Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link 10:40 - Jan 8 with 3778 viewsNewcyBlue

However, I have entered:

The Great North Run On 9th September 2018
The Great East Run on 16th September 2018

So my current home and my old home.

This year will be 10 years since my Mother passed away. In 2008 I was training to be an officer in the Merchant Navy. I started that job as it gave me the opportunity to earn a lot of money, and the best possible chance I could have to provide decent care for her.

She had Multiple Sclerosis. She died during my first week back at the Marine school. I spoke to her hours before she died. She was crying on the phone telling me she loved me. I told her not to worry, I had an overnight bus (megabus) booked from Newcastle on the Friday and I would see her Saturday morning. I had dinner with my flat mate, we watched some TV and did a bit of study. I woke up the next morning, had a shower, got ready and started walking in to the college. I phoned my Mum on the way. My Father answered. He and I hadn’t spoke for years, I didn’t even know he knew where my Mother and I lived. He said “I’m sorry son, she’s gone”.

My world fell apart. I didn’t realise how bad it would get. I hitched a lift down to Suffolk. The following day I was met by somebody from the housing association. I had 2 weeks to empty everything from the flat. My Mother and I had a disabled friendly flat in Felixstowe. I lost my Mother and my home in 24 hours.

I have come a very long way since then. Apologies for the abrupt ending, MrsNewcy wants to go out for brunch.

https://www.justgiving.com/Kenneth-Magee2

There’s my link.

It was hard to type my story out. We all have stories, that’s what makes TWD such a diverse and interesting place.

At the moment I reckon I can run a few miles, and struggle. I am not a natural runner. I am 88.5kgs and not in the best of shape. I’m having to do longer at sea to be home for both of these half marathons. It means less time at home on leave next time. Probably home for 5 weeks rather than the usual 8-10. I have to do this. It means something to me.

I’ll bump this thread every now and again, post updates on my training here. Hopefully I will see some of you at the Great East Run. Any of you doing the Great North Run give me a shout, I live in South Shields which is the finish line and am happy to help people out.

Thanks for reading.

NewcyBlue.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 20:47]

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 10:45 - Jan 8 with 3767 viewsSteve_M

I presume you're running it for MS then, stick your sponsorship page up in due course and I'll contribute.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 11:08 - Jan 8 with 3731 viewsitfcjoe

I've entered the Great East Run, and would be good to raise a glass to your mother if we both make it round! Will donate when sponsorship page comes round

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 12:07 - Jan 8 with 3700 viewsNewcyBlue

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 10:45 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

I presume you're running it for MS then, stick your sponsorship page up in due course and I'll contribute.

Yeah for the MS Society. When I get organised I will stick a link up.

Thanks Steve.

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 12:07 - Jan 8 with 3698 viewsNewcyBlue

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 11:08 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

I've entered the Great East Run, and would be good to raise a glass to your mother if we both make it round! Will donate when sponsorship page comes round

When we both make it round Joe! When! Not if.

I better start some running then....

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 17:16 - Jan 8 with 3644 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’ll donate when sponsorship comes rounds newcy

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 18:01 - Jan 8 with 3618 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You're a good man NewcyBlue !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 18:25 - Jan 8 with 3603 viewshoppy

Good lad. My aunt suffered with MS and was eventually wheelchair bound for years before we sadly lost her a few years back, so fully applaud you doing it mate. Will support you when you get page sorted.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 08:53 - Jan 9 with 3561 viewsNewcyBlue

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 18:25 - Jan 8 by hoppy

Good lad. My aunt suffered with MS and was eventually wheelchair bound for years before we sadly lost her a few years back, so fully applaud you doing it mate. Will support you when you get page sorted.

I am sure with the offer of a stottie or 2 you might be persuaded to come for a look along the route!

Login to get fewer ads

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 09:37 - Jan 9 with 3543 viewsunbelievablue

That's brilliant, well done. With you every step of the way.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 09:53 - Jan 9 with 3534 viewsTLA

I said I'd try to do one of them with you Newcy, and I've signed up for the Great East Run.

It's a long time since I've done any running and I think I'm going to love you and hate you in equal measures in the months ahead!

If I think I can get to the start line, I'm going to try to raise a few quid for a cause that's important to a mate who lost his dad just over a year ago.

I won't promote that here because everyone should give whatever they can to your fundraising effort. I certainly will.

I hope you had a good brunch with Mrs Newcy.
Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 13:25 - Jan 9 with 3508 viewsDBaldy

Good work. I ran the Great North Run in 2008 to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support, as my Mum was from Newcastle and had died of cancer the year before.

Was effing cold that morning but really enjoyed the run and raised a good chunk of money.

Leg injuries have prevented me from doing much more distance running, but I used to really enjoy it. Only advice I'll give is to make sure you have a training plan and stick to it as best you can, do that and both runs will be a breeze.
Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 20:50 - Jan 9 with 3460 viewsNewcyBlue

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 13:25 - Jan 9 by DBaldy

Good work. I ran the Great North Run in 2008 to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support, as my Mum was from Newcastle and had died of cancer the year before.

Was effing cold that morning but really enjoyed the run and raised a good chunk of money.

Leg injuries have prevented me from doing much more distance running, but I used to really enjoy it. Only advice I'll give is to make sure you have a training plan and stick to it as best you can, do that and both runs will be a breeze.

I have always found running on terra firma to be very difficult. It’s going to be a long old slog, and driving down the night before the Great East Run.

Hotel is already booked. 2 nights in Suffolk!

Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 12:20 - Jan 10 with 3389 viewscodiblue

Good on you

I have done the GNR 3 times.
Once for MS (08)
Once for Guide Dogs (09)
Once for Muscular Dystrophy (16)
And the wife has done 2.
Great weekend.

My training tips:
Find your nearest Park Run. Great atmosphere free 5k each week as a starter.
Try to have covered 10 miles minimum (in one session!) before the run. Ideally 12. The crowd are worth a mile to you though! They'll get you along the seafront.
Add a mile or so each month. Roughly be able to do 5 by March. 6 by Apr. 7 by May. 8 by June. 9 by July. 10 by Aug. 11 by Sept. Ish.
Don't feel all the training needs to be running. I nursed a sore calf through my last one as I needed to get through. It's time on your feet that is important. 2-hour walks just as valuable.
The above is from someone who "got round" in 2h15, 2h7 and 2h18. If you're a 7-min miler, ignore me!

Enjoy.
Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 20:53 - Sep 4 with 2431 viewsJ2BLUE

Done.

Newcy is a damn good guy who has listened to me whining about my life via PM for ages now. He's £5 away from his target. Lets help him smash it TWTD.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 21:07 - Sep 4 with 2403 viewsNewcyBlue

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 09:53 - Jan 9 by TLA

I said I'd try to do one of them with you Newcy, and I've signed up for the Great East Run.

It's a long time since I've done any running and I think I'm going to love you and hate you in equal measures in the months ahead!

If I think I can get to the start line, I'm going to try to raise a few quid for a cause that's important to a mate who lost his dad just over a year ago.

I won't promote that here because everyone should give whatever they can to your fundraising effort. I certainly will.

I hope you had a good brunch with Mrs Newcy.

I’m going to find out what cause you were going to run for and sign up for another run and do it for you Oz.

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 08:08 - Sep 5 with 2347 viewsSteve_M

Not quite as good as unbelievablue... on 10:45 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

Done, a mere eight months after I promised. Good luck with it.

Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 08:33 - Sep 5 with 2334 viewsPJH

Donation made.

Good luck mate(or should that be Captain).
Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 08:41 - Sep 5 with 2326 viewsDeano69

Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 20:53 - Sep 4 by J2BLUE

Done.

Newcy is a damn good guy who has listened to me whining about my life via PM for ages now. He's £5 away from his target. Lets help him smash it TWTD.

Also done.

Gives me a warm feeling seeing all those TWTD wishes of support and of course donations.

Good luck NB

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 13:30 - Sep 9 with 2241 viewsJ2BLUE

Good luck bud!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not quite as good as unbelievablue EDIT with link on 14:18 - Sep 9 with 2216 viewsSteve_M

He's done it. Well done Newcy:

Or his Garmin has and he's still catching up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024