Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? 10:11 - Nov 6 with 3333 viewsgiant_stow

Is it very competitive or is it a case of whoever can be bothered gets elected?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:22 - Nov 6 with 3313 viewsSteve_M

I think it depends very much on the individual school and thus the inclination of the parents.
However, if you think you could do it then put your name forward for it and see how you get on.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:25 - Nov 6 with 3308 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:22 - Nov 6 by Steve_M

I think it depends very much on the individual school and thus the inclination of the parents.
However, if you think you could do it then put your name forward for it and see how you get on.

Cheers Steve - only toying with the idea, but it appears there's a vacancy and I need to do something worthwhile.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:26 - Nov 6 with 3309 viewssoupytwist

I was elected as a parent governor at my local primary school about 9 years ago. I’m still a governor now (albeit a co-opted one, not a parent governor). How difficult it will be to get elected varies massively from school to school and depends on how engaged the parent body is. I was up against three others for two vacancies and managed to win thanks to a half way coherent statement in support of my application that was published in the school newsletter. I’ve no idea how many people voted, I suspect not many.

It’s very rewarding but you do need to make sure that you can devote the time to it. Also it is not an opportunity for you as a parent to pursue any particular hobby horses you might have, especially as far as your own children are concerned.

Over the time I’ve been a governor, the demands on your time have increased dramatically and the responsibility can be a bit daunting. However, if you’re going into a well organised governing body you’ll be fine as long as you do the training and take it seriously. When my next 4 year term is up I won’t be carrying on, and if we change to academy status before then I will take that opportunity to bow out.

If you have any specific questions drop me a PM and I’ll do my best to answer them.
Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:32 - Nov 6 with 3284 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:26 - Nov 6 by soupytwist

I was elected as a parent governor at my local primary school about 9 years ago. I’m still a governor now (albeit a co-opted one, not a parent governor). How difficult it will be to get elected varies massively from school to school and depends on how engaged the parent body is. I was up against three others for two vacancies and managed to win thanks to a half way coherent statement in support of my application that was published in the school newsletter. I’ve no idea how many people voted, I suspect not many.

It’s very rewarding but you do need to make sure that you can devote the time to it. Also it is not an opportunity for you as a parent to pursue any particular hobby horses you might have, especially as far as your own children are concerned.

Over the time I’ve been a governor, the demands on your time have increased dramatically and the responsibility can be a bit daunting. However, if you’re going into a well organised governing body you’ll be fine as long as you do the training and take it seriously. When my next 4 year term is up I won’t be carrying on, and if we change to academy status before then I will take that opportunity to bow out.

If you have any specific questions drop me a PM and I’ll do my best to answer them.

That's very kind of you - appreciated.

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 11:57 - Nov 6 with 3236 viewsFixed_It

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:25 - Nov 6 by giant_stow

Cheers Steve - only toying with the idea, but it appears there's a vacancy and I need to do something worthwhile.

Even if you don't get elected, it's the taking part that counts. But then, you are very aware of that already.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 11:59 - Nov 6 with 3233 viewschicoazul

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 10:25 - Nov 6 by giant_stow

"I need to do something worthwhile."

Have you tried supporting a decent football club?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:02 - Nov 6 with 3217 viewshoppy

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 11:59 - Nov 6 by chicoazul

Give him time, Lambert’s only just started. We all know Ulla is a blue...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:03 - Nov 6 with 3215 viewshoppy

You’ll have a distinct advantage if it comes to a show of hands...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:25 - Nov 6 with 3179 viewsVic

Ullaa - you put up with some stick on here! (Rightly so I have to add)

I've been a governor of my local primary school for about 8 years and am currently vice chair. I'd defo encourage you to go for it if you want to contribute something. I'd say you need to think about it as a medium term commitment - at least two 4 year terms as it takes a while to get up to speed with everything. You see a very different side of school life and have a much greater handle on why things are done as they are. My respect for teachers, especially senior teachers has gone up hugely as a result.

PS - feel free to PM if you want.

You need to be prepared to give time for meetings and visits to the school during school time for things like 'learning walks' (you'll soon enough find out what they are!), plus some training events - I go on at least 2 per year. All of these things are pretty much mandatory for all governors

You will be probably allocated an area of responsibility - maybe finance, facilities, Special education needs (SEN), Pupil Premium (How the school spends the additional money they get for disadvantaged children (that's my area), Curriculum (whats actually being taught, etc.

Our school is part of a MAT (Multi Academy Trust) and our governor responsibilities are less than they were before we converted. However, to do the role well does take time and you have to be willing to get to gips with a lot of info, data, etc.

Lastly - the governors role is not to make decisions (usually) - it's much more about being the critical friend to the school staff. You get to here what they are doing and why. You are expected to ask the probing and difficult questions to keep them on the straight and narrow. Things like - Why are the children in class x consistently under performing? What are you doing to address that? etc. At the end of the day, the govenrors are held responsible in law for the success or otherwise of the school! It;s not a position to be taken lightly!

Hope this is helpful and doesn't put you off! Go for it and find out!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 12:26]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:49 - Nov 6 with 3135 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 11:57 - Nov 6 by Fixed_It

Even if you don't get elected, it's the taking part that counts. But then, you are very aware of that already.

bully

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:49 - Nov 6 with 3133 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 11:59 - Nov 6 by chicoazul

bullier

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:53 - Nov 6 with 3121 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 12:25 - Nov 6 by Vic

Ullaa - you put up with some stick on here! (Rightly so I have to add)

I've been a governor of my local primary school for about 8 years and am currently vice chair. I'd defo encourage you to go for it if you want to contribute something. I'd say you need to think about it as a medium term commitment - at least two 4 year terms as it takes a while to get up to speed with everything. You see a very different side of school life and have a much greater handle on why things are done as they are. My respect for teachers, especially senior teachers has gone up hugely as a result.

PS - feel free to PM if you want.

You need to be prepared to give time for meetings and visits to the school during school time for things like 'learning walks' (you'll soon enough find out what they are!), plus some training events - I go on at least 2 per year. All of these things are pretty much mandatory for all governors

You will be probably allocated an area of responsibility - maybe finance, facilities, Special education needs (SEN), Pupil Premium (How the school spends the additional money they get for disadvantaged children (that's my area), Curriculum (whats actually being taught, etc.

Our school is part of a MAT (Multi Academy Trust) and our governor responsibilities are less than they were before we converted. However, to do the role well does take time and you have to be willing to get to gips with a lot of info, data, etc.

Lastly - the governors role is not to make decisions (usually) - it's much more about being the critical friend to the school staff. You get to here what they are doing and why. You are expected to ask the probing and difficult questions to keep them on the straight and narrow. Things like - Why are the children in class x consistently under performing? What are you doing to address that? etc. At the end of the day, the govenrors are held responsible in law for the success or otherwise of the school! It;s not a position to be taken lightly!

Hope this is helpful and doesn't put you off! Go for it and find out!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 12:26]

Thanks Vic, that's all really handy info - gives a nice feel for the role. Interesting what you say about areas of responsibility and being a critical friend. Interesting that both you and mr Twist talk of it being a medium term commitment. Much appreciated.

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 14:57 - Nov 6 with 3074 viewshampstead_blue

It's politics at a local scale and can be really bitchy. I can only talk from the schools which my boy's have attended.

I was a school Governor at my boys primary school in Hampstead.
I got in as the Tory representative. Fine as I'm a member. Problem was that in Hampstead at the time most of the teachers were lefties and my post came with a cold seat!

Didn't bother me.

Do it if you can as it's a good thing to do. Beware of the petty politics which come along with it.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 14:59]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 15:09 - Nov 6 with 3054 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 14:57 - Nov 6 by hampstead_blue

It's politics at a local scale and can be really bitchy. I can only talk from the schools which my boy's have attended.

I got in as the Tory representative. Fine as I'm a member. Problem was that in Hampstead at the time most of the teachers were lefties and my post came with a cold seat!

Didn't bother me.

Do it if you can as it's a good thing to do. Beware of the petty politics which come along with it.

thanks for the tip - hadn't considered that it might get political. interesting.

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 16:05 - Nov 6 with 3029 viewsBluefish

I am a school governor now in 5th year, I did my original 4 year stint as a parent governor and then after my kids left offered to stand down but I was persuaded to stay on and now they have asked me to become chair. It can take up time but is a great insight to the school, it largely runs itself but they appreciate your support.

I was asked to consider putting my name forward by the head and then it went to a vote for the parents, somehow I scraped in. Still got no idea how that happened.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 16:13 - Nov 6 with 3016 viewsDeano69

More accountable than people give it credit for

i assume you have read something like this?

https://www.nga.org.uk/Be-a-Governor.aspx

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 16:30 - Nov 6 with 2998 viewsRob88

I won’t repeat what everyone else has said but I would add that I recommend you go and observe some governors meetings, both full govs and committee meetings.

Get a feel for the school, the senior leaders and governors. You will have a better appreciation of what’s involved and what you are walking into.

I started 2 years ago and the time commitment far exceeds what I was led to believe, I don’t think this is typical as the school has had and still faces challenges and is going through some significant change.

There are pros and cons to prolonged service at a single school and their can be benefit to moving around (obviously not too frequently).

Edit: I can’t speak for the Ipswich district but where I am there certainly isn’t an abundance of people forthcoming to be governors.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 16:33]
Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 17:09 - Nov 6 with 2960 viewshampstead_blue

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 15:09 - Nov 6 by giant_stow

thanks for the tip - hadn't considered that it might get political. interesting.

my caveat is that all schools are different.

Hampstead wasn't ready for a rough as rats Essex boy Tory type. Had fun ruffling them up

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 17:24 - Nov 6 with 2948 viewsVic

Has anyone here ever tried to be elected as a School Governor ? on 14:57 - Nov 6 by hampstead_blue

Didn't bother me.

A ‘Tory Representative’? What on earth is one of those? I’ve never, ever heard of such a thing. Maybe your situation or school is different but around here (ipswich) it’s nothing to do with politics at all!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024