Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peoples thoughts on this? 09:10 - Jul 18 with 1671 viewsStokieBlue

Not a brilliant comparison to make but looks to have been taken in a strange way by the leaders office and she was sacked within a day. Is this really comparing him to Nazis?

“Those of you who haven’t [read the book] will have watched the film ­Bunker, about the last days of ­Hitler, of how you stop receiving into the inner group any information which suggests that things are not going the way you want.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/17/labour-shadow-brexit-minister-s

Some Labour MPs aren't too impressed (Streeting):

“gross over-reaction to a comment that was actually about Jeremy Corbyn’s bunker mentality”

“This sacking only reinforces her point. The speed of this sacking shows that Labour’s leader is quick to act to protect his feelings, but slow to act against racists. The double standards are extraordinary."

It does seem that at every turn the leaders office are doing things which make their lot in general worse. It's a strange strategy.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:15 - Jul 18 with 1641 viewsfooters

Funny that openly criticising your party leader could end up getting you the sack. It used to be called 'party discipline' and maybe still is. But of course, if it's Corbyn, then it's pure Stalinism.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:18 - Jul 18 with 1624 viewsPendejo

One of my favourite phrases comes into play here...

'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.'

But in this instance the subject matter is "not allowed" to be referenced as it uses Nazis. See example already filed under Livingstone, K

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:21 - Jul 18 with 1602 viewsGuthrum

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:15 - Jul 18 by footers

Funny that openly criticising your party leader could end up getting you the sack. It used to be called 'party discipline' and maybe still is. But of course, if it's Corbyn, then it's pure Stalinism.

Party discipline in the past never extended to instant sacking for fairly general criticism of the leader's position (or, in this case, of his close circle of advisors).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:23 - Jul 18 with 1594 viewsfooters

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:21 - Jul 18 by Guthrum

Party discipline in the past never extended to instant sacking for fairly general criticism of the leader's position (or, in this case, of his close circle of advisors).

Well, perhaps comparing him to Hitler was just a step too far in that case. Not the sort of thing I'd say to my boss, no matter how much I meant it.

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:24 - Jul 18 with 1591 viewsblueislander

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:21 - Jul 18 by Guthrum

This is the same Corbyn , who , I believe holds the record for the number of times he has defied the whip.
Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:25 - Jul 18 with 1591 viewsStokieBlue

Not what I said was it.

I said is it actually comparing him to Nazis. It's not really, it's comparing mindsets with regards to filtering information which is totally different. To then justify the sacking as "comparison to Nazis" seems incorrect.

As for criticising the leader - JC spent decades doing that. Looks a bit like he likes to give it but not receive it. You are of course right that in a shadow cabinet position that usually will cost you your job though.

SB

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:25 - Jul 18 with 1589 viewsStokieBlue

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:23 - Jul 18 by footers

Well, perhaps comparing him to Hitler was just a step too far in that case. Not the sort of thing I'd say to my boss, no matter how much I meant it.

But she didn't compare him to Hitler, certainly not in the way you are implying.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 9:25]

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:25 - Jul 18 with 1589 viewsSteve_M

She has been sacked for being entirely correct. Corbyn is entitled to do so I suppose but, again, it reflects the unwillingness at the top of the party to deal with anti-semitism.

Has anyone done a downfall parody of this yet?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:28 - Jul 18 with 1566 viewsitfcjoe

They are absolutely hopeless, how they have managed to get control of the Labour party is a disgrace - they need to disappear back to the SWP or some other protest party and let the people who actually want to improve the country rather than fight with each other get on with things

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:29 - Jul 18 with 1556 viewsfooters

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:25 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

But she didn't compare him to Hitler, certainly not in the way you are implying.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 9:25]

Would it have been at all possible to make the same point without mentioning history's most famous antisemite? I'm sure it could have been. But it wasn't.

Oh well. Too late now.

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:31 - Jul 18 with 1542 viewsGuthrum

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:24 - Jul 18 by blueislander

This is the same Corbyn , who , I believe holds the record for the number of times he has defied the whip.

Altho he was not a (shadow) minister at the time. Back benchers have a lot more leeway.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:31 - Jul 18 with 1542 viewspickles110564

Don't ever agree with you usually but this must be POTD.
Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:33 - Jul 18 with 1531 viewsStokieBlue

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:31 - Jul 18 by pickles110564

Don't ever agree with you usually but this must be POTD.

Can you go and answer the economic points in the thread from the other day please. I think everyone is quite tired of you posted totally unsupported assertions and then doing a runner when challenged.

SB

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:34 - Jul 18 with 1523 viewsblueislander

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:31 - Jul 18 by Guthrum

Altho he was not a (shadow) minister at the time. Back benchers have a lot more leeway.

Maybe , but it still refers to party discipline.
Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:34 - Jul 18 with 1522 viewsStokieBlue

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:29 - Jul 18 by footers

Would it have been at all possible to make the same point without mentioning history's most famous antisemite? I'm sure it could have been. But it wasn't.

Oh well. Too late now.

That is fair, although it's the best example of bunker mentality I can think of off the top of my head.

I acknowledged in the first line of my OP that it wasn't the best comparison to be making.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 9:35]

Peoples thoughts on this? on 11:57 - Jul 18 with 1381 viewslowhouseblue

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:34 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

That is fair, although it's the best example of bunker mentality I can think of off the top of my head.

I acknowledged in the first line of my OP that it wasn't the best comparison to be making.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 9:35]

labour peers look to be moving to a vote of no confidence in corbyn.

'bunker mentality' seems an apt description of corbyn's office to me.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Peoples thoughts on this? on 12:00 - Jul 18 with 1372 viewslowhouseblue

Peoples thoughts on this? on 09:29 - Jul 18 by footers

Oh well. Too late now.

I think the derivation of 'bunker mentality' must be from hitler's final days - the phrase was first used in 1974. so I think the answer to your question is: no. any use of the phrase involves an implicit reference to the end of the german leadership. but it's an image we all use.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Peoples thoughts on this? on 12:03 - Jul 18 with 1361 viewsfooters

Peoples thoughts on this? on 12:00 - Jul 18 by lowhouseblue

I think the derivation of 'bunker mentality' must be from hitler's final days - the phrase was first used in 1974. so I think the answer to your question is: no. any use of the phrase involves an implicit reference to the end of the german leadership. but it's an image we all use.

Golfers were using it long before then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024