Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Without wanting this to turn in to a ... 08:56 - Mar 18 with 50406 viewsKieran_Knows

... conspiracy theory kind of thread, has anybody watched the Madeline McCann documentary on Netflix yet? Other than the game on Saturday, had nothing to do all weekend so got round to watching them all.

I must say, the level of incompetency from the Portuguese Police in those first few hours/days seems unreal to me.

It also amazes me, that someone, somewhere knows what went on that night and 12 years on, it doesn't seem any closer to a conclusion (whether she may be dead, or indeed alive somewhere).
[Post edited 18 Mar 2019 8:56]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:14 - Mar 19 with 2626 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:11 - Mar 19 by Pecker

Who said it? Who said that they didn't act normally? You seem to know, so why not just tell us?

You're still going I see? Look, you made an unsavoury and unfounded accusation that the McCanns covered up their child's death and then got really precious when you were challenged on that. Dust yourself down and learn from the experience.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:16 - Mar 19 with 2624 viewsPecker

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:11 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

You've accused the McCanns of covering up the death of their child.

I have typed something on an internet forum and you think that I am accusing them. Look, I do not believe that they are telling the truth and that is all. I am not a police officer or a judge, so I can type what I like. (within reason) You have a different take on it to me, that is all. I do not see why you are replying all the time to my posts. We disagree on this, that is all. No big deal. We just disagree on it, so no need to "challenge" me on it.
Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:20 - Mar 19 with 2614 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:16 - Mar 19 by Pecker

I have typed something on an internet forum and you think that I am accusing them. Look, I do not believe that they are telling the truth and that is all. I am not a police officer or a judge, so I can type what I like. (within reason) You have a different take on it to me, that is all. I do not see why you are replying all the time to my posts. We disagree on this, that is all. No big deal. We just disagree on it, so no need to "challenge" me on it.

I think when people are alleging that someone has covered up the death of a child that is worthy of being challenged. You obviously don't think so. You don't have to keep replying to my posts you know.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:36 - Mar 19 with 2604 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:08 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

Re-read the thread. You're being deliberately literal and obtuse, which is unlike you.

You said "So nobody on here knows what 'normal' behaviour in that situation looks like but yet some still feel comfortable to suggest the parents' behaviour wasn't normal?"

So I asked for examples of people or posts where people do this.

But you can't link me to a single post.

You can deflect all you like, but you made an accusation but have been unable to substantiate it any way.

Isn't this an example of a straw man argument? You know, create a view/opinion/belief of your own and then attack it?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:39 - Mar 19 with 2593 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:36 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

You said "So nobody on here knows what 'normal' behaviour in that situation looks like but yet some still feel comfortable to suggest the parents' behaviour wasn't normal?"

So I asked for examples of people or posts where people do this.

But you can't link me to a single post.

You can deflect all you like, but you made an accusation but have been unable to substantiate it any way.

Isn't this an example of a straw man argument? You know, create a view/opinion/belief of your own and then attack it?

Re-read the thread without blinkers, dear.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:44 - Mar 19 with 2584 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:08 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

Re-read the thread. You're being deliberately literal and obtuse, which is unlike you.

I was being specific and clear. Some people don't like reality thrust in their faces.

But you in turn can feed me humble pie by linking me to some posts which illustrate the type of opinion you claim exists in this thread, but you consistently refuse to so do.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:46 - Mar 19 with 2575 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:44 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

I was being specific and clear. Some people don't like reality thrust in their faces.

But you in turn can feed me humble pie by linking me to some posts which illustrate the type of opinion you claim exists in this thread, but you consistently refuse to so do.

There are at least three posts on page 2 alone suggesting that the McCanns behaviour was not normal. You choose not to see them because it doesn't fit your argument.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:57 - Mar 19 with 2548 viewsRyorry

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 10:49 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

It's interesting that two people have answered my question on Herbivore's behalf yet no one is able to link an offending post.

I'm not saying they don't exist. I may have missed them, but if three people at least are sure they exist, then why not just link them to me rather than playing cat and mouse?

I don't know about anyone else, but my reason for not doing so is that I don't wish to inflame old wounds with one poster in particular by singling him out. And as a language teacher, I'd have thought you well capable of spotting the posts in question, even if they don't literally contain the word "normal".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:58 - Mar 19 with 2541 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:46 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

There are at least three posts on page 2 alone suggesting that the McCanns behaviour was not normal. You choose not to see them because it doesn't fit your argument.

As I've already stated, there are posts which are critical of the McCann's actions.

No one can say what is normal behaviour in the event of coming home at night and finding your child missing from her bed. We get that. But you've said that people have stated what is normal in those situations. No they haven't.

If they had done, you would have rammed the posts in question down my throat, but you haven't because you can't find them.

I'm sorry but that is the truth.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:02 - Mar 19 with 2522 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:58 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

As I've already stated, there are posts which are critical of the McCann's actions.

No one can say what is normal behaviour in the event of coming home at night and finding your child missing from her bed. We get that. But you've said that people have stated what is normal in those situations. No they haven't.

If they had done, you would have rammed the posts in question down my throat, but you haven't because you can't find them.

No, I said people have suggested their behaviour wasn't normal. Which they have. One post in particular refers to their actions as "strange". Strange is a synonym for unusual or not normal. I don't have an agenda in this one way or the other, perhaps that's why I can see what you can't.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:03 - Mar 19 with 2523 viewswkj

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:58 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

I will end this all off as I can see you're still unsure of the flow of understanding.

If someone suggests they feel that someone should have acted in a different way than they did, its fair to assume that person sees the course of action taken as abnormal to their opinion of what they feel should have been done.

If someone feels that Ipswich Town should stop playing on sundays and weeknights, its a fair assumption that person feels Saturdays is the normal day to play football without even having to hint at that statement. It really doesn't need to be this difficult.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:11 - Mar 19 with 2505 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:57 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

I don't know about anyone else, but my reason for not doing so is that I don't wish to inflame old wounds with one poster in particular by singling him out. And as a language teacher, I'd have thought you well capable of spotting the posts in question, even if they don't literally contain the word "normal".

Yet you feel happy to inflame old wounds with another poster by downvoting my posts which are just asking for specific examples.

I can see posts which are critical of the McCanns' behaviour and I've referred to them twice already, but there are none where posters "seem to be experts in how people should behave when they discover their daughter is missing" which is exactly what Herbivore claimed and the point I am making.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:22 - Mar 19 with 2484 viewsRyorry

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:11 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

Yet you feel happy to inflame old wounds with another poster by downvoting my posts which are just asking for specific examples.

I can see posts which are critical of the McCanns' behaviour and I've referred to them twice already, but there are none where posters "seem to be experts in how people should behave when they discover their daughter is missing" which is exactly what Herbivore claimed and the point I am making.

No, I didn't feel at all "happy" with doing so, quite the opposite actually, that's just your misinterpretation.

This is serious stuff - 2 peoples' reputations are in question, so I think it important to try and be as accurate as possible. I'm intolerant of loose accusations, yes, as I hope others would be on my behalf if I were ever in a similar situation, heaven forbid.

FWIW, as I said at the time of Madeleine's disappearance, I personally wouldn't leave my dog alone in a hotel room anywhere in the world, even if I were only a minute away, because of any risk of fire breaking out in the building.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:27 - Mar 19 with 2466 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:11 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

Oh dear.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:32 - Mar 19 with 2457 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:02 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

No, I said people have suggested their behaviour wasn't normal. Which they have. One post in particular refers to their actions as "strange". Strange is a synonym for unusual or not normal. I don't have an agenda in this one way or the other, perhaps that's why I can see what you can't.

You mean this quote from Libero: "they almost immediately hired a world renowned PR Agent/publicist. Strange thing to do in the circumstances."

Well, I've said that no one can say what is normal behaviour in the event of your child disappearing, but I can safely say that with thousands of kids that go missing in the UK each year, hiring a world renowned PR Agent/publicist probably does fall into the "crikey, that's a bit unusual" category.

It's not just any old PR company:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/18/madeleine-mccann-family-spokesma

Holding such a view hardly means that Libero is some "expert in how people should behave when they discover their daughter is missing" as you have claimed.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:37 - Mar 19 with 2438 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:32 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

You mean this quote from Libero: "they almost immediately hired a world renowned PR Agent/publicist. Strange thing to do in the circumstances."

Well, I've said that no one can say what is normal behaviour in the event of your child disappearing, but I can safely say that with thousands of kids that go missing in the UK each year, hiring a world renowned PR Agent/publicist probably does fall into the "crikey, that's a bit unusual" category.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/18/madeleine-mccann-family-spokesma

Holding such a view hardly means that Libero is some "expert in how people should behave when they discover their daughter is missing" as you have claimed.

So you do claim to know what constitutes normal behaviour when your child disappears. Glad we've cleared that one up.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:39 - Mar 19 with 2434 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:22 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

No, I didn't feel at all "happy" with doing so, quite the opposite actually, that's just your misinterpretation.

This is serious stuff - 2 peoples' reputations are in question, so I think it important to try and be as accurate as possible. I'm intolerant of loose accusations, yes, as I hope others would be on my behalf if I were ever in a similar situation, heaven forbid.

FWIW, as I said at the time of Madeleine's disappearance, I personally wouldn't leave my dog alone in a hotel room anywhere in the world, even if I were only a minute away, because of any risk of fire breaking out in the building.

People are expressing their views on an event which has had saturated global exposure for 12 years. It's something people do in societies which claim to value freedom of expression. In my opinion it's good to have dissenting or challenging voices even if they happen to be wrong.

Such behaviour is the very essence of a free society.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:41 - Mar 19 with 2429 viewslowhouseblue

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:32 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

"It's not just any old PR company"

how exciting, what's special about that pr company?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:44 - Mar 19 with 2409 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:37 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

So you do claim to know what constitutes normal behaviour when your child disappears. Glad we've cleared that one up.

No, I've said quite the opposite at least twice already.

That said, with thousands of children going missing each year from the UK, I'd say that hiring a world renowned PR agent of the calibre of Mitchell was uncommon.

Or perhaps not, maybe you can cite other examples?

EDITED poor spelling
[Post edited 19 Mar 2019 12:56]

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:46 - Mar 19 with 2403 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:44 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

No, I've said quite the opposite at least twice already.

That said, with thousands of children going missing each year from the UK, I'd say that hiring a world renowned PR agent of the calibre of Mitchell was uncommon.

Or perhaps not, maybe you can cite other examples?

EDITED poor spelling
[Post edited 19 Mar 2019 12:56]

*cite

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:51 - Mar 19 with 2384 viewsPecker

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 11:20 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

I think when people are alleging that someone has covered up the death of a child that is worthy of being challenged. You obviously don't think so. You don't have to keep replying to my posts you know.

So you are adding "alleging" to the list or are you replacing "accused" with "alleging" ? I am replying to your post because you keep "accusing" me of things. We disagree on this, so what. I have heard many people question what the McCanns have done on tv and radio, yet they are not "accused" of anything. You also keep trying to put words into posts that are not there. You seem to have some kind of beef with me as you do this time and again, which I don't mind, but I do not understand why.
Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:52 - Mar 19 with 2372 viewsHerbivore

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:51 - Mar 19 by Pecker

So you are adding "alleging" to the list or are you replacing "accused" with "alleging" ? I am replying to your post because you keep "accusing" me of things. We disagree on this, so what. I have heard many people question what the McCanns have done on tv and radio, yet they are not "accused" of anything. You also keep trying to put words into posts that are not there. You seem to have some kind of beef with me as you do this time and again, which I don't mind, but I do not understand why.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm merely stating that you have accused the McCanns of covering up the death of their child. Which you have. It's there for everyone to see in this thread.

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:54 - Mar 19 with 2362 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:41 - Mar 19 by lowhouseblue

"It's not just any old PR company"

how exciting, what's special about that pr company?

"Mitchell was previously head of media monitoring for the Cabinet Office.

He was also a journalist for 25 years, starting out in print and then as a broadcaster with the BBC, covering a variety of stories including the Fred and Rose West murders Gloucester and the Soham murders in Cambridgeshire. As a royal correspondent he covered the death of Princess Diana."

And that's just a five-line snippet at the bottom of an article in the Guardian. Not a bad CV.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:55 - Mar 19 with 2353 viewscaught-in-limbo

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:46 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

*cite

Thanks. Corrected.

#toxic

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 13:00 - Mar 19 with 2327 viewslowhouseblue

Without wanting this to turn in to a ... on 12:54 - Mar 19 by caught-in-limbo

"Mitchell was previously head of media monitoring for the Cabinet Office.

He was also a journalist for 25 years, starting out in print and then as a broadcaster with the BBC, covering a variety of stories including the Fred and Rose West murders Gloucester and the Soham murders in Cambridgeshire. As a royal correspondent he covered the death of Princess Diana."

And that's just a five-line snippet at the bottom of an article in the Guardian. Not a bad CV.

they chose someone who knows his way round the media. seems sensible. why do you see it as significant that it was that firm 'not just any old pr company?' does any implication follow from it being 'not just any old pr company'?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024