Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? 18:05 - May 19 with 6975 viewschristiand

Another drab affair, appreciate these finals don’t always deliver, but when was the last entertaining FA Cup final in your opinion?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 10:33 - May 20 with 1715 viewsGarv

2015Arsenal4-0Aston Villa
2014Arsenal3-2Hull City
2013Man City0-1Wigan Athletic
2012Chelsea2-1Liverpool
2011Manchester City1-0Stoke City
2010Chelsea1-0Portsmouth
2009Chelsea2-1Everton
2008Portsmouth1-0Cardiff City
2007Chelsea1aet0Manchester United
FINALS AT THE MILLENNIUM STADIUM (CARDIFF):
2006Liverpool3aet3West Ham United[FT: 0 - 0 Liverpool won 3-1 on penalties]
2005Arsenal0aet0Manchester United[FT: 0 - 0 Arsenal won 5-4 on penalties]
2004Manchester United3-0Millwall
2003Arsenal1-0Southampton
2002Arsenal2-0Chelsea
2001Liverpool2-1Arsenal
FINALS AT WEMBLEY (LONDON):
2000Chelsea1-0Aston Villa

Random website these are plucked from are lacking the two recent ones. Also due to my age I've not bothered going any further back!

One of my favourites was the Owen final 2001. What a game that was. 2006 has to be the best of that bunch though.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 10:40 - May 20 with 1702 viewsjaykay

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 22:42 - May 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

The rule used to be that the keeper can pick up the ball from a pass back … but I am sure you knew that.

That rule change is probably the one that has made the biggest difference to the game. It is strange watching matches from the past and seeing it now.

yes i did know that . but if teams trust their keeper (man city) they still do it alot

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 10:58 - May 20 with 1686 viewsHerbivore

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 18:18 - May 19 by christiand

Probably just me, but the more recent finals seem to all blend together. They just appear less memorable or am I just seeing it through nostalgic eyes?

You're just getting older.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 11:06 - May 20 with 1685 viewschristiand

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 10:58 - May 20 by Herbivore

You're just getting older.

You're probably right. I have enough trouble reading posts these days!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 11:15 - May 20 with 1678 viewsHerbivore

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 11:06 - May 20 by christiand

You're probably right. I have enough trouble reading posts these days!!!

I do think there's an element of the FA Cup losing it's lustre as well, but mostly we're all just getting older. It's no coincidence that most of us can probably rattle off the winners of the FA Cup from when we were kids and teenagers but would struggle to do so for the past 5. When you're a kid these things seem more important and you still have enough space in your brain to retain information, both of those things fade with age.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 12:14 - May 20 with 1669 viewsgreenkingtone

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 09:10 - May 20 by Radlett_blue

It was changed in 1992 as a response to much of the dull football played at Italia 90 (although that tournament is fondly remembered here because England did well). The Palace - Man U replay was one of the best examples of a game which I recall was crying out for a change in that law, but I'm sure there were many others.

1953 the Stanley Matthews final. Blackpool v Bolton Wanderers
When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 12:21 - May 20 with 1668 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 18:14 - May 19 by Steve_M

Arsenal beating Hull 3-2 was pretty good, when was that 2014?

This - any game with a comeback from 2-0 is surely pretty decent, just gets dismissed as it was Arsenal and they were expected to win

Failing that the one Wigan won against Man City was a decent game too, with a dramatic late winner for the ‘right’ team

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 12:22 - May 20 with 1668 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Probably just me, but the more recent finals seem to all blend together. They just appear less memorable or am I just seeing it through nostalgic eyes?

Probably just that you don’t care as much as you used to - so don’t pay attention as much or store them in the memory bank

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 13:25 - May 20 with 1650 viewsstonojnr

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 11:15 - May 20 by Herbivore

I do think there's an element of the FA Cup losing it's lustre as well, but mostly we're all just getting older. It's no coincidence that most of us can probably rattle off the winners of the FA Cup from when we were kids and teenagers but would struggle to do so for the past 5. When you're a kid these things seem more important and you still have enough space in your brain to retain information, both of those things fade with age.

I dont know its that age so much, the lustre thing plays a bigger part for me, I mean it used to feel like the biggest game in English football,it was the trophy every player wanted to win, everyone dreamed about walking out on that pitch at wembley and winning and youd have the whole day build up on the tv, and the games seemed often dramatic or tense through the nervousness of losing.

now it just seems like another cup competition or the 39th PL game if you like, did half the players have one eye on the World cup so were looking just to get through it without injury, dont know , but its been said for a while the Championship play off final thesedays comes closest to the atmosphere the FA cup used to have, both teams play the game like they must not lose
When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 16:03 - May 20 with 1621 viewsNthsuffolkblue

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 10:40 - May 20 by jaykay

yes i did know that . but if teams trust their keeper (man city) they still do it alot

They do but it is a tactic to draw the opposition on to them or to keep possession rather than pure time wasting.

Watching spells where Cooper rolled the ball out to a defender who passed it back for him to pick up and roll out to another who passed it back again for him to pick up are not what fans want to see. Gave players a breather though. The modern game is much quicker and I am sure this is a fair part of the reason.

If the offside rule were to be changed (either to in just the last third or even quarter of the pitch or possibly even scrapped entirely), the modern game could be improved still further. Also playing on while a player is treated on or off the pitch and a yellow card for failing to retreat from a free kick being enforced. Maybe even allowing a "self-pass" from a free kick too. There is a lot football could learn from other sports.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 16:24 - May 20 with 1616 viewsbluejake78

Cheating Clive Thomas in 1975 semi final but the win over WBA in 78 rocked my bones.I hate Thomas.The feeking Welsh C..UNIT
When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 16:30 - May 20 with 1612 viewsbluejake78

We would have done Fulham by 4+...28,000 townies at Villa Park in 1975 ...brings me to tears.Robbed by the cheating Welsh C....
When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 20:59 - May 20 with 1571 viewsThe_Last_Baron

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 18:09 - May 19 by christiand

1989 - Liverpool 3-2 Everton for me

Pretty dull game until extra time. Had McCall not scored the 90th minute equaliser it would have been as bad as yesterday's game.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

When was the last entertaining FA Cup final? on 21:17 - May 20 with 1560 viewsronnyd

So much footie on the box now that it,s just another game. Influx of overseas players and managers who, perhaps don,t understand the history of the cup. Also the holy grail of the Champions League with it,s megga bucks is seen as more important.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024