Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? 11:17 - Apr 24 with 10858 viewsRyorry

And away from the dreadful, unworkable, user un-friendly 'beta' version that seems to have been forced on us this morning?

The old 'option' to switch to classic is no longer visible in any menu on this new version :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 11:25 - Apr 24 with 10839 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the update they did 6 months ago which tries to filter emails into 'Focused' and 'Other' often with very little logic

The new 'Beta' version is optional on mine (top right of the page) and having looked at it I can agree that it is absolutely horrendous and switched back as soon as I could in the hope that it never reverts to it on it's own steam
Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 11:27 - Apr 24 with 10835 viewsSpruceMoose

Ah Hotmail. The 'Thread' view of the email world. I can't help, but hope you solve it soon!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 11:41 - Apr 24 with 10814 viewsBurwell_Blue

Hotmail? Is it 1995?
Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 11:43 - Apr 24 with 10809 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't know exactly without looking at it but if you click your profile and go into options you should be able to change it. I turned off the hideous 'focused' and 'other' dividers which infuriated me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 12:52 - Apr 24 with 10765 viewsPendejo

While you techies are guffawing and sniggering at us folks with ID10T problems... Outlook 365, bag o'shoite innit!

We've moved from classic outlook to 365 and I hate it. I don't mind change but I can not get to the tried and tested features I used to be able to use [corporate footer, out of office reply etc.] those that install and do the training are too busy.

When idle have gone thru settings and am none the wiser. When searching out box it searches items with attachments only!!! Weird stuff.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 13:09 - Apr 24 with 10743 viewsRyorry

Thanks guys. Before reading your replies, I had a support call booked with a supposed "assistant" from them for 12.30, which went as follows -

A - How can I help you?
R - I want to change back to old hotmail (classic version) as I hate the beta version which you've forced on me this morning
A - I don't understand, please explain
R - I want to change back to old hotmail (classic version) as I hate the beta version which you've forced on me this morning
A - I don't understand, what do you mean by old version?
R - hotmail classic
A - I don't understand
R - Can I speak to a supervisor please
A - I'll look for one. What is your question please?
R - I want to revert to the old-style hotmail
A - "your question is too broad" - and she put the phone down!! (tbf, I had raised my voice by that time, but not been abusive or used any 'language'!)

Anyway I opened up the help/complaint window to send a message - whereupon the whole thing jumped back to the old (classic) version! Couldn't make it up!

Sent the email anyway, it goes to an engineer. That option for seeking help wasn't shown first time round. They're really such a bad advertisement for themselves. Now the old version's back, I can see a slider top right with "try beta" option - but a counterpart "revert to classic" isn't given once you're in beta.

Burwell - I stay with them because I have been for 18 or so years, everyone knows my email which is short & simple, and my archive is stuffed full of a lot of old and very sentimental stuff.

It's also good in showing all senders' email addresses if you choose to 'block', then if they look really iffy, you can report them as phishing & they get removed straight to the hotmail team for investigation.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:18 - Apr 24 with 10692 viewsMJallday

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 13:09 - Apr 24 by Ryorry

Thanks guys. Before reading your replies, I had a support call booked with a supposed "assistant" from them for 12.30, which went as follows -

A - How can I help you?
A - I don't understand, please explain
A - I don't understand, what do you mean by old version?
R - hotmail classic
A - I don't understand
R - Can I speak to a supervisor please
A - I'll look for one. What is your question please?
R - I want to revert to the old-style hotmail
A - "your question is too broad" - and she put the phone down!! (tbf, I had raised my voice by that time, but not been abusive or used any 'language'!)

Anyway I opened up the help/complaint window to send a message - whereupon the whole thing jumped back to the old (classic) version! Couldn't make it up!

Sent the email anyway, it goes to an engineer. That option for seeking help wasn't shown first time round. They're really such a bad advertisement for themselves. Now the old version's back, I can see a slider top right with "try beta" option - but a counterpart "revert to classic" isn't given once you're in beta.

Burwell - I stay with them because I have been for 18 or so years, everyone knows my email which is short & simple, and my archive is stuffed full of a lot of old and very sentimental stuff.

It's also good in showing all senders' email addresses if you choose to 'block', then if they look really iffy, you can report them as phishing & they get removed straight to the hotmail team for investigation.

ok. so you cant go back to hotmail classic as you knew it . they retired that a couple years ago

you can hide the focused/other as above.

what some people do is use a gmail address (which is a bit more hotmail-y of old looking) then do a forward of all email from hotmail to gmail

hope that helps

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:19 - Apr 24 with 10691 viewsIllinoisblue

it is rubbish they way they determine "featured" emails and "other" emails. It's generally a bad UX. But... I'm too lazy to open a Gmail account.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:24 - Apr 24 with 10679 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:18 - Apr 24 by MJallday

ok. so you cant go back to hotmail classic as you knew it . they retired that a couple years ago

you can hide the focused/other as above.

what some people do is use a gmail address (which is a bit more hotmail-y of old looking) then do a forward of all email from hotmail to gmail

hope that helps

Or import into Outlook as a separate inbox, if you use Outlook for work like I do (or a daft enough to have paid for it at home). That way you can still send replies from your hotmail address.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:27 - Apr 24 with 10677 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can't help Ryorry, sorry. I can still switch to Beta and back again via that slider button on the top right of the page, even if I come out of it and go back in again.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:40 - Apr 24 with 10668 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:27 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

Can't help Ryorry, sorry. I can still switch to Beta and back again via that slider button on the top right of the page, even if I come out of it and go back in again.

Hi Swansea - that'd be good if the slider button actually displays on Beta, but I can't see it anywhere, nor any other options menu that contains it?

Get MJ's point about Classic, but I did actually manage to get something very much like it back by accident as I said.

Don't understand this bit -

"Or import into Outlook as a separate inbox, if you use Outlook for work like I do (or a daft enough to have paid for it at home). That way you can still send replies from your hotmail address."

I'd never pay for it btw! only have freebie version.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:43 - Apr 24 with 10656 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:40 - Apr 24 by Ryorry

Hi Swansea - that'd be good if the slider button actually displays on Beta, but I can't see it anywhere, nor any other options menu that contains it?

Get MJ's point about Classic, but I did actually manage to get something very much like it back by accident as I said.

"Or import into Outlook as a separate inbox, if you use Outlook for work like I do (or a daft enough to have paid for it at home). That way you can still send replies from your hotmail address."

One thing you could do is download Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a free alternative to Outlook.

Truly impaired.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:44 - Apr 24 with 10656 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:43 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

One thing you could do is download Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a free alternative to Outlook.

Firefox related?

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:45 - Apr 24 with 10651 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:44 - Apr 24 by Ryorry

Firefox related?

Same company but it's a standalone application.

Truly impaired.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:47 - Apr 24 with 10649 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:45 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

Same company but it's a standalone application.

Just reading (at first glance very good) reviews on it now, cheers.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:50 - Apr 24 with 10640 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Buy Outlook.

I’m sure there’s probably a decent free one around too, maybe OpenOffice?
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 14:51]
Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:59 - Apr 24 with 10617 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:40 - Apr 24 by Ryorry

If you have MS Outlook you can add your Hotmail account to it through Tools>Accounts. You just need to set it up with your hotmail address and password, and then it syncs and displays all your hotmail messages in Outlook. (You may be able to do the same thing with these other packages people have since recommended - not sure).

Weird about the Beta button, as it shows up on my Beta version. I can backwards and forwards between beta and non-beta.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 15:20 - Apr 24 with 10595 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 14:59 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

If you have MS Outlook you can add your Hotmail account to it through Tools>Accounts. You just need to set it up with your hotmail address and password, and then it syncs and displays all your hotmail messages in Outlook. (You may be able to do the same thing with these other packages people have since recommended - not sure).

Weird about the Beta button, as it shows up on my Beta version. I can backwards and forwards between beta and non-beta.

Thanks for your help Swansea - I do have Outlook, but blowed if I can find tools on it anywhere, and the only options under account seems to be for things like "devices" "billing" and "subscriptions"!
Just seems to be spectacularly user-unfriendly!

I've tried c&p-ing the address of my "old" version into browser bar to see if I can replicate it, but doesn't work, just keeps bringing up the beta version.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 15:29 - Apr 24 with 10587 viewsSpruceMoose

Having had a think about it, I think I have an old copy of Hotmail on a floppy disc somewhere. If you want to wire me $15.99 + VAT I'll send it your way.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 17:14 - Apr 24 with 10516 viewsBurwell_Blue

Just buy a domain name that is relevant to you and forward it to the email provider of your choice, then when 20yrs go past and no one uses Hotmail anymore, you can simply point it to Gmail or similar.
Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 17:24 - Apr 24 with 10502 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 17:14 - Apr 24 by Burwell_Blue

Just buy a domain name that is relevant to you and forward it to the email provider of your choice, then when 20yrs go past and no one uses Hotmail anymore, you can simply point it to Gmail or similar.

The name's just semantics - whether it's called hotmail or outlook, there've been literally millions of people all over the help forums between 2016 & March 2018 saying they want to go back to classic, or the old style. I haven't yet seen one single positive comment for Beta in amongst the thousands of negatives.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 19:44 - Apr 24 with 10456 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 15:20 - Apr 24 by Ryorry

Thanks for your help Swansea - I do have Outlook, but blowed if I can find tools on it anywhere, and the only options under account seems to be for things like "devices" "billing" and "subscriptions"!
Just seems to be spectacularly user-unfriendly!

I've tried c&p-ing the address of my "old" version into browser bar to see if I can replicate it, but doesn't work, just keeps bringing up the beta version.

Sorry, I’m on a Mac so that probably won’t have made any sense .

Try Googling ‘setting up hotmail on Outlook [your version]’. I’ve done it in the past and it’s well worth it if you don’t like Hotmail’s interface. Your Hotmail emails will appear as a new inbox in Outlook, it keeps all your folders, and you operate it completely from Outlook without ever having to go to Hotmail on a browser.

There may be better options out there for people who understand this stuff better than i do, but if you have Outlook and use it already, and like it, it’s the obvious thing to do.

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 19:52 - Apr 24 with 10448 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 19:44 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry, I’m on a Mac so that probably won’t have made any sense .

Try Googling ‘setting up hotmail on Outlook [your version]’. I’ve done it in the past and it’s well worth it if you don’t like Hotmail’s interface. Your Hotmail emails will appear as a new inbox in Outlook, it keeps all your folders, and you operate it completely from Outlook without ever having to go to Hotmail on a browser.

There may be better options out there for people who understand this stuff better than i do, but if you have Outlook and use it already, and like it, it’s the obvious thing to do.

Haha, I too am on a Mac & it still didnt make any sense!

Guess what, left it alone for a few hours with the Mac on 'sleep', and when I went back it had reverted to the Beta version again, doh! But - I now have this trick nailed - if you go through the 'contact us - send email' process, clicking on 'send email' automatically takes me back to the old version!!!

Also came across this from another fed-up customer on one of the complaints forums, and may therefore go with J2's suggestion to save all the tedious switching back & forth -

"FYI: MS is still allowing Outlook.com accounts to be accessed via IMAP, so you can use it in Thunderbird. If you only use the account on one or 2 computers, and you have control over which software is on them, it`s not a total disaster."

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 21:07 - Apr 24 with 10407 viewsBurwell_Blue

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 17:24 - Apr 24 by Ryorry

The name's just semantics - whether it's called hotmail or outlook, there've been literally millions of people all over the help forums between 2016 & March 2018 saying they want to go back to classic, or the old style. I haven't yet seen one single positive comment for Beta in amongst the thousands of negatives.

No it’s not.

Trusting your email, photos or documents to one provider that could be a)hacked b)shut up shop or c)start charging is mind boggling in 2018

Takes no technical knowledge or large capital outlay to run your own mail and store all precious pictures etc on a server at home.
Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 21:25 - Apr 24 with 10390 viewsRyorry

Anyone know how to get back to hotmail classic version please? on 21:07 - Apr 24 by Burwell_Blue

No it’s not.

Trusting your email, photos or documents to one provider that could be a)hacked b)shut up shop or c)start charging is mind boggling in 2018

Takes no technical knowledge or large capital outlay to run your own mail and store all precious pictures etc on a server at home.

I don't!

All my photos & docs are on my laptop & backed up.

I do have gmail as well which is more recent & I don't use as much, but good point about copying all those precious old emails to somewhere else as well I guess, so thanks :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024