Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Save My Local 10:11 - Apr 12 with 2274 viewsKropotkin123

I've recently started a job in Brentwood and I've really been enjoying this local pub. It is a traditional one, with a nice garden area and the staff and locals have character. Now it is under threat. Not because it isn't successful, but because of the freeholders. Please sign this petition to help me continue drinking!

Thank you to anyone who spares a minute to type their name and email
http://chng.it/tknHzTD7NX

Others say:
This is probably the last true, proper, working-man’s pub for many a mile. No food, Good atmosphere, Great customer base and a very well-run bar. It would be a tragic loss to the community for it to be turned into a soul-less managed house (or worse still, deliberately run-down over the next few years so that the brewery can then make a case to the Local Authority to turn it into flats).

It would be a crime for the to be allowed to happen. Let’s all support Ian, his family and staff

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Save My Local on 10:34 - Apr 12 with 2228 viewschicoazul

Co-signed my brother. This is pretty much what I said the other day when people were saying the only pubs that close are the sh1t ones; many of these pubs close because the property is worth far far more as flats rather than a pub. I know of a couple in London who do something like 10k a week, thriving busy pubs with plenty of happy punters, being shut down and turned into flats.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Save My Local on 10:47 - Apr 12 with 2215 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It will still be a pub, you can still drink there.

EIG are well within there rights, and I can't see what a petition will do?
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:50]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Save My Local on 10:51 - Apr 12 with 2204 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 10:47 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

It will still be a pub, you can still drink there.

EIG are well within there rights, and I can't see what a petition will do?
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:50]

They can legally force the sale of the freehold.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Save My Local on 10:54 - Apr 12 with 2202 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 10:51 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

They can legally force the sale of the freehold.

How?

I don't think they can.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:56]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Save My Local on 10:57 - Apr 12 with 2186 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 10:34 - Apr 12 by chicoazul

Co-signed my brother. This is pretty much what I said the other day when people were saying the only pubs that close are the sh1t ones; many of these pubs close because the property is worth far far more as flats rather than a pub. I know of a couple in London who do something like 10k a week, thriving busy pubs with plenty of happy punters, being shut down and turned into flats.

Except this pub isn't closing.

Save My Local on 11:05 - Apr 12 with 2172 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 10:54 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

How?

I don't think they can.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:56]

"Leaseholders have a legal right under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 to buy the freehold of their house if they meet certain qualifying criteria. If the leaseholder qualifies under the 1967 Act and follows the correct procedure they can force you to sell them the freehold."

I've also threatened this in a property I owned. I didn't win the freehold, because I didn't push it that far, because the freeholder admitted they were in the wrong and became compliant to their legal responsibilities.

Save My Local on 11:17 - Apr 12 with 2154 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 11:05 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

"Leaseholders have a legal right under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 to buy the freehold of their house if they meet certain qualifying criteria. If the leaseholder qualifies under the 1967 Act and follows the correct procedure they can force you to sell them the freehold."

I've also threatened this in a property I owned. I didn't win the freehold, because I didn't push it that far, because the freeholder admitted they were in the wrong and became compliant to their legal responsibilities.

The petition says the family have been there for 18 years. Enfranchisement requires a lease of longer than 21 years. So that's one test that they've possibly failed.

Also, I don't think enfranchisement of commercial property is as common as it is for residential. I think a business tenancy needs an original lease of at least 35 years.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 11:21]

Save My Local on 11:31 - Apr 12 with 2127 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 11:17 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

The petition says the family have been there for 18 years. Enfranchisement requires a lease of longer than 21 years. So that's one test that they've possibly failed.

Also, I don't think enfranchisement of commercial property is as common as it is for residential. I think a business tenancy needs an original lease of at least 35 years.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 11:21]

I'd need to re-look at the criteria, but I don't believe that the lease of 21years is for their personal time spent there, more so how much time is left on the lease as a whole. For example, my lease was reset to 999 years about 20 years before I took over ownership. so 979 years left on the lease, but I'd been there for 1 year. This made no difference in my legal standing when I went through it at the time. In other words, I don't think they fail that criteria.

What is common and what is possible are not the same thing.

Login to get fewer ads

Save My Local on 11:35 - Apr 12 with 2114 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 11:31 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

I'd need to re-look at the criteria, but I don't believe that the lease of 21years is for their personal time spent there, more so how much time is left on the lease as a whole. For example, my lease was reset to 999 years about 20 years before I took over ownership. so 979 years left on the lease, but I'd been there for 1 year. This made no difference in my legal standing when I went through it at the time. In other words, I don't think they fail that criteria.

What is common and what is possible are not the same thing.

It relates to the original lease, which is why you were OK.

I doubt the pub guys have a lease of that length, if they did, they wouldnt resort to a petition.

I don't think they have any right to buy the freehold. Its likely that their original lease was c.10 years if that.

Save My Local on 12:15 - Apr 12 with 2074 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 11:35 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

It relates to the original lease, which is why you were OK.

I doubt the pub guys have a lease of that length, if they did, they wouldnt resort to a petition.

I don't think they have any right to buy the freehold. Its likely that their original lease was c.10 years if that.

Resorting to a petition is to show they have community backing, which they do, which is why, as apart of that community, I have put it up on this forum this morning. So people who care about me, my drinking preferences and traditional community pubs can spend a little time to help.

Whether it ends in failure or not is not the only objective. Supporting the family to exhaust all their potential options, for both themselves and the community is. It feels good to be supported when your livelihood is on the line.

Save My Local on 12:20 - Apr 12 with 2063 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 12:15 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

Resorting to a petition is to show they have community backing, which they do, which is why, as apart of that community, I have put it up on this forum this morning. So people who care about me, my drinking preferences and traditional community pubs can spend a little time to help.

Whether it ends in failure or not is not the only objective. Supporting the family to exhaust all their potential options, for both themselves and the community is. It feels good to be supported when your livelihood is on the line.

Fair enough, and good luck to them. I think the petition is their only hope, I very much doubt they will have the right to buy the FH.

Although describing EIG's plans as a 'soulless managed house', may not help their cause if they are relying on EIG's charity.

Save My Local on 12:35 - Apr 12 with 2049 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 12:20 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Fair enough, and good luck to them. I think the petition is their only hope, I very much doubt they will have the right to buy the FH.

Although describing EIG's plans as a 'soulless managed house', may not help their cause if they are relying on EIG's charity.

11 APR 2019 - "we have the full support from the council and are applying for “The Tap” to be registered as a community asset"

Cller Will Russell has said "The Brewery Tap is a historic place that serves a community conscious patronage. Turning this much loved family run pub into a discount bar will ultimately cause local issues for nearby residents"

"Since hearing the breweries intentions, I have visted their other sites! I am concerned how their plans may be detrimental to local residents and in particular the value of their properties."

So I think it has helped as it is a point the council recognises, and feel will have a detrimental effect on the local community.

Save My Local on 12:47 - Apr 12 with 2026 viewsJ2BLUE

Save My Local on 12:35 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

11 APR 2019 - "we have the full support from the council and are applying for “The Tap” to be registered as a community asset"

Cller Will Russell has said "The Brewery Tap is a historic place that serves a community conscious patronage. Turning this much loved family run pub into a discount bar will ultimately cause local issues for nearby residents"

"Since hearing the breweries intentions, I have visted their other sites! I am concerned how their plans may be detrimental to local residents and in particular the value of their properties."

So I think it has helped as it is a point the council recognises, and feel will have a detrimental effect on the local community.

Since hearing the breweries intentions, I have visted their other sites!

Cracking idea for a Friday afternoon business trip

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Save My Local on 12:48 - Apr 12 with 2025 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 12:35 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

ACV will not help them.

Save My Local on 12:51 - Apr 12 with 2010 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 12:48 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

ACV will not help them.

You seem to know a fair bit about this, is it around your area of expertise?

Save My Local on 12:52 - Apr 12 with 2002 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 12:51 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

You seem to know a fair bit about this, is it around your area of expertise?

To an extent yes.

I am a chartered surveyor, and have worked for a large pubco in the past.

(Not sure I'd refer to EIG as a pubco though).

Save My Local on 12:54 - Apr 12 with 1991 viewsKropotkin123

Save My Local on 12:52 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

To an extent yes.

I am a chartered surveyor, and have worked for a large pubco in the past.

(Not sure I'd refer to EIG as a pubco though).

Nice, you do come across as knowledgable. More so than someone who has just read up on it. Thanks for your input this morning.

Save My Local on 12:58 - Apr 12 with 1973 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Save My Local on 12:54 - Apr 12 by Kropotkin123

Nice, you do come across as knowledgable. More so than someone who has just read up on it. Thanks for your input this morning.

I hope the tenant gets their wish. The pubco's usually get their way, and it's not usually for the best.

EIG are an awful company, they havent got a clue how to run a pub well.

I am not pro the pubco, I just know what a tough task the tenant has on their hands.

Fairly recently I tried to help a local community get an ACV on a pub that EIG owner, but it went to become a co-op.

Edit: Your pub looks like a cracking little boozer.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 13:00]

Save My Local on 18:39 - Apr 12 with 1898 viewsLeaky

If its the only pub in your village or locality you can claim it as village asset. Get in touch with Camra they will help you out legally. A few pubs around where I live have done it succsrsvaly . It stops them from being sold to speculators,
Save My Local on 18:51 - Apr 12 with 1878 viewsCoastalblue

Back in the mists of time I used to have a girlfriend who lived in Warley, she was, no let's not go there.

I've sat outside there on several occasions in the past and have signed the petition.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Save My Local on 20:49 - Apr 12 with 1826 viewsstonojnr

Save My Local on 18:39 - Apr 12 by Leaky

If its the only pub in your village or locality you can claim it as village asset. Get in touch with Camra they will help you out legally. A few pubs around where I live have done it succsrsvaly . It stops them from being sold to speculators,

well no thats not what it does, its primarily a delaying tactic to allow locals to have the opportunity to put together their own bid to buy the pub themselves if the owners are selling it.But EI arent selling this pub they are simply not extending the lease of the current tennants and looking for new ones, for whatever reason, the fact is EI arent selling this pub yet, so ACV status wont make any difference to that, it doesnt offer protection to existing tennants.

Regardless ACVs have been round for years now, pubs shouldnt at this stage be suddenly thinking they need them, either it is an ACV and needs registering, or its not.

Plus it would be remiss of me not to ask so why arent the Rising Sun or Victoria Arms considered working-mans pubs in Brentwood ?

sorry know these arent the answers you are looking for, but its the reality of the pub trade
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024