Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They're not lions 14:20 - Jul 5 with 2021 viewsGuthrum

It's three heraldic leopards on the shield.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

They're not lions on 14:22 - Jul 5 with 2013 viewsDanFord

According to Fat Diego they are not Lions or Leopards but Cheetahs.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

They're not lions on 14:30 - Jul 5 with 1985 viewsSteve_M

And we owe Genoa money for using their flag apparently:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/england-owes-arrears-over-st-georg

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

They're not lions on 15:26 - Jul 5 with 1909 viewsagentp

They are European Leopards - the Lynx

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

They're not lions on 16:18 - Jul 5 with 1847 viewsMullet

This is peak Guffers.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

They're not lions on 16:33 - Jul 5 with 1825 viewsDanFord

They are Lions though. From the heraldic crest of Richard I, which featured three lions.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

They're not lions on 16:35 - Jul 5 with 1821 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Three heraldic leopards’ doesn’t scan though does it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

They're not lions on 19:00 - Jul 5 with 1753 viewsSwansea_Blue

They're not lions on 15:26 - Jul 5 by agentp

They are European Leopards - the Lynx

I would pay good money for that to be true! Imagine how conflicted that would make BNP types. Well, ok maybe just confused. But would be as funny as feck.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

They're not lions on 19:50 - Jul 5 with 1712 viewsGuthrum

They're not lions on 16:33 - Jul 5 by DanFord

They are Lions though. From the heraldic crest of Richard I, which featured three lions.

No, it was the two leopards of his grandfather, Geoffrey of Anjou. The third was added after Richard went on crusade.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

They're not lions on 19:57 - Jul 5 with 1700 viewsHARRY10

They're not lions on 16:33 - Jul 5 by DanFord

I had to smile when seeing a couple of halfwits in Norman style chain mail wearing a symbol that has associations with Europe long before even the Normans.

About as historically accurate as Nott'm Forest fans dressing up as one of the Merrie Men, based on some Hollywood film of the 1940's.
They're not lions on 20:22 - Jul 5 with 1675 viewsagentp

They're not lions on 19:00 - Jul 5 by Swansea_Blue

I would pay good money for that to be true! Imagine how conflicted that would make BNP types. Well, ok maybe just confused. But would be as funny as feck.

It is true.

The European lynx is the heraldic Leopard; look at the portrayal. It was of course native to Britain as well as Europe. Its extinction from the UK is very much debated, but during the time of Richard 1, the European Lynx was very much respected as a symbol of strength. What we deem a lion would have been very unknown.

You can see the characteristics of the Lynx very clearly in the heraldic portrayal.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 20:26]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

They're not lions on 20:55 - Jul 5 with 1633 viewsCoastalblue

They're not lions on 20:22 - Jul 5 by agentp

It is true.

The European lynx is the heraldic Leopard; look at the portrayal. It was of course native to Britain as well as Europe. Its extinction from the UK is very much debated, but during the time of Richard 1, the European Lynx was very much respected as a symbol of strength. What we deem a lion would have been very unknown.

You can see the characteristics of the Lynx very clearly in the heraldic portrayal.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 20:26]

Now I'm not going to argue any of your point, except the Romans would have been bringing Lions back to Europe a year or two before Richard 1.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

They're not lions on 20:59 - Jul 5 with 1623 viewsMullet

They're not lions on 20:55 - Jul 5 by Coastalblue

Now I'm not going to argue any of your point, except the Romans would have been bringing Lions back to Europe a year or two before Richard 1.

But what did they ever do for us?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

They're not lions on 21:08 - Jul 5 with 1614 viewstcblue

They're not lions on 19:00 - Jul 5 by Swansea_Blue

As opposed to native British lions?
They're not lions on 21:18 - Jul 5 with 1588 viewsStNeotsBlue

They're not lions on 19:57 - Jul 5 by HARRY10

I had to smile when seeing a couple of halfwits in Norman style chain mail wearing a symbol that has associations with Europe long before even the Normans.

About as historically accurate as Nott'm Forest fans dressing up as one of the Merrie Men, based on some Hollywood film of the 1940's.

I think you're over thinking things here. It's just a couple of blokes in fancy dress on the piss. Good luck to them.
They're not lions on 21:52 - Jul 5 with 1546 viewsagentp

They're not lions on 20:55 - Jul 5 by Coastalblue

They certainly did.

Richard 1 arms portray a lynx pretty well and was referred to as a heraldic Leopard; as was the Lynx. Many historians believe the Lynx to be the heraldic Leopard; it was used throughout Europe as well including countries with minimal Roman influence. It probably evolved into what we know as a Lion with understanding.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024