Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sickly colleagues 08:51 - Jan 22 with 21945 viewsGeoffSentence

The ones who pick up every little sniffle going and they always retire to bed as it is inevitably accompanied by a high temperature. How do you feel towards them? Sympathetic? Those poor bloggers don't half suffer. Or do you get annoyed that you end up doing their work for them?

I've been in The work force for sometime now and have found that my reserves of sympathy ha e been drained dry as the years grind by.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sickly colleagues on 20:19 - Jan 22 with 6017 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 20:13 - Jan 22 by ipswich78

You come across as a very bitter individual. You need to get that chip off of your shoulder if you want to better yourself.

Bitter because people can't do the job they signed up for?

When someone signs up to a job advertised with specific hours and then says they can't do those hours and can only do certain shifts which the rest of us have to work around I don't think that is acceptable.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sickly colleagues on 20:22 - Jan 22 with 6004 viewsjeera

You come across as a very bitter individual. You need to get that chip off of your shoulder if you want to better yourself.

He actually just comes across as someone who feels he is regularly being taken advantage of.

You seem keen on taking a dig for the sake of it though.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sickly colleagues on 20:25 - Jan 22 with 6001 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 20:22 - Jan 22 by jeera

He actually just comes across as someone who feels he is regularly being taken advantage of.

You seem keen on taking a dig for the sake of it though.

Cheers. I assume he has kids and i've touched a nerve. Oh well.

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 20:25 - Jan 22 with 5998 viewsBackToRussia

Sickly colleagues on 19:57 - Jan 22 by Dyland

Yes, resin in a pill. Think they mix these ones with avocado (hmmm, wotever). I ate it kinda by mistake, or rather not really knowing exactly what it was. Moments of intensity but generally mellow. And dimension bending not unlike old school psychotropic chemicals, mescaline e.g. Overwhelming impression a couple of days later is that my mind feels uncluttered. I can't easily explain it. But I'll be getting my hands on some more, for recreational as much as medicinal reasons, nyoms.

Holy guacamole. I may have to explore this in further detail anon.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Sickly colleagues on 20:34 - Jan 22 with 5978 viewsbrogansnose

You don't come over as very self entitled whatsoever.
on 20:38 - Jan 22 with 5972 views_

Sickly colleagues on 09:27 - Jan 22 by GeoffSentence

Ha. Touché.

Are you one of the sickly fok?

Sickly colleagues on 20:39 - Jan 22 with 5959 viewsjeera

Sickly colleagues on 20:34 - Jan 22 by brogansnose

You don't come over as very self entitled whatsoever.

I blame the children.

Disease ridden creatures.

That's where all the colds are coming from.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sickly colleagues on 20:43 - Jan 22 with 5946 viewsbrogansnose

Sickly colleagues on 20:39 - Jan 22 by jeera

I blame the children.

Disease ridden creatures.

That's where all the colds are coming from.

When the boy started going to school Madam B and myself were almost perpetually stricken with colds.

Kids, they're bloody lurgey carriers.
Login to get fewer ads

Sickly colleagues on 21:45 - Jan 22 with 5906 viewsipswich78

Sickly colleagues on 20:25 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Cheers. I assume he has kids and i've touched a nerve. Oh well.

No I don’t actually. However I manage people with children. The stress some of them go through to hold down jobs, deal with childcare that lets them down, kids off sick from nursery / school etc. It makes you realise how tough it can be for some parents to juggle everything.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Sickly colleagues on 22:25 - Jan 22 with 5890 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sickly colleagues on 21:45 - Jan 22 by ipswich78

No I don’t actually. However I manage people with children. The stress some of them go through to hold down jobs, deal with childcare that lets them down, kids off sick from nursery / school etc. It makes you realise how tough it can be for some parents to juggle everything.

Don't have kids then.

I'm with J2... the amount of people who use kids as an excuse to get out of work is shocking. Those of us who don't have kids have no convenient get out clause and are thus forced to work late because we don't have their commitments.

If you have kids, surely there's another half that can deal with them. I have other things I'd like to be doing rather than working late but unfortunately they aren't deemed good enough compared with 'I haven't seen my kids in ages'.

As J2 says, not my problem.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 22:33 - Jan 22 with 5877 views_

Sickly colleagues on 22:25 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

Don't have kids then.

I'm with J2... the amount of people who use kids as an excuse to get out of work is shocking. Those of us who don't have kids have no convenient get out clause and are thus forced to work late because we don't have their commitments.

If you have kids, surely there's another half that can deal with them. I have other things I'd like to be doing rather than working late but unfortunately they aren't deemed good enough compared with 'I haven't seen my kids in ages'.

Sickly colleagues on 22:37 - Jan 22 with 5873 viewsipswich78

Sickly colleagues on 22:25 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

Don't have kids then.

Have you heard of these things called single parent families? They’re quite common. I would imagine having these problems isn’t part of the plan when trying for a child. Much like bad career choices, or being stuck in a job you don’t like...

I do see your point though, and as with anybody there is good and bad parents. Good and bad parenting situations. We all have challenges outside of work. Some are obvious. Other times they are not.

People find it easy to moan, blame others and move the fault away from themselves though, instead of looking at others - aim to improve your own situation.

Sickly colleagues on 22:44 - Jan 22 with 5863 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 22:33 - Jan 22 by _

Absolutely. That's shocking. The nerve of that woman thinking she has special privileges just for opening her legs. Unbelievable arrogance. I've seen similar with such arrogance, but not quite to that extreme.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 22:47 - Jan 22 with 5850 views_

Sickly colleagues on 22:44 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

Absolutely. That's shocking. The nerve of that woman thinking she has special privileges just for opening her legs. Unbelievable arrogance. I've seen similar with such arrogance, but not quite to that extreme.

Sickly colleagues on 22:57 - Jan 22 with 5842 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sickly colleagues on 22:37 - Jan 22 by ipswich78

Have you heard of these things called single parent families? They’re quite common. I would imagine having these problems isn’t part of the plan when trying for a child. Much like bad career choices, or being stuck in a job you don’t like...

I do see your point though, and as with anybody there is good and bad parents. Good and bad parenting situations. We all have challenges outside of work. Some are obvious. Other times they are not.

People find it easy to moan, blame others and move the fault away from themselves though, instead of looking at others - aim to improve your own situation.

Yeah I appreciate people can get stuck in an awkward situation, but as J2 says "not my problem". You choose to have kids, frankly it's your lookout. Why should the rest of us have to suffer?

If you need to be at a West End play, at a football match, or home to be with your kids, I don't see why the latter is more important than the other things. If someone chooses to not bring kids into this world, and therefore does other things with their spare time, why are they seen as a lesser person and someone who should more readily give up that free time? It's like having kids is some kind of virtue, to some.

Sickly colleagues on 23:06 - Jan 22 with 5827 viewsipswich78

Sickly colleagues on 22:57 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah I appreciate people can get stuck in an awkward situation, but as J2 says "not my problem". You choose to have kids, frankly it's your lookout. Why should the rest of us have to suffer?

If you need to be at a West End play, at a football match, or home to be with your kids, I don't see why the latter is more important than the other things. If someone chooses to not bring kids into this world, and therefore does other things with their spare time, why are they seen as a lesser person and someone who should more readily give up that free time? It's like having kids is some kind of virtue, to some.

"If someone chooses to not bring kids into this world, and therefore does other things with their spare time, why are they seen as a lesser person and someone who should more readily give up that free time? "

You're right, they shouldn't be seen as a lesser person and I genuinely believe in most cases they're not. Sometimes a little empathy is required both ways. I've seen colleagues in my team help each other out. But sometimes, people are just looking to find fault and don't want to help others.

You're right things should be fair, but they're not always. If you don't like the situation you're in do something about it... Don't just keep moaning.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 23:14]

Sickly colleagues on 23:08 - Jan 22 with 5825 viewsRyorry

Time off to care for other dependants such as elderly parents is now legislated for. And no-one can foresee genuine emergencies, accidents etc.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1362

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sickly colleagues on 23:14 - Jan 22 with 5815 viewsSwailsey

Sickly colleagues on 14:27 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Got an interview on Feb 2nd for a job i'm not crazy about but had a bit of a moment earlier where I thought nothing about my life is working at the moment and I need to take some chances so i'll go for it. Also applied for another job where I didn't get an interview but they've replied asking if i'd be interested in another one that I would love. Might be an automated thing so not getting too excited but I will apply.

Thanks for asking.

Chin up man.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Sickly colleagues on 10:28 - Jan 23 with 5716 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 23:06 - Jan 22 by ipswich78

"If someone chooses to not bring kids into this world, and therefore does other things with their spare time, why are they seen as a lesser person and someone who should more readily give up that free time? "

You're right, they shouldn't be seen as a lesser person and I genuinely believe in most cases they're not. Sometimes a little empathy is required both ways. I've seen colleagues in my team help each other out. But sometimes, people are just looking to find fault and don't want to help others.

You're right things should be fair, but they're not always. If you don't like the situation you're in do something about it... Don't just keep moaning.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 23:14]

I've said occasionally being let down with childcare etc is fair enough. All i'm saying, and what you seem to have an issue with, is that I want a fair deal. If we take someone on to do certain shifts and they then can't do those shifts which has a negative effect on everyone else why shouldn't I be annoyed? It's the entitlement that comes with kids that annoys me. "I have kids" isn't an excuse to get exactly what you want when you want it. Thankfully on this occasion she has been told that if she can't do the hours she'll have to find another job. Interesting that you seem to think it's for the childless people to work around them and they are the ones who should 'do something about it' if they don't like it. It's also a magic bullet for avoiding any cover which means the rest of us have to do more to compensate.

This latest one has said I can only work on these two days and can't do any weekends. She's trying it on. I don't care if you have kids or not, you need to do your share of weekends that you signed up for. She has already caused me problems with my hours. I probably work an extra 5-6 days a year thanks to her sudden inability to work certain shorter shifts meaning it takes more days to get my hours in.

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 11:19 - Jan 23 with 5683 viewsThrobbe

Sickly colleagues on 22:37 - Jan 22 by ipswich78

I understand that in some families women go out to work. Honestly, you give them the vote and it all goes downhill from there.

At least semi-seriously, are some of you genuinely saying that you should only have children if you can afford to have one partner not working in case they get ill? All sounds a bit like something TB would have come up with. Or are you proposing that child benefits should be massively increased to allow everyone to have children on a single income so there is always someone home to look after them.

By the same logic that you don’t want sick people infecting their work colleagues, the schools and childcarers don’t want sick children about the place so they get sent home. I’m not quite sure what the expectation is here. Do they place children in a quarantine area? Do you bring your sick kids into work? I’m sure some do take the pi55, but my wife and I will work from home if we can, or book the day as leave if not, but I don’t really have any control over when they’re ill.

Flexibility of holidays is a fair point, although generally speaking if I didn’t have kids I’d take holidays in term time to get lower prices and avoid other peoples children anyway.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Sickly colleagues on 11:27 - Jan 23 with 5677 viewsgiant_stow

Sickly colleagues on 11:19 - Jan 23 by Throbbe

I understand that in some families women go out to work. Honestly, you give them the vote and it all goes downhill from there.

At least semi-seriously, are some of you genuinely saying that you should only have children if you can afford to have one partner not working in case they get ill? All sounds a bit like something TB would have come up with. Or are you proposing that child benefits should be massively increased to allow everyone to have children on a single income so there is always someone home to look after them.

By the same logic that you don’t want sick people infecting their work colleagues, the schools and childcarers don’t want sick children about the place so they get sent home. I’m not quite sure what the expectation is here. Do they place children in a quarantine area? Do you bring your sick kids into work? I’m sure some do take the pi55, but my wife and I will work from home if we can, or book the day as leave if not, but I don’t really have any control over when they’re ill.

Flexibility of holidays is a fair point, although generally speaking if I didn’t have kids I’d take holidays in term time to get lower prices and avoid other peoples children anyway.

well said.

Its sad that J2's colleague seems to be taking the piss, but there seems to be some 70s throwback opinions knocking around here.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sickly colleagues on 11:52 - Jan 23 with 5659 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 11:27 - Jan 23 by giant_stow

well said.

Its sad that J2's colleague seems to be taking the piss, but there seems to be some 70s throwback opinions knocking around here.

What about smoke breaks? We can all agree on that one surely? It seems perfectly acceptable for smokers at the places i've worked to go out for a smoke every hour for 10-15 minutes.

That Japanese company who gave non smokers an extra few days off had the right idea.

Basically, people want a fair deal and not to be taken the piss out of. I would love to book time off over Christmas each year. I don't because if i'm not in someone else has to be so they'd have to work more over Christmas and that's unfair to me. That's all I want. Fairness for all.

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 11:57 - Jan 23 with 5651 viewsgiant_stow

Sickly colleagues on 11:52 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

What about smoke breaks? We can all agree on that one surely? It seems perfectly acceptable for smokers at the places i've worked to go out for a smoke every hour for 10-15 minutes.

That Japanese company who gave non smokers an extra few days off had the right idea.

Basically, people want a fair deal and not to be taken the piss out of. I would love to book time off over Christmas each year. I don't because if i'm not in someone else has to be so they'd have to work more over Christmas and that's unfair to me. That's all I want. Fairness for all.

Sounds like you're amost being too selfless with that Christmas thing.

I guess the real villan in this is the employer who won't provide enough cover.

Fag breaks? Yeah fair enough.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sickly colleagues on 12:19 - Jan 23 with 5627 viewssolemio

Sickly colleagues on 20:43 - Jan 22 by brogansnose

When the boy started going to school Madam B and myself were almost perpetually stricken with colds.

Kids, they're bloody lurgey carriers.

This works both ways. I have a friend (now retired) who was a Junior School teacher. He was inordinately proud that he had never missed a day's work in his entire career.

The downsides were that his classes invariably seemed to have the highest absence rates, despite the undoubted fact that the children were very happy in his class, and obviously he passed on bugs to his teaching colleagues.

I was almost pleased when in his final year before retirement he felt so unwell that he had to take 8 working days off!
Sickly colleagues on 12:26 - Jan 23 with 5616 viewsThrobbe

Sickly colleagues on 11:52 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

Yeah, I'm totally with you on fag breaks. As a bit of a TWTD posterboy for mental health issues I actually see getting the odd 10 minutes away from your desk to destress as quite a good thing, but I'd expect it to apply to everyone equally, and anyone actually losing 1-2hours a day in fag breaks would need to be making up the time elsewhere or finding a new job.

That said, I'd be more than happy to be judged purely on results rather than time spent at my desk, but that's hard to apply to most work environments.

I assume we all agree that posting on TWTD in work time is entirely acceptable though.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024