Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 311049 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:16 - Dec 18 with 6530 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:08 - Dec 18 by Steve_M

England's last seven overseas Tests have all ended in defeat, three of them by an innings after scoring 400 in the first innings.

Some serious failings there that need to be addressed, although in home conditions England are a decent enough Test side. Very much a shift to home advantage dominating globally for most teams over the last few years.

I said the other day that we seem to be getting worse with every tour we go on. There is no way we should be losing this series 5-0.

I remeber South Africa being very good away from home under Graeme Smith but they’re very much the exception.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:26 - Dec 18 with 6521 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:08 - Dec 18 by bournemouthblue

The mainstay of our runs in the last 18 months have come from Cook, Root, Stokes and Bairstow with a bit of swashbuckling from Moeen Ali

Cook may as well have not turned up, Root again has struggled down under, Stokes isn't there, Bairstow hasn't done it enough and Moeen has looked like a tailender

It has been dreadful but our batting hasn't been all that convincing for a while

Stokes may have been the glue which held the middle order together but whether he was in Oz or not, I'm not sure he'd have made a vast distance

I couldn't agree more Bournemouth Blue, the senior players have been a real let down in this series and should feel embarrassed by their contribution. They should be the ones inspiring and leading by example, but they have been woeful.

Problem is who is out there to improve this XI? We suddenly look like we are short on depth in talent in this country for the longer format of the game. We lack application, discipline and mental toughness. However, many of the Lions squad have been disappointing, no one has put their hand up with any decent performances to convince the selectors they deserve to start in Melbourne.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:42 - Dec 18 with 6482 viewsgainsboroughblue

This has been utterly embarrassing, inept but completely predictable. No stomach for a fight from certain individuals too. The worst thing is though, other than Stokes, who else could and may have made a difference?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:22 - Dec 18 with 6467 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:42 - Dec 18 by gainsboroughblue

This has been utterly embarrassing, inept but completely predictable. No stomach for a fight from certain individuals too. The worst thing is though, other than Stokes, who else could and may have made a difference?

I despise Stuart Broad.

Evans out

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 19:09 - Dec 18 with 6378 viewsSuffolktractor

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:22 - Dec 18 by Reuser_is_God

I despise Stuart Broad.

Why?
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:01 - Dec 18 with 6351 viewsgordon

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 19:09 - Dec 18 by Suffolktractor

Why?

He's presumably pining for a return to the county pro seamer glory days of Jimmy Ormond, Mark Ilott, Martin McCague, Martin Bicknell and Tim Munton. It's rubbish having proper established test bowlers performing to a pretty high standard year after year.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:17 - Dec 18 with 6331 viewsMaySixth

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 21:01 - Dec 18 by gordon

He's presumably pining for a return to the county pro seamer glory days of Jimmy Ormond, Mark Ilott, Martin McCague, Martin Bicknell and Tim Munton. It's rubbish having proper established test bowlers performing to a pretty high standard year after year.

I am very optimistic about the future of English cricket.

In 18 months we will have a fantastic team and Paul Collingwood as Head Coach.

We will a have true quick in Jamie Overton, the Curran twins will be coming through nicely and Tom Abell and Haseeb Hameed will be fighting for spots in the top 5 alongside Vince, Malan, Root and Stoneman,

The key will be the spinner - Jack Leach is the best spinner we have but maybe Mason Crane will improve and be selected on merit.

Australia won't win in England and I don't think we will win there for a long long time.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2017 22:17]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:25 - Dec 19 with 6259 viewsYallop

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:17 - Dec 18 by MaySixth

I am very optimistic about the future of English cricket.

In 18 months we will have a fantastic team and Paul Collingwood as Head Coach.

We will a have true quick in Jamie Overton, the Curran twins will be coming through nicely and Tom Abell and Haseeb Hameed will be fighting for spots in the top 5 alongside Vince, Malan, Root and Stoneman,

The key will be the spinner - Jack Leach is the best spinner we have but maybe Mason Crane will improve and be selected on merit.

Australia won't win in England and I don't think we will win there for a long long time.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2017 22:17]

I agree that Jack Leach deserves a go but remember his stats are assisted because down at Somerset they produce spinning wickets and play 2 spinners
Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:42 - Dec 19 with 6259 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:25 - Dec 19 by Yallop

I agree that Jack Leach deserves a go but remember his stats are assisted because down at Somerset they produce spinning wickets and play 2 spinners

Is that still the case is it? I remember them producing bunsens for Mushtaq Ahmed when he was there, otherwise it was very much a batsman's paradise with shortish boundaries. It's pretty much what set Andy Caddick apart from pretty much every English bowler, seeing the figures he earned from playing there.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:10 - Dec 19 with 6236 viewsYallop

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:42 - Dec 19 by gainsboroughblue

Is that still the case is it? I remember them producing bunsens for Mushtaq Ahmed when he was there, otherwise it was very much a batsman's paradise with shortish boundaries. It's pretty much what set Andy Caddick apart from pretty much every English bowler, seeing the figures he earned from playing there.

Yeah it most certainly is. I remember Middlesex for one made a big fuss about the spinners surface laid on for their end of season clash.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:40 - Dec 20 with 6117 viewsSteve_M

This is well worth a read, a good, balanced summary of where England are:

https://thefield.scroll.in/862071/thrashed-in-india-pummeled-in-the-ashes-heres-

"England cricket fans are smart enough to realise that winning away from home against good teams is hard. What they find hard to stomach is getting battered in such an embarrassing fashion."

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:34 - Dec 20 with 6101 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 07:40 - Dec 20 by Steve_M

This is well worth a read, a good, balanced summary of where England are:

https://thefield.scroll.in/862071/thrashed-in-india-pummeled-in-the-ashes-heres-

"England cricket fans are smart enough to realise that winning away from home against good teams is hard. What they find hard to stomach is getting battered in such an embarrassing fashion."

That was a good read Steve - oh for that attack of Harmison, Flintoff, Jones and Hoggard.

We've performed badly on a few critical days in this series, otherwise it could easily be 1-1 going into Melbourne. However, there was always an inevitability that we would perform badly when we did.

How about an Ashes series on neutral territory? Where would be a place that equals things out?
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:55 - Dec 20 with 6094 viewsSteve_M

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:34 - Dec 20 by TLA

That was a good read Steve - oh for that attack of Harmison, Flintoff, Jones and Hoggard.

We've performed badly on a few critical days in this series, otherwise it could easily be 1-1 going into Melbourne. However, there was always an inevitability that we would perform badly when we did.

How about an Ashes series on neutral territory? Where would be a place that equals things out?

"How about an Ashes series on neutral territory? Where would be a place that equals things out?"

India or Sri Lanka might make it very interesting given both sides records there, one recent series apart, are pretty ropey.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:01 - Dec 20 with 6091 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:55 - Dec 20 by Steve_M

"How about an Ashes series on neutral territory? Where would be a place that equals things out?"

India or Sri Lanka might make it very interesting given both sides records there, one recent series apart, are pretty ropey.

Lyon would destroy us.

I'd say South Africa - we've done well there of late.

Evans out

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:51 - Dec 20 with 6081 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:55 - Dec 20 by Steve_M

Maybe there should an Ashes 'world series' - one test in England, one in Australia and the others in South Africa, Dubai and India.

Although it would never happen, it could be an interesting way of breathing life back into test cricket.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:14 - Dec 20 with 6017 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:51 - Dec 20 by TLA

Maybe there should an Ashes 'world series' - one test in England, one in Australia and the others in South Africa, Dubai and India.

Although it would never happen, it could be an interesting way of breathing life back into test cricket.

An ashes in Dubai with a 25% attendance would be a dreadful spectacle

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:26 - Dec 20 with 6013 viewsgordon

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:10 - Dec 19 by Yallop

Yeah it most certainly is. I remember Middlesex for one made a big fuss about the spinners surface laid on for their end of season clash.

It does definitely turn a bit at Taunton, but you want a spin bowler who's used to bowling on a turning wicket, that's when spin bowlers are most important.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:56 - Dec 20 with 6004 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:14 - Dec 20 by The_Romford_Blue

An ashes in Dubai with a 25% attendance would be a dreadful spectacle

I did say it'd never happen but I reckon that an Ashes match in Dubai would get more than a 25% attendance. It's a decent journey for both sets of fans and it would be a novelty for locals.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:39 - Dec 21 with 5911 viewsSteve_M

A worthwhile read here:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/the-ashes/lest-we-already-have-forgotten-

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:19 - Dec 23 with 5773 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:39 - Dec 21 by Steve_M

A worthwhile read here:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/the-ashes/lest-we-already-have-forgotten-

That's a good article Steve.

For a day or two after Phil Hughes died, it seemed like cricketers might tone down that sort of bowling.

Overnight I watched the summary of the 2005 Ashes - our bowlers were quite frightening then. Simon Jones was swinging the ball both ways at 93mph and Harmy was nasty - that cut he inflicted on Ponting was pretty bad.

I like the fast swing bowling to the pads but constantly aiming at the tailenders heads for 4 or 5 balls an over seems wrong.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:31 - Dec 23 with 5768 viewsHerbivore

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:19 - Dec 23 by TLA

That's a good article Steve.

For a day or two after Phil Hughes died, it seemed like cricketers might tone down that sort of bowling.

Overnight I watched the summary of the 2005 Ashes - our bowlers were quite frightening then. Simon Jones was swinging the ball both ways at 93mph and Harmy was nasty - that cut he inflicted on Ponting was pretty bad.

I like the fast swing bowling to the pads but constantly aiming at the tailenders heads for 4 or 5 balls an over seems wrong.

Simon Jones was some bowler. If only he'd not had the injuries he had. That attack was insane actually, quicker than the current lot by a good distance whilst being able to get the ball to do a lot too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 16:47 - Dec 23 with 5745 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:26 - Dec 18 by christiand

I couldn't agree more Bournemouth Blue, the senior players have been a real let down in this series and should feel embarrassed by their contribution. They should be the ones inspiring and leading by example, but they have been woeful.

Problem is who is out there to improve this XI? We suddenly look like we are short on depth in talent in this country for the longer format of the game. We lack application, discipline and mental toughness. However, many of the Lions squad have been disappointing, no one has put their hand up with any decent performances to convince the selectors they deserve to start in Melbourne.

I read an interesting article suggesting our four day Cricket has dropped in standard with a shift in focus to T20 and One Dayers.

They were saying the standard isn't what it used to be and so players are now not coming out of country cricket ready for international cricket. Where this used to be the case.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:08 - Dec 24 with 5682 viewsFtnfwest

Looking at ponting and starcs latest comments you can see how driven they are to thrash us every time they play us particularly over there. Almost a reckless hate for the England team at least within the confines of the matches themselves
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:29 - Dec 24 with 5642 viewsSteve_M

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:31 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

Simon Jones was some bowler. If only he'd not had the injuries he had. That attack was insane actually, quicker than the current lot by a good distance whilst being able to get the ball to do a lot too.

Flintoff and Jones as third and fourth bowlers FFS.

Aussie cricket is all so hilariously macho, so full of self-regard and yet so lacking in self-awareness. That they've mainly forgotten about Hughes isn't hilarious though, is tragic.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:13 - Dec 25 with 5584 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 22:29 - Dec 24 by Steve_M

Flintoff and Jones as third and fourth bowlers FFS.

Aussie cricket is all so hilariously macho, so full of self-regard and yet so lacking in self-awareness. That they've mainly forgotten about Hughes isn't hilarious though, is tragic.

We were so spoilt by that attack It would absolutely cane the current Aussie line up, Smith included. Our first innings totals this series would be match winning efforts!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024