Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bournemouth spending £25m..... 19:15 - Aug 7 with 15276 viewsHerbivore

....on one player. It just feels wrong. They're a tiny tinpot club and I declare that football is officially broken: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45072577

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:34 - Aug 7 with 2245 viewspointofblue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:22 - Aug 7 by Superblue95

Not really, they spend millions upon millions to barely scrape survival in the prem.

They had to spend millions to get up in the first place and spent the most part of the season cheating. They have no history and when the bubble bursts they will have a bleak future too.

We have a great history and are doing things the right way. I'd still rather be us than them, despite them enjoying a few seasons of top flight footie

We're doing the "right thing" now. We did try buying our way to the top when Evans first took over, to be fair, albeit maybe not quite to the same extent as Bournemouth did.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 20:34]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:38 - Aug 7 with 2236 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:31 - Aug 7 by BlueNomad

They sold several players in order to finance their purchases. Several of the team were playing for them in L2 and are still there*. Matt Richie cost £400k. From memory it was just the loan fee and salary for Kenwyn Jones that got stupid. Give them some credit!

*(Think Francis, Cook, Daniels, Pugh, Arter, Fraser, Smith....)
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 20:36]

They massively overspent and were in breach of FFP.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:41 - Aug 7 with 2226 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 19:30 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

Are they really though? They spent a big chunk of last season flirting with the relegation zone. I'm not sure many outside the top 7 or 8 are genuinely established. They all just want to stay up.

Exactly right Herbie...................If ever there was a time for a European Super League & then a restructuring of our domestic setup, then that time must surely be upon us.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:47 - Aug 7 with 2216 viewsBlueNomad

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:38 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

They massively overspent and were in breach of FFP.

It is acknowledged they overspent and have paid their fine. They have been hamstrung by the fact they have a small ground, which had to be built to replace the old one which was becoming unsafe. Their gate money is / was severely restricted.

I suspect we overspent in the early ME days.

I hope no-one criticising Bournemouth were the the “open your wallet Evans” brigade!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 20:51]
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:26 - Aug 7 with 2190 viewschristiand

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:14 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

With Kenwyne Jones up front... how high were his wages again??? Don't get me wrong they've got up there and held their own, credit to them, but it's the "plucky little Bournemouth" thing which stuck in my throat then and it still does now.

But as I said would I accept Ipswich going up the same way and staying there the same way? Hell yes. But I'd accept the cash injection had a lot/all to do with it.

Without a doubt it helped. However, do I begrudge them, a team only few years ago that we’re destined for non league football? No. It just reads as sour grapes, especially some referring to them as ‘tin pot’.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:30 - Aug 7 with 2185 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:26 - Aug 7 by christiand

Without a doubt it helped. However, do I begrudge them, a team only few years ago that we’re destined for non league football? No. It just reads as sour grapes, especially some referring to them as ‘tin pot’.

You're proving my point nicely, cheers mate. A tiny tin pot club destined for non-league can be bankrolled to spending £25m on a single player in under 10 years. Football is broken.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:34 - Aug 7 with 2181 viewschristiand

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:30 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

You're proving my point nicely, cheers mate. A tiny tin pot club destined for non-league can be bankrolled to spending £25m on a single player in under 10 years. Football is broken.

They’re in the Premier League....end!

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:38 - Aug 7 with 2175 viewspointofblue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:34 - Aug 7 by christiand

They’re in the Premier League....end!

No one's denying that but the manner they did it... don't get me wrong, Manchester City are worse - they represent everything that is wrong with football now - but the likes of Bournemouth aren't too far behind. Just get someone with money and sense and anything is possible; success doesn't pay the way now, sugar daddies do.

Login to get fewer ads

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:39 - Aug 7 with 2172 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:47 - Aug 7 by BlueNomad

It is acknowledged they overspent and have paid their fine. They have been hamstrung by the fact they have a small ground, which had to be built to replace the old one which was becoming unsafe. Their gate money is / was severely restricted.

I suspect we overspent in the early ME days.

I hope no-one criticising Bournemouth were the the “open your wallet Evans” brigade!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 20:51]

Their main over spend was the fact players got big promotion bonuses - without them they'd have been under the limits and that is why fine was so small.

I don't get the bitterness, they played good football on a decent budget and deservedly went up.

Just because we ran out of money some want to get all pious about it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:40 - Aug 7 with 2171 viewschristiand

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:38 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

No one's denying that but the manner they did it... don't get me wrong, Manchester City are worse - they represent everything that is wrong with football now - but the likes of Bournemouth aren't too far behind. Just get someone with money and sense and anything is possible; success doesn't pay the way now, sugar daddies do.

If only we had one?!

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:43 - Aug 7 with 2166 viewspointofblue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:40 - Aug 7 by christiand

If only we had one?!

Ha! He's hardly a sugar daddy in terms of transfers though; he does keep us afloat though. Goodness knows where we'd be without him.

So there is a touch of hypocrisy alongside the green-eyed monster, I acknowledge that - I said as much earlier when stating Evans' aims when he first took over the club. Bournemouth spent more than he did, though, and got the reward.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:44 - Aug 7 with 2166 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:38 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

By playing much better football than anyone in the league on a budget not much bigger than ITFCs?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:46 - Aug 7 with 2157 viewspointofblue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:44 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

By playing much better football than anyone in the league on a budget not much bigger than ITFCs?

Not much bigger than ours? The fee on Jones alone was excessive; as said above they broke the FFP and got done for it - it's just the Premier League don't see it as such a serious issue as the EFL do.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:53 - Aug 7 with 2145 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:46 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

Not much bigger than ours? The fee on Jones alone was excessive; as said above they broke the FFP and got done for it - it's just the Premier League don't see it as such a serious issue as the EFL do.

He spent 6 weeks on loan there - even if he was on £50k a week it was a £300k investment, hardly breaking the bank.

The main reason they failed FFP was due to promotion bonuses - their wage bill in 13/14 was £17m then jumped to £30m despite them barely signing anyone.

We'll never know the breakdown between wages and bonuses, but common sense suggests their wage bill wouldn't have increased that much when you look at the names brought in and was at a similar level to ITFCs

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:55 - Aug 7 with 2140 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:44 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

Come on, Joe. Their spending was huge: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2016/05/bournemouth-welcome-to-pleasuredome.html

You can't put that all down to promotion bonuses, that's absurd.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:58 - Aug 7 with 2137 viewspatrickswell

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:19 - Aug 7 by BlueNomad

It was only a few years ago that Town appeared to consider painting the turnstiles as something significant so be careful who you call tinpot!

Yes Bournemouth broke the rules when they went up but not on the scale a lot of our rivals have done over the past couple of years. They have a massive catchment area and when the new, larger stadium is built they will be far bigger than us in every way.

Your last sentence serves as a damning indictment of Evans, Magilton, Keane and Jewell. Guys who had access to the keys of the kingdom and messed it up - together with the hordes of unmotivated bottlers they brought in.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:01 - Aug 7 with 2129 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:55 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

Come on, Joe. Their spending was huge: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2016/05/bournemouth-welcome-to-pleasuredome.html

You can't put that all down to promotion bonuses, that's absurd.

The biggest jump is that £13m in wages which isn’t explained by what they did with the squad

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:07 - Aug 7 with 2117 viewsMaySixth

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 19:16 - Aug 7 by cobbler

HOw can you say tinpot they are premier side and worth a lot more than us jealousy has no bounds.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 19:17]

They are tinpot.

Fanbase has complete delusions of grandeur

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:08 - Aug 7 with 2117 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:01 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

The biggest jump is that £13m in wages which isn’t explained by what they did with the squad

It's not explained by promotion bonuses either, if you read the article comparable clubs paid out between £6m and £7m in bonuses. I can't believe Bournemouth would be paying out double that. Their wage spending was just under 2.5 times their turnover. They made losses of over £60m in a 3 year period and had the third highest net spend on transfers in their first season in the Prem. Fair play to their Russian backer for going for it, but it's not exactly a fairytale. And they remain a tiny tinpot club, just one with TV money and a wealthy owner.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:12 - Aug 7 with 2107 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:08 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

It's not explained by promotion bonuses either, if you read the article comparable clubs paid out between £6m and £7m in bonuses. I can't believe Bournemouth would be paying out double that. Their wage spending was just under 2.5 times their turnover. They made losses of over £60m in a 3 year period and had the third highest net spend on transfers in their first season in the Prem. Fair play to their Russian backer for going for it, but it's not exactly a fairytale. And they remain a tiny tinpot club, just one with TV money and a wealthy owner.

It says one director has a £2m bonus, so boy beyond realms of possibility

I just don’t see where that £13m leap comes from when you look at squad

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:15 - Aug 7 with 2105 viewsBlueNomad

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:08 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

Your last sentence applies to the Premiership “giants” too.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:16 - Aug 7 with 2105 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:12 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

It says one director has a £2m bonus, so boy beyond realms of possibility

I just don’t see where that £13m leap comes from when you look at squad

You can see here where a big chunk of it went, surely: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/afc-bournemouth/transfers/verein/989/saison_id/2

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:17 - Aug 7 with 2104 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:15 - Aug 7 by BlueNomad

Your last sentence applies to the Premiership “giants” too.

The Premiership giants are tiny tinpot clubs? Run that one by me again.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:18 - Aug 7 with 2103 viewsgtsb

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 19:27 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

Not jealous at all. I actually quite like the Championship. If we think there's too much financial disparity in this league it's nothing compared to the Prem. Sure a tinpot club like Bournemouth can buy their way there but the aim total of their aspirations is to finish 17th or above each year. Going up is exciting, staying up first season too. After that it just looks like a massive grind. And they'll never win anything or be a proper club with a footballing history.

Welcome to 2018. History is well....history. Today Bournemouth are a bigger club than us. So if they are tinpot what are we. Jealousy is an awful trait.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:19 - Aug 7 with 2096 viewsBlueNomad

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:17 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

The Premiership giants are tiny tinpot clubs? Run that one by me again.

They have tv money and mega-rich owners. That is why they can spend so much
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 22:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024