Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it 09:33 - Jun 7 with 2779 viewsitfcjoe

I absolutely hate it for what it is doing to the game - as soon as I saw the VAR tam announced at the start of the game I knew it would ruin it and it did.

Offside by a toe, what happened to 'daylight' and 'benefit of the doubt to the attacker'? If it takes 4 minutes to work out whether it was offside or not then the system doesn't work.

VAR on offsides needs to come back when it is as instant as goal line technology, or an over rule can be done on one view on the camera.

At what point does the TV director pause the screen? When the foot touches the bal to pass it? Or when the foot is no longer in contact with the ball? Sounds silly but that is 4 or 5 frames on the TV and when offside is now being given by inches it matters.

It just ruins the game for the spectator in the ground, people will stop celebrating goals properly because of it - those moments of #scenes and #limbs will be lost forever, no longer will a quick glimpse at the lino's flag be all you need.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:40 - Jun 7 with 2505 viewsrickw

They got rid of the daylight rule years ago.
No neutrals care if a player is offside by a toe or a kneecap or whatever, I would change the rule so if VAR officials can't determine if a player is offside after 30 seconds then it's called level and everyone moves on!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:43 - Jun 7 with 2499 viewsHarry_Palmer

Agree with everything you say. That goal should have stood last night in my opinion but regardless, the amount of time it took to make the decision was painfully slow.
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:48 - Jun 7 with 2482 viewsSarge

Yeah, bin it. Goal line technology has eliminated the most galling and obvious errors anyway, VAR is a step too far.
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:51 - Jun 7 with 2467 viewsSamWhiteUK

It really is, far too slow.

The thing that annoys me the most is the ambiguity of the phrase "clear and obvious error".

My understanding would be that they shouldn't have reviewed England's goal yesterday, because it wasn't clear an obvious that the ref had missed an offside. The review of the "handball" a couple of minutes later (which obviously hit our defender's back, I could see that with one view of the replay, no idea why it took so long) was completely ridiculous, it wasn't a clear and obvious error at all.

It then dawned on me that "a clear and obvious error" could mean that they're going to look at everything, and if the referee has clearly got it wrong AFTER looking at the video (no matter how obscure the infraction should be) then its corrected.

Personally, I think if it's going to be used, the former interpretation is much better than the latter. The goal and the definitely-not-hand-ball resulted in 7 minutes of added time!! It's a farce in its current state
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:52 - Jun 7 with 2464 viewsBluefish

It really is horrendous and I am amazed that people support it and can't see the damage that it is doing to football.

I was at Sony last week and told them my thoughts on it, the bloke i met agreed though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:52 - Jun 7 with 2464 viewsitfcjoe

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:48 - Jun 7 by Sarge

Yeah, bin it. Goal line technology has eliminated the most galling and obvious errors anyway, VAR is a step too far.

At some point VAR on offsides will be able to be as instant as GLT is, until that point I don't want to see it.

GLT is brilliant, I'm not anti technology in the game - it just has to be better

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:56 - Jun 7 with 2425 viewsitfcjoe

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:52 - Jun 7 by Bluefish

It really is horrendous and I am amazed that people support it and can't see the damage that it is doing to football.

I was at Sony last week and told them my thoughts on it, the bloke i met agreed though

What do Sony have to do with it? Are they the tech providers?

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:57 - Jun 7 with 2419 viewsBluefish

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:56 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

What do Sony have to do with it? Are they the tech providers?

Yes they own Hawkeye and do all of the var as well

Login to get fewer ads

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:58 - Jun 7 with 2405 viewsitfcjoe

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:57 - Jun 7 by Bluefish

I'm sure it will all improve - but football is too subjective and the rules are not written in black and white.

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:58 - Jun 7 with 2403 viewshomer_123

I said way, way back Joe.

This kind of technology removes the best aspects of football.....it removes all the talking points (genuine) - removes the water cooler moments and discussions.

Being a fan of Ipswich, our history and DNA as a Club and fans are made of events such as a certain referee in a match back in the day for example and other things.

It makes the game, cold, clinical and devoid of emotion for me.

I'd argue the same with Cricket....what's the point of celebrating a wicket when it can removed.....why remove the Human element....what's the point?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:01 - Jun 7 with 2383 viewsartsbossbeard

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:58 - Jun 7 by homer_123

I said way, way back Joe.

This kind of technology removes the best aspects of football.....it removes all the talking points (genuine) - removes the water cooler moments and discussions.

Being a fan of Ipswich, our history and DNA as a Club and fans are made of events such as a certain referee in a match back in the day for example and other things.

It makes the game, cold, clinical and devoid of emotion for me.

I'd argue the same with Cricket....what's the point of celebrating a wicket when it can removed.....why remove the Human element....what's the point?

I'm a big fan of goal line the as it's instant and decisive. VAR needs to work better & quicker.

Did you see the Windies game yesterday though? Gayle given out twice but on review both were incorrect.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:05 - Jun 7 with 2363 viewsrickw

Say last game of next season, we are being promoted then an opponent punches the ball into the net costing us our promotion - I'm not sure if many then will be saying their glad we don't have VAR

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:05 - Jun 7 with 2356 viewsBluefish

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:58 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

I'm sure it will all improve - but football is too subjective and the rules are not written in black and white.

Completely agree. Goal line tech is great but it is simple, clear and quick. The handball thing is ridiculous, even if it is the right decision for the law as it is today, it hasn't made the game better

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:06 - Jun 7 with 2352 viewsNo9

Haven't we got to this position because of TV companies and their 'Pundits' who need controversy to keep them employed?
How many times have we had ref's castigated by 'Pundits' simply because after reviewing videos XXX times post match, with no consideration being given to what four offficials saw at any given moment in time.
It is TV / Broadcasters & 'Pundits' who are to blame.

As an example how bad things can be-
R5L said the 3rd Dutch goal was due to Stiones being useless while ITV blamed Barkley
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:10 - Jun 7 with 2303 viewsitfcjoe

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:05 - Jun 7 by rickw

Say last game of next season, we are being promoted then an opponent punches the ball into the net costing us our promotion - I'm not sure if many then will be saying their glad we don't have VAR

I'd be willing to take my chances that that hugely unlikely scenario won't play out for the good of the game

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:11 - Jun 7 with 2288 viewsReuser_is_God

Totally agree.

Needs to be a clear & obvious area which can be spotted after watching a replay once or twice.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:29 - Jun 7 with 2227 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yep, that goal decision last night is not what VAR should be about.

That was the definition of pedantry, and it took soooo long for the decision to be made.

I thought the idea was that a challenge would be made if there looked to have been an error, not checking every decision to see if someone is a mm off side.

Either VAR needs to change, or the offside rule needs to change.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:30 - Jun 7 with 2220 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:05 - Jun 7 by rickw

To be fair, that is hyperbole of the highest order, and VAR is probably meant more for that kind of decision than checking if someone is a mm offside.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:31 - Jun 7 with 2216 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:51 - Jun 7 by SamWhiteUK

It really is, far too slow.

The thing that annoys me the most is the ambiguity of the phrase "clear and obvious error".

My understanding would be that they shouldn't have reviewed England's goal yesterday, because it wasn't clear an obvious that the ref had missed an offside. The review of the "handball" a couple of minutes later (which obviously hit our defender's back, I could see that with one view of the replay, no idea why it took so long) was completely ridiculous, it wasn't a clear and obvious error at all.

It then dawned on me that "a clear and obvious error" could mean that they're going to look at everything, and if the referee has clearly got it wrong AFTER looking at the video (no matter how obscure the infraction should be) then its corrected.

Personally, I think if it's going to be used, the former interpretation is much better than the latter. The goal and the definitely-not-hand-ball resulted in 7 minutes of added time!! It's a farce in its current state

Agreed.

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:31 - Jun 7 with 2205 viewshomer_123

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:01 - Jun 7 by artsbossbeard

I'm a big fan of goal line the as it's instant and decisive. VAR needs to work better & quicker.

Did you see the Windies game yesterday though? Gayle given out twice but on review both were incorrect.

Yep, I did ABB but that's the point - it removes the human element - sanitizes it - which takes away a core element of sport for me.

Injustice incorrect calls are all part of the mix.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:35 - Jun 7 with 2188 viewsartsbossbeard

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:31 - Jun 7 by homer_123

Yep, I did ABB but that's the point - it removes the human element - sanitizes it - which takes away a core element of sport for me.

Injustice incorrect calls are all part of the mix.

I'm going to contradict myself here as Gayle was out next over BUT peoples pay their money to see players like him smash the ball into the crowd.

To deprive the paying customer of this via a wrong umpiring decision with the technology to hand seems unjust.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:47 - Jun 7 with 2130 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 09:57 - Jun 7 by Bluefish

Hawkeye works well in cricket .
So Var-
Maybe accidental handball should be an indirect free kick if the cross or shot wasn’t on target .
If on target a penalty should be awarded.
Deliberate handball remains the same.
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 11:18 - Jun 7 with 2080 viewslongtimefan

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 10:35 - Jun 7 by artsbossbeard

I'm going to contradict myself here as Gayle was out next over BUT peoples pay their money to see players like him smash the ball into the crowd.

To deprive the paying customer of this via a wrong umpiring decision with the technology to hand seems unjust.

Except in this case, even with DRS in place the dismissal was wrong. TV later showed that the ball previous was actually a no-ball, meaning that the ball that dismissed Gayle should have been a free-hit!
VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 11:19 - Jun 7 with 2072 viewsartsbossbeard

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 11:18 - Jun 7 by longtimefan

Except in this case, even with DRS in place the dismissal was wrong. TV later showed that the ball previous was actually a no-ball, meaning that the ball that dismissed Gayle should have been a free-hit!

Ha! I didn't know that.

The Convicts name is on the cup then.

VAR is absolute sh*t isn't it on 11:35 - Jun 7 with 2038 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

I'd prefer a challenge system like tennis.

each side can challenge a decision once a match, instead of every decision going under scrutiny.

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024