Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Webster 20m 13:17 - Aug 1 with 3671 viewsWestcountryblue

It's incredibly frustrating to see a club like Bristol City cash potentially 25m for Adam Webster. In terms of our size, backing, infrastructure we are a bigger club than City, but are a real soft touch when any sizeable bid being tabled for any of our players. Fair play to City though for saying early on in the summer that they want 30m.

Whereas the Webster deal we negotiated and more so the Tommy Smith deal to Colorado Rapids underline a real naivety and lack of business acumen...letting a seasoned Championship CB with nearly 300 games under his belt go essentially on a gap year for free because it was a 'great opportunity for the lad'. The championship is one of the biggest leagues in the world commercially.

Same with Mings, probably a case of holding on to him for another season and slapping another 5m on his price tag at the end of the season rather than being lulled in by 1 good loanee and an average striker.

I think Lambert is a more straight shooter when it comes to playing hard ball in terms of negotiations, and it's pleasing to see us show more resolve with Judge and Dozzell.
Webster 20m on 14:23 - Aug 1 with 826 viewsGeoffSentence

Aside from historical success I would not say that we are a bigger club than Brizzle.

Recently they have been getting bigger crowds than us, their income is much greater than ours, and of course they have a much bigger catchment, what with Brizzle being a big city and all.

Nevertheless I agree with you, it is galling to think that we managed to get relative peanuts for him to a club in the same league, they have him for one year and suddenly his value explodes.

We must be doing something wrong at the club, I dunno, maybe it's the style of football that doesn't allow players to develop or shine.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Webster 20m on 14:29 - Aug 1 with 821 viewsitfcjoe

Webster 20m on 14:19 - Aug 1 by clive_baker

£8m + Pitman + Fraser on loan. It was an excellent deal.

Quite a few captain hindsights on here who on the one hand claim we should've snapped £8m off Leicester for McGoldrick but are critical that we sold Mings for that. Very easy after the event.

I do agree we were robbed for Webster and Cresswell. £3m a piece for 2 young, English players like that who were clearly very, very good footballers was daylight robbery.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 14:22]

Cresswell only went to the PL because Mick got on the phone to Allardyce and persuaded him to buy him - would have gone to Fulham otherwise so wasn't any suitors there for him which indicates price must have been about right.

Webster was a silly deal, he is exactly the type of player that had he put a good season together was going to be worth a lot - which is why we didn't entertain bids for him in January

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Webster 20m on 14:31 - Aug 1 with 807 viewsLKW15

Webster 20m on 14:23 - Aug 1 by GeoffSentence

Aside from historical success I would not say that we are a bigger club than Brizzle.

Recently they have been getting bigger crowds than us, their income is much greater than ours, and of course they have a much bigger catchment, what with Brizzle being a big city and all.

Nevertheless I agree with you, it is galling to think that we managed to get relative peanuts for him to a club in the same league, they have him for one year and suddenly his value explodes.

We must be doing something wrong at the club, I dunno, maybe it's the style of football that doesn't allow players to develop or shine.

they also have a sport mad billionaire owner who crucially is willing to invest in the club both on and off the pitch. Stadium redevelopment, new training ground etc etc
Webster 20m on 14:33 - Aug 1 with 804 viewsHerbivore

Webster 20m on 14:29 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

Cresswell only went to the PL because Mick got on the phone to Allardyce and persuaded him to buy him - would have gone to Fulham otherwise so wasn't any suitors there for him which indicates price must have been about right.

Webster was a silly deal, he is exactly the type of player that had he put a good season together was going to be worth a lot - which is why we didn't entertain bids for him in January

Pretty sure with add ons we ended up getting over £6m for Cresswell.

Webster is a tricky one. £3.5m up front doesn't look a lot now but his injury record was pretty poor and, partly because of the injuries I imagine, he'd looked pretty hit and miss in his 2 years here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Webster 20m on 14:33 - Aug 1 with 804 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 14:23 - Aug 1 by GeoffSentence

Knowing a few City fans, good feeling, momentum from their rise from league one and the odd injection of funds here and there from Steve Landsdown has played a bit part in their rise in crowds.

I think it just boils down to a bit of naivety in terms of knowing when and how much to sell our prized assets for. E.g the sale of Murphy was spot on give his age and price. In other instances e.g Webster, Tommy Smith etc...we've shown very little nous
Webster 20m on 14:37 - Aug 1 with 794 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Webster 20m on 14:21 - Aug 1 by Westcountryblue

Might not be a conventional or popular view.

But I stand by what I say. We could hang on to young, English players a lot longer and see more money from it.

I posted something similar last year

Evans bent over the negotiations table...again ! by Westcountryblue 27 Jun 2018 16:10
Here are the facts...

1 . Norwich showed much more resolve at the negotiations table. 22m for Maddison is a cracking deal, 5m for Webster is pathetic.
2. Bristol have sold a 28 year old CB, who is a similar standard of player to Webster for 7m. Webster is 23 years old, with the potential to be a far superior defender. Yet somehow Bristol City have ended up banking 2m...We should have asked for 7m at least.
3. PH will have to spend a decent amount of the money he receives on replacing Webster. A similar quality replacement won't be cheap.
4. Nothing over the past few years suggests that PH will see much of this money.
5. Selling to a division rival...smacks of a lack of ambition.
6. Portsmouth will see some of this money.

I'd have like to have seen a bit more backbone from ME at the negotiation table.

We've been robbed here.

And got absolutely hammered for it. A 25 million pound bid one year later and I’d say my credibility isn’t all that bad

All of the above has no relevance.

We sold Mings 4 years ago in 2015. At the time the world transfer record was c.£85m.

It was in 2017 that the Neymar deal caused hyper inflation in the transfer market, coupled with a new TV deal.

The FACT is, the Mings deal reflected market value at the time and was a good deal.

Adding hindsight in is pure folly.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Webster 20m on 14:37 - Aug 1 with 795 viewsElderGrizzly

Webster 20m on 14:33 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

Webster is a tricky one. £3.5m up front doesn't look a lot now but his injury record was pretty poor and, partly because of the injuries I imagine, he'd looked pretty hit and miss in his 2 years here.

And at the time the Webster deal was up-to £8.5m with add-ons etc.

Still too cheap and we should have got more up front
Webster 20m on 14:44 - Aug 1 with 781 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

It’s frustrating to see them make big losses each season. £24M & £19M the last 2.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Login to get fewer ads

Webster 20m on 14:46 - Aug 1 with 774 viewsitfcjoe

Webster 20m on 14:37 - Aug 1 by ElderGrizzly

And at the time the Webster deal was up-to £8.5m with add-ons etc.

Still too cheap and we should have got more up front

Was it?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Webster 20m on 14:48 - Aug 1 with 768 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 14:37 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

All of the above has no relevance.

We sold Mings 4 years ago in 2015. At the time the world transfer record was c.£85m.

It was in 2017 that the Neymar deal caused hyper inflation in the transfer market, coupled with a new TV deal.

The FACT is, the Mings deal reflected market value at the time and was a good deal.

Adding hindsight in is pure folly.

The same year that James Chester, Robbie Brady, Andre Gray, Jordan Rhodes,Benik Afobe, Bradley Johnson, Michail Antonio all moved for similar, if not more money ?

I stand by what i say. Keeping continuity across the back 4 in a play off achieving team, saving money on having to make direct replacements and holding fire a little longer before selling young English players in a market in which is ever inflating would've been my stance, just like it was for Webster.

You're welcome to your view, i respect it. But don't go calling people out on their credibility...
Webster 20m on 14:49 - Aug 1 with 764 viewsElderGrizzly

Webster 20m on 14:46 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

Was it?

Sure that was what was reported in the local press and on here?
Webster 20m on 14:52 - Aug 1 with 759 viewsHerbivore

Webster 20m on 14:49 - Aug 1 by ElderGrizzly

Sure that was what was reported in the local press and on here?

Yeah, fee was rising to £8.5m with top ups.

Webster 20m on 15:03 - Aug 1 with 741 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Webster 20m on 14:48 - Aug 1 by Westcountryblue

The same year that James Chester, Robbie Brady, Andre Gray, Jordan Rhodes,Benik Afobe, Bradley Johnson, Michail Antonio all moved for similar, if not more money ?

I stand by what i say. Keeping continuity across the back 4 in a play off achieving team, saving money on having to make direct replacements and holding fire a little longer before selling young English players in a market in which is ever inflating would've been my stance, just like it was for Webster.

You're welcome to your view, i respect it. But don't go calling people out on their credibility...

I quote;

"The same year that James Chester, Robbie Brady, Andre Gray, Jordan Rhodes,Benik Afobe, Bradley Johnson, Michail Antonio all moved for similar, if not more money ? "

....you make my point for me.... the Mings deal represented market value.

Discussion closed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Webster 20m on 16:30 - Aug 1 with 717 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 15:03 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I quote;

"The same year that James Chester, Robbie Brady, Andre Gray, Jordan Rhodes,Benik Afobe, Bradley Johnson, Michail Antonio all moved for similar, if not more money ? "

....you make my point for me.... the Mings deal represented market value.

Discussion closed.

Do you understand the concept of appreciation...
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 18:22]
Webster 20m on 16:36 - Aug 1 with 709 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Webster 20m on 16:30 - Aug 1 by Westcountryblue

Do you understand the concept of appreciation...
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 18:22]

I understand everything.

Webster 20m on 16:39 - Aug 1 with 700 viewsBrixtonBlue

Webster 20m on 16:36 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I understand everything.

Can you explain women to me?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Webster 20m on 16:53 - Aug 1 with 672 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Webster 20m on 16:39 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

Can you explain women to me?

Ah, erm, well.......

Webster 20m on 17:31 - Aug 1 with 647 viewsstrikalite

Webster 20m on 14:33 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

£3.5m up front was peanuts, maybe it was down to his questionable fitness, so Ok take the £3.5m but for Christ sake you surely make sure you have a big sell on percentage in place to recoup what he proved to be worth...
Webster 20m on 17:43 - Aug 1 with 636 viewsTractorCam

Webster 20m on 14:03 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

We turned down £7m for McGoldrick, so how does that fit with your not hanging on for a better price theory?

Why has the OP ignored this comment?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Webster 20m on 18:24 - Aug 1 with 617 viewsBrixtonBlue

Webster 20m on 17:43 - Aug 1 by TractorCam

Why has the OP ignored this comment?

Beats me.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Webster 20m on 18:27 - Aug 1 with 615 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 17:31 - Aug 1 by strikalite

£3.5m up front was peanuts, maybe it was down to his questionable fitness, so Ok take the £3.5m but for Christ sake you surely make sure you have a big sell on percentage in place to recoup what he proved to be worth...

Finally, some sense!

I said this last year and got absolutely hammered on here with the vast majority content with the deal.

Doesn't take a genius to work out that talented, young British players will appreciate in value when transfer fees are inflating year on year.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 18:28]
Webster 20m on 18:44 - Aug 1 with 589 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 14:03 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

We turned down £7m for McGoldrick, so how does that fit with your not hanging on for a better price theory?

Which was the correct decision to make.

I think the theory holds true for young, talented English players. A good example would be Jack Grealish who had suitors after Villa got relegated. After a couple of good seasons, inflation and a firm stance from Villa, they will now be able to sell him for much more than they could've. Same could be said with Webster. If we had held firm, managed him well, we might be in the position Bristol City now find themselves in...not to mention being 9m better off. Could've done the same with Mings.

McGoldrick was different. He was older and 7m was as good as it was ever going to get for him. Given his value to the team, partnership with Murphy, goals and the cost involved in bringing in a like for like replacement, rejecting the deal was a good decision. Not backing Mick in January was the mistake that year.
Webster 20m on 19:00 - Aug 1 with 580 viewsBrixtonBlue

Webster 20m on 18:44 - Aug 1 by Westcountryblue

I think the theory holds true for young, talented English players. A good example would be Jack Grealish who had suitors after Villa got relegated. After a couple of good seasons, inflation and a firm stance from Villa, they will now be able to sell him for much more than they could've. Same could be said with Webster. If we had held firm, managed him well, we might be in the position Bristol City now find themselves in...not to mention being 9m better off. Could've done the same with Mings.

McGoldrick was different. He was older and 7m was as good as it was ever going to get for him. Given his value to the team, partnership with Murphy, goals and the cost involved in bringing in a like for like replacement, rejecting the deal was a good decision. Not backing Mick in January was the mistake that year.

This is all very lovely in hindsight.

Mings cost us £10k and we sold him for what, £6/7m?! How anyone can say that's not an amazing deal is beyond me. Probably the best deal in our history.

You mess up your own argument with McGoldrick. "He was older and 7m was as good as it was ever going to get for him." By the logic you've placed on other players' deals we should have sold him then!

As others have said, the market has exploded since these sales. Some we get right, some we could've got more. It is what it is.

Webster 20m on 19:08 - Aug 1 with 572 viewsHerbivore

Webster 20m on 18:44 - Aug 1 by Westcountryblue

I see you follow the crystal ball method for judging transfer business.

Webster 20m on 19:28 - Aug 1 with 562 viewsgordon

Really the only one that sticks out to me is the Webster deal - there has been a big shift in playing style in the Premier League towards trying to pass the ball out of your own penalty area, goalkeepers very rarely playing it long etc, trying to pass through the press. Even ten or so years ago ball-playing centre-backs who make the odd mistake like John Stones were mistrusted by lots of managers. But now it's sort of accepted that it'll happen every now and then, and prices for ball-playing centre-backs like Webster are rocketing because of their value in being able to start attacks.

The fact that Nsiala and Donacien were both brought in by Hurst, given that he would have known all about their limitations on the ball, suggests that these thuoghts were not uppermost in his mind, and Evans would have just been thinking that £3.5m was a good return on an £800,000 investment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024