Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People of twtd inspire me 15:51 - Apr 3 with 7838 viewsBluefish

It is my big 4-0 next year so I need somewhere to go with the missus to mark the occasion. We did NYC for hers last year and loved it. Looking at 4-5 nights

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

People of twtd inspire me on 16:47 - Apr 3 with 722 viewsclive_baker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:41 - Apr 3 by GeoffSentence

Cambridge is on the list. Been there before but with it being so close I have never actually spent more than a day out there.

It will have to go some to outdo Bath, but I will reserve proper judgement until I have done a weekender there. Maybe for an important birthday.

Actually, I am going to Edinburgh for my wife's 50th (her choice) I will report back on how that compares with Bath.

Edinburgh is even better than Bath. Best city in Europe bar none.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

People of twtd inspire me on 16:48 - Apr 3 with 718 viewsBluefish

People of twtd inspire me on 16:45 - Apr 3 by StokieBlue

Isn't it pretty much a function of budget?

You going to splash the moolah?

SB

I think hers was about 4k probably but I haven't added it up.

People of twtd inspire me on 16:48 - Apr 3 with 717 viewsGeoffSentence

People of twtd inspire me on 16:47 - Apr 3 by clive_baker

Edinburgh is even better than Bath. Best city in Europe bar none.

Seeings as you are clearly are a man/woman/oneoftheothers who clearly knows how to appreciate a city, I will take that as a very positive recommandation and look forward to it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 with 716 viewsTractorWood

People of twtd inspire me on 16:39 - Apr 3 by clive_baker

Don't be silly.

Cambridge is awesome. Incredible city. Amazing pubs, great restaurants for all budgets. Lovely walks, architecture, history, culture, green spaces everywhere and amenities like the Jesus Green lido.

Most people in East Anglia hate it because they try to drive to the middle because they don't know it and go to a shopping centre.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 with 716 viewsBluefish

People of twtd inspire me on 16:46 - Apr 3 by WeWereZombies

Barcelona - vibrant city, some of the World's best architecture, great food, good night entertainment and, it is your birthday, take in a game at the Nou Camp.

We did Barcelona the year before and loved it. We are looking for something to compare with Barcelona and NYC

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 with 715 viewsclive_baker

Ok well if you're talking spring time I would say get yourself over to the Amalfi coast. May is perfect as everything is open / lively but it's before it gets silly busy with screaming kids.

People of twtd inspire me on 16:50 - Apr 3 with 704 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:43 - Apr 3 by GeoffSentence

LLandudno!!!

Better than Bath!!!

The Great Orme has its charms I know, but my oh my are you overselling LLandudno.

So what parts of Bath did you enjoy so much? Twerton? Whiteway? Snowhill? Would suggest that you are vastly overselling Bath. The centre its self is borderline ok, but the rest is a bit of a dump. Bathampton and Bathford are exempt though.
People of twtd inspire me on 16:51 - Apr 3 with 696 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 by Bluefish

We did Barcelona the year before and loved it. We are looking for something to compare with Barcelona and NYC

Just go to Corsica man.
Login to get fewer ads

People of twtd inspire me on 16:52 - Apr 3 with 693 viewsGeoffSentence

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 by TractorWood

Cambridge is awesome. Incredible city. Amazing pubs, great restaurants for all budgets. Lovely walks, architecture, history, culture, green spaces everywhere and amenities like the Jesus Green lido.

Most people in East Anglia hate it because they try to drive to the middle because they don't know it and go to a shopping centre.

It always comes out well in polls of great places in the UK.

I intend to do it properly in the near future, along with Edinburgh, Canterbury, Lincoln, York and maybe Chester.

Some of those might even fit in with our lower league tour.

Funny how the nice places have shlt football teams.

People of twtd inspire me on 16:53 - Apr 3 with 689 viewsclive_baker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 by TractorWood

I don't hate it, I lived in Cambridge for 5 years as a kid so know it pretty well. It just doesn't get anything close to Bath for me. Maybe that's because it doesn't have the same sense of mystique that Bath does as it's a lot more familiar to me. Each to their own though, and I can certainly see why Cambridge is well loved.

People of twtd inspire me on 16:54 - Apr 3 with 679 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:52 - Apr 3 by GeoffSentence

I intend to do it properly in the near future, along with Edinburgh, Canterbury, Lincoln, York and maybe Chester.

Ipswich obviously exempt from that.
People of twtd inspire me on 16:55 - Apr 3 with 677 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:49 - Apr 3 by clive_baker

Ok well if you're talking spring time I would say get yourself over to the Amalfi coast. May is perfect as everything is open / lively but it's before it gets silly busy with screaming kids.

I got married in Sorrento. Sorry that is a lie. I got married on Capri and spent 3 weeks in Sorrento.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 16:56]
People of twtd inspire me on 16:55 - Apr 3 with 676 viewsclive_baker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:52 - Apr 3 by GeoffSentence

They normally over index in peanut huggers.

People of twtd inspire me on 16:56 - Apr 3 with 673 viewsGeoffSentence

People of twtd inspire me on 16:50 - Apr 3 by Pecker

So what parts of Bath did you enjoy so much? Twerton? Whiteway? Snowhill? Would suggest that you are vastly overselling Bath. The centre its self is borderline ok, but the rest is a bit of a dump. Bathampton and Bathford are exempt though.

Well naturally I didn't go to the dodgy estates on the outskirts if indeed they are that dodgy. I went to the centre of course. Although actually we stayed in an airbnb place about 10 minutes walk out of the city centre in what was reputed to be a bit of a dodgy location, but though it was rumoured to be the haunt of Bath's drug overlords it was actually quite nice.

But it did rain a little.

People of twtd inspire me on 16:58 - Apr 3 with 666 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 16:56 - Apr 3 by GeoffSentence

Well naturally I didn't go to the dodgy estates on the outskirts if indeed they are that dodgy. I went to the centre of course. Although actually we stayed in an airbnb place about 10 minutes walk out of the city centre in what was reputed to be a bit of a dodgy location, but though it was rumoured to be the haunt of Bath's drug overlords it was actually quite nice.

But it did rain a little.

Where? I lived in Bath for 10 years.
People of twtd inspire me on 17:00 - Apr 3 with 653 viewsWeWereZombies

Apart from Barcelona and Edinburgh the only European city that I have liked without reservation is Copenhagen but it is very quiet compared to the first two. Istanbul is magnificent and exotic but can be dicey too. Berlin and Krakow could both be chilly in March but decent in May, however Berlin I didn't get on with and preferred Hamburg. Krakow has lots of sights but is very touristy (and smaller than all the other destinations mentioned so far). A tour of the Andalusian cities is also worth considering, queues for the Alhambra in Granada are horrendous but if you get there very early in the morning you will get tickets for one of the wonders of the World, Cordoba is smaller but in my mind just as wonderful, I went through Seville last week and looked out at it from the bus wishing I had stopped there.

In terms of the South Africa idea I like Jo'burg better than Cape Town but to really enjoy the Rainbow Nation you need to get out into the game reserves and see the wildlife, I would recommend setting at least two weeks aside for that.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

People of twtd inspire me on 17:01 - Apr 3 with 650 viewsGeoffSentence

People of twtd inspire me on 16:58 - Apr 3 by Pecker

Where? I lived in Bath for 10 years.

Nelson Place West.

Our host claimed to have bought her house on the cheap because the area had a drug dealing reputation.

People of twtd inspire me on 17:05 - Apr 3 with 643 viewsReuser_is_God

You’re 40?

Fcuk me the way you go on I thought you were about 15.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

People of twtd inspire me on 17:14 - Apr 3 with 622 viewsBluefish

People of twtd inspire me on 17:05 - Apr 3 by Reuser_is_God

You’re 40?

Fcuk me the way you go on I thought you were about 15.

No 15 year olds are as knowledgable as me about football or manage to always be right about itfc like I am

People of twtd inspire me on 17:16 - Apr 3 with 612 viewsKropotkin123

I went to Andalusia recently. It is stunning, particularly Seville. I spent a couple of days in each city. I much prefer Seville to Barcelona. But I don't think you can enjoy the food if you don't like seafood though.

Rome, Naples and Pompei was also a great trip. Rome is another great city for the visuals, Naples is all about the food, and Pompei for the history.

I plan on doing Dubrovnik, Mostar and a beach island next. It looks achievable in your timeframe.

I think Asia and America is too far for 5 days in my opinion, but each to their own.

Failing the above, I've heard Bath is a good shout...

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

People of twtd inspire me on 17:16 - Apr 3 with 611 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 17:01 - Apr 3 by GeoffSentence

Nelson Place West.

Our host claimed to have bought her house on the cheap because the area had a drug dealing reputation.

Blimey, She was right. To be fair, the drug dealers have moved out towards Twerton these days.
People of twtd inspire me on 17:18 - Apr 3 with 602 viewsBluefish

People of twtd inspire me on 17:00 - Apr 3 by WeWereZombies

Apart from Barcelona and Edinburgh the only European city that I have liked without reservation is Copenhagen but it is very quiet compared to the first two. Istanbul is magnificent and exotic but can be dicey too. Berlin and Krakow could both be chilly in March but decent in May, however Berlin I didn't get on with and preferred Hamburg. Krakow has lots of sights but is very touristy (and smaller than all the other destinations mentioned so far). A tour of the Andalusian cities is also worth considering, queues for the Alhambra in Granada are horrendous but if you get there very early in the morning you will get tickets for one of the wonders of the World, Cordoba is smaller but in my mind just as wonderful, I went through Seville last week and looked out at it from the bus wishing I had stopped there.

In terms of the South Africa idea I like Jo'burg better than Cape Town but to really enjoy the Rainbow Nation you need to get out into the game reserves and see the wildlife, I would recommend setting at least two weeks aside for that.

I did consider Copenhagen but was worried about being enough to fill the time. We did 3 days in Barcelona and 5 in NYC and they were Jam packed. We are doing bruges for 2 nights this year and will do 2 in Budapest next year or the one after. I wanted something extra for this trip but I'm not sure I will find the combination of wow on a trip of this length. Really want to go to Edinburgh but again this isn't the trip for it.

People of twtd inspire me on 17:19 - Apr 3 with 600 viewsGeoffSentence

People of twtd inspire me on 17:16 - Apr 3 by Pecker

Blimey, She was right. To be fair, the drug dealers have moved out towards Twerton these days.

As areas blighted by the drugs trade go, it was OK, nice bit of greenery, riverside location, Herschel Museum just minutes away, short walk to the centre and the Royal Crescent.

People of twtd inspire me on 17:21 - Apr 3 with 589 viewsBluefish

People of twtd inspire me on 17:16 - Apr 3 by Kropotkin123

I went to Andalusia recently. It is stunning, particularly Seville. I spent a couple of days in each city. I much prefer Seville to Barcelona. But I don't think you can enjoy the food if you don't like seafood though.

Rome, Naples and Pompei was also a great trip. Rome is another great city for the visuals, Naples is all about the food, and Pompei for the history.

I plan on doing Dubrovnik, Mostar and a beach island next. It looks achievable in your timeframe.

I think Asia and America is too far for 5 days in my opinion, but each to their own.

I love seafood! I don't want to travel, I want to be able to walk around but stay in the same hotel.

People of twtd inspire me on 17:22 - Apr 3 with 584 viewsPecker

People of twtd inspire me on 17:16 - Apr 3 by Kropotkin123

I found Rome over crowded, Naples noisy and Pompeii to commercial. Herculium was much better than Pompeii. Do enjoy Barcelona in Catalonia, not Andalusia.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024