Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good people of TWTD 15:16 - Dec 10 with 51377 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm thinking of giving up alcohol for a year. Am I mad? Will life not be worth living? Anyone done similar?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good people of TWTD on 18:40 - Dec 10 with 6057 viewsgerard1947

I've never been a "drinker" don't suppose I will start now. Most of my family and friends are so I find myself designated driver most of the time. I've never made a big thing of being teetotal and certainly don't criticise folk who do drink.

Sometimes I'm asked if I am on medication and weirdly once when I changed job the rumour went round that I was a recovering alcoholic.

I don't think I've missed anything being tt. ... maybe I have?
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 18:41]
Good people of TWTD on 18:40 - Dec 10 with 6043 viewsjeera

Good people of TWTD on 18:40 - Dec 10 by gerard1947

I've never been a "drinker" don't suppose I will start now. Most of my family and friends are so I find myself designated driver most of the time. I've never made a big thing of being teetotal and certainly don't criticise folk who do drink.

Sometimes I'm asked if I am on medication and weirdly once when I changed job the rumour went round that I was a recovering alcoholic.

I don't think I've missed anything being tt. ... maybe I have?
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 18:41]

So how long you been dry now?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good people of TWTD on 18:47 - Dec 10 with 6020 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 18:35 - Dec 10 by BrixtonBlue

I've tried cutting back but always seem to slip back into old habits. I think I have a bit of a problem with it.

I use alcohol to get through stressful times... and I think if I set it up for a whole year I'd get better and more confident at dealing with the more stressful times because I'll be going through them without that crutch. THEN when I get a PROPER stressful time (like a parent dying) I'll be able to cope better. That's the theory. My dad's 81 and it terrifies me how I'll cope when he goes.

My other thought is that I want to write a book. The idea is to document how life is different without alcohol for a year (in a witty style rather than straight/self help). And then as I write and perform my comedy poems throughout the year, they'd be all in there too. It's like part real life documentary, part comedy poetry book.

That's the idea anyway. Feel free to chip in if you think it's a good /bad idea for a book anyone!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 18:37]

Get into pot instead.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Good people of TWTD on 19:03 - Dec 10 with 5989 viewsLord_Lucan

Bladderation in moderation.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good people of TWTD on 19:05 - Dec 10 with 5991 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I've tried cutting back but always seem to slip back into old habits. I think I have a bit of a problem with it.

I use alcohol to get through stressful times... and I think if I set it up for a whole year I'd get better and more confident at dealing with the more stressful times because I'll be going through them without that crutch. THEN when I get a PROPER stressful time (like a parent dying) I'll be able to cope better. That's the theory. My dad's 81 and it terrifies me how I'll cope when he goes.

My other thought is that I want to write a book. The idea is to document how life is different without alcohol for a year (in a witty style rather than straight/self help). And then as I write and perform my comedy poems throughout the year, they'd be all in there too. It's like part real life documentary, part comedy poetry book.

That's the idea anyway. Feel free to chip in if you think it's a good /bad idea for a book anyone!

If you listen carefully you can hear hundreds of publishers banging down his door.

Poll: Best Football Song

Good people of TWTD on 19:09 - Dec 10 with 5980 viewsJ2BLUE

Ah well that is a bit different. Might be worth a go but perhaps do three months or something just to prove to yourself you can?

Will the book be available without the poetry?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Good people of TWTD on 19:09 - Dec 10 with 5982 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jet from Gladiators to host a millennium barn dance at Yeovil aerodrome.

Poll: Best Football Song

Good people of TWTD on 19:10 - Dec 10 with 5976 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 18:47 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

Get into pot instead.

And then write a book about that. How you turned into a gram a day stoner overnight.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Login to get fewer ads

Good people of TWTD on 19:17 - Dec 10 with 5964 viewsgiant_stow

Good people of TWTD on 19:10 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

And then write a book about that. How you turned into a gram a day stoner overnight.

Gram a day?! Maybe when I was young, but I get puff hangovers these days.

Dolly, for the little my opinion is worth, I like your book idea. Seems kind of obvious but then sometimes the best ideas are.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 19:18]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good people of TWTD on 19:20 - Dec 10 with 5956 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 19:17 - Dec 10 by giant_stow

Gram a day?! Maybe when I was young, but I get puff hangovers these days.

Dolly, for the little my opinion is worth, I like your book idea. Seems kind of obvious but then sometimes the best ideas are.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 19:18]

TBH a gram a day is a bit light really. I was just being realistic.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Good people of TWTD on 19:25 - Dec 10 with 5952 viewsgiant_stow

Good people of TWTD on 19:20 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

TBH a gram a day is a bit light really. I was just being realistic.

Gawd now it's my turn to feel old - maybe in my 20s but I wouldn't get out of bed if I tried that now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good people of TWTD on 19:26 - Dec 10 with 5944 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 19:25 - Dec 10 by giant_stow

Gawd now it's my turn to feel old - maybe in my 20s but I wouldn't get out of bed if I tried that now.

It'll probably be on the NHS by the time you're an OAP!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Good people of TWTD on 19:30 - Dec 10 with 5940 viewsWadeyBlue

Becks Blue.

Drink bottles of that when out with drinking mates.

Its the closest non alcoholic lager that tastes like normal lager.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

Good people of TWTD on 19:32 - Dec 10 with 5927 viewsgiant_stow

Good people of TWTD on 19:26 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

It'll probably be on the NHS by the time you're an OAP!

Fingers crossed!

Good people of TWTD on 20:05 - Dec 10 with 5880 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Good people of TWTD on 19:10 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

He said he wanted to write a book, not lose all motivation to do anything worthwhile with his life.... and then moan about it
Good people of TWTD on 20:38 - Dec 10 with 5853 viewsGuthrum

Have never given up drink for more than the odd month or three, but one of the biggest problems is what to drink in the pub if you're not keen on coke or lemonade (too gassy/sugary/caffeinated/diuretic) - and not impressed at paying the prices they charge for soft drinks (even lime & soda is now not that much cheaper than beer in some places).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good people of TWTD on 20:44 - Dec 10 with 5832 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 20:05 - Dec 10 by FrowsyArmLarry

He said he wanted to write a book, not lose all motivation to do anything worthwhile with his life.... and then moan about it

Haha right no one has ever done anything creative with a pot habit.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Good people of TWTD on 20:45 - Dec 10 with 5834 viewsSwailsey

I’ve never been drunk - I’ve never had a beer either.

I have a few mulled wines at Christmas but that’s it.

Not sure if that’s helpful or not, as cutting it out wouldn’t be an issue at all to me.

I do think however, if you’ve identified that you have issues with it, doing something about it would be a good move.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Good people of TWTD on 20:48 - Dec 10 with 5828 viewsBackToRussia

Good people of TWTD on 20:45 - Dec 10 by Swailsey

Not sure if that’s helpful or not, as cutting it out wouldn’t be an issue at all to me.

I do think however, if you’ve identified that you have issues with it, doing something about it would be a good move.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Good people of TWTD on 20:56 - Dec 10 with 5816 viewsjeera

Good people of TWTD on 20:48 - Dec 10 by BackToRussia

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I think he'll probably live longer than me.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good people of TWTD on 21:01 - Dec 10 with 5805 viewsLord_Lucan

You sound a hoot.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good people of TWTD on 21:13 - Dec 10 with 5787 viewsartsbossbeard

This post amazes me.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Good people of TWTD on 21:17 - Dec 10 with 5777 viewsJ2BLUE

Why have you never had a beer? Not that I think you're missing anything to be honest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Good people of TWTD on 21:23 - Dec 10 with 5764 viewsITFC_Forever

I’ll often go several weeks without a drink without even meaning to... depends what we’re doing.

Rarely drink at home, a case of beer for Christmas will often last through to March or April, and if I’m not going out to the pub on a Friday or Saturday (Saturdays are often taken up by my stock car marshalling), then I don’t miss it.

That said, I’ll usually have a couple of beers befor / after Town games, and I enjoy a good night out as much as anyone, I just don’t have the time or money to do it that often.

It was our work Christmas meal on Friday and I drove. Circumstances dictated that I had to be up and driving early yesterday morning, and the hassle and expense of a taxi wasn’t worth it as I wouldn’t have been able to go too mad anyway, so I didn’t bother at all with alcohol (barring a couple of shandies early-on). The night out was still ok although had circumstances been different, I would have rather have had a few beers. One thing I did notice more than I would have done was the quality (or lack of) of the food.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Good people of TWTD on 21:27 - Dec 10 with 5741 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Can I ask why you've never had a beer?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024