Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer holiday in... TURKEY 19:12 - Jan 8 with 9333 viewscaught-in-limbo

Last summer we spent a fantastic holiday in Tamil Nadu / Kerala in India despite it being the tail end of the monsoon.

This year we're seriously considering Turkey.

Here's the wish list:

4 weeks
food
countryside (esp. mountains and cultural ruins)
culture
photography
some time near water (beach or lake - but away from hoards of tourists - essential)
generally happy to holiday on the cheap with a weekly splurge on an activity like a hot air balloon, fantastic meal, jeep trip etc.

Anybody been in August? Any do and don'ts I should know about?
All comments welcome.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:18 - Jan 8 with 6861 viewsSamuelowen88

We won’t for a few years ago.

Only think I will say in August it is HOT!!

Poll: England v Wales Score

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:25 - Jan 8 with 6847 viewsfactual_blue

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:18 - Jan 8 by Samuelowen88

Hot....and full of tourists.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:26 - Jan 8 with 6844 viewsstringy

Cappadocia is stunning, and that's where you want to take your hot air balloon ride.

Stay in Goreme in one of the 'fairy chimney' rooms (hugely varying prices); touristy enough that you can get local wine with your meal (region is getting increasingly conservative, last time I went to a big supermarket it no longer sold alcohol) and great local dishes too.

Fabulous landscape, not too expensive and then you have the mad underground Byzantine cities, and there's a great Neolithic site (well displayed with reconstructions etc) called Asikli Hoyuk not too far away, and maybe a day trip to the great Bronze Age citadel of Hattusa.

Flight to Istanbul or Ankara and then a connecting flight or bus (couple of hours from Anakara by coach I think).

Being in middle of country your not too close to any beaches, but maybe you could travel back via Black Sea coast resort?
Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:30 - Jan 8 with 6827 viewsBloomBlue

It's actually a bit like India
Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:50 - Jan 8 with 6792 viewsPendejo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:25 - Jan 8 by factual_blue

Not as full as it should be...

I have two colleagues who go [separately] there every year and the numbers are still down, presumably due to fears of terrorism. Great for those that do go, disastrous for the locals.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:26 - Jan 8 with 6699 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:18 - Jan 8 by Samuelowen88

How hot is HOT?

I can cope with 30C, perhaps even 35C if it's not humid. Is it THAT hot?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:28 - Jan 8 with 6696 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:25 - Jan 8 by factual_blue

I have a habit of missing tourists - I generally avoid beaches and arrive at sites early in the day.

Is it full of tourists everywhere all the time?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:46 - Jan 8 with 6673 viewsblue_oyster

Try not to criticise the administration, you might find your holiday extended longer than you expected.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:46 - Jan 8 with 6674 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:30 - Jan 8 by BloomBlue

It's actually a bit like India

Really? Which part of India?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:58 - Jan 8 with 6654 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 19:26 - Jan 8 by stringy

Cappadocia is stunning, and that's where you want to take your hot air balloon ride.

Stay in Goreme in one of the 'fairy chimney' rooms (hugely varying prices); touristy enough that you can get local wine with your meal (region is getting increasingly conservative, last time I went to a big supermarket it no longer sold alcohol) and great local dishes too.

Fabulous landscape, not too expensive and then you have the mad underground Byzantine cities, and there's a great Neolithic site (well displayed with reconstructions etc) called Asikli Hoyuk not too far away, and maybe a day trip to the great Bronze Age citadel of Hattusa.

Flight to Istanbul or Ankara and then a connecting flight or bus (couple of hours from Anakara by coach I think).

Being in middle of country your not too close to any beaches, but maybe you could travel back via Black Sea coast resort?

Very helpful, thanks.

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:05 - Jan 8 with 6640 viewsBent_double

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:26 - Jan 8 by caught-in-limbo

How hot is HOT?

Went to Bodrum in the first week of August in 2016, was mid to high 30's everyday, but never really felt unbearable, probably as we were on the coast.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:16 - Jan 8 with 6630 viewsMedwayTractor

For the cultural stuff, the obvious places are Ephesus, Troy, the big sights in Istanbul (Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace) etc, but, honestly, the whole country is a feast for culture lovers.

For something different, try Aphrodisias. It was noted for it's School of Sculpture in ancient times. We went there about 20 years ago, when the city was just beginning to be excavated fully, some of the exhibits in the museum were stunning, before most of the site had been opened up. Check the Wiki page for more info, or the site's own web page here:
http://www.aphrodisias.com/listingview.php?listingID=21

If you are going to be based anywhere on the SW coast, it shouldn't be too difficult to get there.

Pamukkale is brilliant for swimming in thermal waters, plus its an ancient city site. You might be able to get a hotel with it's own thermal pools, but the place will probably be stiff with German & Russian tourists in August

As far as weather etc is concerned, keep hydrated, don't get too exposed to the sun, I got sunstroke in Fethiye at the beginning of April!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:18 - Jan 8 with 6627 viewsericclacton

You didn't fancy Clacton then?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:26 - Jan 8 with 6605 viewsBent_double

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:18 - Jan 8 by ericclacton

Does anyone?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:26 - Jan 8 with 6605 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:16 - Jan 8 by MedwayTractor

For the cultural stuff, the obvious places are Ephesus, Troy, the big sights in Istanbul (Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace) etc, but, honestly, the whole country is a feast for culture lovers.

For something different, try Aphrodisias. It was noted for it's School of Sculpture in ancient times. We went there about 20 years ago, when the city was just beginning to be excavated fully, some of the exhibits in the museum were stunning, before most of the site had been opened up. Check the Wiki page for more info, or the site's own web page here:
http://www.aphrodisias.com/listingview.php?listingID=21

If you are going to be based anywhere on the SW coast, it shouldn't be too difficult to get there.

Pamukkale is brilliant for swimming in thermal waters, plus its an ancient city site. You might be able to get a hotel with it's own thermal pools, but the place will probably be stiff with German & Russian tourists in August

As far as weather etc is concerned, keep hydrated, don't get too exposed to the sun, I got sunstroke in Fethiye at the beginning of April!

That's brilliant. Thanks.

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:30 - Jan 8 with 6593 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:18 - Jan 8 by ericclacton

Looks like it might get too busy in August.

When are the quietest months?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:31 - Jan 8 with 6593 viewsjas0999

Probably not what you want to hear, but I’ve been to Turkey once and wouldn’t go back if offered a free holiday. Food average. Just disliked everything about the place and in late June it was exceptionally hot.
Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:32 - Jan 8 with 6589 viewsjas0999

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 21:26 - Jan 8 by caught-in-limbo

How hot is HOT?

It was 40oC in June.
Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:36 - Jan 8 with 6582 viewsericclacton

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:26 - Jan 8 by Bent_double

Does anyone?

Does anyone, of course anyone does, it's heaven on earth, you silly Bent double person.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:37 - Jan 8 with 6580 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:31 - Jan 8 by jas0999

Probably not what you want to hear, but I’ve been to Turkey once and wouldn’t go back if offered a free holiday. Food average. Just disliked everything about the place and in late June it was exceptionally hot.

Not what I wanted to hear but good to know regardless.

Whereabouts in Turkey did you go?

#toxic

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:43 - Jan 8 with 6571 viewsericclacton

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:30 - Jan 8 by caught-in-limbo

Looks like it might get too busy in August.

When are the quietest months?

October-May, but you could always have the key to my beach hut.

COSY!
Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:44 - Jan 8 with 6562 viewsBent_double

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:36 - Jan 8 by ericclacton

Does anyone, of course anyone does, it's heaven on earth, you silly Bent double person.

Having liked there for 17 years, I have to disagree.

Mind you, I now live in Gt Yarmouth, there's clearly something wrong with me.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:52 - Jan 8 with 6546 viewsericclacton

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:44 - Jan 8 by Bent_double

Having liked there for 17 years, I have to disagree.

Mind you, I now live in Gt Yarmouth, there's clearly something wrong with me.

Did you have a weird experience with a bag of chips, you don't have to answer that if you feel a tad embarassed. Yarmouth is in Norfolk are you under the weather?

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:59 - Jan 8 with 6534 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Have been to Fethiye area a few times. Lots to see off the beaten track. Fethiye is a large working town, has some wonderful restaurants generally locally sourced food. The people were pretty friendly, but it was very hot, up to 40c on occasions in August. Went late September/early October the following year, was around the mid to high 20s. There are no beaches in the town but a short dolmus ride will take to many lovely sandy quiet stretches of sand. Hope this may be of help to you.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 23:00 - Jan 8 with 6530 viewscaught-in-limbo

Summer holiday in... TURKEY on 22:59 - Jan 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

Have been to Fethiye area a few times. Lots to see off the beaten track. Fethiye is a large working town, has some wonderful restaurants generally locally sourced food. The people were pretty friendly, but it was very hot, up to 40c on occasions in August. Went late September/early October the following year, was around the mid to high 20s. There are no beaches in the town but a short dolmus ride will take to many lovely sandy quiet stretches of sand. Hope this may be of help to you.

Thanks Pinewood. That's useful.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024