Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread 16:47 - Nov 22 with 311041 viewsMaySixth

Phil - cheeky, but can you pin?? I know a fair few of us are interested in chatting about this as well as ITFC.

To kick start - series predictions?

I am going Australia 2-3 England.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:48 - Dec 16 with 6410 viewsgordon

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 11:53 - Dec 16 by TLA

I think so much of it is mental - there's no reason we couldn't have won in Adelaide and drawn here. Going into the 4th test at 1-1 would have put pressure on them.

At a few critical times, we've folded, like we just don't think we can beat them on their patch.

In spite of the conditions, their current team is nowhere near 5-0 better than ours. Apart from Steve Smith. It should be a long time before the argument about him vs Root re-emerges - Root is not fulfilling his potential and Smith is. When Root gets to fifty, he has another 20-30 runs in him. When Smith gets to fifty, he's just got his eye in.

Think they pretty much are 5-0 better, though we'll know for sure in a few weeks. In non-English conditions we just aren't that good. Broad takes his wickets at 34 away from home, Anderson at 35, Woakes at 57, Ali at 47, Root averages low 40s with the bat. Those are pretty average records. We lost our last overseas tour 4-0, conceding first innings scores of 759/7 and 631, and at least 400 in all the other games.

In home conditions we could pick any number of decent seam bowlers out of the county championship and win games against most international teams, as Roland-Jones showed in the summer, but English conditions are the anomaly in terms of international test cricket.

We should be doing all we can to prepare dryer, boucier, harder pitches at home, but there's little incentive for counties to do this. And, the focus on t20 from the ECB, giving over the middle of the summer to T20 is going to make things worse, effectively squeezing the county championship into the early part of the season and the end of the season making 75mph swing bowlers more effective.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:18 - Dec 16 with 6390 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 14:48 - Dec 16 by gordon

Think they pretty much are 5-0 better, though we'll know for sure in a few weeks. In non-English conditions we just aren't that good. Broad takes his wickets at 34 away from home, Anderson at 35, Woakes at 57, Ali at 47, Root averages low 40s with the bat. Those are pretty average records. We lost our last overseas tour 4-0, conceding first innings scores of 759/7 and 631, and at least 400 in all the other games.

In home conditions we could pick any number of decent seam bowlers out of the county championship and win games against most international teams, as Roland-Jones showed in the summer, but English conditions are the anomaly in terms of international test cricket.

We should be doing all we can to prepare dryer, boucier, harder pitches at home, but there's little incentive for counties to do this. And, the focus on t20 from the ECB, giving over the middle of the summer to T20 is going to make things worse, effectively squeezing the county championship into the early part of the season and the end of the season making 75mph swing bowlers more effective.

I largely agree but they're not that good outside of Australia, nor are India, Pakistan etc. outside of their own countries.

There's every chance that we could dominate India and Pakistan next summer and Root, Anderson and Broad will be judged as three of the best players in the world again.

It would be interesting to play Australia in neutral conditions.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:40 - Dec 16 with 6385 viewsgordon

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:18 - Dec 16 by TLA

I largely agree but they're not that good outside of Australia, nor are India, Pakistan etc. outside of their own countries.

There's every chance that we could dominate India and Pakistan next summer and Root, Anderson and Broad will be judged as three of the best players in the world again.

It would be interesting to play Australia in neutral conditions.

Broadly agree - Australia did put up a much better fight than us in India, but were abysmal in Sri Lanka last year. The summer might be pretty decent, Pakistan were here quite recently, the matches aren't too early in the season, and India are strong at the moment, suspect we might not win either series.

The preparation of pitches is the key, though, isn't it. If the groundsmen for home tests prepared a turner, he'd be lambasted - but if we want to improve, that's what we need.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 18:32 - Dec 16 with 6343 viewssparks

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:40 - Dec 16 by gordon

Broadly agree - Australia did put up a much better fight than us in India, but were abysmal in Sri Lanka last year. The summer might be pretty decent, Pakistan were here quite recently, the matches aren't too early in the season, and India are strong at the moment, suspect we might not win either series.

The preparation of pitches is the key, though, isn't it. If the groundsmen for home tests prepared a turner, he'd be lambasted - but if we want to improve, that's what we need.

Anyone else of the view that Australia wont even need to bat a second time?

The morning I woke up and heard we'd been skittled for just over 400, I immediately figured we were stuffed and it looks like I was right.

I think Australia will get 600 and something, put us in before lunch, and knock us over by lunch on the final day, probably without having to go back out with the pads on...
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 18:44]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 00:20 - Dec 17 with 6294 viewscatch74

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 01:25 - Dec 16 by catch74

Yep, two final opportunities - early tomorrow and new ball. Broad needs to have one of his magic spells! Really worried I’m going to wake up to Smith on 200 odd and ashes more or less gone.
Fingers crossed for a great day of sport tomorrow!

I checked the score and Smith was on exactly 200! At least Ipswich won.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:08 - Dec 17 with 6282 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:26 - Dec 16 by jimsymBLUE

You made a very good choice Rommy, made Smith look like Bradman & Marsh, Sir Viv!!
It was like watching Sunday extra's vs the Saturday 1st team.
However I see our assistant manager has come out and said we did well today, love to see what a poor day looks like.

And yet I've found myself with my tablet on to watch another few hours of it

I'm insane

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:31 - Dec 17 with 6277 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:08 - Dec 17 by The_Romford_Blue

And yet I've found myself with my tablet on to watch another few hours of it

I'm insane

We both did it Rommy, Marsh gone lbw, first or second ball.

They're reviewing it!

Edit: gone! b Anderson Marsh 181, Aus now 550/5
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 2:36]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:37 - Dec 17 with 6274 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 15:40 - Dec 16 by gordon

"The preparation of pitches is the key, though, isn't it. If the groundsmen for home tests prepared a turner, he'd be lambasted - but if we want to improve, that's what we need."

TMS were saying exactly the same thing (in tea interval I think) last night.

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:52 - Dec 17 with 6271 viewsRyorry

Smith gone, another lbw Anderson - he was reluctant to ask for a review too! (looked high).

"Australia are reeling at 560/6"!!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 2:55]

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:56 - Dec 17 with 6265 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:52 - Dec 17 by Ryorry

Smith gone, another lbw Anderson - he was reluctant to ask for a review too! (looked high).

Morning/Evening R. Hope all is well.

I've missed the first half hour as i have been watching the NFL

I've missed more wickets in half hour today than the 5 hours I saw yesterday. Typical eh R

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:17 - Dec 17 with 6260 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:56 - Dec 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Morning/Evening R. Hope all is well.

I've missed the first half hour as i have been watching the NFL

I've missed more wickets in half hour today than the 5 hours I saw yesterday. Typical eh R

All the better for a home win for us ta Rommy! Do I understand you missed it cos your train broke down? I missed aways to Blades and Forest (got there in time for some of second halves!) years ago for exactly that reason, since when I've only driven or got lifts!

But as Town fans we should be used to things not usually going our way, sadly ..!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:29 - Dec 17 with 6257 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 03:17 - Dec 17 by Ryorry

All the better for a home win for us ta Rommy! Do I understand you missed it cos your train broke down? I missed aways to Blades and Forest (got there in time for some of second halves!) years ago for exactly that reason, since when I've only driven or got lifts!

But as Town fans we should be used to things not usually going our way, sadly ..!

No I managed to make kick off (just about) in the end. Had to sacrifice my normal pre game hot dog though.

The Rommy Report by The_Romford_Blue 16 Dec 2017 17:52
Well that was nice wasn't it?

I really thought we were gonna be unstuck today. I though our attacking thread would be nullified as we were always gonna have less than 40% possession. But it wasn't. We had that same pace and intensity with the ball as we have all season. Celina and Waggy looked a tasty little duet with the linkup play that we've become hard to this season. Garner was his brilliantly irritating self. Ward worked awfully hard to get up and down the pitch to help out Skuse (first half), Bru (second half) and Connolly throughout.

The first goal came within 3 minutes. Thankfully, after train issues, I was there to see Connolly slide across in midfield and win the ball back. Some nice football and 10 seconds later and he was placing the ball into the near post. Bluddy boooooootiful! We led. And so went my 0-0 prediction.

Reading carried on their nonsense tippy tappy bollox as McShane pretended he was David silva as he passed it to his fellow centre back with pinpoint accuracy. Some beautiful one twos across their own penalty box with absolutely no point whatsoever to it. We were winning. Let them do what they liked. I found their style of footballing quite dull to be honest.

Whilst the Royals continued to possess the ball with no purpose, a few of their players started giving it lemon to the ref. Two bookings for dissent inside 15 minutes. Not sure I've seen that before. Well done the ref. He had a good game I thought. Soon the town were 2 up. Waggy corner whipped in with venom and the flick on found Joey garner who nodded himself his first goal in ages. That'll do nicely.

Reading started to gain some sort of influence on the game down the wings but every shot they had was being blocked. Webster. Magnificent. Chambers. Magnificent. Spence. Magnificent. Knudsen.
Magnificent. All four of them defended their socks off and put their body on the line to stop Reading getting back into the game. Excellent performance from our defence I thought.

Second half was not the onslaught from the away team that I expected. Instead we controlled the game and had a fair few chances to seal it. Spence gave his best Marasona impression with a bulldozing run down the right before lacking the power in the final shot when 10 yards out. His look up after his shot at the North Astana gave both the look of 'im knackered' and 'I can't believe I did that'. He must've ran 50 yards with it.

Celina danced through near the end like a gazelle but blazed over. It would've capped off a throughly entertaining and enjoyable game. It's nice to have back to back home games with wins and good performances. In fact, it's great to see us scoring so easily. With our lack of shots lots season, it's a pleasant surprise to see our attacking force carving teams open time and time again.

The only downside of the day was the lack of a hotdog thanks to the aforementioned late train. I shall make up for it with a Chinese when my train gets into Romford in an hour. Lovely stuff.

One final thing, at what point does the Super Mick chant start again? Results went out way today and suddenly we are two point off the playoffs again. It's a nice feeling.

I'd leave you with BELIEVE! but as it's the most wonderful time of the year, a little Christmas song is a nice way to end a winning Rommy Report:

Town are scoring, all around us
Ipswich singing, having fun
It's the season for laughing at the inbreds
Merry Christmas Norwich Scum

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:28 - Dec 17 with 6248 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:52 - Dec 17 by Ryorry

Morning.

I opted for a little sleep and missed the devastation! We must have been well on top for a few balls!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:29 - Dec 17 with 6238 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:28 - Dec 17 by TLA

Morning.

I opted for a little sleep and missed the devastation! We must have been well on top for a few balls!

Morning buh

As soon as the wickets fell, the new batsman just carried on where marsh and smith has left off.

Aussies just declared in 662. Thought I was about to see my first 700+ score.

I'm knackered - off to bed.

Night all

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:39 - Dec 17 with 6235 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 05:29 - Dec 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Morning buh

As soon as the wickets fell, the new batsman just carried on where marsh and smith has left off.

Aussies just declared in 662. Thought I was about to see my first 700+ score.

I'm knackered - off to bed.

Night all

Night Rommy - when you get up the Ashes could be lost!
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:09 - Dec 17 with 6213 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 04:28 - Dec 17 by TLA

Morning.

Probably tempting fate here, but I do believe Vince could be a test batsman. Has all the shots, but it is whether he has the mental capacity to deal with the challenge of test cricket. I would love it if he could get a big hundred here, but I always get the impression he gets his 30,40 or 50 gets bored and plays a rash shot.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:10 - Dec 17 with 6213 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:09 - Dec 17 by christiand

Probably tempting fate here, but I do believe Vince could be a test batsman. Has all the shots, but it is whether he has the mental capacity to deal with the challenge of test cricket. I would love it if he could get a big hundred here, but I always get the impression he gets his 30,40 or 50 gets bored and plays a rash shot.

Shouldn’t of posted!

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:48 - Dec 17 with 6205 viewsFtnfwest

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:10 - Dec 17 by christiand

Shouldn’t of posted!

Shame, but Bradman wouldn’t have kept that out
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:45 - Dec 17 with 6185 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 18:32 - Dec 16 by sparks

Anyone else of the view that Australia wont even need to bat a second time?

The morning I woke up and heard we'd been skittled for just over 400, I immediately figured we were stuffed and it looks like I was right.

I think Australia will get 600 and something, put us in before lunch, and knock us over by lunch on the final day, probably without having to go back out with the pads on...
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 18:44]

I have absolutely no confidence in us to show any fight at all

It's getting pretty embarrassing now

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:49 - Dec 17 with 6184 viewschristiand

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:45 - Dec 17 by bournemouthblue

Once either Malan or Bairstow are out, it will be over in a hurry. I’ll be surprised if we make them bat again. For a positive, Vince looked good. Just want him to kick on and get those three figures, this lad can bat.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:52 - Dec 17 with 6184 viewsbournemouthblue

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:48 - Dec 17 by Ftnfwest

Shame, but Bradman wouldn’t have kept that out

Straight off the crack :(

I expected Vince to do alright in Oz, he's pretty strong on the short stuff and has a decent technique. It looks like a concentration issue for him. He is still young enough to progress.

Hopefully Westley can come again, he'd be another who could contribute to that middle order.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:14 - Dec 17 with 6176 viewsTLA

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 08:09 - Dec 17 by christiand

You were spot on there, although it wasn't a massive error on his part. It did feel like when Root gets to fifty and you know there's 20-30 more to come at best.

Our only chances are rain, and if the two in can get us in front - then every run becomes a frustration to the Aussies. Much more likely to be done in a session though.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 13:57 - Dec 17 with 6122 viewsRyorry

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 09:45 - Dec 17 by bournemouthblue

I think it was either Vaughan or Aggers who said they found the England dressing room "gloomy" at the end of day 2, with players seemingly resigned to a loss or draw - instead of geeing each other up & getting into "getting back" mode like successful teams would. Pointed out that on the field also, where there should be many leaders and everyone doing their bit with encouragement, working hard to cut off boundaries, even 12th man offering a drink & a joke etc, they just seemed flat and resigned.

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 17:53 - Dec 17 with 6083 viewsgordon

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 02:37 - Dec 17 by Ryorry

"The preparation of pitches is the key, though, isn't it. If the groundsmen for home tests prepared a turner, he'd be lambasted - but if we want to improve, that's what we need."

TMS were saying exactly the same thing (in tea interval I think) last night.

The other thing related to that is Moeen Ali. He's a fantastic cricketer and this isn't a criticism of him, rather the selectors. At home, where we are likely to bowl teams out relatively cheaply, and don't often need a top quality spin bowler, Moeen is fine as our spin option. He takes more wickets than he ought to because opposition batsmen see him as an opportunity to attack, because he's not a top-class bowler.

But ultimately, if we want to compete overseas, whether in Australia or the subcontinent, we need a top, frontline spin bowler. Moeen is never going to be that player. He isn't going to be good either to bowl teams out or hold up an end. But because he's just about good enough at home, the selectors don't take the risk of giving a full-time spinner a go in home series. It's dreadful short-termism, and then when it comes to overseas tours, we end up with odd, inconsistent selections like Gareth Batty, Liam Dawson or Mason Crane.

Moeen should be batting at 5 home and away, told that his batting has to measure up, cut out the stupid dismissals, and then used as a backup, second spin option, ready to take on more overs when we tour in spinning conditions. And the selectors should pick the standout spinner from the championship, Jack Leach from the last two years as the frontline spin bowler, so he's got test match experience ready for the next overseas tour.
The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 20:22 - Dec 17 with 6062 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Ashes 2017/2018 Thread on 10:14 - Dec 17 by TLA

You were spot on there, although it wasn't a massive error on his part. It did feel like when Root gets to fifty and you know there's 20-30 more to come at best.

Our only chances are rain, and if the two in can get us in front - then every run becomes a frustration to the Aussies. Much more likely to be done in a session though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2063523

Windy for cricket too !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024