Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sickly colleagues 08:51 - Jan 22 with 21946 viewsGeoffSentence

The ones who pick up every little sniffle going and they always retire to bed as it is inevitably accompanied by a high temperature. How do you feel towards them? Sympathetic? Those poor bloggers don't half suffer. Or do you get annoyed that you end up doing their work for them?

I've been in The work force for sometime now and have found that my reserves of sympathy ha e been drained dry as the years grind by.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sickly colleagues on 13:23 - Jan 23 with 1550 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 12:26 - Jan 23 by Throbbe

Yeah, I'm totally with you on fag breaks. As a bit of a TWTD posterboy for mental health issues I actually see getting the odd 10 minutes away from your desk to destress as quite a good thing, but I'd expect it to apply to everyone equally, and anyone actually losing 1-2hours a day in fag breaks would need to be making up the time elsewhere or finding a new job.

That said, I'd be more than happy to be judged purely on results rather than time spent at my desk, but that's hard to apply to most work environments.

I assume we all agree that posting on TWTD in work time is entirely acceptable though.

haha as a retail worker I have little to do when not serving and other work has been done. Posting on here and staying alert is doing my employer a service IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sickly colleagues on 14:53 - Jan 23 with 1500 viewsRyorry

Sickly colleagues on 11:52 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

What about smoke breaks? We can all agree on that one surely? It seems perfectly acceptable for smokers at the places i've worked to go out for a smoke every hour for 10-15 minutes.

That Japanese company who gave non smokers an extra few days off had the right idea.

Basically, people want a fair deal and not to be taken the piss out of. I would love to book time off over Christmas each year. I don't because if i'm not in someone else has to be so they'd have to work more over Christmas and that's unfair to me. That's all I want. Fairness for all.

Whaaaaa-at - you cannot be serious - 10-15 mins every hour to have a smoke??!! That's an extra 1.5 hours out of a 7-hour working day, assuming one such break is taken during a 1-hour lunch break.

If I'd taken that amount of time out in any job I'd worked in, from cleaner to chambermaid to probation officer via secretarial & agricultural work, I'd have been told to get my p45, and do one!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sickly colleagues on 15:07 - Jan 23 with 1493 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 14:53 - Jan 23 by Ryorry

Whaaaaa-at - you cannot be serious - 10-15 mins every hour to have a smoke??!! That's an extra 1.5 hours out of a 7-hour working day, assuming one such break is taken during a 1-hour lunch break.

If I'd taken that amount of time out in any job I'd worked in, from cleaner to chambermaid to probation officer via secretarial & agricultural work, I'd have been told to get my p45, and do one!

Looking back they were very relaxed offices. Unfortunately that leads to people taking advantage of the situation.

Meanwhile at my job i've just had a woman complain. Her own stupidity and inability to read has cost her£100. She has twisted something my colleague said to try and get the money back. Despite me making it clear it wasn't up to me to give her the money back I got the brunt of the abuse. Now she's going to make a complaint further up the chain (about me,no doubt) and leave us negative reviews. It's over something that we simply can't offer or we'd go bankrupt but the customer is always right and if you don't get what you want just whine, bitch and lie until you do. She even has the nerve to tell me not to blame my colleague when I simply said 'unfortunately that isn't correct and i'm sorry but you shouldn't have been told that'. I don't think we've ever had one honest complaint. It's always dramatised and twisted to make us look like we just laughed in their face and waved £20 notes at them.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 15:15]

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 16:55 - Jan 23 with 1460 viewsThrobbe

Sickly colleagues on 13:23 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

haha as a retail worker I have little to do when not serving and other work has been done. Posting on here and staying alert is doing my employer a service IMO.

Something something, that fryer wont clean itself, etc.

I do think everyone should work in retail once in their lives, if only for a few months.

I did a year as a part time checkout monkey at Solar while at school and would like to think I have been unerringly kind and sympathetic to anyone in retail for the following 30 or so years as a result.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Sickly colleagues on 17:01 - Jan 23 with 1450 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 16:55 - Jan 23 by Throbbe

Something something, that fryer wont clean itself, etc.

I do think everyone should work in retail once in their lives, if only for a few months.

I did a year as a part time checkout monkey at Solar while at school and would like to think I have been unerringly kind and sympathetic to anyone in retail for the following 30 or so years as a result.

Agreed, I was thinking that recently. National service of 3 months in retail.

I'm the same, i'll be extremely polite to anyone I deal with.

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 17:04 - Jan 23 with 1439 viewsBenters2

Self employed.

End of.

No work no money,you have to keep going if you feel crap.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 17:11]
Sickly colleagues on 17:05 - Jan 23 with 1439 viewsGeoffSentence

Sickly colleagues on 17:01 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

Agreed, I was thinking that recently. National service of 3 months in retail.

I'm the same, i'll be extremely polite to anyone I deal with.

I have to be polite to cold callers now, because my daughter is working in advertising sales cald calling potential customers.

Wasted 15 minutes of my day being nice to some young chap who called trying to drum up leads for window sales yesterday.

A year ago I just would have given him a polite no thanks and hung up, which probably would have been better for both of us, but because of my darned daughter I now feel like I have to be nice to the beggars.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sickly colleagues on 18:32 - Jan 23 with 1399 viewsRyorry

Sickly colleagues on 15:07 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

Looking back they were very relaxed offices. Unfortunately that leads to people taking advantage of the situation.

Meanwhile at my job i've just had a woman complain. Her own stupidity and inability to read has cost her£100. She has twisted something my colleague said to try and get the money back. Despite me making it clear it wasn't up to me to give her the money back I got the brunt of the abuse. Now she's going to make a complaint further up the chain (about me,no doubt) and leave us negative reviews. It's over something that we simply can't offer or we'd go bankrupt but the customer is always right and if you don't get what you want just whine, bitch and lie until you do. She even has the nerve to tell me not to blame my colleague when I simply said 'unfortunately that isn't correct and i'm sorry but you shouldn't have been told that'. I don't think we've ever had one honest complaint. It's always dramatised and twisted to make us look like we just laughed in their face and waved £20 notes at them.

Bloodyell. Maybe there was a bit of displacement anger going on, and you were the handiest cat to kick in her rotten day/life.

Use that incident to gee you up into taking action faster. Here's a link with potetial tasters for you - and all these are *free*!

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 18:34]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Sickly colleagues on 18:32 - Jan 23 with 1398 viewstractorboy1978

Sickly colleagues on 15:07 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

A flexible company, with a relaxed working environment based on trust is absolutely fantastic but there are always people that take the piss and abuse it. Whether it be cigarette breaks, flexitime, using kids as an excuse, working from home.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024