Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is the government tackling knife crime? 22:06 - Aug 14 with 4101 viewsHerbivore

By placing adverts inside fried chicken boxes. We are officially in a post-satire age. Brass Eye couldn't have made up sh!t like this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 1064 viewsMugwump

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:07 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

Ridiculous.

Would be interesting to see the reasoning for it from the planning session, I think we know how it might have gone.

SB

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/12/chicken-shop-drug-gangs-recruit-

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/chicken-shop-gangs-use-free-food-to-lure-k
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:31 - Aug 15 with 1062 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 by caught-in-limbo

Your comment is little more than a "I think all your comments are rubbish."

Comments like this only serve to make the atmosphere on the forum more fractious.

If you don't like someone's opinions, at least explain why or ask the poster to explain his comments in greater detail. If you think that would be a futile exercise, just ignore the comment. Ignoring people is incredibly effective

Most of us can form our own opinions on others' views without having to hear what one of the board regulars has to say.

Thanks for another stellar contribution.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:32 - Aug 15 with 1061 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

That's not evidence, that's a quote from someone basically saying that doing something is better than doing nothing but more needs to be done. There's no evidence to support this kind of approach working and this approach doesn't remotely get to the heart of how young people are groomed into joining criminal gangs.

You say there is no evidence this isn't part of a wider programme, well there's no evidence that it is either. They aren't reopening youth services across the country. They are increasing stop and search, police on the streets, and prison spaces - none of which get to the root causes of the problem by the way.

So doing something is better than nothing then? So it's not incredibly silly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:32 - Aug 15 with 1057 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 by Mugwump

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/12/chicken-shop-drug-gangs-recruit-

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/chicken-shop-gangs-use-free-food-to-lure-k

Read more than just the headline and the real issue is kids being excluded from school being vulnerable. Putting messages inside chicken boxes doesn't tackle that issue.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:34 - Aug 15 with 1050 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:32 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

So doing something is better than nothing then? So it's not incredibly silly

In his view and yours, in my view - especially when we have limited resources - it's better to do your research and do something meaningful rather than wasting money on a tokenkstic gesture. It's reactionary and nothing more.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:35 - Aug 15 with 1046 viewsMugwump

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:32 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

Read more than just the headline and the real issue is kids being excluded from school being vulnerable. Putting messages inside chicken boxes doesn't tackle that issue.

How patronising.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:35 - Aug 15 with 1046 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:32 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

It says more than that:

LGfL’s online safety and safeguarding manager, Mark Bentley, said: “In terms of schools or parents who might think this wouldn’t happen in this leafy area, chicken shops are legion, and kids like to hit the chicken shop on the way home from school.

“It’s so easy for them to think, ‘oh, I can save a couple of quid’, and it’s easy to get sucked in.”

This indicates it is not just kids who have been excluded

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:39 - Aug 15 with 1028 viewscaught-in-limbo

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:10 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

I don't think it is that silly, just another little 'nudge', all these things add up

Agree. I think these things do add up. It's how shaping a society's awareness and opinions works: bit by bit. I expect and hope that it's the first part of a wider campaign. I think people think this is just a way of sending a message to a potential knife user. That's missing the point. It's probably also about shaping the public's attitude to knife crime to a point where it's just unacceptable, but sickeningly cowardly.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 9:56]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Login to get fewer ads

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:42 - Aug 15 with 1016 viewsMugwump

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:39 - Aug 15 by caught-in-limbo

Agree. I think these things do add up. It's how shaping a society's awareness and opinions works: bit by bit. I expect and hope that it's the first part of a wider campaign. I think people think this is just a way of sending a message to a potential knife user. That's missing the point. It's probably also about shaping the public's attitude to knife crime to a point where it's just unacceptable, but sickeningly cowardly.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 9:56]

It has also raised the awareness to parents - who otherwise wouldn’t have had a clue about the chicken shop gangs.

It’s very easy to sit and criticise isn’t it.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:42 - Aug 15 with 1016 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:35 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

It says more than that:

LGfL’s online safety and safeguarding manager, Mark Bentley, said: “In terms of schools or parents who might think this wouldn’t happen in this leafy area, chicken shops are legion, and kids like to hit the chicken shop on the way home from school.

“It’s so easy for them to think, ‘oh, I can save a couple of quid’, and it’s easy to get sucked in.”

This indicates it is not just kids who have been excluded

It also says this:

Young offenders spoken to for the Youth Select Committee’s report said children who have been excluded from school were particularly vulnerable to exploitation.

"Some shared that their peers had been targeted by gangs outside of Pupil Referral Units (PRUs), as well as outside sports centres," evidence from the Youth Justice Board of England and Wales said.

"They also said that sometimes children are recruited through an offer of food (referred to as chicken shop gangs) and they felt that schools could to do more to keep children in school as it could be a protective factor from gang involvement."

In this context the chicken shop stuff is presented as happening "sometimes" whilst kids are often targeted elsewhere. The chicken shop stuff makes for a better headline I guess.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:43 - Aug 15 with 1011 viewsStokieBlue

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 by Mugwump

That's about drugs not knives. It's also a rather large leap to expect anyone who is accepting food for illegal activities to decide to read and take on board advice from an unseen entity on the inside of a chicken box.

I just think it's the wrong way to be going about a serious issue. It almost trivialises it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:45 - Aug 15 with 1004 viewscaught-in-limbo

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

That's not evidence, that's a quote from someone basically saying that doing something is better than doing nothing but more needs to be done. There's no evidence to support this kind of approach working and this approach doesn't remotely get to the heart of how young people are groomed into joining criminal gangs.

You say there is no evidence this isn't part of a wider programme, well there's no evidence that it is either. They aren't reopening youth services across the country. They are increasing stop and search, police on the streets, and prison spaces - none of which get to the root causes of the problem by the way.

"none of which get to the root causes of the problem by the way."

Let's play your game then...

1) What are the root causes of the problem? (Your answers are invalid without evidence).
2) What are good ways to address these root causes? (Again, please provide evidence - ideally in the form of a peer reviewed research paper).

#toxic

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:47 - Aug 15 with 991 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:42 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

It also says this:

Young offenders spoken to for the Youth Select Committee’s report said children who have been excluded from school were particularly vulnerable to exploitation.

"Some shared that their peers had been targeted by gangs outside of Pupil Referral Units (PRUs), as well as outside sports centres," evidence from the Youth Justice Board of England and Wales said.

"They also said that sometimes children are recruited through an offer of food (referred to as chicken shop gangs) and they felt that schools could to do more to keep children in school as it could be a protective factor from gang involvement."

In this context the chicken shop stuff is presented as happening "sometimes" whilst kids are often targeted elsewhere. The chicken shop stuff makes for a better headline I guess.

Where did I say it didn't?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:49 - Aug 15 with 990 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:43 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

That's about drugs not knives. It's also a rather large leap to expect anyone who is accepting food for illegal activities to decide to read and take on board advice from an unseen entity on the inside of a chicken box.

I just think it's the wrong way to be going about a serious issue. It almost trivialises it.

SB

I'm sure the people who have done this no more than you and I about behavioural change and are no doubt experts in the field. They clearly see there is some merit in the scheme and there is more than one way to crack an egg.

These messages may be getting through to kids before they are accepting gifts for illegal activities, or into knife crime and it may help them see the signs and see there are other options out there.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:49 - Aug 15 with 990 viewsMugwump

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:43 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Drugs and knives are peas in a pod.

I mentioned last night that I thought it was a bit ridiculous but in a back handed way it has alerted the problem with chicken shop gangs - something I suspect few on here were aware of this time yesterday.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:50 - Aug 15 with 984 viewscaught-in-limbo

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:34 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

In his view and yours, in my view - especially when we have limited resources - it's better to do your research and do something meaningful rather than wasting money on a tokenkstic gesture. It's reactionary and nothing more.

Please give evidence that this campaign is not the result of some research. I would be shocked if it was just an off the top of the head idea by a KFC employee who'd seen a bloke with a knife in the place where he was working.

#toxic

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:52 - Aug 15 with 980 viewscaught-in-limbo

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:42 - Aug 15 by Mugwump

It has also raised the awareness to parents - who otherwise wouldn’t have had a clue about the chicken shop gangs.

It’s very easy to sit and criticise isn’t it.

My guess is that it's also raised awareness to users of football forums too.

#toxic

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:53 - Aug 15 with 977 viewsMugwump

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:50 - Aug 15 by caught-in-limbo

Please give evidence that this campaign is not the result of some research. I would be shocked if it was just an off the top of the head idea by a KFC employee who'd seen a bloke with a knife in the place where he was working.

I think the fact that KFC have not been included in the box rollout suggests that research has indeed been done as I suspect KFC is low down on the gangs list what with it being more a family diner.

The scheme has succeeded in creating awareness, it has already done some good.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:26 - Aug 15 with 924 viewsDecageBruce

Many will mock this approach but it is a small piece of a larger approach. The whole point of 'advertising' is a multi-format approach which changes the way that we think. Whether that this in what we buy, what our political views are etc etc.

Look at some of the experiments/tricks pulled by mentalists around the world. They are not mind readers but use suggestions, 'hidden messages' and lots of pre empted techniques to change/focus the thought process of those that they are 'reading'.

There are lot's of issues out in the world for our young people to deal with and it is not just children from poverty/broken homes/excluded that get pulled into this behaviour. A multi-focus approach is required and anyone can help.

I would ask those that are sniping at this what they can do to help. Not what ideas they have or how they think the government/spending/approaches they read are wrong but what can you do personally?
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:37 - Aug 15 with 918 viewseddiespearitt03

CCTV on every inner-city, side street lamp post and apartment block would help matters.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:39 - Aug 15 with 914 viewsfooters

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:37 - Aug 15 by eddiespearitt03

CCTV on every inner-city, side street lamp post and apartment block would help matters.

London already has the second most CCTV cameras per capita than any other city in the world.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:40 - Aug 15 with 907 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:39 - Aug 15 by footers

London already has the second most CCTV cameras per capita than any other city in the world.

2nd place is the first loser

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:44 - Aug 15 with 892 viewstabletopjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:37 - Aug 15 by eddiespearitt03

And people say the communists lost.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 11:45 - Aug 15 with 891 viewsMugwump

Unfortunately it probably wouldn’t. If the police had the resources they could go to many london overground stations and simply arrest the dealers that queue up for trade.

Resources is only one problem though, they are up to their eyes dealing with people reporting social media messages as crimes. You also have to wonder what other reasons they don’t act on dealers who are quite open, is it a better the devil you know, or “What’s the point”?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024