academy to the first team and I have said a few times how a DoF, (yeah yeah - I've even been one of those nostalgic types who's mention GB as the perfect candidate too), would be the solution for this idealistic approach.

Joe offered a reasonable response to this during the week, (or last week even), but I'm blowed if I can find it.

There's nothing wrong with putting thoughts/ideas out there chap, but you gotta take on board what people say without dismissing them out of hand just because they don't fit the crazed agenda of yours and a few others.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Something for everyone today on 07:13 - Oct 29 with 3554 viewstextbackup

Something for everyone today on 17:34 - Oct 28 by Herbivore

All youth teams play passing football, it's very different at senior level and the same is true at many clubs.

ah, don't even consider we could be the exception to the rule then, break that mould, think out of the box. we'll do what everyone else does then, but worse.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Something for everyone today on 10:13 - Oct 29 with 3514 viewschristiand

Something for everyone today on 02:24 - Oct 29 by jeera

"Most of the good sides around the world, encourage their younger sides to play in the same way as the first team, they also coach their players to have a good understanding of their role and what's expected of them in that position. This then allows players to easily slip into that system, it's not rocket science. "

You really need to be backing this up. You can't just say, "Oh most clubs etc", when you don't really have any info to back such a broad claim, especially when using it as such a strong attack on the club et al.

However, I am one of those who likes to also whinge a bit how an ideology doesn't run through the club from the academy to the first team and I have said a few times how a DoF, (yeah yeah - I've even been one of those nostalgic types who's mention GB as the perfect candidate too), would be the solution for this idealistic approach.

Joe offered a reasonable response to this during the week, (or last week even), but I'm blowed if I can find it.

There's nothing wrong with putting thoughts/ideas out there chap, but you gotta take on board what people say without dismissing them out of hand just because they don't fit the crazed agenda of yours and a few others.

Jeera that’s quite disappointing to read those comments especially how dismissive you are being. I do despair when others imply that not having continuity in a club doesn’t happen. Clubs who can see the bigger picture will do, in fact decent sides do encourage it: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Even Crewe Alexandra did it well for years under Dario Gradi. No doubt I’ll have dismissive responses: ‘Why are you comparing us to those clubs?’ I’ve been to those clubs training grounds and spoken with fans and other representatives and they have confirmed what I have said in earlier posts. It makes so much sense, having that fluency throughout a club, so players understand their roles and expectations makes so much sense. If you have a young lad starting in the first team, but playing in a position he is used to playing he appreciates what’s needed from him for the team’s benefit.

My point, is we simply don’t do it here at Ipswich. MM is constantly changing personnel and formation, each week, no wonder there is confusion from the players and our play is limited at times. We just look a team of 11 individuals thrown together. The whole point of the FA’s England DNA is having that continuity at all levels of football from youth through to the full national side. We have continuity to a degree, with our academy and U23s then that’s when it comes to a shuddering halt.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2017 10:16]

Something for everyone today on 10:15 - Oct 29 with 3509 viewsSomethingBlue

Something for everyone today on 10:13 - Oct 29 by christiand

Jeera that’s quite disappointing to read those comments especially how dismissive you are being. I do despair when others imply that not having continuity in a club doesn’t happen. Clubs who can see the bigger picture will do, in fact decent sides do encourage it: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Even Crewe Alexandra did it well for years under Dario Gradi. No doubt I’ll have dismissive responses: ‘Why are you comparing us to those clubs?’ I’ve been to those clubs training grounds and spoken with fans and other representatives and they have confirmed what I have said in earlier posts. It makes so much sense, having that fluency throughout a club, so players understand their roles and expectations makes so much sense. If you have a young lad starting in the first team, but playing in a position he is used to playing he appreciates what’s needed from him for the team’s benefit.

My point, is we simply don’t do it here at Ipswich. MM is constantly changing personnel and formation, each week, no wonder there is confusion from the players and our play is limited at times. We just look a team of 11 individuals thrown together. The whole point of the FA’s England DNA is having that continuity at all levels of football from youth through to the full national side. We have continuity to a degree, with our academy and U23s then that’s when it comes to a shuddering halt.

Would love to hear more about your experiences at Barca, Madrid and Arsenal, especially with such privileged access — don't be shy!

Something for everyone today on 10:19 - Oct 29 with 3502 viewschristiand

Something for everyone today on 10:15 - Oct 29 by SomethingBlue

Would love to hear more about your experiences at Barca, Madrid and Arsenal, especially with such privileged access — don't be shy!

I’m going to quit while I’m ahead Something Blue. I can’t keep giving you and Herbivore more than valid reasons behind my own arguments to justify my opinions, but when you have played at a professional level it gives you that access.

Something for everyone today on 10:30 - Oct 29 with 3492 viewsHerbivore

Something for everyone today on 10:19 - Oct 29 by christiand

I’m going to quit while I’m ahead Something Blue. I can’t keep giving you and Herbivore more than valid reasons behind my own arguments to justify my opinions, but when you have played at a professional level it gives you that access.

Chinny reckon.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Something for everyone today on 10:37 - Oct 29 with 3480 viewsm14_blue

I think it's time for a change (and was in the summer) but one thing that can't be denied is that Mick is almost universally admired and respected amongst the ex pros and managers that have played for/against him.
Something for everyone today on 10:40 - Oct 29 with 3473 viewsjeera

Something for everyone today on 10:13 - Oct 29 by christiand

I hardly be accused of dismissing all you said when I was clear that I even share your sentiment on one point.

I even said that Joe made me think slightly differently on the matter when I read his comment the other day. I don't completely buy it but he has a point when he says the tail can't wag the dog. The academy is a different kettle of fish to the first team altogether and for some posters to say that the academy staff should be running the show, (which I've seen a few times now), is daft.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Something for everyone today on 11:00 - Oct 29 with 3461 viewsSomethingBlue

Have to do better than that, fella.

Something for everyone today on 11:51 - Oct 29 with 3437 viewsBluebell

Something for everyone today on 19:39 - Oct 28 by Superfrans

Picking up on your comment about the wind...

We walked to and from the station to the game so about a mile and a half each way and there was no wind either time.

It almost seems as if Burton's ground is like a wind tunnel because it is open on all corners and not very high stands. Their players are obviously used to playing in those conditions and coped much better than we did with it. Bart couldn't kick beyond the half way line in the first half which made it difficult to control.

The second half was better because it was going the 'right' way but Burton's players, being used to it, were able to control the ball better.

Except for our two goals, of course.
Something for everyone today on 12:13 - Oct 29 with 3425 viewshadleighboyblue

Something for everyone today on 18:35 - Oct 28 by WestSussexBlue

I would say you have got that spot on, the only thing I would add is we also lack someone who is Town through and through.

ITFC used to be a club that was respected for it's good football and it's friendliness and with a manager that was respected by the football world in general .

Sadly we are none of those things these days thanks to the attitude of the owner and the manager .

It must be time to change things - we have some great young talent coming through the club , let's not waste it .
Something for everyone today on 12:16 - Oct 29 with 3419 viewsSuperfrans

Something for everyone today on 12:13 - Oct 29 by hadleighboyblue

ITFC used to be a club that was respected for it's good football and it's friendliness and with a manager that was respected by the football world in general .

Sadly we are none of those things these days thanks to the attitude of the owner and the manager .

It must be time to change things - we have some great young talent coming through the club , let's not waste it .

We’re still respected for our manager and our friendliness. You may not believe it, but we are.

Something for everyone today on 12:19 - Oct 29 with 3411 viewsSuperfrans

Something for everyone today on 11:51 - Oct 29 by Bluebell

Picking up on your comment about the wind...

We walked to and from the station to the game so about a mile and a half each way and there was no wind either time.

It almost seems as if Burton's ground is like a wind tunnel because it is open on all corners and not very high stands. Their players are obviously used to playing in those conditions and coped much better than we did with it. Bart couldn't kick beyond the half way line in the first half which made it difficult to control.

The second half was better because it was going the 'right' way but Burton's players, being used to it, were able to control the ball better.

Except for our two goals, of course.

I thought that about the ground too. It has three very low stands on three sides, which would allow the wind to whistle through quite easily - compared to Portman Road.

The first half we really struggled - although I couldn’t understand why we didn’t play on the ground more, as we did vs Norwich last week (in the first half particularly). We were better in the second half.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024