Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For 17:50 - Nov 24 with 6487 viewsStEdmundBlue

The current plight has predictably brought the “be careful what you wish for” brigade to the fore on a regular basis.

But despite our perilous position, I still firmly believe it was the right decision to end McCarthy’s tenure at the club.

To outsiders, it seems insane but the majority of those who visited Portman Road regularly under his management, particularly towards the end, will have a very different opinion.

To be clear, I was not a McCarthy hater. I think he did a good job of keeping us competitive while working with very little in the way of resources.

However, if I’m being honest, I can’t say I ever really enjoyed watching Town play in his reign.

Even at its best - the 2014/15 play-off season - I still watched some pretty ordinary football. At its worst, to coin an old Tommy Docherty phrase, if they were playing in my front garden I would have closed the curtains.

I’m not sure I’ll look back at his time in charge with the fondness I do with Lyall, Burley, Royle and to a point - Magilton in my time of watching the Blues.

The “be careful what you wish for” (BCWYWF) claim that Mick was hounded out by “a small minority of fans and the local media” is utter nonsense.

Truth is, in his final days, we were lucky if we got 10,000 supporters inside Portman Road. So I would say it was rather a larger number of fans who were unhappy with the man in charge than his disciples care to admit.

A small minority may have been the only ones voicing their disapproval but the empty seats in the stadium spoke their own words.

I also think the “local media” the BCWYWFs’ constantly point the finger at, which is presumably the EADT/Star, its columnists and Radio Suffolk, would be flattered to think they wielded such power.

This has all been said before of course, and in much greater depth in newspaper columns, websites and this very forum.

Which is why my rallying cry to the BCWYWF gang is a criticism often labelled at Ipswich supporters - stop living in the past and move on.

Would we be in this position under McCarthy? Maybe not but where would we be? 15th and playing in front of 12,000 fans if we were lucky.

The “should never have got rid of Mick” line is almost as tedious as some of the games we endured during his spell in charge.

He’s gone and - in case you hadn’t noticed - no-one’s given him a job since.

I’ve met BCWYWFs’ who seem to revel in every defeat so they can hit the message boards with their “told you so” attitudes. Relegation might send one or two into overdrive.

Would it be too much of an ask to focus our energy on getting behind Paul Lambert and his team when they really need us?

No-one wants to go down, least of all Marcus Evans, which why I think Lambert will be backed in the January transfer market and we might stand a chance of staying in the division.

But it will take everyone to pull together if that is to be achieved.

Fans can make a difference, and yes that includes you Mr BCWYWF.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 17:57]
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 11:31 - Nov 27 with 1265 viewsTNBlue

Getting rid of Mick wasnt the problem. The mistake was replacing him with Paul Hurst.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 11:31 - Nov 27 with 1265 viewsOxford_Blue

It’s very clear that MM over achieved with the team at his disposal and that he was able to retain the likes of Webter, Garner and Waghorn, possibly as they thought they would benefit from being managed and coached by him. MM also had a lot of experience.

His decision to leave is a primary cause of why we are likely to be relegated. On that assumption, was it still for the best?
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 11:49 - Nov 27 with 1251 viewsbritbiker

I really dont think there are that many BCWYWF posters who id recognise a true supporters.
I understood what Mick did for us but I was also truly bored.
Im more optimistic now but only time will tell if we can at least become a team that others really fear rather than boring the arse off everyone.
There will always be people on these forums and in life that only see the negative in things. Most probably wont go to more than the odd glory match, however you only need a couple of them to comment and people take that as a general consensus.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 23:39]
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 12:19 - Nov 27 with 1240 viewsmarcus1642

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 20:27 - Nov 24 by BlueBadger

Show us on the doll where the nasty Yorkshireman touched you.

Right here HCA Bluebadger, he fiddled with my hopes and dreams of a successful Ipswich Town, playing fluent, attacking football. Whilst grinning and laughing at my child like innocents.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 13:58 - Nov 27 with 1216 viewsOxford_Blue

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 08:52 - Nov 27 by rickw

The differences are:
On Friday night 22,000 watched us mildly entertain in a 2-1 defeat whilst at bottom of the league.
If Mick was in charge probably 11,000 would have been bored whilst we scrapped out a 0-0 draw from a safe league position.

The only reason 22,000 turned up was because of tickets being dramatically reduced.

Let’s see if 22,000 turn up on weds shall we?
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:32 - Nov 27 with 1198 viewsNo9

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 11:28 - Nov 27 by J4ck22

In what universe is Mick regarded as only marginally better than Jewell?

By % results= sad isn't it?
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:39 - Nov 27 with 1196 viewsMullet

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 09:40 - Nov 27 by No9

If you are correct, football isn't for most of us. In reality MM's record at Town isn't very good= marginaly better the PJ who is classed as being a disaster and Town's home record under MM can only be described as substandard - If you believe the league doesn't lie that show's his teams only ever achieved more than an average of 2 points p.g. oncemostly it was circa 1.6 points - no one should consider that good.

You think most football fans, lest Town fans can't see Mick did a great job here? For real?

If is a big word, but totally correct here. He was right, his critics were wrong. We're bottom of the league and realising what keeping us in it means has clearly sharpened the focus of the dwindling number still living in a fantasy.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:42 - Nov 27 with 1192 viewsNo9

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:39 - Nov 27 by Mullet

You think most football fans, lest Town fans can't see Mick did a great job here? For real?

If is a big word, but totally correct here. He was right, his critics were wrong. We're bottom of the league and realising what keeping us in it means has clearly sharpened the focus of the dwindling number still living in a fantasy.

OK but, do I need to remind you MM teams onl one one game after New Year?
& have you looked at his home form - all season?
Football is a game about winning, IF your team can't win at home it means they are NOT very good.
Login to get fewer ads

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:43 - Nov 27 with 1187 viewsMullet

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:42 - Nov 27 by No9

OK but, do I need to remind you MM teams onl one one game after New Year?
& have you looked at his home form - all season?
Football is a game about winning, IF your team can't win at home it means they are NOT very good.

You don't need to remind me of anything.

Still sticking to him being not very good?

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:46 - Nov 27 with 1188 viewsNo9

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:43 - Nov 27 by Mullet

You don't need to remind me of anything.

Still sticking to him being not very good?

To repeat look at the home form of his Town teams
Most 'Owners' would have sacked him a while ago
I'm not sure how you can defend such a bad home record
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:49 - Nov 27 with 1184 viewsSpruceMoose

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:46 - Nov 27 by No9

Probably because he never, ever, came closed to getting us in the kind of mess we find ourselves in currently.

"Get someone young in" they said. "We want hungry lower level players not experienced Championship dinosaurs!" they cried. "Anything would be better than this!" they wailed.

Well we got all that. And they were wrong. And now we are sh!t.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 17:50]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:50 - Nov 27 with 1177 viewsMullet

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:46 - Nov 27 by No9

Give me the stats on his home form 2012 to 2018 then.

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:59 - Nov 27 with 1160 viewsNo9

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:50 - Nov 27 by Mullet

Give me the stats on his home form 2012 to 2018 then.

I posted them the other day.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:01 - Nov 27 with 1154 viewsMullet

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:59 - Nov 27 by No9

I posted them the other day.

Should be easy to find then..... of you pop

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:02 - Nov 27 with 1152 viewsSpruceMoose

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:01 - Nov 27 by Mullet

Should be easy to find then..... of you pop

Just had a quick look. Got to page five of his previous posts when I gave up.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:08 - Nov 27 with 1106 viewsronnyd

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:14 - Nov 24 by Swn98

it would appear that MM is going to be appointed the republic of Ireland manager not bad for an old dinosaur that knows nothing about football ugwuwf.

Shouldn,t it be "ygwywf"?
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 23:19]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024