Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment 10:32 - Mar 1 with 2353 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47415383

(Warning to gammons - this story may contain references to Human Rights. Please seek medical advice before reading).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:35 - Mar 1 with 1823 viewseireblue

But I thought illegal immigrants were given houses for free, with en-suite ice cream parlours.
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:46 - Mar 1 with 1800 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not going full gammon here, but what's the issue with this? If they're illegal immigrants, they shouldn't be here. If they shouldn't be here they shouldn't have access to stuff until such point that they're legally here.

Is this case around their access to housing or just the way their personal data is being requested and/or handled? Or is it linked in to a lack of other arrangements made (e.g. processing centres where they can be properly assessed and then confirmed as legally eligible to stay or be shipped back to wherever)?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:48 - Mar 1 with 1797 viewsfooters

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:46 - Mar 1 by Swansea_Blue

Not going full gammon here, but what's the issue with this? If they're illegal immigrants, they shouldn't be here. If they shouldn't be here they shouldn't have access to stuff until such point that they're legally here.

Is this case around their access to housing or just the way their personal data is being requested and/or handled? Or is it linked in to a lack of other arrangements made (e.g. processing centres where they can be properly assessed and then confirmed as legally eligible to stay or be shipped back to wherever)?

I'm sure if they've entered the country illegally there would be no way for them to find a home illegally either, or any landlords who would accept them without documentation.

What it would do is force people into an unregulated grey area where they could be easily exploited.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:54 - Mar 1 with 1777 viewsLord_Lucan

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:48 - Mar 1 by footers

I'm sure if they've entered the country illegally there would be no way for them to find a home illegally either, or any landlords who would accept them without documentation.

What it would do is force people into an unregulated grey area where they could be easily exploited.

Quite a few live in shipping containers, it's a real growth market.

I kid you not.

Edit; Thinking about it it makes sense. If they come over hiding in a shipping container they could just get the haulage firm to drop the container at their preferred destination.

A nice village green perhaps?
[Post edited 1 Mar 2019 10:56]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:56 - Mar 1 with 1771 viewscrunchie1978

They sleep 20 to a room anyway so not that many houses to worry about......no need to go full smoked cured pork over it at all!
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:57 - Mar 1 with 1768 viewsSwansea_Blue

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:56 - Mar 1 by crunchie1978

They sleep 20 to a room anyway so not that many houses to worry about......no need to go full smoked cured pork over it at all!

Hmm. I think the rest of us are thinking about the individuals, not worrying about the houses. At least you're consistent though.

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:57 - Mar 1 with 1768 viewsNo9

The BBC report is questionable simply because the Independent report sets it out somewhat differently

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/right-to-rent-scheme-human-right
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:00 - Mar 1 with 1765 viewsSwansea_Blue

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:57 - Mar 1 by No9

The BBC report is questionable simply because the Independent report sets it out somewhat differently

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/right-to-rent-scheme-human-right

So this particular case is as much as anything about UK nationals and legal foreign nationals as it is about illegals. Ok, that's much clearer and makes sense now. The race to publish first and get clicks first doesn't always help (take note BBC).

Login to get fewer ads

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:01 - Mar 1 with 1757 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you have to be a gammon to believe that illegal immigration is wrong?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:02 - Mar 1 with 1756 viewsSwansea_Blue

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:01 - Mar 1 by GlasgowBlue

Do you have to be a gammon to believe that illegal immigration is wrong?

No. But that's not what Facters said either.

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:03 - Mar 1 with 1757 viewsfactual_blue

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 10:54 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

I kid you not.

Edit; Thinking about it it makes sense. If they come over hiding in a shipping container they could just get the haulage firm to drop the container at their preferred destination.

There was an incident a few years ago when some relieved Afghan illegals leapt out of their container.

They were surprised to find a load of scary USAF security police pointing guns at them.

The lorry was, unbeknownst to them, making a delivery to RAF Lakenheath.

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:07 - Mar 1 with 1743 viewsfooters

I kid you not.

Back in my squatting dayz, some friends of friends (real wet, lentil-eating hippy types) were living out Stratford way in another squat. One evening there was a knock on the door. About a dozen Eastern European blokes told them that this was, in fact, their house now. They were armed with various thing. Needless to say the hippies vacated pretty sharpish.

Like the plan though, new business venture?

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:11 - Mar 1 with 1738 viewsLord_Lucan

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 11:07 - Mar 1 by footers

Back in my squatting dayz, some friends of friends (real wet, lentil-eating hippy types) were living out Stratford way in another squat. One evening there was a knock on the door. About a dozen Eastern European blokes told them that this was, in fact, their house now. They were armed with various thing. Needless to say the hippies vacated pretty sharpish.

Like the plan though, new business venture?

I do own a couple of containers actually. They are plonked in a couple of farmers fields in Dorset.

I don't think they would be welcome there, if you imagine Bentley village to be slightly right wing, Dorset is full on Adolf territory.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 12:20 - Mar 1 with 1657 viewsNo9

I kid you not.

George Clarke as had some programmes where people use shiping containers to make very interesting homes.
I've only ever used them for making offices
Good insulation is necessary tho'
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 13:32 - Mar 1 with 1629 views26_Paz

If they're illegal immigrants and someone discovers they are illegal immigrants surely they have a moral duty to report this to the relevant authorities. Surely these authorities then have a duty to the legal citizens of this country to ensure swift deportation?

The Paz Man

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:10 - Mar 1 with 1557 viewsfactual_blue

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 13:32 - Mar 1 by 26_Paz

If they're illegal immigrants and someone discovers they are illegal immigrants surely they have a moral duty to report this to the relevant authorities. Surely these authorities then have a duty to the legal citizens of this country to ensure swift deportation?

I doubt that a landlord would let morality get in the way of his profits.

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:22 - Mar 1 with 1537 views26_Paz

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:10 - Mar 1 by factual_blue

I doubt that a landlord would let morality get in the way of his profits.

Its not as if there's a shortage of people looking for rented accommodation so it shouldn't be an issue

The Paz Man

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:30 - Mar 1 with 1524 viewsNo9

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 13:32 - Mar 1 by 26_Paz

You've sucked the BBC story which is not correct it isn't just immigrants
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:32 - Mar 1 with 1518 views26_Paz

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:30 - Mar 1 by No9

You've sucked the BBC story which is not correct it isn't just immigrants

Who else is it?

The Paz Man

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:36 - Mar 1 with 1512 viewsfooters

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:32 - Mar 1 by 26_Paz

Who else is it?

Presumably anyone without documentation, passport, ID, etc. As far as I know we are not legally required to have ID cards... yet.

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:39 - Mar 1 with 1500 viewsNo9

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:32 - Mar 1 by 26_Paz

Who else is it?

If you read the story in the Independent you will see
And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:40 - Mar 1 with 1495 views26_Paz

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:36 - Mar 1 by footers

Presumably anyone without documentation, passport, ID, etc. As far as I know we are not legally required to have ID cards... yet.

If you're not an illegal just get a passport or something, problem solved

The Paz Man

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:44 - Mar 1 with 1483 viewsfooters

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:40 - Mar 1 by 26_Paz

If you're not an illegal just get a passport or something, problem solved

Thank you, Big Brother, this has been noted.

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:48 - Mar 1 with 1472 views26_Paz

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:39 - Mar 1 by No9

If you read the story in the Independent you will see

That well known impartial source

The Paz Man

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:49 - Mar 1 with 1468 viewsNo9

And a blow to the 'Hostile Environment on 14:48 - Mar 1 by 26_Paz

That well known impartial source

Did you read the article?
More accurate than the BBC story?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024