Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the most overrated band ever? 16:20 - Nov 8 with 32677 viewsGeoffSentence

It's The Beatles.

Upon reflection I realise that this is a pointless post as there is no discussion to be had.

Sorry about that.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

the most overrated band ever? on 17:18 - Nov 8 with 2806 viewshoppy

the most overrated band ever? on 16:57 - Nov 8 by StuartBrett8

I once met Ed Sheeran ;)

Fair cop...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

the most overrated band ever? on 17:19 - Nov 8 with 2806 viewsblueislander

the most overrated band ever? on 17:10 - Nov 8 by PJH

They were aimed at selling singles which was the idea at the time.

Surprised to see that you are actually slightly older than me but you do not rate The Beatles,as you said in your earlier post, opinion.

The Kinks were my favourite band back then but I still liked The Beatles but I think that I have appreciated The Beatles even more over the years than I did back then.

As a teenager in the early and mid 60s my favourite band was The Spencer Davis Group who were frequent visitors to Bluesville at The Manor Ballroom. The Beatles' legacy stretches beyond that of any band except arguably The Rolling Stones.
the most overrated band ever? on 17:19 - Nov 8 with 2803 viewsjeera

the most overrated band ever? on 17:14 - Nov 8 by bluefunk

No such thing as a teeny bopper market in 1963,

Quite.

People are completely over-looking the relevance of the time period.

Clearly a lot of One direction fans on this thread though!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

the most overrated band ever? on 17:21 - Nov 8 with 2793 viewsStuartBrett8

the most overrated band ever? on 17:17 - Nov 8 by PJH

Just re-read your first post, I thought that you were tearing their music apart but now I understand.

Still surprised that you are slightly older than me though!

edit-it has just pointed out to me that you are NOT older than me.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 17:19]

I was minus 14 in 63.. Born in 1977 lol

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

the most overrated band ever? on 17:23 - Nov 8 with 2789 viewsfactual_blue

They're certainly not the prodigy, that's for sure.

And for that, we can all be thankful.

And you're wrong anyway.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

the most overrated band ever? on 17:23 - Nov 8 with 2790 viewsPJH

the most overrated band ever? on 17:19 - Nov 8 by blueislander

As a teenager in the early and mid 60s my favourite band was The Spencer Davis Group who were frequent visitors to Bluesville at The Manor Ballroom. The Beatles' legacy stretches beyond that of any band except arguably The Rolling Stones.

Whilst I have got you here I am going to see The Manfreds(Manfred Mann without Manfred Mann basically)next Tuesday.
Never seen them before although I liked their music, have you ever seen them?
the most overrated band ever? on 17:26 - Nov 8 with 2777 viewsGlasgowBlue

the most overrated band ever? on 16:36 - Nov 8 by GeoffSentence

I surely do.

Never has a band be more overrated.I

Exhibit 1

Obla-di, obla-da

Obla-di, obla-dais a decent pop song, not even released as a single. It doesn't pretend to be anything else.

But it shares the same album as Helter Skelter, Revolution, Dear Prudence, Blackbird, Whilst My Guitar Gently Weeps, Glass Onion, Happiness is a warm Gun, Back in the USSR, to name just a few.

I doubt there is another band in the world who have such a diverse catalogue that was recorded over just seven years.

Imagine a band releasing a basic beat song such as Love Me Do and within 4 years were releasing Strawberry Fields Forever.

They have influenced more bands that came after them than any other band. Whether it be the Chemical Brothers, The Jam or Oasis.

Citing Obla-di, obla-da is like saying Bowie was crap because of the Laughing Gnome or Underground.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

the most overrated band ever? on 17:27 - Nov 8 with 2778 viewsblueislander

the most overrated band ever? on 17:23 - Nov 8 by PJH

Whilst I have got you here I am going to see The Manfreds(Manfred Mann without Manfred Mann basically)next Tuesday.
Never seen them before although I liked their music, have you ever seen them?

Yes, but around 50 years ago. Paul Jones in his pomp.!
Login to get fewer ads

the most overrated band ever? on 17:28 - Nov 8 with 2772 viewsGlasgowBlue

the most overrated band ever? on 16:42 - Nov 8 by StuartBrett8

They were a great live band that got signed and turned into a cheesy pop band, If they were a new band now all the serious musicians would call them a novelty act and write them off. They wrote their best stuff when the group was falling apart... just my opinion of course.

They were hardly falling apart when they recorded Revolver, or Sgt Pepper. Even the White Album which is seen as the begging of the end was recorded in reasonable harmony.

Iron Lion Zion

the most overrated band ever? on 17:30 - Nov 8 with 2764 viewsGlasgowBlue

the most overrated band ever? on 17:03 - Nov 8 by blueislander

No. The early stuff is not for tenny boppers. It was R&B . Listen to with the Beatles and you will see their influences.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 17:08]

Indeed. When the Beatles came on the scene Rock and Roll had been neutered and the music of the day was very safe like Cliff's the Young Ones. The Beatles brought a bit of edge back to pop music on their early albums, which may seem tame by today's standards.

Iron Lion Zion

the most overrated band ever? on 17:31 - Nov 8 with 2761 viewsfactual_blue

the most overrated band ever? on 17:19 - Nov 8 by jeera

Quite.

People are completely over-looking the relevance of the time period.

Clearly a lot of One direction fans on this thread though!

As Bob Geldof pointed out that somebody who can write the line 'Take these sunken eyes and learn to see' is a song-writing genius.

On the subject of the same song, Donovan tells that on The Beatles trip to India (which he was also on) Paul McCartney asked him about the clawhammer style of guitar playing he (Donovan) used. Donovan outlined it to him.

The next day McCartney appeared, having written Blackbird.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

the most overrated band ever? on 17:33 - Nov 8 with 2753 viewsPJH

the most overrated band ever? on 17:27 - Nov 8 by blueislander

Yes, but around 50 years ago. Paul Jones in his pomp.!

Paul Jones and Mike D'Abo are with them now so I suppose they share the lead singing.

Georgie Fame also on the bill,never seen him before either.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 17:35]
the most overrated band ever? on 17:37 - Nov 8 with 2735 viewsblueislander

the most overrated band ever? on 17:33 - Nov 8 by PJH

Paul Jones and Mike D'Abo are with them now so I suppose they share the lead singing.

Georgie Fame also on the bill,never seen him before either.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 17:35]

Georgie Fame also frequently came to Bluesville with his Blue Flames.
the most overrated band ever? on 17:38 - Nov 8 with 2730 viewsGlasgowBlue

the most overrated band ever? on 17:10 - Nov 8 by PJH

They were aimed at selling singles which was the idea at the time.

Surprised to see that you are actually slightly older than me but you do not rate The Beatles,as you said in your earlier post, opinion.

The Kinks were my favourite band back then but I still liked The Beatles but I think that I have appreciated The Beatles even more over the years than I did back then.

They were one of the few bands that actually made albums and then not release singles from them.

They didn't release any singles from With the Beatles, Beatles For Sale, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper or the White Album, despite those albums containing songs like All My Loving, Eight Days a Week, Nowhere Man, Norwegian Wood, Drive My Car, Michelle, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, A Day in the Life, With a Little Help from My Friends, Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence etc.

Most of their contemporaries would have killed for songs like those to release as singles.

Incredible to think that they released Rubber Soul with all the the killer tracks on it and then just a few weeks later release a double A-Side of Daytripper/We Can Work it Out.

Iron Lion Zion

the most overrated band ever? on 17:42 - Nov 8 with 2714 viewsblueislander

the most overrated band ever? on 17:30 - Nov 8 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. When the Beatles came on the scene Rock and Roll had been neutered and the music of the day was very safe like Cliff's the Young Ones. The Beatles brought a bit of edge back to pop music on their early albums, which may seem tame by today's standards.

Cliff Richard made the best pure rock 'n roll British record imo.
the most overrated band ever? on 17:45 - Nov 8 with 2705 viewsRadlett_blue

the most overrated band ever? on 17:37 - Nov 8 by blueislander

Georgie Fame also frequently came to Bluesville with his Blue Flames.

I saw Georgie Fame play live in 1979. I thought he was pretty old then!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

the most overrated band ever? on 17:46 - Nov 8 with 2709 viewsWeWereZombies

Inevitably when you cite a band you think is overrated someone points out, or your pondering reveals to you just what you have not been getting in their music. So I expect to have a sudden conversion to REM in the next couple of hours.

I cannot help but think that all previous posts in this thread are actually bands that have become unfashionable rather than overrated. I saw U2 a couple of times, just before and just after the release of 'Boy', stunning amount of energy and dynamics for a basic line up. Same with Muse and a bit less so with Foo Fighters but that extra guitar is put to such good use. All three bands very uplifting, you leave the gig buzzing and hear new depths when you play the albums. As for regarding tThe Beatles as overrated, you might as well claim that The Beach Boys couldn't sing.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

the most overrated band ever? on 17:48 - Nov 8 with 2693 viewsPJH

the most overrated band ever? on 17:38 - Nov 8 by GlasgowBlue

They were one of the few bands that actually made albums and then not release singles from them.

They didn't release any singles from With the Beatles, Beatles For Sale, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper or the White Album, despite those albums containing songs like All My Loving, Eight Days a Week, Nowhere Man, Norwegian Wood, Drive My Car, Michelle, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, A Day in the Life, With a Little Help from My Friends, Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence etc.

Most of their contemporaries would have killed for songs like those to release as singles.

Incredible to think that they released Rubber Soul with all the the killer tracks on it and then just a few weeks later release a double A-Side of Daytripper/We Can Work it Out.

Although in 1963 and thereabouts almost all albums consisted of a current hit single,maybe a B side and about a dozen cover versions of Chuck Berry etc but Please Please Me has got 8 of the 14 tracks self composed.

As I have said before, Rubber Soul is my all time favourite Beatles album.
the most overrated band ever? on 17:52 - Nov 8 with 2682 viewsPJH

the most overrated band ever? on 17:45 - Nov 8 by Radlett_blue

I saw Georgie Fame play live in 1979. I thought he was pretty old then!

He is slightly older now(75 actually).

In the last 12 months I have seen Gerry Marsden on his farewell tour,The Searchers who are finishing and P J Proby on his farewell tour-they still know/knew how to make music.
the most overrated band ever? on 17:57 - Nov 8 with 2665 viewsPJH

the most overrated band ever? on 17:42 - Nov 8 by blueislander

Although possibly challenged by Johnny Kidd with Shakin All Over.

(As previously discussed)
the most overrated band ever? on 17:58 - Nov 8 with 2661 viewsBrixtonBlue

the most overrated band ever? on 17:46 - Nov 8 by WeWereZombies

Inevitably when you cite a band you think is overrated someone points out, or your pondering reveals to you just what you have not been getting in their music. So I expect to have a sudden conversion to REM in the next couple of hours.

I cannot help but think that all previous posts in this thread are actually bands that have become unfashionable rather than overrated. I saw U2 a couple of times, just before and just after the release of 'Boy', stunning amount of energy and dynamics for a basic line up. Same with Muse and a bit less so with Foo Fighters but that extra guitar is put to such good use. All three bands very uplifting, you leave the gig buzzing and hear new depths when you play the albums. As for regarding tThe Beatles as overrated, you might as well claim that The Beach Boys couldn't sing.

Anyone who cites Muse as overrated hasn't seen them live.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

the most overrated band ever? on 17:59 - Nov 8 with 2654 viewsGlasgowBlue

the most overrated band ever? on 17:42 - Nov 8 by blueislander

He did indeed. But by 62/63 you could play Cliff alongside Percy Faith quite easily. Elvis was never the same after he went in the army and the Joe Meek stable was producing a less rebellious form of Rock and Roll.

Iron Lion Zion

the most overrated band ever? on 18:01 - Nov 8 with 2653 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Bee Gees.

In terms of solo artists, David Bowie and Elton John.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

the most overrated band ever? on 18:01 - Nov 8 with 2653 viewsblueislander

the most overrated band ever? on 17:57 - Nov 8 by PJH

Although possibly challenged by Johnny Kidd with Shakin All Over.

(As previously discussed)

Yep.
the most overrated band ever? on 18:02 - Nov 8 with 2646 viewsPJH

the most overrated band ever? on 18:01 - Nov 8 by blueislander

Yep.

and Tommy Steele with Little White Bull?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024