Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump bottles it 08:42 - Jan 12 with 26050 viewsArcher4721

You won't be missed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-trip-visit-ca

Yeah,yeah,yeah
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 8:46]
Trump bottles it on 10:19 - Jan 12 with 3372 viewsnoggin

Trump bottles it on 10:17 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

So because someone is less well known and not as much of a friend it's fine if they do horrible things?

I honestly don't see the logic in your position.

SB

Not my position.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Trump bottles it on 10:21 - Jan 12 with 3368 viewsStokieBlue

Trump bottles it on 10:19 - Jan 12 by noggin

Not my position.

Fair enough.

Can you clarify your position then?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Trump bottles it on 10:21 - Jan 12 with 3360 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 10:15 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

So you are saying the views of a single person in charge of a country are more important than the policies actually implemented by that person in that country? Furthermore you are saying the fact that the person is better known should effect how people think about a state visit?

I pretty much disagree entirely.

SB

I think you're have very high expectations of the British public. Yes it would be great if we had a political awoken populace! We'd probably have a new government by tomorrow.

Its still different even if you focus on policy though. Trump, since becoming President, has already radically changed Americas immigration laws, putting a million people on a list of potential deportees. As an individual he is altering the state of the country.

China doesn't work like that, its a monolithic system that you probably know better than me has had policies running over many years and has been on a certain heading for a while now. The current leader, AFAIK, hasn't really done anything to alter that heading.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Trump bottles it on 10:28 - Jan 12 with 3354 viewsStokieBlue

Trump bottles it on 10:21 - Jan 12 by BackToRussia

I think you're have very high expectations of the British public. Yes it would be great if we had a political awoken populace! We'd probably have a new government by tomorrow.

Its still different even if you focus on policy though. Trump, since becoming President, has already radically changed Americas immigration laws, putting a million people on a list of potential deportees. As an individual he is altering the state of the country.

China doesn't work like that, its a monolithic system that you probably know better than me has had policies running over many years and has been on a certain heading for a while now. The current leader, AFAIK, hasn't really done anything to alter that heading.

Some very fair points there.

"China doesn't work like that, its a monolithic system that you probably know better than me has had policies running over many years and has been on a certain heading for a while now. The current leader, AFAIK, hasn't really done anything to alter that heading.

In the past this view would have been correct but it's not under Jinping. He's basically purged the party of all dissenters and is now acknowledged as the most powerful Chinese leader since Mao. He can literally do anything and what he says goes. He's changing policies all the time to create a legacy for himself.

You might be right about the political knowledge of the UK populace but that shouldn't hold for the media. Why are they so focused on stopping Trump but not a leader who authorises upwards of 2500 executions a year (actual number unknown) and persecutes all the minorities in his country?

I'm quite happy for Trump not to come, as I've said he's a total tool. The double-standards however in the media and thus by extension the public are quite stark to me.

SB

Trump bottles it on 10:36 - Jan 12 with 3343 viewsfactual_blue

Trump bottles it on 10:00 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

And they didn’t own the embassy to sell. They leased it off the Duke of Westminster’s estate.

So basically, his whole tweet is false.

The Qataris took on the lease and it will be a new hotel

Quite - the Westminster Estate never sells freeholds.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Trump bottles it on 10:38 - Jan 12 with 3341 viewsRyorry

Trump bottles it on 09:43 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

Yet Xi Jinping was welcomed.

Whilst I agree that Trump is a total tool the double-standards shown by quite a few people seem rather strange.

SB

Not to mention Pinochet.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Trump bottles it on 10:40 - Jan 12 with 3335 viewsStokieBlue

Trump bottles it on 10:38 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

Not to mention Pinochet.

To be fair that was 30 years ago!

SB

Trump bottles it on 10:41 - Jan 12 with 3333 viewsRyorry

Trump bottles it on 10:40 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

To be fair that was 30 years ago!

SB

Even so.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Trump bottles it on 10:47 - Jan 12 with 3316 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 10:28 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

Some very fair points there.

"China doesn't work like that, its a monolithic system that you probably know better than me has had policies running over many years and has been on a certain heading for a while now. The current leader, AFAIK, hasn't really done anything to alter that heading.

In the past this view would have been correct but it's not under Jinping. He's basically purged the party of all dissenters and is now acknowledged as the most powerful Chinese leader since Mao. He can literally do anything and what he says goes. He's changing policies all the time to create a legacy for himself.

You might be right about the political knowledge of the UK populace but that shouldn't hold for the media. Why are they so focused on stopping Trump but not a leader who authorises upwards of 2500 executions a year (actual number unknown) and persecutes all the minorities in his country?

I'm quite happy for Trump not to come, as I've said he's a total tool. The double-standards however in the media and thus by extension the public are quite stark to me.

SB

I wouldn't like to guess the motivations of the British media! Far too disgusting, but you are right of course about the hypocrisy. Not exactly a new thing, would be all I can say about that. The mainstream media is usually pretty conformist to the state line on foreign policy, even if it means spinning positives about dictators. Having said that, you could probably find a lot written about China's human rights abuses written by the UK press - it just doesn't happen to be written with the same focus as Trump. We are historically very close to the US, whatever happens there we identify with quite strongly still.

You also have to consider that if the population are largely ignorant/not bothered about China's problems, they are less likely to be written about too. Just as we do not hear much about countries in the news that are essentially failed states.

There is even an imbalance in reporting Trump's actions - Trump says "sh1thole" (in a private meeting BTW) and it's wall-to-wall international coverage. News that he has given a million people a year to either apply for citizenship or be deported, barely see a story on it.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Trump bottles it on 10:48 - Jan 12 with 3307 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 10:38 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

Not to mention Pinochet.

Well just imagine how many dictators and tyrants the US and UK governments have kept in power over the years... = many embarrassing photos like this:

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Trump bottles it on 10:50 - Jan 12 with 3308 viewsnoggin

Trump bottles it on 10:21 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

Fair enough.

Can you clarify your position then?

SB

My position is, we shouldn’t welcome any dictator or leader with questionable human rights record.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Trump bottles it on 11:09 - Jan 12 with 3288 viewsGlasgowBlue

Trump bottles it on 10:50 - Jan 12 by noggin

My position is, we shouldn’t welcome any dictator or leader with questionable human rights record.

Well that's about 90% of past state visits that wouldn't happen.

Does Trump have have a questionable human rights record? He certainly isn't a dictator.

I've seen you show support for Hamas in the past. Would you welcome their leader to the UK considering their record on executing homosexuals?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Trump bottles it on 11:29 - Jan 12 with 3277 viewsElderGrizzly

Trump bottles it on 10:36 - Jan 12 by factual_blue

Quite - the Westminster Estate never sells freeholds.

I did like this today too. Feel sorry for the poo emoji tbh

Trump bottles it on 11:38 - Jan 12 with 3266 viewsLord_Lucan

Trump bottles it on 09:43 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

Yet Xi Jinping was welcomed.

Whilst I agree that Trump is a total tool the double-standards shown by quite a few people seem rather strange.

SB

Mugabe

End.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Trump bottles it on 11:45 - Jan 12 with 3254 viewsGlasgowBlue

Trump bottles it on 11:38 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

Mugabe

End.

Nicolae Ceaușescu FFS.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Trump bottles it on 11:51 - Jan 12 with 3250 viewsNo9

Trump bottles it on 11:45 - Jan 12 by GlasgowBlue

Nicolae Ceaușescu FFS.

But giving sucour to Pinochet was OK?
Trump bottles it on 11:51 - Jan 12 with 3251 viewsLord_Lucan

Trump bottles it on 11:45 - Jan 12 by GlasgowBlue

Nicolae Ceaușescu FFS.

Say what you like about Nicky but he was extremely popular at home. He always got 100% of the vote.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Trump bottles it on 12:11 - Jan 12 with 3229 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Can someone explain to me why people weren’t so vociferous when Xi Jinping came to visit.
Trump bottles it on 12:12 - Jan 12 with 3223 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 12:11 - Jan 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

Can someone explain to me why people weren’t so vociferous when Xi Jinping came to visit.

Interesting new direction you're trying to take this thread.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Trump bottles it on 12:14 - Jan 12 with 3214 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Trump bottles it on 12:12 - Jan 12 by BackToRussia

Interesting new direction you're trying to take this thread.

No I’m genuinely interested. Is it the Muslim thing?... because the Chinese government ‘disappear’ around 200 Muslims a year. And I don’t think trump has got to the point of clandestine executions yet
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 12:16]
Trump bottles it on 12:16 - Jan 12 with 3207 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 12:14 - Jan 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

No I’m genuinely interested. Is it the Muslim thing?... because the Chinese government ‘disappear’ around 200 Muslims a year. And I don’t think trump has got to the point of clandestine executions yet
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 12:16]

lol try reading the rest of the thread.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Trump bottles it on 12:21 - Jan 12 with 3188 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Trump bottles it on 12:16 - Jan 12 by BackToRussia

lol try reading the rest of the thread.

Ah!

Nobody’s really answered the point though. Trump might be the most unfit president I can imagine, but he doesn’t deserve the press he gets either IMO
Trump bottles it on 12:24 - Jan 12 with 3181 viewsLord_Lucan

Trump bottles it on 12:21 - Jan 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

Ah!

Nobody’s really answered the point though. Trump might be the most unfit president I can imagine, but he doesn’t deserve the press he gets either IMO

I sort of agree - in a way.

Thing is though, as much as it pains me the USA are the biggest and strongest nation on the planet and they should be setting a better example.

Trump bottles it on 12:25 - Jan 12 with 3179 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 12:21 - Jan 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

Ah!

Nice doublethink.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Trump bottles it on 12:26 - Jan 12 with 3177 viewsBackToRussia

Trump bottles it on 12:24 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

I sort of agree - in a way.

Thing is though, as much as it pains me the USA are the biggest and strongest nation on the planet and they should be setting a better example.

Trump is a racist psychopath who has never worked a proper day in his life. On what level is he hard done by?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024