Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Housing Crisis 16:59 - Sep 21 with 3174 viewsJ2BLUE

Sky just said one of the factors in some areas is houses being 'under occupied'. They asked one man (who owned his house) if he felt guilty for living in such a big house when so many people need more space.

Does anyone think he should feel guilty? Would anyone like to see some sort of bedroom tax brought in on private properties? Seems a really unfair question to me and curious how other people see it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Housing Crisis on 18:02 - Sep 21 with 874 viewschicoazul

Housing Crisis on 17:17 - Sep 21 by factual_blue

We're tempted to downsize and use our capital to buy three 'starter' homes next to each other. We'd live in the middle one and keep the ones either side empty for a bit of peace and quiet.

That would help, wouldn't it?

(Clarified for the sake of J2, who seems blissfully unaware of the Interpretation Act 0f 1978, and any other subsequent relevant legislation)
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 17:35]

Spoken like a true Blairite.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Housing Crisis on 18:05 - Sep 21 with 864 viewsGuthrum

Housing Crisis on 17:29 - Sep 21 by chicoazul

I have been saying this for ages. George Monbiot makes the simple elegant point that there is no housing shortage. Something like 80% of houses have one empty bedroom and 65% have two. our country needs to come up with some way to incentivise the chap you mentioned to leave his home for a smaller one.

EDIT; here is his article https://www.monbiot.com/2015/10/21/home-ground/
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 17:32]

Or incentivise them to take in a lodger.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Housing Crisis on 18:09 - Sep 21 with 857 viewssparks

Housing Crisis on 18:05 - Sep 21 by Guthrum

Presumably we all agree that it's not unreasonable to have space to use for hobbies, or a study or perhaps space for friends and family to stay?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Housing Crisis on 18:16 - Sep 21 with 843 viewsGuthrum

Housing Crisis on 18:09 - Sep 21 by sparks

Presumably we all agree that it's not unreasonable to have space to use for hobbies, or a study or perhaps space for friends and family to stay?

Hence the word 'incentivise', rather than "compel". The homeowner still has a choice.

Plus I'm not sure we want to get back to a slum situation where there are four families each living in just one room of a house.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Housing Crisis on 00:55 - Sep 22 with 801 viewsBlueBadger

Housing Crisis on 18:09 - Sep 21 by sparks

It's only unreasonable if you're poor, according to the government.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Housing Crisis on 02:33 - Sep 22 with 792 viewsRyorry

Housing Crisis on 18:05 - Sep 21 by Guthrum

Or encourage small (1 or maybe 2 bed) homes to be built in areas of the country, mostly rural, where currently there are literally zero opportuities to buy anything smaller than 3-bedroomed detached houses.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Housing Crisis on 02:40 - Sep 22 with 793 viewsRyorry

Of course he shouldn't feel guilty - what a preposterous notion - let me guess, he was elderly? Because it's often widowed or divorced/separated people, whose youngsters have flown the nest, who are left in this situation. And age-ism seems to be a thing recently too, with over-60s frequently being blamed for Brexit.

Housing Crisis on 02:44 - Sep 22 with 792 viewsRyorry

Housing Crisis on 17:45 - Sep 21 by No9

Using the same theory why should a row of houses (say 10) pay the same as the Lord of the manor when it takes 2 to 3 times longer to empty his bins and, he has a load of vehicles that don't pay any road tax?

Using ridiculous extremes as examples doesn't help!

Login to get fewer ads

Housing Crisis on 02:46 - Sep 22 with 792 viewsRyorry

Housing Crisis on 17:34 - Sep 21 by chicoazul

I agree is is a bit communistic but it makes quite a bit of sense.

It seems to me that there are only a couple of alternatives both of which are highly radical in themselves; control population growth or build many many more houses. What's your solution?

Would you put a cap (ho ho) on a couple having 10 kids if they were good parents and could afford to look after them well?

Housing Crisis on 03:06 - Sep 22 with 788 viewsSpruceMoose

Housing Crisis on 02:46 - Sep 22 by Ryorry

Would you put a cap (ho ho) on a couple having 10 kids if they were good parents and could afford to look after them well?

Well, it's not ideal in an environmental sense...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Housing Crisis on 03:19 - Sep 22 with 787 viewsRyorry

Housing Crisis on 03:06 - Sep 22 by SpruceMoose

Well, it's not ideal in an environmental sense...

Was my consideration too. However, some may point to what, iirc offhand without searching, are declining growths in population, and whether there'll be enough youngsters around in 30 years to pay taxes to support the NHS etc, not to mention wipe our bottoms

Housing Crisis on 04:39 - Sep 22 with 770 viewsjeera

Of course not. The very idea is beyond fecking ridiculous.

There are a hundred reasons for the shortage of housing and not one of them is complicated in isolation. (Mostly tied to greed).

That a number of people are fortunate enough to own their own homes is not one of them.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024