Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars 19:11 - Jun 7 with 3628 viewsElderGrizzly

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:17 - Jun 7 with 940 viewswkj

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:13 - Jun 7 by ronnyd

For all his well known failings i don,t think Trump could have amassed his wealth by being totally stupid.

He had a fairly hefty head start dropped in his lap. I'm willing to bet the ifmost members of this board inherited the starting capital and contacts he had when he came of age, they would be much better off than him, bezos levels of success

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:21 - Jun 7 with 940 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:13 - Jun 7 by ronnyd

For all his well known failings i don,t think Trump could have amassed his wealth by being totally stupid.

He didn’t amass his wealth. It was given to him.

Hasn’t someone worked out he’d be richer now if he’d just stuck his inheryin a savings account? Or is that an urban myth or me just imagining things?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:23 - Jun 7 with 934 viewswkj

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:21 - Jun 7 by Swansea_Blue

He didn’t amass his wealth. It was given to him.

Hasn’t someone worked out he’d be richer now if he’d just stuck his inheryin a savings account? Or is that an urban myth or me just imagining things?

Like I said before you. Bezos and his growth should suggest trump has not done very well, especially during a number of property booms in his life time.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:29 - Jun 7 with 926 viewsronnyd

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:23 - Jun 7 by wkj

Like I said before you. Bezos and his growth should suggest trump has not done very well, especially during a number of property booms in his life time.

Did he lose it all once or have i got that wrong? Just asking.
Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:33 - Jun 7 with 921 viewsstig4532

No, he is saying that going to the moon again is a step towards going to Mars. Poorly worded...
Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:34 - Jun 7 with 917 viewsStokieBlue

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:11 - Jun 7 by bluelagos

Cheers. Am struggling to get my head round that tbh, but thats probably why I'd be fuk all use to Nasa :-)

Think of it like this:

A rocket on a direct journey from the Earth to Mars might require 90% of the mass to be fuel in order to escape from Earth and make the journey. This means you can't actually take that much stuff with you.

If that rocket instead went to the moon then you could replace a lot of the mass used for fuel with mass containing useful things to use on Mars (rovers, modules etc). You can then launch this to Mars from the moon needing far less fuel because the gravitational force on the Moon is only 17% of that on Earth.

The other option is to completely refuel and then have a constant acceleration to Mars for longer which would mean you would get there quicker. This is probably less desirable than something like an ion engine for constant acceleration or taking more useful things.

The issue with rockets is that to make them larger you need more fuel but that fuel is also heavy so you need more fuel to carry the weight of the extra fuel. Using the Moon as a stop eliminates a lot of these diminishing returns.

SB
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 21:36]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:52 - Jun 7 with 877 viewsbluelagos

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:34 - Jun 7 by StokieBlue

Think of it like this:

A rocket on a direct journey from the Earth to Mars might require 90% of the mass to be fuel in order to escape from Earth and make the journey. This means you can't actually take that much stuff with you.

If that rocket instead went to the moon then you could replace a lot of the mass used for fuel with mass containing useful things to use on Mars (rovers, modules etc). You can then launch this to Mars from the moon needing far less fuel because the gravitational force on the Moon is only 17% of that on Earth.

The other option is to completely refuel and then have a constant acceleration to Mars for longer which would mean you would get there quicker. This is probably less desirable than something like an ion engine for constant acceleration or taking more useful things.

The issue with rockets is that to make them larger you need more fuel but that fuel is also heavy so you need more fuel to carry the weight of the extra fuel. Using the Moon as a stop eliminates a lot of these diminishing returns.

SB
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 21:36]

Cheers. The harvesting of hydrogen and use of that as rocket fuel was the bit I didnt realise. Had thought posters were implying we fly and store fuel on the moon.

See the logic of pressing go with the lowest gravity (to hold you back) which surely would be the space station rather than the moon?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:57 - Jun 7 with 870 viewsStokieBlue

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:52 - Jun 7 by bluelagos

Cheers. The harvesting of hydrogen and use of that as rocket fuel was the bit I didnt realise. Had thought posters were implying we fly and store fuel on the moon.

See the logic of pressing go with the lowest gravity (to hold you back) which surely would be the space station rather than the moon?

Yes, if you had to take the fuel to the moon first it would be pointless as you say. The fact you can manufacture it there makes all the difference.

The ISS could work but it's not as good as the moon for a few reasons:

- Can't make fuel there so you would have to carry it up which defeats the point.

- You can make a much more massive infrastructure including manufacturing facilities on a body such as the moon. A lot of stuff could be constructed there to save carrying it up from Earth. Manufacturing is probably easy in even light gravity compared to no gravity.

- You could actually make it safer for the people living there on the moon by using lava tubes to protect from the solar wind for long duration stays.

- The moon could conceivably be the launching point for multiple missions at the same time - ISS just isn't big enough.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 01:00 - Jun 8 with 838 viewsBlueBadger

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:29 - Jun 7 by ronnyd

Did he lose it all once or have i got that wrong? Just asking.

You have got it wrong. He went bankrupt 4 times.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/fame-fortune/celebs-didnt-know-bankrupt/donald

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 01:24 - Jun 8 with 835 viewsBlueBadger

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 21:33 - Jun 7 by stig4532

No, he is saying that going to the moon again is a step towards going to Mars. Poorly worded...

And this is the main problem here. Is it unreasonable to expect a bloke with his finger on the Bog Red Button to at least be vaguely literate?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 14:36 - Jun 8 with 778 viewsRyorry

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 01:00 - Jun 8 by BlueBadger

You have got it wrong. He went bankrupt 4 times.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/fame-fortune/celebs-didnt-know-bankrupt/donald

...And also helped keep his head above water by his "creative" approach to his neighbours' boundaries in Scotland, vandalising their water supplies etc & effectively attempting to steal their land - in the process using bullying & intimidation as "negotiation" tools ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 14:38 - Jun 8 with 777 viewsRyorry

Trump just declared the Moon is part of Mars on 01:24 - Jun 8 by BlueBadger

And this is the main problem here. Is it unreasonable to expect a bloke with his finger on the Bog Red Button to at least be vaguely literate?

Beautiful Freudian slip typo there Badger - bog or desert being what half the planet could end up as!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024