Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Lucerne... 11:19 - Dec 7 with 3466 viewsKieran_Knows

... in Switzerland, and Mount Pilatus in particular? Heading there next August for a few days and have read a trip to Mount Pilatus is a must do.

Anyone got any hotels to recommend? I've got the flights booked, just looking at where's best to stay now. I've found a budget Ibis Hotel which seems perfect for what we want, but anyone had any experience with Ibis Hotels (although appreciate they all vary from City to City!).

Cheers.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:29 - Dec 7 with 3444 viewshatch

I went for a day trip once from Zurich a few years ago. Can't really advise much but very pretty and has one of the largest watch shops I have ever seen.
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:32 - Dec 7 with 3441 viewsmkbobby

I,m off to Lucerne in may of next year on a business trip all I know is you cannot fly direct from uk , haven't been given our hotel of stay as of yet but will let you know when I have visited if that's any help to you
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:33 - Dec 7 with 3438 viewsKieran_Knows

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:32 - Dec 7 by mkbobby

I,m off to Lucerne in may of next year on a business trip all I know is you cannot fly direct from uk , haven't been given our hotel of stay as of yet but will let you know when I have visited if that's any help to you

We're flying to Zurich, then its about an hour and a half on the train down to Lucerne.

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:34 - Dec 7 with 3434 viewsKieran_Knows

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:29 - Dec 7 by hatch

I went for a day trip once from Zurich a few years ago. Can't really advise much but very pretty and has one of the largest watch shops I have ever seen.

Cheers. Seems plenty to do with the trip up to Mount Pilatus and seeing the Old Town and stuff (we're only there 3 days).

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 11:40 - Dec 7 with 3459 viewsFixed_It

I can't add to this, apart from saying that I once got the wrong train from Zurich and ended up going to Berne (it was non-stop Inter City). Although a bit miffed, I thought at least I'll get to see more of this beautiful country.

Zurich to Berne is about as interesting as Ipswich to Felixstowe. But further.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 13:15 - Dec 7 with 3390 viewsJonBlue

I went to Lucerne for the day in July a few years back, very pretty, very expensive and full of Italians when I went, worth visiting though for the old town and lake. I travelled down by train from Zurich. Funnily enough I stayed at the Ibis Zurich. I've stayed in a few Ibis hotels around Europe and they are all pretty basic but clean and OK for the money you pay.

If you haven't visited Switzerland before remember that they have a different electrical system to the rest of mainland Europe so you'll need a special adapter to plug in any equipment you may have.
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 13:43 - Dec 7 with 3367 viewsKieran_Knows

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 13:15 - Dec 7 by JonBlue

I went to Lucerne for the day in July a few years back, very pretty, very expensive and full of Italians when I went, worth visiting though for the old town and lake. I travelled down by train from Zurich. Funnily enough I stayed at the Ibis Zurich. I've stayed in a few Ibis hotels around Europe and they are all pretty basic but clean and OK for the money you pay.

If you haven't visited Switzerland before remember that they have a different electrical system to the rest of mainland Europe so you'll need a special adapter to plug in any equipment you may have.

Cheers. When you say expensive, is that eating out and stuff?

I had read about the different adapter plug. I presume this would be okay? They also use Swiss Franc's more than the Euro?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switzerland-Plug-Adapter-aPlug-Lightweight-Black/dp/B01

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:13 - Dec 7 with 3342 viewsFixed_It

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 13:43 - Dec 7 by Kieran_Knows

I had read about the different adapter plug. I presume this would be okay? They also use Swiss Franc's more than the Euro?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switzerland-Plug-Adapter-aPlug-Lightweight-Black/dp/B01

My son lives out there. Everything is expensive. Makes me laugh when people hold Switzerland up as a successful economy that we could model ourselves on after Brexit. Successful maybe - but they can keep their prices. My son will often drive over the border to Germany if he has any major purchases to make...

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:18 - Dec 7 with 3330 viewsKieran_Knows

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:13 - Dec 7 by Fixed_It

My son lives out there. Everything is expensive. Makes me laugh when people hold Switzerland up as a successful economy that we could model ourselves on after Brexit. Successful maybe - but they can keep their prices. My son will often drive over the border to Germany if he has any major purchases to make...

Cheers for the info. Not really sure we'll be buying much out there other than evening meals. We've got a trip we want to do (Along the lake and then up the Mountain), which having read reviews people say is well worth the money (around £80 I think).

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:23 - Dec 7 with 3325 viewsFixed_It

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:18 - Dec 7 by Kieran_Knows

Cheers for the info. Not really sure we'll be buying much out there other than evening meals. We've got a trip we want to do (Along the lake and then up the Mountain), which having read reviews people say is well worth the money (around £80 I think).

Eating out isn't cheap. Think of London prices then add some. Beautiful country though, and the younger generation all speak pretty good English. Trip sounds good. I'm sure you'll love it.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:26 - Dec 7 with 3321 viewsbluelagos

They take Euros on a 1-1 basis with Euros - which is a bit of a rip off.

It is ridiculously expensive tbh. This summer we paid close to 30 Euros for a sausage, chips and coke.

L Lucerne stunning. We were on motorbikes so enjoyed it all the more.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:52 - Dec 7 with 3297 viewsCrawfordsboot

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:26 - Dec 7 by bluelagos

They take Euros on a 1-1 basis with Euros - which is a bit of a rip off.

It is ridiculously expensive tbh. This summer we paid close to 30 Euros for a sausage, chips and coke.

L Lucerne stunning. We were on motorbikes so enjoyed it all the more.

Did they float?
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:58 - Dec 7 with 3292 viewsbluelagos

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:52 - Dec 7 by Crawfordsboot

Did they float?

Should have called in at yours given the sodding cost of everything in Switz mate :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 15:11 - Dec 7 with 3286 viewsJonBlue

Yes, as others have said Switzerland in general is expensive and I think the locals see Lucerne as an upmarket lake resort so all touristy type stuff like meals, drinks and gifts are pricy. Still a lovely place to go but be prepared to shell out more there than you would back in Blighty.

The adapter you linked to looks correct, three round pins fairly close together.

Yes, Swiss Francs rather than Euros. Some places accept Euros but not everywhere.
Anyone been to Lucerne... (n/t) on 15:21 - Dec 7 with 3272 viewsVic

[Post edited 7 Dec 2018 15:25]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 15:24 - Dec 7 with 3270 viewsKieran_Knows

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 15:11 - Dec 7 by JonBlue

Yes, as others have said Switzerland in general is expensive and I think the locals see Lucerne as an upmarket lake resort so all touristy type stuff like meals, drinks and gifts are pricy. Still a lovely place to go but be prepared to shell out more there than you would back in Blighty.

The adapter you linked to looks correct, three round pins fairly close together.

Yes, Swiss Francs rather than Euros. Some places accept Euros but not everywhere.

Cheers again for the info. We're only going to be there 3 nights, so hopefully won't be THAT expensive. If all else fails, there's a McDonalds around the corner from our hotel apparently, so that should do!

On the whole though, the most expensive part of our trip will be the lake and mountain day, then we'll spend the next day walking around the old Town etc, so hopefully we'll be able to keep costs down.

Cheers all, information much appreciated.

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 17:40 - Dec 7 with 3192 viewsBinner

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:13 - Dec 7 by Fixed_It

"Makes me laugh when people hold Switzerland up as a successful economy that we could model ourselves on after Brexit."

It makes me laugh, too, what with Switzerland being in the Single Market.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 19:07 - Dec 7 with 3160 viewsCrawfordsboot

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 17:40 - Dec 7 by Binner

"Makes me laugh when people hold Switzerland up as a successful economy that we could model ourselves on after Brexit."

It makes me laugh, too, what with Switzerland being in the Single Market.

I live in Switzerland and can’t help but be amused by some of the comments about prices. Yes prices are high compared to elsewhere in Europe but then so are wages.
The average Swiss has a high standard of living and will end up with a good pension. Health care is excellent. Life expectancy is I think the highest in Europe.
What’s not to like.
Yes the economy is artificial. Farming receives huge subsidies to keep the countryside manicured for the tourist industry and to keep small rural communities viable Tourism, precision engineering and finance fund the country.
☃️❄️❄️⛷🎿🏂
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 19:24 - Dec 7 with 3142 viewslinhdi

I'd suggest you need a hotel with aircon - it's often 30deg c or more in August. If Ibis budget does, you won't go far wrong - a basic brand that delivers. It won't be a chocolate-box-chalet experience, but it'll be clean and reliable. (Check location - not stuck out on a motorway??).
Yes, Switz isn't cheap. Buy beer or wine from supermarkets, rolls, cheese, cold meats, stroll a mile out of town on immaculately-signposted walking paths ("Wanderweg"), and enjoy the greatest of views away from madding crowds at a fraction of restaurant prices. If you do want to eat / drink in, go down a side-street-off-a-side-street, avoiding popular squares and big hotels. And don't eat or drink on the boats on the lake - ouch!!!
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 19:36 - Dec 7 with 3133 viewsCrawfordsboot

Anyone been to Lucerne... on 14:23 - Dec 7 by Fixed_It

Eating out isn't cheap. Think of London prices then add some. Beautiful country though, and the younger generation all speak pretty good English. Trip sounds good. I'm sure you'll love it.

Best value eating out is to find a restaurant the locals use at mid day and opt for the plat du jour.

The Swiss take their lunch breaks seriously and stop work from 12 to 1 to get lunch. This includes the average Joe who is able to have a plat du jour at a reasonable price. Usually they offer a pretty good deal.
Anyone been to Lucerne... on 19:49 - Dec 7 with 3124 viewsZurichBlue

I’ve been living/working in Zürich for the past 3 years (must change my username!) and been to Lucerne and Pilatus a number of times. It’s where I take family and friends when they visit. I would recommend you take a ferry from Lucerne to Alpnachstad and take the steepest cog train in the world up to the top of Pilatus. The ferry terminal is opposite the train station and it takes about an hour. Time for beer or a glass of wine or two taking in the stunning views.
There’s a restaurant, cafe, shops and even a hotel at the top of Pilatus. Also a few not too strenuous walks that would take a couple of hours at most at strolling pace taking lots of pics. Then take the cable car down the other side of the mountain to the outskirts of Lucerne, stopping if you want at the first station for another stroll and a toboggan ride if that’s of interest. Bus back to Lucerne Centre, all well signed.
Lucerne itself is a beautiful town to explore.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024