Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? 16:36 - Dec 12 with 36614 viewsMaySixth

can't think of one yet so many idiotic sheep leave the UK to go there to follow their bank balances and gargantuan cocaine habits

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 22:44 - Dec 14 with 7293 viewsMothersAgainstKids

accidental upclick. Such an inflammatory, unjustified OP.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:10 - Dec 14 with 7263 viewsm14_blue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 20:13 - Dec 14 by Bluesquid

Yep and they have lots of very powerful friends.

The Palestinians don't stand a chance.

Just look at the US embassy move to Jerusalem, forget Trump, not one senator voted against, not even Sanders.

In June it was voted through 90-0.

Seriously?

So is that them all effectively agreeing to Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital? That's shocking.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 08:25 - Dec 15 with 7225 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:10 - Dec 14 by m14_blue

Seriously?

So is that them all effectively agreeing to Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital? That's shocking.

10 Abstained.
Yeas 90
Nays 0

It's certainly not representative of the general public in the US.
A recent survey showed that the embassy move has only got the backing of about 31 per cent of the population.
If it had of been representative then you would of expected some kind of opposition, maybe around 50 percent that voted against.
But bar those 10 senators that abstained, they all voted for.
Not one opposed the resolution.

The good ol' U.S. of A. was bought and sold along time ago.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 08:43 - Dec 15 with 7181 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 08:25 - Dec 15 by Bluesquid

10 Abstained.
Yeas 90
Nays 0

It's certainly not representative of the general public in the US.
A recent survey showed that the embassy move has only got the backing of about 31 per cent of the population.
If it had of been representative then you would of expected some kind of opposition, maybe around 50 percent that voted against.
But bar those 10 senators that abstained, they all voted for.
Not one opposed the resolution.

The good ol' U.S. of A. was bought and sold along time ago.

It’s been US policy since Bill Clinton hasn't it. Very very inflammatory of Trump to enact it now though.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 13:12]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:08 - Dec 15 with 7169 viewsThrobbe

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 08:43 - Dec 15 by GlasgowBlue

It’s been US policy since Bill Clinton hasn't it. Very very inflammatory of Trump to enact it now though.

Is nfkzmitiry the new covfefe?

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:12 - Dec 15 with 7136 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:08 - Dec 15 by Throbbe

Is nfkzmitiry the new covfefe?

Ha. Well spotted.

Iron Lion Zion

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:14 - Dec 15 with 7163 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:10 - Dec 14 by m14_blue

Seriously?

I think that was more a formality thing. The original act went through in 1995 with the president expected to waive it as they've done every 6 months since 1995.

From what I can see, it's all a bit complicated ... until someone chooses to act on it. Then it becomes officially dangerous.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:35 - Dec 15 with 7138 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:14 - Dec 15 by Darth_Koont

I think that was more a formality thing. The original act went through in 1995 with the president expected to waive it as they've done every 6 months since 1995.

From what I can see, it's all a bit complicated ... until someone chooses to act on it. Then it becomes officially dangerous.

"until someone chooses to act on it. Then it becomes officially dangerous."

Well now they have acted on it.
Why do you suppose that not one senator opposed it and all (bar 10) voted for?
Login to get fewer ads

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 16:20 - Dec 15 with 7095 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:35 - Dec 15 by Bluesquid

"until someone chooses to act on it. Then it becomes officially dangerous."

Well now they have acted on it.
Why do you suppose that not one senator opposed it and all (bar 10) voted for?

Because they'd be making an unneccessary name for themselves. Over something that's largely a meaningless statement given how Congress doesn't have the mandate to handle US foreign policy.

Look, I don't agree with it politically (as domestic populism or a stupid international message) but this congressional act has been around for 22 years. It's the president that finally decides the time is right to act on it that is the problem.

on 17:13 - Dec 15 with 7063 views_

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 08:43 - Dec 15 by GlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:36 - Dec 15 with 7030 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 16:20 - Dec 15 by Darth_Koont

Because they'd be making an unneccessary name for themselves. Over something that's largely a meaningless statement given how Congress doesn't have the mandate to handle US foreign policy.

Look, I don't agree with it politically (as domestic populism or a stupid international message) but this congressional act has been around for 22 years. It's the president that finally decides the time is right to act on it that is the problem.

Well there is and has been so much criticism of Trump,
and of course Trump is partly the problem here but these senators had the perfect opportunity to show their real worth and oppose the resolution.

You said yourself that the act is dangerous, so how can 90 senators who voted for that act not be part of the problem?
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:51 - Dec 15 with 7003 viewsCurrie10

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:22 - Dec 12 by Clapham_Junction

Odd to omit Israel. Apart from the huge amount of racism towards Arabs, there is a lot of racism within the Jewish population; Mizrachi Jews were treated like second class citizens for years, and whilst this has improved, Ethiopian Jews are the new lower class (I recall a story whilst I was living there about a mayor of one city banning Ethiopian children from registering in the school system).

Oh and how the other countries treat Israel is acceptable I suppose?

I understand Israel, how it was formed, the history. I'm not stupid yet I'm going to open up a can of worms and no doubt get 100000 minus arrows here.

Israel seems a country it's perfectly acceptable to say all sorts of nasty things about - yet people wouldn't dare say various things about countries surrounding Israel for fear of being racist. Utterly laughable.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:57 - Dec 15 with 6996 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:51 - Dec 15 by Currie10

I understand Israel, how it was formed, the history. I'm not stupid yet I'm going to open up a can of worms and no doubt get 100000 minus arrows here.

Israel seems a country it's perfectly acceptable to say all sorts of nasty things about - yet people wouldn't dare say various things about countries surrounding Israel for fear of being racist. Utterly laughable.

I think it works both ways. Israel is a country that seems to have become a bit of a blind spot in the West because of the Holocaust and people run the risk of being labelled an anti-semite just because you think the Zionists go a little overboard the other way.

In the current set up, there's a religious, nationalist minority that are dragging them over towards being aggressors rather than defenders.

Put simply, they'd have a leg to stand on if there weren't so many who were intent on grabbing land rather than defending their own justifiable right to live there.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 21:59]

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 22:08 - Dec 15 with 6987 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 19:36 - Dec 15 by Bluesquid

Well there is and has been so much criticism of Trump,
and of course Trump is partly the problem here but these senators had the perfect opportunity to show their real worth and oppose the resolution.

You said yourself that the act is dangerous, so how can 90 senators who voted for that act not be part of the problem?

No, acting on it is dangerous when a normal President could choose to see it as a pretty meaningless statement.

But that's Trump all over. I expect he knew he was going to overturn convention and do this before he even moved into office. Because he doesn't care and he knew it would bring him a lot of attention and support from the evangelists who see this as prophesy.

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:37 - Dec 15 with 6958 viewsClapham_Junction

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 21:51 - Dec 15 by Currie10

I didn't say it was. My point was that claiming Israel was less racist than Australia was odd.

I also don't think anyone is afraid to say that the countries around Israel have terrible human rights records and are generally quite repressive.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 00:08 - Dec 16 with 6947 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 22:08 - Dec 15 by Darth_Koont

No, acting on it is dangerous when a normal President could choose to see it as a pretty meaningless statement.

But that's Trump all over. I expect he knew he was going to overturn convention and do this before he even moved into office. Because he doesn't care and he knew it would bring him a lot of attention and support from the evangelists who see this as prophesy.

But it wouldn't of gone through if it wasn't for those 90 senators. It could of been averted, they had the power then not Trump but they all chose to back him.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 0:25]
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 01:06 - Dec 16 with 6921 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 00:08 - Dec 16 by Bluesquid

But it wouldn't of gone through if it wasn't for those 90 senators. It could of been averted, they had the power then not Trump but they all chose to back him.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 0:25]

You need to look at the history of this to see that this wasn't a big deal. A stupid political move and silly convention, yes, but not a real foreign policy until Trump acted on it.

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 10:31 - Dec 16 with 6862 viewsCurrie10

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:37 - Dec 15 by Clapham_Junction

I didn't say it was. My point was that claiming Israel was less racist than Australia was odd.

I also don't think anyone is afraid to say that the countries around Israel have terrible human rights records and are generally quite repressive.

Oh I think people are very afraid to say anything about various countries.

Again - it's fine for people on panel shows to laugh at the Eastern Block, Romania gypsies etc and get huge laughter from the audience. Frankie Boyle and other cowards wouldn't dare have a pop at Somalia and co. Oh no,,,,,

In summary, South Park writers are my favourite kind of people. They will laugh at ANY topic, any way of life and I think cleverly break down barriers. They don't conform to what the public want.
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 10:45 - Dec 16 with 6847 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 23:37 - Dec 15 by Clapham_Junction

I thought I'd clarified this. I had worded it poorly. I didn't mean that Israel was less racist than Australia, although the indigenous population of Australia may take issue with you on this.

We were asked for countries who are more racist and backwards than Australia. My first thought was all of the middle eastern counties who are not only racist in their outllook and attitude, most of them have Israeli Jewish flight bans which when Trump applied similar to certain Muslim countries it was called racist, but they have a terrible record on gay rights and womens rights. I then excluded Israel from that list of middle eastern countries because they are head and shoulders above their middle eastern neighbours on those issues.

So it's not a case of Israel being more or less racist or backwards than Australia.

Iron Lion Zion

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 11:30 - Dec 16 with 6835 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 01:06 - Dec 16 by Darth_Koont

You need to look at the history of this to see that this wasn't a big deal. A stupid political move and silly convention, yes, but not a real foreign policy until Trump acted on it.

It's maybe not a big deal to you but i take it you have been reading/watching the news lately?
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:12 - Dec 16 with 6811 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 11:30 - Dec 16 by Bluesquid

It's maybe not a big deal to you but i take it you have been reading/watching the news lately?

Of course. As I said, Trump acting on it is terrible and colossally unhelpful to the peace process.

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:30 - Dec 16 with 6798 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:12 - Dec 16 by Darth_Koont

Of course. As I said, Trump acting on it is terrible and colossally unhelpful to the peace process.

Trump can act all he likes but without the support and help of the senators the resolution would not of been agreed to.

Surely you can see that?
Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:33 - Dec 16 with 6791 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:30 - Dec 16 by Bluesquid

Trump can act all he likes but without the support and help of the senators the resolution would not of been agreed to.

Surely you can see that?

We're going round in circles. It's been around for 22 years and waived every six months during that time.

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:37 - Dec 16 with 6781 viewsblue_oyster

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 10:45 - Dec 16 by GlasgowBlue

I thought I'd clarified this. I had worded it poorly. I didn't mean that Israel was less racist than Australia, although the indigenous population of Australia may take issue with you on this.

We were asked for countries who are more racist and backwards than Australia. My first thought was all of the middle eastern counties who are not only racist in their outllook and attitude, most of them have Israeli Jewish flight bans which when Trump applied similar to certain Muslim countries it was called racist, but they have a terrible record on gay rights and womens rights. I then excluded Israel from that list of middle eastern countries because they are head and shoulders above their middle eastern neighbours on those issues.

So it's not a case of Israel being more or less racist or backwards than Australia.

Basically what is being said in this thread, and highlighted by your point of using middle eastern countries as the example, is that countries ‘racist and backward’ are just ones that don’t conform with the latest western liberal thinking, regardless of whether it is good or bad.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 12:38]

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 13:12 - Dec 16 with 6756 viewsBluesquid

Is there a more racist, backwards country than Australia? on 12:12 - Dec 16 by Darth_Koont

Well it's been fun.

Here's what ive learnt...

Acting on it is terrible, voting for it is not.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 13:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024