Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 311081 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:29 - Dec 18 with 7556 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Day 5 should've began a hour and a half ago but a damp outfield has kept England in the ashes.

For now..

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:55 - Dec 18 with 7543 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:29 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Day 5 should've began a hour and a half ago but a damp outfield has kept England in the ashes.

For now..

Morning Rommy.

When I got up and saw a replay being shown, I thought the Ashes were done! It is interesting to watch Botham facing their quicks with no helmet!

I don't normally like matches massively influenced by weather but I'm so desperate for their to be something still on the Boxing Day test so let it rain!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:02 - Dec 18 with 7541 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:55 - Dec 18 by TLA

Morning Rommy.

When I got up and saw a replay being shown, I thought the Ashes were done! It is interesting to watch Botham facing their quicks with no helmet!

I don't normally like matches massively influenced by weather but I'm so desperate for their to be something still on the Boxing Day test so let it rain!

Morning

What it does mean is that I won't be sleeping tonight.

Usually I've been going to sleep at 6 which is just before the second session ends.

But I can see us desperately blocking out in the last session and it being entertaining in that sense.

Memories of Jimmy and Monty surviving 11 overs at Edgbaston to save the test
[Post edited 18 Dec 2017 4:03]

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:11 - Dec 18 with 7538 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:02 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Morning

What it does mean is that I won't be sleeping tonight.

Usually I've been going to sleep at 6 which is just before the second session ends.

But I can see us desperately blocking out in the last session and it being entertaining in that sense.

Memories of Jimmy and Monty surviving 11 overs at Edgbaston to save the test
[Post edited 18 Dec 2017 4:03]

I have to head out for work around 7:30 so I think I'm going to miss a critical passage of play.

The downside to losing 20 odd overs so fares that we won't get a lead and frustrate them - we'll be instantly in full defensive mode from the start and that rarely ends well.

The Jimmy and Monty show was incredible - I listened to it on TMS and every ball seemed like a week!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:28 - Dec 18 with 7533 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:11 - Dec 18 by TLA

I have to head out for work around 7:30 so I think I'm going to miss a critical passage of play.

The downside to losing 20 odd overs so fares that we won't get a lead and frustrate them - we'll be instantly in full defensive mode from the start and that rarely ends well.

The Jimmy and Monty show was incredible - I listened to it on TMS and every ball seemed like a week!

Every dot ball was greeted by a louder and louder cheer

I remember monty diving in when they ran a two despite the fielder only just picking the ball up when he dived in. It was hilarious.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:40 - Dec 18 with 7532 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:28 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Every dot ball was greeted by a louder and louder cheer

I remember monty diving in when they ran a two despite the fielder only just picking the ball up when he dived in. It was hilarious.

It was certainly the way to save a match!

Watching this, in spite of it favouring England, is a sad way to say farewell to the WACA.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:52 - Dec 18 with 7528 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:40 - Dec 18 by TLA

It was certainly the way to save a match!

Watching this, in spite of it favouring England, is a sad way to say farewell to the WACA.

Oh I forgot that this is the last ashes game here.

You are spot on - it's not a fitting way to leave one the famous Ashes grounds

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:13 - Dec 18 with 7522 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:52 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Oh I forgot that this is the last ashes game here.

You are spot on - it's not a fitting way to leave one the famous Ashes grounds

Jonny's gone - could be done by tea.
Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:29 - Dec 18 with 7517 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:13 - Dec 18 by TLA

Jonny's gone - could be done by tea.

Not looking good is it

I haven't even the energy to do the wicket klaxon 🚨Because we are that predictably rubbish

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:38 - Dec 18 with 7513 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I have absolutely no faith in Moeen.

Every time he bats, no matter the situation, he seems to get out playing a ridiculous shot. His batting temperament is awful.

We are now batting for time and the draw and yet I still reckon he will get caught playing a sweep or some other nonsense shot.

Malan batting beautifully

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:38 - Dec 18 with 7513 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:29 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Not looking good is it

I haven't even the energy to do the wicket klaxon 🚨Because we are that predictably rubbish

It's strange to look forward to something for so long and for it to potentially be over so quickly.

Their lead was just too much though - if we were now within about 30, we would have a target other than defending because then every run takes a little out of their bowlers. I'm guessing they'll also get 20 odd overs with a new ball, should they need it.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:55 - Dec 18 with 7508 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:38 - Dec 18 by TLA

It's strange to look forward to something for so long and for it to potentially be over so quickly.

Their lead was just too much though - if we were now within about 30, we would have a target other than defending because then every run takes a little out of their bowlers. I'm guessing they'll also get 20 odd overs with a new ball, should they need it.

I expect this to go to the last hour but only because I really rate Malan. He will carry on digging in

If the better skilled players like Root had his temperament, none of this would've happened where we were scrapping for a draw just to keep the series alive even in the third test

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:00 - Dec 18 with 7506 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:55 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

I expect this to go to the last hour but only because I really rate Malan. He will carry on digging in

If the better skilled players like Root had his temperament, none of this would've happened where we were scrapping for a draw just to keep the series alive even in the third test

That's bang on Rommy.

Root should have had another 7 or 8 centuries to his name - he's way more talented than Smith but just lacks the application, which oddly he seemed to have early on in his career. Malan is looking like he'll nail down one of the those places longterm.

I'm so desperate for the series to still be alive for the 26th!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:10 - Dec 18 with 7503 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:00 - Dec 18 by TLA

That's bang on Rommy.

Root should have had another 7 or 8 centuries to his name - he's way more talented than Smith but just lacks the application, which oddly he seemed to have early on in his career. Malan is looking like he'll nail down one of the those places longterm.

I'm so desperate for the series to still be alive for the 26th!

As you say, smith has that ability to turn 50s into 100s. Which, in test cricket, is an absolutely enormous thing. For both the scorecard and the momentum of a match.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:12 - Dec 18 with 7500 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:10 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

As you say, smith has that ability to turn 50s into 100s. Which, in test cricket, is an absolutely enormous thing. For both the scorecard and the momentum of a match.

Moeen's poor tour continues - I reckon I will see then end before I leave at 7:30!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:34 - Dec 18 with 7498 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:12 - Dec 18 by TLA

Moeen's poor tour continues - I reckon I will see then end before I leave at 7:30!

I'm struggling to stay up tbh

Might call it a night if another wicket falls

50 for Malan. Well batted lad.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:41 - Dec 18 with 7495 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:34 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm struggling to stay up tbh

Might call it a night if another wicket falls

50 for Malan. Well batted lad.

Even if we make it to tea, they'll have a new ball to bowl at our tail with.

I think dreams of a Jimmy/Monty style end are too far-fetched this time!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:49 - Dec 18 with 7492 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:41 - Dec 18 by TLA

Even if we make it to tea, they'll have a new ball to bowl at our tail with.

I think dreams of a Jimmy/Monty style end are too far-fetched this time!

A new ball on this pitch will be a nightmare to bat against

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:57 - Dec 18 with 7492 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Malan out. Caught behind. Awful short ball and Malan tries to pull and gloves it through to Paine.

That's it folks. I'm off to bed.

Ashes over in 3 tests. Our best two batsman have scored the half the runs combined that Malan got. Our best spinner barely picked up a wicket. Our pace bowlers failed on numebrous occasions to get smith out for less than a decent score. Clearly an issue in camp as well with the number of drink related incidents (albeit minor ones). You'd think they might think to themselves to just stay away from the limelight and anything that can cause problems for themselves.

Terrible tour on the pitch. Terrible tour off of it.

Complete pile of sh1te.

Going to get a couple of hours sleep now. Night TLA.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:22 - Dec 18 with 7485 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:57 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Malan out. Caught behind. Awful short ball and Malan tries to pull and gloves it through to Paine.

That's it folks. I'm off to bed.

Ashes over in 3 tests. Our best two batsman have scored the half the runs combined that Malan got. Our best spinner barely picked up a wicket. Our pace bowlers failed on numebrous occasions to get smith out for less than a decent score. Clearly an issue in camp as well with the number of drink related incidents (albeit minor ones). You'd think they might think to themselves to just stay away from the limelight and anything that can cause problems for themselves.

Terrible tour on the pitch. Terrible tour off of it.

Complete pile of sh1te.

Going to get a couple of hours sleep now. Night TLA.

Night mate.

When you wake up you'll see that Jimmy and Woakes have batted 40 overs to save it!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:25 - Dec 18 with 7483 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:11 - Dec 18 by TLA

Don't worry TLA you'll see the last wicket fall before you leave for work. England are so accommodating like that!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:26 - Dec 18 with 7482 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:25 - Dec 18 by christiand

Don't worry TLA you'll see the last wicket fall before you leave for work. England are so accommodating like that!

Morning chistiand - Jimmy's trying to delay it for me by getting hit on the helmet but I've still got 5 minutes to see us hand the urn over!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:01 - Dec 18 with 7460 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:55 - Dec 18 by TLA

Morning Rommy.

The main thing on it for us now is not losing 5 - 0 but it isn't looking good

I can't see enough in this team arrest the slide

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:08 - Dec 18 with 7449 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:55 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

The mainstay of our runs in the last 18 months have come from Cook, Root, Stokes and Bairstow with a bit of swashbuckling from Moeen Ali

Cook may as well have not turned up, Root again has struggled down under, Stokes isn't there, Bairstow hasn't done it enough and Moeen has looked like a tailender

It has been dreadful but our batting hasn't been all that convincing for a while

Stokes may have been the glue which held the middle order together but whether he was in Oz or not, I'm not sure he'd have made a vast distance

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:08 - Dec 18 with 7450 viewsSteve_M

England's last seven overseas Tests have all ended in defeat, three of them by an innings after scoring 400 in the first innings.

Some serious failings there that need to be addressed, although in home conditions England are a decent enough Test side. Very much a shift to home advantage dominating globally for most teams over the last few years.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024