Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 21:19 - Feb 24 with 3406 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The good away win embellished by the rare moments of brilliance which we hardly see nowadays. By saying rare moments I mean the kind of performance that was produced by Carayol today.

Glorious opportunity missed by him in the 10 min as one of one was saved by Rudd and the follow-up went wide. He ought to have scored. The ilk of the chance where you stand in disbelief and keep your head in hands. All that opportunity came from a very quick-counter attack as most of the players was camped near or inside our box. 

He made amends though 10 mins later when he was quicker to the ball than Preston's full-back and then went on went and scored into the far post. All that opportunity began from the Skuse's pass.

Yet another really outstanding moment from Carayol in 30 mins when he beat two or three Preston players, played the pass towards Waghorn whose shot was blocked by the Preston defender. All that set-up and opportunity takes you off your seat and we don't have a chance to watch moments like that too often nowadays. I'd say we're starved of that in the current era.

5 mins later Iorfa hit the bar from the tight angle albeit the close range. Soon after Skuse's strong shot from 25 yards grabbed by Rudd. 

Many tasty moments from us and really surprised with that kind of performance. Anti-McCarthy's performance in all honesty as we rarely see such an attacking one. Alex Neil was forced to make a double tactical substitution that's testament to how good we were. 

Preston in the first half? Some slick passing at times but with no end product. Series of corners with which we dealt well in general bar couple of moments where their players were left unmarked.  

Ought to have been at least 2 if not 3-0 at half time and Preston team and fans couldn't have complained. 

Hyam replaced not fully fit Carayol before the 2nd half started and it was quite disappointing at the time as we lost our biggest star of the day and main goal threat. 
Second half in a nutshell? We did shut the shop and successfully made Preston look average. I admit that if we hadn't won the match I would have been very upset with that switch. I would have been asking: 'why Hyam, why not Celina?'. But all of that has been overshadowed by the final result and it's 3 points that matters most. 

Not surprisingly (because of the change we made) we never troubled Rudd in the 2nd half as our main focus was on making life difficult for the opposition and we did so. They were completely unable to break our rigid defensive line. Bialkowski had about 3 saves to make but he was comfortable with it. Preston forwards restricted themselves to a few long shots. Two of them went ridiculously high and miles of our goal.

Carter-Vickers in particular was very impressive with job we were doing in the 2nd half. I think he won vast majority of headers if not all of them. 

Watching Preston today made me wonder how they had been so good of late. Very good last week against Wolves, very dominant against Villa on Tuesday. Their new striker Lewis Moult may have been a star in SPL for Motherwell but today completely anonymous as our central backs kept him quiet. 

Our MOTM? I'd say two of them. Skuse and obviously Carayol for the moments he gave us today. Yes I said Skuse as it's been best from him I've seen from the Wolves away 0-0 draw last season (that one in which we had Murphy's goal disallowed). Not only the pass that led to Carayol's goal. Nice double dribbling in the first half, very assured in the middle, couple of really good interceptions and a calming influence. The credit and praise is certainly due in his case today.

Carayol. His ongoing problem was the consistency. Can be electric on his day (like he was today despite the illness) or completely anonymous and the latter is probably the reason why Nottingham let him go. Wonder what we could get from him and Celina together on both wings if both are in-form. Personally nothing excites me more in football than quick winger beating defenders and causing havoc among an opposition. That's been the case with Carayol today. Really delighted with his show. 

As mentioned above Carter-Vickers very good too. Very good loan spell and what a replacement for Smith. 

Iorfa probably better than ever with his positioning too. 

What is particularly worth noticing that Preston wouldn't have a real single opportunity to score and that's a very pleasing aspect from today. 

3 points that don't make any change when it comes to the general situation but undoubtedly a massive thing following such turbulent week. 
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 21:21]
Match thoughts on 21:30 - Feb 24 with 3328 viewsCoastalblue

Thanks for that. seems an honest opinion from someone willing to accept that sometimes things come right from those we don't necessarily want longer term.
I think Skuse has had a good week to be honest if he did well today. Close to MOM for us midweek I thought.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Match thoughts on 21:37 - Feb 24 with 3303 viewsDyland

Match thoughts on 21:30 - Feb 24 by Coastalblue

Thanks for that. seems an honest opinion from someone willing to accept that sometimes things come right from those we don't necessarily want longer term.
I think Skuse has had a good week to be honest if he did well today. Close to MOM for us midweek I thought.

Fair enough but you'll notice not a single note of praise for the manager when we win, as opposed to vitriol and sarcasm aimed that way when we don't win.

It's facking tedious to be honest.

And that's from someone who 100% wants a different manager and approach from my club.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Match thoughts on 21:40 - Feb 24 with 3273 viewsBrixtonBlue

Match thoughts on 21:37 - Feb 24 by Dyland

Fair enough but you'll notice not a single note of praise for the manager when we win, as opposed to vitriol and sarcasm aimed that way when we don't win.

And that's from someone who 100% wants a different manager and approach from my club.

It's clear that he's seen people have been debating what his match report would be like and has worded it carefully... but as you say, no praise for the manager. This is against a team that had lost 1 of the last 17 before today. All praise should go to Mick, surely?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Match thoughts on 21:47 - Feb 24 with 3251 viewsDyland

Match thoughts on 21:40 - Feb 24 by BrixtonBlue

It's clear that he's seen people have been debating what his match report would be like and has worded it carefully... but as you say, no praise for the manager. This is against a team that had lost 1 of the last 17 before today. All praise should go to Mick, surely?

No, I've tried to give Machers the benefit of the doubt but I'm done with it. Life's too short. He just hates McCarthy and his analysis is as boringly blinkered as the super Mick brigade (not that I see ANY super Mick people anyway to be honest).

Match thoughts on 21:48 - Feb 24 with 3236 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts on 21:47 - Feb 24 by Dyland

No, I've tried to give Machers the benefit of the doubt but I'm done with it. Life's too short. He just hates McCarthy and his analysis is as boringly blinkered as the super Mick brigade (not that I see ANY super Mick people anyway to be honest).

What about me ffs?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 21:55 - Feb 24 with 3206 viewsDyland

Match thoughts on 21:48 - Feb 24 by Bluefish

What about me ffs?

You're equally a massive div.

Match thoughts on 22:00 - Feb 24 with 3170 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts on 21:55 - Feb 24 by Dyland

You're equally a massive div.

F***ing handsome though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 22:02 - Feb 24 with 3171 viewstextbackup

they had a real chance with that free header in first half (only seen it on the highlights tho, maybe wasn't clear cut)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 22:03 - Feb 24 with 3148 viewsDyland

Match thoughts on 22:00 - Feb 24 by Bluefish

F***ing handsome though

you look like a drowning fish you bell x

Match thoughts on 23:08 - Feb 24 with 3042 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 21:47 - Feb 24 by Dyland

Dyland if my analysis/reports are boringly blinkered and if it upsets you then don't click on it anymore. Simple. Yes I really can't stand McCarthy and the fact that he'll probably remain the manager of my club for further 2 years. But let's not talk about him here as it'd be a long essay from me.

I'm happy to give players/manager the credit they deserve. Look I have praised Skuse today and I've never been his fan as he's vastly overrated in my opinion. But he deserved a special mention today.
Match thoughts on 23:17 - Feb 24 with 3009 viewsDarth_Koont

Match thoughts on 23:08 - Feb 24 by Mach_foreignBlue

Dyland if my analysis/reports are boringly blinkered and if it upsets you then don't click on it anymore. Simple. Yes I really can't stand McCarthy and the fact that he'll probably remain the manager of my club for further 2 years. But let's not talk about him here as it'd be a long essay from me.

I'm happy to give players/manager the credit they deserve. Look I have praised Skuse today and I've never been his fan as he's vastly overrated in my opinion. But he deserved a special mention today.

If Carayol had missed his chance and Preston had scored first, I'd love to have seen how that match report would have looked ...

Personally, I thought today was a very typical performance for this season (lots of battling positives but still some quality issues in our build up play) but we've lucked out with Carayol and his direct style of play.

Pronouns: He/Him

Match thoughts on 23:31 - Feb 24 with 2964 viewsDyland

It doesn't upset me matey. Just worth calling you out on your ridiculous bias against the manager. As we've discussed countless times, it's possible to criticise the bloke and want a change but also give credit. Not for you, clearly. Not sure why you can't stand him so much tbh.

Match thoughts on 04:03 - Feb 25 with 2759 viewsBenters2

Lovely stuff Mach.
Match thoughts on 06:01 - Feb 25 with 2704 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 21:37 - Feb 24 by Dyland

Grumpy!
Match thoughts on 06:46 - Feb 25 with 2689 viewsPendejo

So pleased you North West boys got a win today.

Enjoyed the report... who wrote it for you? Mullet? Woah! Only kidding there Mach, you know your English is better than my Spanish... and I've never attempted Polish.

COYB

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Match thoughts on 12:59 - Feb 25 with 2456 viewsnshearman1

Match thoughts on 04:03 - Feb 25 by Benters2

Lovely stuff Mach.

Can't believe people are spending time on here intensely analysing Mach's reports.
Match thoughts on 13:03 - Feb 25 with 2451 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 12:59 - Feb 25 by nshearman1

Can't believe people are spending time on here intensely analysing Mach's reports.

I cant believe so many people had a pop at him last night,but there you go.
Match thoughts on 13:38 - Feb 25 with 2399 viewsTownly

Match thoughts on 13:03 - Feb 25 by Benters2

I cant believe so many people had a pop at him last night,but there you go.

He attacks the person rather than the argument.
Match thoughts on 13:51 - Feb 25 with 2381 viewsArcher4721

I really hate it when people say "my club."

It isn't your club it's our club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024