Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good people of TWTD 15:16 - Dec 10 with 51371 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm thinking of giving up alcohol for a year. Am I mad? Will life not be worth living? Anyone done similar?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good people of TWTD on 10:50 - Dec 11 with 4407 viewsDyland

Good people of TWTD on 10:40 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

Each to their own I suppose. I wouldn't feel comfortable in a pub without a beer, maybe an hour or so to say some hellos but beer and pubs go hand in hand so if I wasn't drinking I would watch TV or read a book at home.

Also it's difficult to stay in a conversation when not drinking the same as others - well it is for me as my mates are all borderline alcoholics who talk complete drivel after a few beers.

Same. I don't go to the pub if I'm not drinking. Long walks instead, and writing.

I've found staring into space is actually quite pleasant when sober.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

wow on 10:53 - Dec 11 with 4401 viewsDyland

Good people of TWTD on 10:39 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

Don't let the fact that it's against the law get in the way of your pleasure.

Simply wow.

My first ever down vote on an internet forum.

Good people of TWTD on 10:56 - Dec 11 with 4377 viewsLord_Lucan

Good people of TWTD on 10:40 - Dec 11 by BackToRussia

It's like anything, if you misuse something it'll bite you. I've got a mate who freaks out at the smell of weed now, but that's just because he went through a spell of using hallucinogens and weed, had bad trips, and now all drugs are triggers for him so he has to be sober. Other people hold opinions on it because it's political, if they're a right wing libertarian they're more likely to think anyone who smokes weed is a giant loser. Because they think everyone should be out there as individual capitalists seeking profit.

Must admit I'm more wary of a bit of green these days than most things, not sure why as I used to enjoy it but I would choose other vices these days.

You are correct about misuse though. Many years ago I used to work with a complete stoner and he ended up in Rampton, I also have a mate that thought he was Al Pacino and enjoyed the high life but it ended in a bang - well 5 years. When he came out he vowed to change his life but it eventually caught up with him again and ended in another bang. Last I saw him was in the summer and he seemed relatively ok - but there will be another bang.

Everything is same same though. Weed, Charlie, alcohol - it's all down to respect and self control.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good people of TWTD on 11:02 - Dec 11 with 4372 viewshype313

Good people of TWTD on 10:44 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

So do properly prescribed drugs, which aren't used as a promotion by the pro-drug lobby.

Promotion? Have you ever seen the number of medical sales reps swanning around hospitals and doctors surgery's? if any industry has back handers going on that was the worst, and I know because I used to be in Pharmaceutical sales. They might work to a point, but they give people terrible side affects.

If it were me, I'd much prefer to use something that nature was intended for.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Good people of TWTD on 11:07 - Dec 11 with 4361 viewsblue_oyster

Good people of TWTD on 10:46 - Dec 11 by giant_stow

That would be the last problem with it in my opinion. Laws can be wrong.

Indeed, laws that get in the way of your own selfish actions are usually ‘wrong’.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Good people of TWTD on 11:08 - Dec 11 with 4355 viewsblue_oyster

Good people of TWTD on 10:46 - Dec 11 by BackToRussia

So if they both work, why is one illegal and one not?

Because one set have been subject to a strict set of scientific controls deeming it to be safe, the other has not and is a dangerous drug.

Good people of TWTD on 11:08 - Dec 11 with 4355 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 10:56 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

Must admit I'm more wary of a bit of green these days than most things, not sure why as I used to enjoy it but I would choose other vices these days.

You are correct about misuse though. Many years ago I used to work with a complete stoner and he ended up in Rampton, I also have a mate that thought he was Al Pacino and enjoyed the high life but it ended in a bang - well 5 years. When he came out he vowed to change his life but it eventually caught up with him again and ended in another bang. Last I saw him was in the summer and he seemed relatively ok - but there will be another bang.

Everything is same same though. Weed, Charlie, alcohol - it's all down to respect and self control.

I'm trying to get my mum into green! She gets these painful legs that keep her up all night but she's fine in the AM. They have her on strong gabapentin! Big overreaction IMO and she's spaced out during the day. She tried it but just says she "felt funny". Probably didn't breathe it in poor lady.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Good people of TWTD on 11:09 - Dec 11 with 4352 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 11:08 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

Because one set have been subject to a strict set of scientific controls deeming it to be safe, the other has not and is a dangerous drug.

That's hardly fair when they won't let anyone test cannabis under those controls.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Login to get fewer ads

Good people of TWTD on 11:10 - Dec 11 with 4349 viewsDyland

Good people of TWTD on 10:56 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

I don't smoke weed regularly these days, mostly it's too strong. You may as well be tripping.

As you say, everything in moderation.

wow on 11:12 - Dec 11 with 4346 viewsblue_oyster

wow on 10:53 - Dec 11 by Dyland

Simply wow.

My first ever down vote on an internet forum.

Enjoy. No thinking necessary.

Good people of TWTD on 11:12 - Dec 11 with 4345 viewsRyorry

Good people of TWTD on 11:07 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

Indeed, laws that get in the way of your own selfish actions are usually ‘wrong’.

How is using something "illegal" that dramatically reduces an individual's pain from a medical condition, when all other avenues have failed (prescribed drugs, physio, surgery), and the "illegal" drug causes the individual no adverse side effects, "selfish"?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Good people of TWTD on 11:12 - Dec 11 with 4342 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 11:10 - Dec 11 by Dyland

I don't smoke weed regularly these days, mostly it's too strong. You may as well be tripping.

As you say, everything in moderation.

Some people do this thing called microdosing, where they take, say, less than half a gram of shrooms or a small dose of LSD. Essentially they are medicating with it by taking very small amounts to avoid the classic hallucinogenic trip but getting the other benefits.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

wow on 11:13 - Dec 11 with 4341 viewsDyland

wow on 11:12 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

Enjoy. No thinking necessary.

Thinking a bit more may actually help you out chief.

Good people of TWTD on 11:14 - Dec 11 with 4333 viewsJohnny_Boy

Good people of TWTD on 10:40 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

Each to their own I suppose. I wouldn't feel comfortable in a pub without a beer, maybe an hour or so to say some hellos but beer and pubs go hand in hand so if I wasn't drinking I would watch TV or read a book at home.

Also it's difficult to stay in a conversation when not drinking the same as others - well it is for me as my mates are all borderline alcoholics who talk complete drivel after a few beers.

Oh. I agree with you. A sober conversation with a drunken friend can be an extremely weary affair.

But pubs have changed a lot over the years. I don't think there's that stigma of going into a pub on your own, ordering some food + soft drink, reading the newspapers & watching a match on the telly.

Some places actively ask you to tell them you might be a designated driver & offer you free soft drinks.

Some of my old local boozers make more on the food than the drink nowadays. A far cry from the totally rammed Friday & Saturday's I remember (fondly) as an 18yo.
Good people of TWTD on 11:14 - Dec 11 with 4330 viewsblue_oyster

Good people of TWTD on 11:02 - Dec 11 by hype313

Promotion? Have you ever seen the number of medical sales reps swanning around hospitals and doctors surgery's? if any industry has back handers going on that was the worst, and I know because I used to be in Pharmaceutical sales. They might work to a point, but they give people terrible side affects.

If it were me, I'd much prefer to use something that nature was intended for.

And you’d apply the same natural theory to deadly nightshade would you?

Good people of TWTD on 11:15 - Dec 11 with 4318 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 11:14 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

If I wanted a poison, that'd be the one I used, rather than some lab-made alternative.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Good people of TWTD on 11:16 - Dec 11 with 4314 viewsblue_oyster

Good people of TWTD on 11:09 - Dec 11 by BackToRussia

That's hardly fair when they won't let anyone test cannabis under those controls.

What restrictions are these?

Good people of TWTD on 11:16 - Dec 11 with 4312 viewslowhouseblue

Good people of TWTD on 11:14 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

a bit like atropine you mean?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Good people of TWTD on 11:17 - Dec 11 with 4307 viewsblue_oyster

Good people of TWTD on 11:12 - Dec 11 by Ryorry

How is using something "illegal" that dramatically reduces an individual's pain from a medical condition, when all other avenues have failed (prescribed drugs, physio, surgery), and the "illegal" drug causes the individual no adverse side effects, "selfish"?

If you don’t know the side effects of cannabis, who is going to look after you if it fries your brain?

Good people of TWTD on 11:18 - Dec 11 with 4299 viewsLord_Lucan

Good people of TWTD on 11:08 - Dec 11 by BackToRussia

I'm trying to get my mum into green! She gets these painful legs that keep her up all night but she's fine in the AM. They have her on strong gabapentin! Big overreaction IMO and she's spaced out during the day. She tried it but just says she "felt funny". Probably didn't breathe it in poor lady.

Some of the prescribed meds are awful. My Mum has had the odd puff now and again but reckons it doesn't do anything for her - she undoubtedly has tried prison grade rubbish only.

Has your Mum tried CBD oil or tablets?

Maybe the best thing is for one of you to start knocking some muffins up with a measured qty of gear, that way she can regulate two or three muffins a day.

Give my regards to your Mum by the way.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good people of TWTD on 11:18 - Dec 11 with 4299 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 11:16 - Dec 11 by blue_oyster

What restrictions are these?

To test cannabis or any other illegal drugs in a laboratory you need to get an exemption from the government. These are notoriously hard to obtain meaning very little scientific testing has been done on illegal drugs. This has retarded the progress of many illegal drugs entering into the medical arena, but even this can't be halted for too long, hence why you see MDMA and psilocybin studies coming out.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

wow on 11:19 - Dec 11 with 4296 viewsblue_oyster

wow on 11:13 - Dec 11 by Dyland

Thinking a bit more may actually help you out chief.

Good people of TWTD on 11:20 - Dec 11 with 4289 viewsRyorry

Good people of TWTD on 22:47 - Dec 10 by bluejake78

I've been an on and off heavy drinker for years.I'm not proud but I have had a few run ins with plod...always whilst under the influence.
I haven't had alcohol since October and haven't missed it. I've also gone teetotal for over 12 months at a time.
Trouble is I actually like the taste of beer,wine and a good malt.
A good positive is taking my dog out for a walk at 1st light without a hint of a hangover.
Something I want to carry forward into the new year.

It was the really good beer that I missed the most too - Courage Best Bitter (or similar name) when in London in the late 80s, and Theakston Pale Ale etc etc when in Yorkshire. They always seemed like a meal as much as a drink, for their sheer flavour and body.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Good people of TWTD on 11:20 - Dec 11 with 4289 viewsblue_oyster

Good people of TWTD on 11:18 - Dec 11 by BackToRussia

To test cannabis or any other illegal drugs in a laboratory you need to get an exemption from the government. These are notoriously hard to obtain meaning very little scientific testing has been done on illegal drugs. This has retarded the progress of many illegal drugs entering into the medical arena, but even this can't be halted for too long, hence why you see MDMA and psilocybin studies coming out.

Really? So how come morphine is so readily used?

Good people of TWTD on 11:20 - Dec 11 with 4287 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 11:18 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

Some of the prescribed meds are awful. My Mum has had the odd puff now and again but reckons it doesn't do anything for her - she undoubtedly has tried prison grade rubbish only.

Has your Mum tried CBD oil or tablets?

Maybe the best thing is for one of you to start knocking some muffins up with a measured qty of gear, that way she can regulate two or three muffins a day.

Give my regards to your Mum by the way.

Oh yeah, and the ease at which they give them out is amazing. Every time she goes back they seem to up the dose. Definitely think it's the smoking that bothers her, and a cake would be much more her thing! I am not undeterred. Will do by the way! She seems to see RKD more than me out and about.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024