Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? 20:35 - Aug 4 with 6983 viewsRyorry

"Microsoft account security alert
Microsoft account team <account-security-noreply@accountprotection.microsoft.com>
Today, 19:14
You
Microsoft account
Security alert
We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account *@hotmail........When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.
If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.
If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.
Recover account
Learn how to make your account more secure."

Tried phoning, but they're closed in the UK now, so my reaction is just to change my password normally, without going through their route. Any thoughts? I haven't been logged out of outlook by "them", whoever they are. When I googled for their chat, I was asked for options & tried to go through my recovery account, which was mostly "starred" out. Clicked "go" on that & it said it wasn't correct, which makes me even more suspicious.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:37 - Aug 4 with 6966 viewswkj

That looks like a genuine microsoft email address, but just be double sure of the link in the email, better yet, log into your accounts manually instead of following the email link and change your passwords anyway.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2018 20:38]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:39 - Aug 4 with 6955 viewshomer_123

Looks dodgy to be honest. That email address domain feels wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:39 - Aug 4 with 6951 viewsnoggin

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:37 - Aug 4 by wkj

That looks like a genuine microsoft email address, but just be double sure of the link in the email, better yet, log into your accounts manually instead of following the email link and change your passwords anyway.

"log into your accounts manually instead of following the email link and change your passwords anyway."

This, every time.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:39 - Aug 4 with 6949 viewsmos

Don’t go through their dubious route, just go to the Microsoft website and do the necessary password changing just to be on the safe side.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:40 - Aug 4 with 6948 viewshomer_123

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:37 - Aug 4 by wkj

Drop that domain into google and nada...also, is that the email address or is it spoofed?

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:42 - Aug 4 with 6934 viewswkj

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:39 - Aug 4 by homer_123

It is a genuine Microsoft email account

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-oinfosafe/is-thi

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:42 - Aug 4 with 6930 viewsZoloft

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:39 - Aug 4 by homer_123

I had the same email yesterday. I logged into my Hotmail account via a browser and had to change my password - wouldn't let me access my account until I had changed the password and had a code sent to my mobile. I think if it's genuine you'll find out when you try to log in. If not it's probably a scam.
Hope that helps.
Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:43 - Aug 4 with 6921 viewshomer_123

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:42 - Aug 4 by wkj

It is a genuine Microsoft email account

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-oinfosafe/is-thi

Fair dos

Login to get fewer ads

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:43 - Aug 4 with 6922 viewsElderGrizzly

It’s a scam. We saw it last week across some Govt departments. Microsoft email address is ‘cloned’
Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:49 - Aug 4 with 6912 viewsTrequartista

I had an identical email last month and mine was genuine

Hover over the Recover Account button. If it says account.live.com it is genuine.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:53 - Aug 4 with 6885 viewsRyorry

Is this a sophisticated phishing scam, or genuine Microsoft alert? on 20:43 - Aug 4 by ElderGrizzly

It’s a scam. We saw it last week across some Govt departments. Microsoft email address is ‘cloned’

Oh wow. I think my initial concern was heightened because there was no "green shield". Then completing my phone number didn't bring the verification code that way. So I went through my recovery account (you have to complete all of the address for it, which again made me suspicious. Even then it didn't send the code, I had to go round in a circle & it sent it second time.

Got in via changing my password - which of course I'll now promptly change again, on both the outlook and recovery account!

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024