Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed 07:29 - Apr 6 with 6655 viewsZondervansTash

Surely this guy ticks all the boxes and it would be so exciting for a change! Plays good football, works well on a budget, promotes kids who are good enough and we have plenty of them coming through, has unearthed a few cheap gems and it sounds like he’d love the opportunity too. Could be so much fun with good football, seeing Downes, Dozzell etc all getting game time over old has been loanees, a few new unknown foreign players coming in for peanuts but turning out to be excellent etc. We’d all get behind him and have that excitement and feel good factor back. Make it happen ME and don’t go for some old obvious option like Pardew!

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/vvv-venlo-boss-maurice-steijn-on-ipswich-town-links-
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 7:30]
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 07:51 - Apr 6 with 4653 viewsHerbivore

Whilst he ticks a lot of boxes and would be an interesting appointment I'm not sure it's fair to say he plays good football. Aren't VVV basically just very hard to beat? They're what Stoke were under Pulis. I'm not sure he's a better candidate than Mowbray so I'm not going to be calling for him to be appointed but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about it either, he works well on a budget and seems able to implement a strategy and that's a real plus. I'd prefer him to the likes of Pardew that's for sure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 07:57 - Apr 6 with 4620 viewsZondervansTash

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 07:51 - Apr 6 by Herbivore

Whilst he ticks a lot of boxes and would be an interesting appointment I'm not sure it's fair to say he plays good football. Aren't VVV basically just very hard to beat? They're what Stoke were under Pulis. I'm not sure he's a better candidate than Mowbray so I'm not going to be calling for him to be appointed but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about it either, he works well on a budget and seems able to implement a strategy and that's a real plus. I'd prefer him to the likes of Pardew that's for sure.

To be honest, I don’t know much about the style of football he plays but it can’t be any worse than what we have been subjected to under MM! He’d also play the kids in the academy and more than anything it would be exciting and different. A slight risk admittedly but surely more exciting than most names being mentioned. Going to do some research on the style of football he plays.
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:03 - Apr 6 with 4593 viewsDanTheMan

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 07:57 - Apr 6 by ZondervansTash

To be honest, I don’t know much about the style of football he plays but it can’t be any worse than what we have been subjected to under MM! He’d also play the kids in the academy and more than anything it would be exciting and different. A slight risk admittedly but surely more exciting than most names being mentioned. Going to do some research on the style of football he plays.

"To be honest, I don’t know much about the style of football he plays but it can’t be any worse than what we have been subjected to under MM"

Why?

I do get the appeal of a Dutch manager coming in, all very exciting and different. But that shouldn't really be why we're hiring a manager.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 8:04]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:06 - Apr 6 with 4569 viewsHerbivore

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 07:57 - Apr 6 by ZondervansTash

So why did you say he plays good football in your OP? VVV have 7 wins this season and 13 draws, they've scored 31 goals in 29 games. They may have achieved so many draws and so few goals by playing free flowing attacking football but it seems somewhat unlikely.

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:14 - Apr 6 with 4518 viewsitfcjoe

I just can't see an appointment without Championship experience.

He seems an interesting candidate, and I wouldn't be adverse to him getting it - just worry that with no footballing structure around him off the pitch and no experience of the English game it could be a disaster as he's not given a fair crack to succeed by the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:15 - Apr 6 with 4507 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:06 - Apr 6 by Herbivore

So why did you say he plays good football in your OP? VVV have 7 wins this season and 13 draws, they've scored 31 goals in 29 games. They may have achieved so many draws and so few goals by playing free flowing attacking football but it seems somewhat unlikely.

This is pretty free flowing, attractive, counter attacking football. But defensively........

I'm not sure how many 2-3 loses I could cope with.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:17 - Apr 6 with 4485 viewsZondervansTash

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:06 - Apr 6 by Herbivore

I assumed he played good, attractive football but maybe I’m wrong. Regardless, most of what is written in that article about him make him a good fit - works on a tight budget, promotes from the academy, an eye for a cheap, good player... If his football is that bad I find it odd that he is wanted by a handful of top tier Dutch clubs.
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:19 - Apr 6 with 4468 viewsHerbivore

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:15 - Apr 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

This is pretty free flowing, attractive, counter attacking football. But defensively........

I'm not sure how many 2-3 loses I could cope with.

Is one game a better sample than 29?

Login to get fewer ads

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:20 - Apr 6 with 4465 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I bet there were similar messages on the Crystal Palace forum when Frank De Boer was appointed

;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:20 - Apr 6 with 4461 viewsZondervansTash

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:03 - Apr 6 by DanTheMan

"To be honest, I don’t know much about the style of football he plays but it can’t be any worse than what we have been subjected to under MM"

Why?

I do get the appeal of a Dutch manager coming in, all very exciting and different. But that shouldn't really be why we're hiring a manager.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 8:04]

Why?! The football under MM has been in the main terrible to watch for the last couple of seasons. That is why?! From what I have read and heard about him I feel we would be more entertained even if it is not much more Jan watching more of our own academy products featuring more regularly. He has proven himself and ticks a lot of the boxes. Out of interest, who would you want then and why?
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:22 - Apr 6 with 4447 viewsReuser_is_God

Based on one article the fans should call for a manager they know little about?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:25 - Apr 6 with 4443 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:14 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

I just can't see an appointment without Championship experience.

He seems an interesting candidate, and I wouldn't be adverse to him getting it - just worry that with no footballing structure around him off the pitch and no experience of the English game it could be a disaster as he's not given a fair crack to succeed by the club

I think the 'Championship Experience' argument is rubbish.

We've gone down the promotion experience route with disastrous results. Why is Championship experience so important? That limits the pool to choose from and probably leaves us with the dregs.

Our best manager of the last 30 years..... zero experience in 'Championship' football.

Our neighbours..... Lambert and Neill didnt do too badly.

How much Championship experience did Wagner have at Huddersfield?

The requirement for Championship experience will really limit the pool. I'm not saying a new manager shouldnt have Champ experience, but it shouldnt be a pre-requisite.

What do they say about insanity..... doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 8:27]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:25 - Apr 6 with 4418 viewsartsbossbeard

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:22 - Apr 6 by Reuser_is_God

* stops work on banner puts bedsheet back on bed*

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:28 - Apr 6 with 4391 viewsHerbivore

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:17 - Apr 6 by ZondervansTash

I assumed he played good, attractive football but maybe I’m wrong. Regardless, most of what is written in that article about him make him a good fit - works on a tight budget, promotes from the academy, an eye for a cheap, good player... If his football is that bad I find it odd that he is wanted by a handful of top tier Dutch clubs.

Sounds a lot like Mick.

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:28 - Apr 6 with 4394 viewsZondervansTash

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:22 - Apr 6 by Reuser_is_God

Not based on one article and it’s about personal preference, other articles, listening to people I know who know a lot more about football than most us. Other than Mowbray and perhaps Warburtonnall the other names being mentioned are obvious and not very exciting in my opinion. Sometimes taking an educated gamble and trying something new is worthwhile. Who would you like to see in then and why?
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:29 - Apr 6 with 4389 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

OP - “Plays good football”

Follow up post - “To be honest, I don’t know much about the style of football he plays”

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:31 - Apr 6 with 4366 viewsReuser_is_God

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:28 - Apr 6 by ZondervansTash

Not based on one article and it’s about personal preference, other articles, listening to people I know who know a lot more about football than most us. Other than Mowbray and perhaps Warburtonnall the other names being mentioned are obvious and not very exciting in my opinion. Sometimes taking an educated gamble and trying something new is worthwhile. Who would you like to see in then and why?

Mowbray.

Plays good football & the fans would get behind him.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:32 - Apr 6 with 4355 viewsZondervansTash

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:29 - Apr 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Follow up post - “To be honest, I don’t know much about the style of football he plays”

Ok, so I assumed he played better football than what we have been subjected to lately. I corrected myself and was trying to make a point and talk about someone I thought would be a good albeit slightly risky appointment. Rather than trying to look for an argument and trying to be clever I’d be intrigued to get your view on who you think we should appoint and why?
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:36 - Apr 6 with 4337 viewsartsbossbeard

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:32 - Apr 6 by ZondervansTash

Ok, so I assumed he played better football than what we have been subjected to lately. I corrected myself and was trying to make a point and talk about someone I thought would be a good albeit slightly risky appointment. Rather than trying to look for an argument and trying to be clever I’d be intrigued to get your view on who you think we should appoint and why?

But you've just asked the whole board here to get behind him being appointed based on, well frankly, nothing.

Phil Brown, obvs.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:37 - Apr 6 with 4327 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:36 - Apr 6 by artsbossbeard

But you've just asked the whole board here to get behind him being appointed based on, well frankly, nothing.

Phil Brown, obvs.

I love your avatar.

What was he thinking?

I'm assuming he had returned from a two week holiday in the Mediterranean that same day.

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:37 - Apr 6 with 4325 viewsZondervansTash

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:31 - Apr 6 by Reuser_is_God

Mowbray.

Plays good football & the fans would get behind him.

Would be more than happy with that too.
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:38 - Apr 6 with 4325 viewsartsbossbeard

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:37 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

I love your avatar.

What was he thinking?

I'm assuming he had returned from a two week holiday in the Mediterranean that same day.

He just makes me giggle when I look at him for some reason.

The blokes a loon, a headset wearing loon.

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:39 - Apr 6 with 4312 viewscharlie1

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:29 - Apr 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Followed by “Not based on one article and it’s about personal preference, other articles, listening to people I know who know a lot more about football than most us.”

Those people who know a lot about football haven’t told you about the style of football he plays then?

I’m confused.
Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:40 - Apr 6 with 4310 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:38 - Apr 6 by artsbossbeard

He just makes me giggle when I look at him for some reason.

The blokes a loon, a headset wearing loon.

Somehow I cant dislike him though.

Maurice Steijn - after the EADT article let’s all call for him to be appointed on 08:41 - Apr 6 with 4294 viewsDanFord

Why judge them on their Eredivisie record? They are one of the smallest teams. When they got promoted they weren’t the biggest team in the Erstedivisiebut scored plenty. I’d be happy if Mick played this way in the Premier League as it’s understandable but Steijn will have had the smallest budget in the division this year so has to achieve results by necessary means while Mick should be aiming for more than that when the top six is our target each season.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024