Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 310898 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:32 - Nov 26 with 8925 viewsvapour_trail

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:00 - Nov 26 by Reuser_is_God

Didn't expect to wake up to that, especially after we started the day so well.

FFS England.

It’s the hope that kills you.

Gutted to wake up to that scorecard.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:40 - Nov 26 with 8903 viewsRadlett_blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:32 - Nov 26 by vapour_trail

England need to regroup but there aren't many appealing selection options, except Overton in for Ball. If Moeen can't bowl properly we have a real problem, which illustrates the folly of bringing Crane, who would be cannon fodder for the Aussies & lengthen the already long tail. Trying to play Lyon more aggressively is a necessity - if he ties up an end, then Smith can rotate his fast bowlers.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:32 - Nov 26 with 8879 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:52 - Nov 26 by TLA

It was a strange one - only the keeper seemed interested but there was definitely something on hotspot and snicko.

Jimmy and Broady have to get us in it now but even a couple of early wickets just bring us to Smith!

What was even stranger (according to TMS, I was in the kitchen & without pics) was that the extra thickness of the line determined a decision!! We seem doomed to cr@p decisions from officials this w/e ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:51 - Nov 26 with 8868 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:32 - Nov 26 by Ryorry

What was even stranger (according to TMS, I was in the kitchen & without pics) was that the extra thickness of the line determined a decision!! We seem doomed to cr@p decisions from officials this w/e ...

It's going to take some dedication to stay up and watch what is left of this match tonight. The annoying thing is, I have no work tomorrow so would have been perfect for an all nighter.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 13:03]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:22 - Nov 26 with 8849 viewsstonojnr

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:32 - Nov 26 by Ryorry

the keepers upto the stumps, you know if you miss its a stumping, Mooen takes all the issue about where the dubious line is, if he makes sure his big step forward doesnt end up on the line, he's not a rookie anymore so he knows these things,and can accept its a mistake,

so dont blame the officials for it, its the same when a bowler oversteps for a no ball, you know where the line is however badly its painted, you know what you are supposed to do, make sure you do it and then the officials dont have to be called on to judge the pixelation depth of a line.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:25 - Nov 26 with 8848 viewsgordon

At least there's some off-field shenanigans to distract from what's going on on the pitch. And good to see our lads aren't afraid of getting amongst it after the Stokes affair:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42128685
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:50 - Nov 26 with 8835 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:25 - Nov 26 by gordon

At least there's some off-field shenanigans to distract from what's going on on the pitch. And good to see our lads aren't afraid of getting amongst it after the Stokes affair:

Just heard about this - without Bairstow and Stokes, we don't look good!

On the pitch, Broad will take 8-14 to beat his best figures; Root will knock over Smith for a Golden and Bairstow will stump Bancroft off the bowling of Cook. I'll be there at midnight to watch it all unfold!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:01 - Nov 26 with 8808 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Woke up this morning at 6am, saw the score. After getting over the shock at not only our batting collapse but the Aussies batting so easily on the same pitch, I rolled over and went back to bed.

The test match is over. I'll watch the NFL tonight.

See you lot back here Thursday for the second test

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:39 - Nov 26 with 8796 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:01 - Nov 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Woke up this morning at 6am, saw the score. After getting over the shock at not only our batting collapse but the Aussies batting so easily on the same pitch, I rolled over and went back to bed.

The test match is over. I'll watch the NFL tonight.

See you lot back here Thursday for the second test

If you'd have watched the first 50 minutes like me you'd have been even more shocked.

We were completely untroubled until Stoneman got out. I was quietly confident of victory.

The Stokes situation has left a massive hole in our bowling, batting & the mentality of the team, we need him back.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 15:41]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:08 - Nov 26 with 8777 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:39 - Nov 26 by Reuser_is_God

If you'd have watched the first 50 minutes like me you'd have been even more shocked.

We were completely untroubled until Stoneman got out. I was quietly confident of victory.

The Stokes situation has left a massive hole in our bowling, batting & the mentality of the team, we need him back.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 15:41]

Stoneman was calm last night from what I saw. I'm hopeful he will have a good series. I'm more worried by or middle order. And the lack of threat Moeen has offered in comparison to Lyon.

As for Stokes.. I'd have him back in a heartbeat

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 18:13 - Nov 26 with 8731 viewsMelford

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:08 - Nov 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Stoneman was calm last night from what I saw. I'm hopeful he will have a good series. I'm more worried by or middle order. And the lack of threat Moeen has offered in comparison to Lyon.

As for Stokes.. I'd have him back in a heartbeat

Imagine this. Half an hour before play....

And it's Ben Stokes in a Union Jack suit landing on the pitch.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 18:31 - Nov 26 with 8723 viewsMelford

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:32 - Nov 26 by vapour_trail

I watched the first 3 days from start to finish. Didn't watch last night because I went on a birdspotting weekend at Minsmere and we couldn't get WiFi at the campsite. Woke up this morning and the first thing I did when I got up was check the score. First thought was F*******************************k, then then my next thought was at least I didn't sit up all night watching that.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 19:26 - Nov 26 with 8704 viewsSteve_M

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:16 - Nov 26 by gainsboroughblue

Frankly, we've squandered this. At 209-7, we had the Aussies in the palm of our hands but in a true England manner, we took the foot of the gas and allowed them back in, and then the momentum swung with that short burst their quicks had at the end of day 3.

The taking off of Anderson three overs into the new ball at that critical point may well be because he had a slight injury, but the noises coming out of the dressing room contradict that and I'm not buying the comment Broad came out with (or more likely was told to say) about bowlers needing to be rotated and not overworked. You do not take out your best bowler of an attack when the new ball is 6 overs old and you have your foot close to the throat of the opposition. Especially when you had the end of one session and the start of the next in sight.

That post lunch session was painfully poor from Root and it is alarmingly clear to see, that once Broad and Anderson are seen off, there really is nothing for the Aussies to worry about.

We've heard how Adelaide is our test to win. Well, it needs to be now.

Yes, pretty much. Plus failing to go on from a good position in the first innings and letting Australia back into the match from 76/4. We've competed well up to a point and then let it slip. Steve Smith was excellent but we needed to do so much better.

Today has been poor.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:49 - Nov 26 with 8667 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 18:31 - Nov 26 by Melford

I watched the first 3 days from start to finish. Didn't watch last night because I went on a birdspotting weekend at Minsmere and we couldn't get WiFi at the campsite. Woke up this morning and the first thing I did when I got up was check the score. First thought was F*******************************k, then then my next thought was at least I didn't sit up all night watching that.

Yep. I saw all three of the first three days.

First thing I did when waking up this morning was to check and I was just stunned.

I'm hindsight, why am I suprised, we always blow it when doing alright

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:56 - Nov 26 with 8659 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 18:31 - Nov 26 by Melford

ha ha

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:11 - Nov 27 with 8618 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:25 - Nov 26 by gordon

The whole thing's completely ridiculous. Why's the issue only been raised now, instead of 4 weeks ago when it happened? Is it because we're losing? Why is it only Bairstow who's being taken to task about it, not Bancroft? Anyone might think an Aussie tabloid was trying to sh1tstir or something ...

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:16 - Nov 27 with 8615 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:50 - Nov 26 by TLA

Just heard about this - without Bairstow and Stokes, we don't look good!

On the pitch, Broad will take 8-14 to beat his best figures; Root will knock over Smith for a Golden and Bairstow will stump Bancroft off the bowling of Cook. I'll be there at midnight to watch it all unfold!

Even Ian Botham at Headingley in 1981 had more room left to play with!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:47 - Nov 27 with 8593 viewsRyorry

"Quiet on here isn't it?"

At least finding my coat won't be hard ...

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:42 - Nov 27 with 8546 viewscatch74

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:10 - Nov 22 by catch74

3-2 England Roit and Cook to nullify Warner and Smiths runs, Woakes to surprise with wickets and runs plus Ali to outperform Lyon. Malan or however you spell his name gets more runs than thought too.
I can dream..
Oh and Bairstow def better keeper batsman than Paine.

I’m changing my prediction to 4-1 to England.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:46 - Nov 27 with 8543 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:42 - Nov 27 by catch74

I’m changing my prediction to 4-1 to England.

That's the spirit catch - there was definitely enough in this performance to justify a prediction change!

Looking forward to Saturday - if we bat first we're going to be 200 without loss at tea and kick on from there. If they bat first, they'll be lucky to make 100...
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:52 - Nov 27 with 8541 viewslocalboy78

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:47 - Nov 27 by Ryorry

"Quiet on here isn't it?"

At least finding my coat won't be hard ...

I missed all of this mornings play. Well, what there was of it. No one wins at the Gabba, of course, but we had our chances. Once again we let them get away. Once again Smith is proved to be the only real class act and his innings changed everything. He was lucky that he had a couple of players able to hang around with him, Jonny - poor daft Jonny who is being stitched up by the Aussie press who were itching to be given the chance to do just that - didn't have that luxury and holed out when he knew he was going to have to go it alone.

Ali said his bowling was rubbish, that it was his finger that hurt, but it didn't affect it. Though in amongst the infuriating "banter" Swann made an interesting point about his revs and pace being down and that pointed more towards a dodgy shoulder. If he's not fit then someone has effed up badly and needs to be held responsible.

Might as well have taken Rashid. At least he can turn the ball.

Broad and Jimmy are going to have to bowl like Gods with a swinging pink ball next up. Root needs to do what Smith did. Jonny needs to land a headbut on Bancroft's nose this time and somehow we need to get over our inherent inferiority complex. Punter said on day three that this was England's for the taking, but we didn't even bowl broad and Anderson with the new ball.

But my daughter has enjoyed it, she likes getting up to watch telly first thing, even if she still thinks it's football.

See you for the next one. Cheers.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:25 - Nov 27 with 8522 viewsRadlett_blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:52 - Nov 27 by localboy78

I missed all of this mornings play. Well, what there was of it. No one wins at the Gabba, of course, but we had our chances. Once again we let them get away. Once again Smith is proved to be the only real class act and his innings changed everything. He was lucky that he had a couple of players able to hang around with him, Jonny - poor daft Jonny who is being stitched up by the Aussie press who were itching to be given the chance to do just that - didn't have that luxury and holed out when he knew he was going to have to go it alone.

Ali said his bowling was rubbish, that it was his finger that hurt, but it didn't affect it. Though in amongst the infuriating "banter" Swann made an interesting point about his revs and pace being down and that pointed more towards a dodgy shoulder. If he's not fit then someone has effed up badly and needs to be held responsible.

Might as well have taken Rashid. At least he can turn the ball.

Broad and Jimmy are going to have to bowl like Gods with a swinging pink ball next up. Root needs to do what Smith did. Jonny needs to land a headbut on Bancroft's nose this time and somehow we need to get over our inherent inferiority complex. Punter said on day three that this was England's for the taking, but we didn't even bowl broad and Anderson with the new ball.

But my daughter has enjoyed it, she likes getting up to watch telly first thing, even if she still thinks it's football.

See you for the next one. Cheers.

Yes, if we've taken an unfit spinner, especially with an untried 20 year old as back up, that's senseless. Also questions to be asked about Anderson's fitness - as well as expecting a 35 year old to lead your attack in a demanding Ashes tour.
Almost everyone questioned the decision to play Ball ahead of Overton & nothing that Ball did in this game has changed that, although Overton hasn't necessarily become a better bowler by not playing.
And have the umpires suddenly become ignorant of the "2 bouncers per over" rule? Ball received 5 in succession I think.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:15 - Nov 27 with 8501 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:25 - Nov 27 by Radlett_blue

Yes, if we've taken an unfit spinner, especially with an untried 20 year old as back up, that's senseless. Also questions to be asked about Anderson's fitness - as well as expecting a 35 year old to lead your attack in a demanding Ashes tour.
Almost everyone questioned the decision to play Ball ahead of Overton & nothing that Ball did in this game has changed that, although Overton hasn't necessarily become a better bowler by not playing.
And have the umpires suddenly become ignorant of the "2 bouncers per over" rule? Ball received 5 in succession I think.

A touch of 13/14 about this already.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:00 - Nov 27 with 8478 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:15 - Nov 27 by Reuser_is_God

A touch of 13/14 about this already.

Exactly my thoughts.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:14 - Nov 27 with 8429 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:25 - Nov 27 by Radlett_blue

That succession of bouncers was scandalous - do they have an umpire assessor present at the matches? If so, those two should be given a serious talking to, and/or a different pair of umps allocated to the next test (if they aren't automatically? not sure how umps are appointed).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024