Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 311051 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:45 - Dec 16 with 5862 viewsReuser_is_God

5-0 here we come

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:50 - Dec 16 with 5859 viewsjimsymBLUE

Absolutely inevitable... there's normally some hope (however slim) that England will have had a good couple of hours when you drag yourself out of bed to check the scores but I had none this morning. Going back to bed for a full nights kip. Smith vs our bowling attack is more akin to a blood sport and its far too early for that I'm afraid. Just wish I'd had a few ££ on the Aussies to win when we were 350-4. Shambles.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:51 - Dec 16 with 5857 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:45 - Dec 16 by Reuser_is_God

5-0 here we come

It's hard to see anything else really.

They'll be well in front at the end of this session. I think this time they'll bat to a big lead and have 4+ sessions bowling at us under pressure.

Still, it'll soon be time for the football!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:57 - Dec 16 with 5856 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:51 - Dec 16 by TLA

It's hard to see anything else really.

They'll be well in front at the end of this session. I think this time they'll bat to a big lead and have 4+ sessions bowling at us under pressure.

Still, it'll soon be time for the football!

Our ability to massively fcuk up good positions will make sure of it.

Our bowling attack seems gets worse on every overseas tour we go on.

Evans out

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:10 - Dec 16 with 5847 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:45 - Dec 16 by Reuser_is_God

5-0 here we come

The weather could be our saviour, rain forecast for the last two days.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:23 - Dec 16 with 5841 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:10 - Dec 16 by christiand

The weather could be our saviour, rain forecast for the last two days.

Mitch Marsh just scoring in boundaries. We just look like we are spent, they are going to get a huge lead here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:01 - Dec 16 with 5816 viewsjimsymBLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 06:23 - Dec 16 by christiand

Mitch Marsh just scoring in boundaries. We just look like we are spent, they are going to get a huge lead here!

Crikey, have I really woken up to a world where Mitch Marsh is scoring test hundreds? Two hours later and still nothing. Going to lose by an innings at this rate, may as well get some of the lions in for the next test if we go down in flames here. Utterly embarrassing performance, real lack of heart and leadership.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 8:26]

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:19 - Dec 16 with 5805 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:01 - Dec 16 by jimsymBLUE

Crikey, have I really woken up to a world where Mitch Marsh is scoring test hundreds? Two hours later and still nothing. Going to lose by an innings at this rate, may as well get some of the lions in for the next test if we go down in flames here. Utterly embarrassing performance, real lack of heart and leadership.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 8:26]

Yes, I can see this happening too. The Aussies will just grind them into the dirt and scramble them mentally. England will then be skittled out for next to nothing.

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:31 - Dec 16 with 5799 viewsHerbivore

I see an innings defeat here lads and lasses. No point in them declaring, they're scoring at a cracking rate against a destroyed bowling attack. Rack up 600+ and have the best part of two days to skittle our shower out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:39 - Dec 16 with 5796 viewsjimsymBLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:31 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

I see an innings defeat here lads and lasses. No point in them declaring, they're scoring at a cracking rate against a destroyed bowling attack. Rack up 600+ and have the best part of two days to skittle our shower out.

There's still an hour and a half left today, at this rate they could bat till half way through the day tomorrow, have 800 on the board, Smith the world record and still have enough time to bowl us out comfortably. Marsh untroubled on 150*...bu&&er my old boots.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 8:41]

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:05 - Dec 16 with 5777 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:31 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

We’re sh1t.

Evans out

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:27 - Dec 16 with 5766 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:39 - Dec 16 by jimsymBLUE

There's still an hour and a half left today, at this rate they could bat till half way through the day tomorrow, have 800 on the board, Smith the world record and still have enough time to bowl us out comfortably. Marsh untroubled on 150*...bu&&er my old boots.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 8:41]

The weather forecast could be England's only saving grace. I think the Aussies will bat through tonight and then reassess in the morning.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:43 - Dec 16 with 5757 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:27 - Dec 16 by christiand

The weather forecast could be England's only saving grace. I think the Aussies will bat through tonight and then reassess in the morning.

They actually may already have enough runs!

It's very different batting to win and trying yo bat for two days to save a game. They'll only need two sessions and I doubt the rain will restrict it to less than that.

That's the 300 partnership...
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:57 - Dec 16 with 5748 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:43 - Dec 16 by TLA

They actually may already have enough runs!

It's very different batting to win and trying yo bat for two days to save a game. They'll only need two sessions and I doubt the rain will restrict it to less than that.

That's the 300 partnership...

TLA do you think this is the worst England have played in Australia in recent series? From memory, the 2006/07 effort was pretty abysmal and the last 5-0 drubbing when our batsman were scared to death of Mitchel Johnson was shocking, but how does this current effort compare?
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 10:24]

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:22 - Dec 16 with 5738 viewsReuser_is_God

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:57 - Dec 16 by christiand

TLA do you think this is the worst England have played in Australia in recent series? From memory, the 2006/07 effort was pretty abysmal and the last 5-0 drubbing when our batsman were scared to death of Mitchel Johnson was shocking, but how does this current effort compare?

Thus far 13/14 was a lot worse.

We’re still only half way through this series though so plenty of time for that to be eclipsed.

06/07 was the swan song for some absolute legends of the game, losing 5-0 to that lot was no disgrace.

Evans out

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:26 - Dec 16 with 5735 viewsgordon

There's going to have to be some sort of TWTD inquiry launched into some of the predictions made in this thread before the start of the series. Ashes tours in my lifetime have been a horrible, nightmarish thing, apart from that wonderful anomaly 6 (?) years ago.

For any youngsters for whom this is the first tour you've followed, never, ever, ever, get your hopes up. We, might, just might, win in Sydney to make it a 4-1 defeat. That's as good as this is going to get.

We'll be all out for 146 in the second innings, Woakes top scoring with 32.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:40 - Dec 16 with 5726 viewsTLA

It's a good question. I think on this tour we've threatened to be in it at various points and they've just accelerated at critical times.

The only reason it might be one of the worst performances is that there is not much between the teams. Our team would win in England and there's will win here. There isn't a gap like there was in the nineties and early 2000s, when they had one of the best teams ever.

We really need to develop a bowling unit that isn't only good under grey skies in Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham. Some real pace and proper spin is needed when we go overseas. Having said that, most test nations are similar in being great in home conditions but poor elsewhere.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:42 - Dec 16 with 5723 viewsgordon

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:22 - Dec 16 by Reuser_is_God

Thus far 13/14 was a lot worse.

We’re still only half way through this series though so plenty of time for that to be eclipsed.

06/07 was the swan song for some absolute legends of the game, losing 5-0 to that lot was no disgrace.

2002/03 was a pretty low point, although we won a test. An attack of Caddick and Harmison (both pretty decent) supported by Craig White and Richard Dawson. 5 wickets in 4 tests for Dawson at 79, according to cricinfo. Don't remember him being that dangerous.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:28 - Dec 16 with 5698 viewsbournemouthblue

It's looking like a other 5 - 0 sadly

Is it a case of our pitches getting slower in England and the Aussie pitches being too much of a culture shock?

We are heading for three 5 - 0's in the last four series over there

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:53 - Dec 16 with 5684 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:28 - Dec 16 by bournemouthblue

It's looking like a other 5 - 0 sadly

Is it a case of our pitches getting slower in England and the Aussie pitches being too much of a culture shock?

We are heading for three 5 - 0's in the last four series over there

I think so much of it is mental - there's no reason we couldn't have won in Adelaide and drawn here. Going into the 4th test at 1-1 would have put pressure on them.

At a few critical times, we've folded, like we just don't think we can beat them on their patch.

In spite of the conditions, their current team is nowhere near 5-0 better than ours. Apart from Steve Smith. It should be a long time before the argument about him vs Root re-emerges - Root is not fulfilling his potential and Smith is. When Root gets to fifty, he has another 20-30 runs in him. When Smith gets to fifty, he's just got his eye in.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:13 - Dec 16 with 5677 viewsAce_High1

Unfortunately we have lost this tour before it all began. Yes the Stokes issues, but the selection has been terrible. When the team is struggling, you need to make changes between matches but the players no the sidelines are no different to those in the team. Balance, Ball etc are a waste of time.

We should have had people like Rashid there who could play as Moeen has been hopeless and needs to be dropped for a few matches. The spare bowlers should have been something different not another medium pacer.

Expect to see Cook retire at end of the series, which although he is massively under-performing now should be a concern as its been hard enough to find one opener over the last 3 years.

Also think we may be seeing the end of Anderson/Broad - maybe just this summer left in Jimmy and Broad is looking less effective than ever.

Vince needs to be no where near the team again, same with Ballance and we really need to find some quality fast bowlers.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:43 - Dec 16 with 5660 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 12:13 - Dec 16 by Ace_High1

Unfortunately we have lost this tour before it all began. Yes the Stokes issues, but the selection has been terrible. When the team is struggling, you need to make changes between matches but the players no the sidelines are no different to those in the team. Balance, Ball etc are a waste of time.

We should have had people like Rashid there who could play as Moeen has been hopeless and needs to be dropped for a few matches. The spare bowlers should have been something different not another medium pacer.

Expect to see Cook retire at end of the series, which although he is massively under-performing now should be a concern as its been hard enough to find one opener over the last 3 years.

Also think we may be seeing the end of Anderson/Broad - maybe just this summer left in Jimmy and Broad is looking less effective than ever.

Vince needs to be no where near the team again, same with Ballance and we really need to find some quality fast bowlers.

I think Mark Wood was a big miss, Stokes provides balance and passion and it's a shame that Rashid doesn't really play red ball cricket anymore - all of those things could have made a difference, albeit probably not influencing where the Ashes were going to end up.

I think Cook and Root will regain form in the seven home tests against Pakistan and India next year, and Anderson and Broad will probably fill their boots too. It's just a fact that so many players in world cricket can perform in their own conditions. Very few can do it anywhere and they are the true greats.

A genuine pace bowler and a world class spinner are definitely needed.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:02 - Dec 16 with 5652 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just seen the score! Wtf happened

They were 350-4 when I went to bed at 6.

Marsh was only on 50!!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:26 - Dec 16 with 5640 viewsjimsymBLUE

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:02 - Dec 16 by The_Romford_Blue

Just seen the score! Wtf happened

They were 350-4 when I went to bed at 6.

Marsh was only on 50!!

You made a very good choice Rommy, made Smith look like Bradman & Marsh, Sir Viv!!
It was like watching Sunday extra's vs the Saturday 1st team.
However I see our assistant manager has come out and said we did well today, love to see what a poor day looks like.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:32 - Dec 16 with 5637 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:26 - Dec 16 by jimsymBLUE

You made a very good choice Rommy, made Smith look like Bradman & Marsh, Sir Viv!!
It was like watching Sunday extra's vs the Saturday 1st team.
However I see our assistant manager has come out and said we did well today, love to see what a poor day looks like.

There's no doubt that we worked hard but were just way off the pace, quite literally.

It's like we need to base our best young pace bowlers in Australia from the age of about 14, our best spinners on the sub-continent from the same age and let them develop where we'll need them.

It's not like our international team need to learn their game in county cricket anymore.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024