Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Veggie Restaurant 08:00 - Sep 6 with 3902 viewsFoD_Blue

As I know a lot on here have good knowledge of London, I ask you for some advice on a good London restaurant.

My wife and I are going for a few days in London in a couple of weeks, and this just happens to coincide with our first wedding anniversary. My wife is a vegetarian (well, a pescatarian to be precise as she eats fish) and I would like to take her somewhere a little special for a meal.
I am very conscious that when we go to 'normal' restaurants, the vegetarian options are usually somewhat limited, so my plan is to take her to somewhere that caters specifically for veggies.

We will be staying close to Tower Bridge, but obviously we will have plenty of time and public transport, so it is no great hardship to travel somewhere. There are no real cost limitations, as long as the food is good.

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks.
London Veggie Restaurant on 08:03 - Sep 6 with 3890 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Not sure on budget mate but Scotts on Mount Street is a fantastic fish restaurant. Fera at Claridges has a very good vegetarian menu. Both expensive options but great food.
London Veggie Restaurant on 08:04 - Sep 6 with 3884 viewsfactual_blue

If she eats fish, how about Sweetings. Certainly the best fish restaurant in London.

http://www.sweetingsrestaurant.co.uk/

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

London Veggie Restaurant on 08:07 - Sep 6 with 3879 viewsPrideOfTheEast

London Veggie Restaurant on 08:04 - Sep 6 by factual_blue

If she eats fish, how about Sweetings. Certainly the best fish restaurant in London.

http://www.sweetingsrestaurant.co.uk/

OP, note that Sweetings is closed on the weekend
London Veggie Restaurant on 08:49 - Sep 6 with 3851 viewsFoD_Blue

Thanks for the comments so far, however I would prefer to steer away from a fish restaurant, because when we go out, she generally always ends up having fish as she finds the veggie options uninspiring. This is why I wopuld prefer to find a dedicated vegetarian restaurant to take her to.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 8:50]
London Veggie Restaurant on 08:52 - Sep 6 with 3838 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 08:49 - Sep 6 by FoD_Blue

Thanks for the comments so far, however I would prefer to steer away from a fish restaurant, because when we go out, she generally always ends up having fish as she finds the veggie options uninspiring. This is why I wopuld prefer to find a dedicated vegetarian restaurant to take her to.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 8:50]

The food at Essence in Shoreditch is superb. It's vegan rather than veggie but it's seriously good.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:02 - Sep 6 with 3822 viewseireblue

A litte special and no real cost restrictions = https://www.vanillablack.co.uk
London Veggie Restaurant on 09:06 - Sep 6 with 3814 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:02 - Sep 6 by eireblue

A litte special and no real cost restrictions = https://www.vanillablack.co.uk

I was trying to remember the name of the really fancy place. I've not been, is it good?

To be fair these days if you want veggie/vegan fine dining you can find it easily, Benedict's in Norwich did me an 8 course vegan tasting menu last time I went there. It was superb.

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:07 - Sep 6 with 3817 viewsmonytowbray

Go to Temple of Seitan for vegan fried "chicken".

Mildreds is decent.

The Diner has a good vegan menu.

Mooshies in Brick Lane, vegan burger place that does great cheese sticks.

Fat Gay Vegan blog might be worth a shout to read and find some spots: http://fatgayvegan.com/tag/london/

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:11 - Sep 6 with 3806 viewseireblue

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:06 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

I was trying to remember the name of the really fancy place. I've not been, is it good?

To be fair these days if you want veggie/vegan fine dining you can find it easily, Benedict's in Norwich did me an 8 course vegan tasting menu last time I went there. It was superb.

Yep, it is really good.

I wish I had more birthdays per year.
London Veggie Restaurant on 09:11 - Sep 6 with 3803 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:07 - Sep 6 by monytowbray

Go to Temple of Seitan for vegan fried "chicken".

Mildreds is decent.

The Diner has a good vegan menu.

Mooshies in Brick Lane, vegan burger place that does great cheese sticks.

Fat Gay Vegan blog might be worth a shout to read and find some spots: http://fatgayvegan.com/tag/london/

Temple of Seitan is great, their chicken salt is pure filth.

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:42 - Sep 6 with 3779 viewsmonytowbray

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:11 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

Went out of my way to go to the Hackney one on Sunday after football. Bloody replacement buses made me say YOLO.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

London Veggie Restaurant on 10:44 - Sep 6 with 3752 viewsFoD_Blue

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:11 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

Temple of Seitan looks like a burger bar arther than a restaurant?

Might be somewhere interesting to visit for lunch on one of the days we are there if so.
London Veggie Restaurant on 14:56 - Sep 6 with 3705 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Dishoom has a great vegan / vegetarian menu
London Veggie Restaurant on 16:22 - Sep 6 with 3675 viewsFoD_Blue

London Veggie Restaurant on 14:56 - Sep 6 by Matt_Netherlands

Dishoom has a great vegan / vegetarian menu

Not sure about the wife, but my mouth is watering just looking at the menu.

She liked the look of vanilla Black, but I like the look of this place, plus it is not only vegetarian food, so caters to my carnivorous tastes.

Thanks
London Veggie Restaurant on 19:41 - Sep 6 with 3636 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 16:22 - Sep 6 by FoD_Blue

Not sure about the wife, but my mouth is watering just looking at the menu.

She liked the look of vanilla Black, but I like the look of this place, plus it is not only vegetarian food, so caters to my carnivorous tastes.

Thanks

Yeah Dishoom is really good. You can't book a table though so be prepared to wait a bit.

London Veggie Restaurant on 19:45 - Sep 6 with 3631 viewsDubtractor

London Veggie Restaurant on 09:06 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

Tell me more. Mrs dubs is vegan so sounds like a brilliant place for us to go for a night out.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

London Veggie Restaurant on 19:53 - Sep 6 with 3621 viewsBloomBlue

Mildred's in Camden is great
London Veggie Restaurant on 20:02 - Sep 6 with 3611 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 19:45 - Sep 6 by Dubtractor

Tell me more. Mrs dubs is vegan so sounds like a brilliant place for us to go for a night out.

It's a great restaurant, they always have veggie options on their a la carte menu and you can just turn up and have a 6 or 8 course veggie tasting menu. If you're vegan you just need to e-mail them when you book (you can book a table online) and let them know you have a vegan in your party. The only slight downside is they need to know in advance whether you want the 6 or 8 course tasting menu so they can plan it properly. They charge a bit less for it than for the regular tasting menu too as it's all veg so cheaper to produce. I actually think the vegan tasting menu there is better than when I've had the veggie one in the past. You get extra little snacks pre-meal too and they do special vegan ones.

It's not cheap though, but have a gander at their website restaurantbenedicts.com for an idea of cost and style of food. So long as your missus isn't massively fussy - as she won't know what she's having until the night - then she will love it. I imagine they'd also let you see the vegan menu in advance if you really wanted to. It's the kind of place that feels like a genuine treat, food and service both exceptional and I was seriously impressed by the thought and effort that went into the vegan food.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 20:03]

London Veggie Restaurant on 20:07 - Sep 6 with 3599 viewsDubtractor

London Veggie Restaurant on 20:02 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

It's a great restaurant, they always have veggie options on their a la carte menu and you can just turn up and have a 6 or 8 course veggie tasting menu. If you're vegan you just need to e-mail them when you book (you can book a table online) and let them know you have a vegan in your party. The only slight downside is they need to know in advance whether you want the 6 or 8 course tasting menu so they can plan it properly. They charge a bit less for it than for the regular tasting menu too as it's all veg so cheaper to produce. I actually think the vegan tasting menu there is better than when I've had the veggie one in the past. You get extra little snacks pre-meal too and they do special vegan ones.

It's not cheap though, but have a gander at their website restaurantbenedicts.com for an idea of cost and style of food. So long as your missus isn't massively fussy - as she won't know what she's having until the night - then she will love it. I imagine they'd also let you see the vegan menu in advance if you really wanted to. It's the kind of place that feels like a genuine treat, food and service both exceptional and I was seriously impressed by the thought and effort that went into the vegan food.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 20:03]

Cheers for that.

I don't mind paying top dollar for something a bit special, as a once or twice a year treat.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

London Veggie Restaurant on 20:26 - Sep 6 with 3582 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 20:07 - Sep 6 by Dubtractor

Cheers for that.

I don't mind paying top dollar for something a bit special, as a once or twice a year treat.

It's ideal for that purpose.

London Veggie Restaurant on 00:53 - Sep 7 with 3535 viewsjaseitfc

If your a proper foodie check out Borough market, Spitalfields market, or mercato metropolitano in Elephant & Castle- plenty of veggie / seafood options at all 3 locations
London Veggie Restaurant on 06:42 - Sep 7 with 3492 viewsCoastalblue

If you're close to Tower Bridge and want somewhere to walk to for dinner then my favourite Italian does a great veggie lasagne and a variety of other veggie options.

Possibly not quite would be considered a special night out but a great place for a casual meal, and literally just reopened in their new premises.
https://www.ilbordello.com/

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

London Veggie Restaurant on 07:51 - Sep 7 with 3473 viewsFoD_Blue

Thanks for all the replies. The wife thought I was being stupid when I suggested asking on a football forum, but as expected you delivered!

I am booking a table at Vanilla Black, for our anniversary, but due to the number of suggestions that you have all given, we have now decided that we will put a veggie bias on the whole visit. I'm not a veggie, but some of the menus that I have looked at based on the comments here are very interesting.
London Veggie Restaurant on 08:33 - Sep 7 with 3459 viewsHerbivore

London Veggie Restaurant on 07:51 - Sep 7 by FoD_Blue

Thanks for all the replies. The wife thought I was being stupid when I suggested asking on a football forum, but as expected you delivered!

I am booking a table at Vanilla Black, for our anniversary, but due to the number of suggestions that you have all given, we have now decided that we will put a veggie bias on the whole visit. I'm not a veggie, but some of the menus that I have looked at based on the comments here are very interesting.

Good man. If you fancy a sweet treat then give this place a go: https://chinchinicecream.com

Best ice cream ever, ridiculously good.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024