Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bournemouth spending £25m..... 19:15 - Aug 7 with 15274 viewsHerbivore

....on one player. It just feels wrong. They're a tiny tinpot club and I declare that football is officially broken: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45072577

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:20 - Aug 7 with 3657 viewsMullet

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:10 - Aug 7 by christiand

Bournemouth? The season they won promotion they played some great stuff. When they came to PR we couldn’t get out of our own half for the majority of the game, it was a joy to watch.

They were also one of the dirtiest sides I've ever seen in terms of diving, timewasting, ref wrangling and all round Tarquin the Chelsea dodger type entitlement justifying it.

Which was a shame because they did buy well in fairness.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:20 - Aug 7 with 3657 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:18 - Aug 7 by gtsb

Welcome to 2018. History is well....history. Today Bournemouth are a bigger club than us. So if they are tinpot what are we. Jealousy is an awful trait.

I don't think you've quite grasped this, mate.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:24 - Aug 7 with 3645 viewsbournemouthblue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:14 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

With Kenwyne Jones up front... how high were his wages again??? Don't get me wrong they've got up there and held their own, credit to them, but it's the "plucky little Bournemouth" thing which stuck in my throat then and it still does now.

But as I said would I accept Ipswich going up the same way and staying there the same way? Hell yes. But I'd accept the cash injection had a lot/all to do with it.

We certainly wouldn't trade our UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League title for a few seasons of mid-table finishes in the top flight

Obviously we would take what they have right now and a decent run of Premiership football for 5 - 10 years is what we really need

But we must remain humble even when the better times do come and will at some point, it has been a long long wait mind you
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 23:38]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:25 - Aug 7 with 3643 viewsgtsb

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:20 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

I don't think you've quite grasped this, mate.

Oh I think I have. They bent the rules, took a massive gamble, and won. Good luck to them. You wouldn't give a toss if that was us.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:25 - Aug 7 with 3641 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:19 - Aug 7 by BlueNomad

They have tv money and mega-rich owners. That is why they can spend so much
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 22:21]

In what way are they tiny tinpot clubs though? The whole point is you give a tiny tinpot club enough money and they can spend big and just about survive in the Prem. Genuinely big clubs like United, Liverpool etc. are on a different level to Bournemouth because they have significant commercial income on top of their TV revenue and a tiny tinpot club like Bournemouth won't ever have that. That's why those sides are nailed on top 6 and Bournemouth spend each season looking to avoid the drop first and foremost.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:27 - Aug 7 with 3636 viewsRadlett_blue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:18 - Aug 7 by gtsb

Welcome to 2018. History is well....history. Today Bournemouth are a bigger club than us. So if they are tinpot what are we. Jealousy is an awful trait.

When we spent £3.1m on Finidi George & £4.5m on Matteo Sereni (I still can't believe this) I didn't feel comfortable. The only thing that has changed is that the sums have multipled by 5x or so.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:28 - Aug 7 with 3630 viewsgtsb

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:25 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

In what way are they tiny tinpot clubs though? The whole point is you give a tiny tinpot club enough money and they can spend big and just about survive in the Prem. Genuinely big clubs like United, Liverpool etc. are on a different level to Bournemouth because they have significant commercial income on top of their TV revenue and a tiny tinpot club like Bournemouth won't ever have that. That's why those sides are nailed on top 6 and Bournemouth spend each season looking to avoid the drop first and foremost.

So the day we go up, if ever, we suddenly turn into a tinpot club because our main aim would be survival.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:41 - Aug 7 with 3621 viewsphillymark

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 19:16 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

They bought their way through this division (no matter what the press said about "plucky little Bournemouth") and are now reeping the awards.

They did a bit of both. Their recovery from the bottom division was remarkable and I think they solidified themselves in the championship with some incredible management. Money has been a big factor since promotion, unsurprisingly, but they did not buy their way into the prem

In their promotion year their team was pretty much this (looking only at the players who played a lot) - the signings vary from 2010 to 2014
Simon Francis (46 games) - signed from Charlton $175,000
Steve Cook (49 games) - signed from Brighton $150,000
Tommy Elphick (50 games) - $90,000 from Brighton
Andrew Surman - 41 games - $900,000 from Norwich (bet they regret that)
Mark Pugh - 44 games - $180,000 from Hereford
Harry Arter - 47 games - $45,000 from Woking - amazing find IMHO
Bret Pitman 37 games - $675,000 from Bristol City
Charlie Daniels - 43 games - $50,000 from Leyton Orient
Callum Wilson - 50 games - $675,000 from Coventry
Adam Smith - 36 games - $300,000 from Spurs
Yann Kermorgant - 42 games - $400,000 from Charlton
Ryan Fraser - 27 games - $45,000 from Aberdeen - incredible piece of business
Matt Ritchie - 51 games - $180,000 from Swindon - damn
Artur Boruc - 39 games - loaned from Southampton

They got Junior Stanislas for $1million from Burnley - played 20 games that year but obviously a bargain today

Hardly buying their way to success at all. since promotion they've spent quite a lot but there's no way that they bought their way into the premier league
Login to get fewer ads

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:44 - Aug 7 with 3613 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:28 - Aug 7 by gtsb

So the day we go up, if ever, we suddenly turn into a tinpot club because our main aim would be survival.

You're really not getting this. They are a tiny tin pot club because they've spent most of their history playing in front of 5k fans in the bottom two tiers of English football before buying their way to the bottom half of the Prem. A few years of Russian funded relative success doesn't suddenly make them a big club.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:47 - Aug 7 with 3605 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:41 - Aug 7 by phillymark

They did a bit of both. Their recovery from the bottom division was remarkable and I think they solidified themselves in the championship with some incredible management. Money has been a big factor since promotion, unsurprisingly, but they did not buy their way into the prem

In their promotion year their team was pretty much this (looking only at the players who played a lot) - the signings vary from 2010 to 2014

They got Junior Stanislas for $1million from Burnley - played 20 games that year but obviously a bargain today

Hardly buying their way to success at all. since promotion they've spent quite a lot but there's no way that they bought their way into the premier league

Those figures aren't accurate. Wilson was £3m plus for a start. Their promotion season they spent 2.5 times their entire income on just wages.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:48 - Aug 7 with 3596 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:44 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

You're really not getting this. They are a tiny tin pot club because they've spent most of their history playing in front of 5k fans in the bottom two tiers of English football before buying their way to the bottom half of the Prem. A few years of Russian funded relative success doesn't suddenly make them a big club.

It does this season. We may have the history, but that isn't going to help Marcus and Hursty much this season (it will a little, but just in Hurst's motivational speeches in the dressing room).

I did quite like the description of us as a sleeping giant though. I'm a big fan of whoever said that (think it might have been Donacien)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:51 - Aug 7 with 3590 viewsHerbivore

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:48 - Aug 7 by Swansea_Blue

It does this season. We may have the history, but that isn't going to help Marcus and Hursty much this season (it will a little, but just in Hurst's motivational speeches in the dressing room).

I did quite like the description of us as a sleeping giant though. I'm a big fan of whoever said that (think it might have been Donacien)

We have different ideas of what constitutes a big club if you consider Bournemouth to be a big club.

on 22:54 - Aug 7 with 3582 views_

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:41 - Aug 7 by phillymark

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:55 - Aug 7 with 3580 viewsphillymark

how did they buy their way into the prem? which players are you talking about?
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:57 - Aug 7 with 3569 viewsHerbivore

on 22:54 - Aug 7 by _

It was £400k. He's massively underestimated all the figures.

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 23:30 - Aug 7 with 3532 viewsRocky

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 20:10 - Aug 7 by christiand

Bournemouth? The season they won promotion they played some great stuff. When they came to PR we couldn’t get out of our own half for the majority of the game, it was a joy to watch.

Absolutely. Great passing team and a pleasure to watch. We've seen many other teams spend far more - Derby every season for example - and not come close to the way they played to win promotion.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 23:31 - Aug 7 with 3532 viewsStNeotsBlue

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:57 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

It was £400k. He's massively underestimated all the figures.

Even so £400 grand for Fraser is a great buy. I don't get the animosity to them, same with Derby, good luck to them but I couldn't give a monkey's if either of them won the Champions League or got relegated to the Conference.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 23:36 - Aug 7 with 3525 viewsgtsb

Dear oh dear. Nobody has said they are a massive club but they are a bigger club than us at the moment.
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 00:22 - Aug 8 with 3489 viewsphillymark

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 23:31 - Aug 7 by StNeotsBlue

Even so £400 grand for Fraser is a great buy. I don't get the animosity to them, same with Derby, good luck to them but I couldn't give a monkey's if either of them won the Champions League or got relegated to the Conference.

You're right - I screwed up - used the wrong column of a table.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ryan-fraser/transfers/spieler/146795
Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 02:43 - Aug 8 with 3457 viewsSlambo

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 19:16 - Aug 7 by cobbler

HOw can you say tinpot they are premier side and worth a lot more than us jealousy has no bounds.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 19:17]

Their entire existance has been spent in the bottom 2 divisions, bar something like 3 seasons; funded by an enigmatic Russian oligarch, they crashed into the Prem JUST as they'd signed the biggest tv deal on history. Massively fortunate, but despite that, Eddie Howe is still a top bloke, a great manager, and they did recruit players well, playing some cracking stuff along the way...

Truth is though, Bournemouth int a football town. You won't sustain a place at the top table with a ground shadowed by many League 1 grounds; there's also a bit of a cult of personality around Howe. If and when he leaves, I can see Bournemouth struggling to keep their heads above the water, their fairweather middle-class Nu Fans will disappear and a natural order will be restored...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:08 - Aug 8 with 3402 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 21:53 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

He spent 6 weeks on loan there - even if he was on £50k a week it was a £300k investment, hardly breaking the bank.

The main reason they failed FFP was due to promotion bonuses - their wage bill in 13/14 was £17m then jumped to £30m despite them barely signing anyone.

We'll never know the breakdown between wages and bonuses, but common sense suggests their wage bill wouldn't have increased that much when you look at the names brought in and was at a similar level to ITFCs

Barely signing anyone apart from the near £4m spent on Wilson and Surman, following on from their £3m investment in Tokelo Rantie the previous season?

I don’t really have an issue with them spending money, but the whole Bournemouth miracle narrative did grate somewhat - only in football could a miracle involve a Russian millionaire

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:11 - Aug 8 with 3402 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 22:16 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

You can see here where a big chunk of it went, surely: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/afc-bournemouth/transfers/verein/989/saison_id/2

You think that tallies into increasing wage bill by 40%? Those 4-5 first teamers increase wage bill by £10m?

Our accounts that year have Mings fee in, do that’s an £8m increase in their losses.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:14 - Aug 8 with 3397 viewssparks

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 19:19 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

They're still a club that bought their status rather than earned it on the pitch - like a poorer version of Manchester City.

Like wolves. Or blackburn. Or us had keane succeeded. or a vast number of others. You sound bitter.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:25 - Aug 8 with 3386 viewsitfcjoe

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:08 - Aug 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Barely signing anyone apart from the near £4m spent on Wilson and Surman, following on from their £3m investment in Tokelo Rantie the previous season?

I don’t really have an issue with them spending money, but the whole Bournemouth miracle narrative did grate somewhat - only in football could a miracle involve a Russian millionaire

I think they only spent 7 figure fees on two players in their whole time in FL - Rantie and Wilson.

Whilst they weren’t plucky little Bournemouth, they weren’t buying their way to promotion- they were spending money sensibly on ‘young, hungry’ players from the lower leagues.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:27 - Aug 8 with 3381 viewsMullet

Bournemouth spending £25m..... on 07:14 - Aug 8 by sparks

Like wolves. Or blackburn. Or us had keane succeeded. or a vast number of others. You sound bitter.

Two examples of sides everyone rips for doing it, and a hypothetical that didn't even come close to happening.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024