Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from 21:22 - Jan 17 with 22402 viewscaught-in-limbo

Depression, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, ADHD, OCD or other mental health problems... or even those, like me, who are just interested in the subject.

There's an 8-part docuseries which started today and runs for the next 7 days.

The first episode which you have probably missed unless you're very quick was an intro to the topic. Tomorrow's episode will look at gut health and its affect on the brain.

Here's a trailer for the programme:

Here's where you sign up to view the episodes:
https://brokenbrain.com/trailer/
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 9:39]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Bigger heads up on 21:52 - Jan 17 with 12681 viewssparks

The man behind this appears to be widely discredited by serious scientists and practices a mixture of obvious commone sense medicine and "woo". He is not a psychiatrist or a neurologist.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Bigger heads up on 22:08 - Jan 17 with 12643 viewscaught-in-limbo

Bigger heads up on 21:52 - Jan 17 by sparks

The man behind this appears to be widely discredited by serious scientists and practices a mixture of obvious commone sense medicine and "woo". He is not a psychiatrist or a neurologist.

The programme focuses on creating mental health and treating mental health problems that way. If you think that promoting a healthy lifestyle through diet, exercise, good sleep, and the like is "woo" and contrary to the advice given by "serious scientists", the programme is probably not for you.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2018 22:14]

#toxic

Bigger heads up on 05:43 - Jan 18 with 12522 viewscaught-in-limbo

Bigger heads up on 22:08 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

The programme focuses on creating mental health and treating mental health problems that way. If you think that promoting a healthy lifestyle through diet, exercise, good sleep, and the like is "woo" and contrary to the advice given by "serious scientists", the programme is probably not for you.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2018 22:14]

BUMP!

Having had relatives who have suffered from so-called "mental health problems" and having read several posts written by some of TWTD's own forumistas who suffer directly (or because their loved ones do) from mental heath problems, it's clear that our society and health professionals don't have all the answers to these awful conditions.

So, despite any nay-sayers who cast their negativity over this topic in the name of "serious scientists" without even watching the programmes, I will continue to bump this thread until I think all those who have "mental health" problems in their families have had the opportunity to watch the videos and to determine for themselves whether the information might be helpful to them.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 5:55]

#toxic

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 06:31 - Jan 18 with 12480 viewsTLA

Thanks for posting this CIL - I've watched the trailer and will try to find some time to take a look at the documentaries.

I read the article someone posted on here with the excerpt from Johann Hari's new book last week, which challenged the overuse of medication in the treatment of mental illness.

I didn't necessarily agree with everything in that piece and I probably won't with these films but different perspectives are always worth considering. As with everything, there's a balance to be found and each individuals experience needs to be taken into account.

Thanks again for sharing this.
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 06:38 - Jan 18 with 12472 viewsElderGrizzly

Summary of the series here

http://drhyman.com/blog/2017/10/27/5-things-learned-broken-brain-docuseries/

As Sparks says though, should be viewed with significant sceptism. He claims (among hundreds of other claims) to have cured autism and returned a child to a “normal state” (his words) through using his supplements he sells.

A summary of him:
“Dr. Mark Hyman is an antivaxxer physician who practices "functional medicine", basically pseudoscience which deals in such vague concepts as "imbalances in core systems of the body" and "detoxification". Hyman sells expensive "detox supplements", vitamins, and a "detox diet program", among a long list of other such substances and items, all of which he markets through his online "store", and his "Ultrawellness Center". He recommends and sells his expensive products to his patients”

If it works for you, great, but he and his functionsal medicine approach is widely discredited in the medical profession in the USA
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 6:47]
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:08 - Jan 18 with 12429 viewsTLA

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 06:38 - Jan 18 by ElderGrizzly

As Sparks says though, should be viewed with significant sceptism. He claims (among hundreds of other claims) to have cured autism and returned a child to a “normal state” (his words) through using his supplements he sells.

A summary of him:
“Dr. Mark Hyman is an antivaxxer physician who practices "functional medicine", basically pseudoscience which deals in such vague concepts as "imbalances in core systems of the body" and "detoxification". Hyman sells expensive "detox supplements", vitamins, and a "detox diet program", among a long list of other such substances and items, all of which he markets through his online "store", and his "Ultrawellness Center". He recommends and sells his expensive products to his patients”

If it works for you, great, but he and his functionsal medicine approach is widely discredited in the medical profession in the USA

Thanks for the info Grizzly.

I often take little things out of approaches I don't fully support so I reckon it's worth having a look.

The trailer had a very 'marketing' feel to it but mental health is such an under-researched subject that I'm always open to what people have to say about it.
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:32 - Jan 18 with 12396 viewsHarry_Palmer

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 06:38 - Jan 18 by ElderGrizzly

A summary of him:

Yes because the mainstream medical approach based primarily on pharmaceutical drugs is working so well currently is the USA isn't it.

http://theconversation.com/us-life-expectancy-just-dropped-for-the-second-year-i

https://www.americashealthrankings.org/learn/reports/2016-annual-report/comparis
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:35 - Jan 18 with 12395 viewssparks

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:08 - Jan 18 by TLA

Thanks for the info Grizzly.

I often take little things out of approaches I don't fully support so I reckon it's worth having a look.

The trailer had a very 'marketing' feel to it but mental health is such an under-researched subject that I'm always open to what people have to say about it.

Whist some may approach this with appropriate scepticism and knowledge many are drawn into and trust this potentially dangerous pseudo science. The Dr makes a fortune from it.

The very fact that the 2nd episode it's apparently set to address supposed direct connections between gut bacteria and health, and psychiatric conditions tells us much. He does far more than simply advocate healthy living and its knock on benefits. This is quackery.

The man has no psychiatric qualifications and I doubt he has a single paper in support of his woo properly peer reviewed in serious medical journals.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

on 07:41 - Jan 18 with 12374 views_

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:32 - Jan 18 by Harry_Palmer

Yes because the mainstream medical approach based primarily on pharmaceutical drugs is working so well currently is the USA isn't it.

http://theconversation.com/us-life-expectancy-just-dropped-for-the-second-year-i

https://www.americashealthrankings.org/learn/reports/2016-annual-report/comparis

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:44 - Jan 18 with 12375 viewstcblue

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:32 - Jan 18 by Harry_Palmer

To add another sweeping generalisation to yours, that's a problem of diagnosis more than pharma. It's incredibly difficult to accurately diagnose most mental disorders, and that's not even half the battle over when it comes to dialling in the correct treatment.

That said, there's still more empirical evidence of success for treatments using pharmaceutical sciences than homeopathy and rain dances.
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:46 - Jan 18 with 12371 viewsHarry_Palmer

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:35 - Jan 18 by sparks

Whist some may approach this with appropriate scepticism and knowledge many are drawn into and trust this potentially dangerous pseudo science. The Dr makes a fortune from it.

The very fact that the 2nd episode it's apparently set to address supposed direct connections between gut bacteria and health, and psychiatric conditions tells us much. He does far more than simply advocate healthy living and its knock on benefits. This is quackery.

The man has no psychiatric qualifications and I doubt he has a single paper in support of his woo properly peer reviewed in serious medical journals.

And what about the millions who blindly trust the current mainstream medical system that mainly deals in prescribing pills which often do more harm than good? Are you not equally concerned about these people?

There is growing evidence about the links between the gut and the brain although it is something that science does not yet fully understand, to just dismiss this out of hand as quackery is somewhat narrow minded.
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:49 - Jan 18 with 12366 viewsgiant_stow

Appreciated Mrs. Will try and find time later.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:52 - Jan 18 with 12355 viewsHarry_Palmer

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:44 - Jan 18 by tcblue

To add another sweeping generalisation to yours, that's a problem of diagnosis more than pharma. It's incredibly difficult to accurately diagnose most mental disorders, and that's not even half the battle over when it comes to dialling in the correct treatment.

That said, there's still more empirical evidence of success for treatments using pharmaceutical sciences than homeopathy and rain dances.

The USA is statistically one of the least healthy 1st world countries. That's not a sweeping generalisation, its a fact.

And who exactly mentioned homeopathy or rain dances as alternative therapys?
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:57 - Jan 18 with 12339 viewstcblue

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:52 - Jan 18 by Harry_Palmer

The USA is statistically one of the least healthy 1st world countries. That's not a sweeping generalisation, its a fact.

And who exactly mentioned homeopathy or rain dances as alternative therapys?

Me, just now.

And again, the problem in the States is one of diagnosis. I'm guessing that you've had bad experiences or seen effects of bad diagnosis and treatment, but it's incredibly damaging to write off what is considered broadly the best approach by scientific consensus so flippantly.
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:58 - Jan 18 with 12336 viewsTLA

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:35 - Jan 18 by sparks

Apart from the trailer, I won't have time to watch the program for a little while. As I said, I'll start to watch before I form an opinion but I often take stuff away from things I don't fully agree with.

If it's sales pitch, I'll keep that in mind so thanks for giving your opinion on that sparks.

I always prefer when there is an evidence-base but I sometimes learn from other stuff too. In terms of the evidence-based stuff, I really like the fact that the following piece of work from the Foresight project:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/292453

led to a very accessible public health promotion that focuses on everyone's mental health:

http://neweconomics.org/2008/10/five-ways-to-wellbeing-the-evidence/
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:09 - Jan 18 with 12322 viewssparks

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:46 - Jan 18 by Harry_Palmer

And what about the millions who blindly trust the current mainstream medical system that mainly deals in prescribing pills which often do more harm than good? Are you not equally concerned about these people?

There is growing evidence about the links between the gut and the brain although it is something that science does not yet fully understand, to just dismiss this out of hand as quackery is somewhat narrow minded.

Your argument is fallacious.

Show me some decent peer reviewed science supporting these claims.

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:15 - Jan 18 with 12311 viewssparks

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:58 - Jan 18 by TLA

Apart from the trailer, I won't have time to watch the program for a little while. As I said, I'll start to watch before I form an opinion but I often take stuff away from things I don't fully agree with.

If it's sales pitch, I'll keep that in mind so thanks for giving your opinion on that sparks.

I always prefer when there is an evidence-base but I sometimes learn from other stuff too. In terms of the evidence-based stuff, I really like the fact that the following piece of work from the Foresight project:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/292453

led to a very accessible public health promotion that focuses on everyone's mental health:

http://neweconomics.org/2008/10/five-ways-to-wellbeing-the-evidence/

Stuff You Learn without an evidence base has a high likelihood of being wrong but will mix with your other knowledge and views.

A big red flag on this one is that you have to give your details to be allowed to watch it. .. suggestive of a marketing list rather than altruism. thereafter it will presumably be behind a pay wall. ..

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:27 - Jan 18 with 12286 viewsHarry_Palmer

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 07:57 - Jan 18 by tcblue

Me, just now.

And again, the problem in the States is one of diagnosis. I'm guessing that you've had bad experiences or seen effects of bad diagnosis and treatment, but it's incredibly damaging to write off what is considered broadly the best approach by scientific consensus so flippantly.

I am not writing it off completely but the current model that is too heavily based on treating symptoms and not dealing with root cause is clearly not working very well in many western societies. Other more holistic approaches to health are now starting to be considered by many people that are tired of being sick and continually popping pills.

I am not saying there is no place at all for drugs, just that perhaps the balance needs to shift somewhat.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 8:28]
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:35 - Jan 18 with 12269 viewsHarry_Palmer

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:09 - Jan 18 by sparks

Your argument is fallacious.

Show me some decent peer reviewed science supporting these claims.

Being at work I do not have the time or inclination to provide the evidence you require.

I have read articles and info from credible and respected Doctors that suggest a link between gut health and brain function / mental health but as I said this is in its early stages from a scientific point of view. The studies are probably ongoing.

There is plenty of info out there if you wish to research it for yourself, however I rather suspect you will wait a few years until you can see it has all been rubber stamped and signed off for you.
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:36 - Jan 18 with 12268 viewsSwailsey

on 07:41 - Jan 18 by _

It was the complete opposite for me!

I think that’s why there can never be hard and fast rules on these things.

I tend to always think of it like this:

Medication on its own = temporary fix at best
Medication and therapy = a winning combination
Therapy on it’s own = very much depending on the individual

It all depends on what you’re being treated for as well of course.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 8:37]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

on 09:27 - Jan 18 with 12231 views_

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:36 - Jan 18 by Swailsey

It was the complete opposite for me!

I think that’s why there can never be hard and fast rules on these things.

I tend to always think of it like this:

Medication on its own = temporary fix at best
Medication and therapy = a winning combination
Therapy on it’s own = very much depending on the individual

It all depends on what you’re being treated for as well of course.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 8:37]

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 09:31 - Jan 18 with 12222 viewsThisIsMyUsername

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:27 - Jan 18 by Harry_Palmer

I am not writing it off completely but the current model that is too heavily based on treating symptoms and not dealing with root cause is clearly not working very well in many western societies. Other more holistic approaches to health are now starting to be considered by many people that are tired of being sick and continually popping pills.

I am not saying there is no place at all for drugs, just that perhaps the balance needs to shift somewhat.

But isn't the problem that the root causes are still not fully known? In the case of depression for example, is depression caused by low levels of serotonin or are low levels of serotonin caused by depression? Are faulty cognitive processes caused by depression or is depression caused by faulty cognitive process? From my own personal experience, SSRIs have helped to improve both mood and to reduce unhealthy thoughts, so is that treating the symptoms or the causes?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 09:33 - Jan 18 with 12214 viewsBackToRussia

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:27 - Jan 18 by Harry_Palmer

Maybe people need to realise there's not a cure for being a human being.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

on 09:40 - Jan 18 with 12199 views_

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 09:33 - Jan 18 by BackToRussia

Maybe people need to realise there's not a cure for being a human being.

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 09:54 - Jan 18 with 12173 viewsBackToRussia

on 09:40 - Jan 18 by _

I think the main problem is that probably a lot of people do need mental health treatment, but it's essentially too expensive and time consuming to offer it to the amount of people who need it.

And it is worsened by the fact that people can't take basic care of themselves a lot of the time, most notably diet and exercise. Most people eat something that is quite far away from the food we ate even a generation ago, and most people get zero exercise at all. Not just a little bit, but zero.

Coupled with that the fact that most people are working a job they hate, and you get a nation of unfit, unhappy people with little offer of treatment, unless you want to mess around with group therapy or CBT. Most people end up on a course of antidepressants of course but that's a whole other debate.

Hence you are getting people pushed towards threads like this and "selfhelp". But mostly this is an area full of charlatans who want to sell you an answer to all your woes. Your brain is BROKEN and can be fixed. To me this is a hair's breadth from saying your soul is damned but it can be SAVED, especially when you have the magic pills to go with it in the merchandise section.

The actual fixes are the obvious ones that most people could put into place tomorrow, but for people with serious mental disorders, the reality is a lot bleaker.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 9:55]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024