Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone on here got experience 09:23 - Aug 29 with 6412 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

With any mental health services in Ipswich?

As a person I never feel stressed and consider myself to be very positive and happy most of the time, I don't worry about thing normally because you can't change the past but you can still affect the future, plus the things that people worry about don't often happen so the worry is for no reason.

However, for good reason I'm currently the most stressed that I've ever been and I can't really talk to family about it - partly because I don't have the type of relationship with them where I talk about things but secondly I don't feel like I'd talk to them about this even if I did.

So I need some help from a professional service, somebody to talk to. Does anyone have any experience of using a mental heath service in Ipswich that they would recommend? I've looked at a few online but of course opinions from those who've experienced a service are more valuable than what the website says about the companies.
Has anyone on here got experience on 15:00 - Aug 29 with 2152 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well done for recognising the need for some help.

If you are employed your employer or union (if you are in one) may well have anonymous support. If you have a workplace rep they might be worth speaking to or you can search through your union's website.

I can understand why you might want to be careful not to let your employer know about it but the service should be anonymous if it exists.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Has anyone on here got experience on 16:41 - Aug 29 with 2132 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Has anyone on here got experience on 14:56 - Aug 29 by mo_itfc

I'm sorry to hear this and I hope you're ok.
I've got a few friends who work in the mental health sector, they recommend MIND.

Also, there are some really good phone apps such as headspace, which can help give you skills to handle stress. Things like that could be an option for you whilst you wait for a professional service.

I have personally used BetterHelp, somewhat expensive, i found it worth it in the long run.

Thank you, I'm doing okay.
I'm not sure that it's a case of finding ways to deal with stress, as mentioned I don't usually feel it, however one major issue has come up in life within the last week or two which could have hugely negative consequences and that's causing me severe stress issues. I'm not going to go into too much detail on here of course.

Funnily enough I've been looking at BetterHelp just this afternoon and completed a questionnaire but haven't gone any further than that due to other commitments but will continue looking into those.
Has anyone on here got experience on 16:43 - Aug 29 with 2132 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Has anyone on here got experience on 15:00 - Aug 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Well done for recognising the need for some help.

If you are employed your employer or union (if you are in one) may well have anonymous support. If you have a workplace rep they might be worth speaking to or you can search through your union's website.

I can understand why you might want to be careful not to let your employer know about it but the service should be anonymous if it exists.

Sadly I work for a tiny PLC, so tiny that there are only 4 people at the company (including the director) so there's no such union, support service or workplace rep that I could speak to
Has anyone on here got experience on 16:51 - Aug 29 with 2123 viewsBiGDonnie

You got any pals you can reach out too? Maybe someone on here you occasionally PM? Might be worth a shout before looking for professional help.

I'd offer my help, but unless you wanna discuss tits, drugs or gambling, I doubt I'd be much help!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has anyone on here got experience on 17:13 - Aug 29 with 2111 viewsNthQldITFC

Has anyone on here got experience on 14:51 - Aug 29 by No_Moore_Kieffer

I am trying to make an effort to read more so perhaps that is one that I can add to my list, thanks! Hope you're doing okay now

Not too bad thanks, and the very best of everything to you.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Has anyone on here got experience on 17:32 - Aug 29 with 2101 viewsSwailsey

I do and happy to help if you wanted to PM. No problem if not.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Has anyone on here got experience on 00:32 - Aug 30 with 2058 viewseddiespearitt03

There are a variety of problems and pressures we all have to deal with. There are some issues you can make simple changes and some that are more challenging. Some people can find the strength to ride the storm and remain positive about the future. In many cases, remaining optimistic is a very big hurdle when you are constantly feeling the full effects of confusion and sadness.
Taking small steps is the beginning of a new era.
If you have the funds then talking with a counsellor can begin to help smooth out some of the thought processes and subsequent anguish. The counselling route is a slow routine that gradually helps unload. Do not expect an immediate cure, it takes time. Trusting a counsellor will be important in order to build progress to move forward.

If finances are limited, then perhaps a referral from your GP may help getting some counselling.
As far as taking anti-depressants. Medication does not work for everyone. This can also be a slow process as you build up the dosage intake. Obviously, it is more beneficial to refrain from frequent large amounts of alcohol and recreational drugs.

Good Luck.
Has anyone on here got experience on 00:47 - Aug 30 with 2054 viewsjeera

Has anyone on here got experience on 10:10 - Aug 29 by Guthrum

Not local to Ipswich, but on the subject of medication: I was always strongly resistant to taking anything, until, some years ago, I got into a position of great stress which was affecting me badly (waking up with panic attacks, only getting a couple of hours sleep kind of thing). Went to the doctor, they prescribed Sertraline (amongst other approaches to the situation).

Despite my reluctance, I took the stuff and have to say it did the job, reducing panic levels to the point I could sleep, which enabled me to look rationally at the issues which were causing the problems and start working to tackle them.

Only very minor side effects (slight drowsiness, dealt with by taking them in the evening rather than morning) and came off the tablets after a bit under a year.

Just my personal experience, but thought it might be useful.

I'd say Sertraline is a useful tool too. Those and/or Propranolol.

I don't get along with meds of any sort as they always make me feel ill, but I once had Sertraline and it served its purpose well. It's considered a front line drug isn't it, and not one of those types that knock you sideways, but more as you describe and just helps to regulate a few things. I have used Propranolol for palpitations and that's another that seems to have no side effects. Again, its effects are subtle and for me an 'as and when' required thing.

To the OP, have you considered private counselling if waiting lists are long? (sorry if mentioned already). Possibly not affordable for everyone, which is a shame.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone on here got experience on 09:08 - Aug 30 with 2013 viewsSaleAway

Has anyone on here got experience on 16:41 - Aug 29 by No_Moore_Kieffer

Thank you, I'm doing okay.
I'm not sure that it's a case of finding ways to deal with stress, as mentioned I don't usually feel it, however one major issue has come up in life within the last week or two which could have hugely negative consequences and that's causing me severe stress issues. I'm not going to go into too much detail on here of course.

Funnily enough I've been looking at BetterHelp just this afternoon and completed a questionnaire but haven't gone any further than that due to other commitments but will continue looking into those.

First off, really sorry to hear that you are struggling. But glad that you are on hear looking for help rather than suffering in silence.

There's been a lot of stuff on here, particularly about getting in touch with mental health services, but if you'll forgive me, it sounds to me not like you are depressed, but just stressed.

There are some basic things that you can do to alleviate stress that might help. I think the biggest of them are talking about them, and making a plan.

YOu mentioned that you don't have a family that you would talk to about this. Is that because you can't, or that no-one has in the past. I think you'd be constantly amazed at how helpful families can be. I know a few people who have got into trouble with not wanting to open up to family, and when they finally do, they can't believe that they didn't earlier. Your family and friends are often the best place to start, because they know you best. Obviously, I don't know your personal situation, but I would encourage you to start this on a personal level, rather than going straight into a "random counsellor" stage. If not your family, how about a close friend? Regardless of whether you have a professional to talk to - your friends and family will be available to you at times when a professional isn't so they are a vital part of the solution. Opening up to friends is hard, as we tend to cultivate this " tough guy" image, but its vitally important that you let people help you. Your wish to go straight to a professional worries me a bit, as I think you need to address why you don't want to discuss this with people that are already in your life, becaue otherwise you'll risk feeling very isolated.

In terms of dealing with stress - we'vementioned talking, the next thing is to make a plan. YOu've identified a situation that is causing you stress, so you need to try and make a plan that gives you a bit more control. Break it down into small things that you can do to improve the situation. Even if its just writing down all the ways you can think of that this will affect you. Then think about how you can alleviate each problem.

Keep exercising. If it all gets on top of you - go for a run. It'll help bleed the stress out of your body which will mean you deal with it all better, should help you sleep as well.

Try and stay off alcohol and caffeine as much as possible. They don't help in the long term.

One final thing - I remember you posting about wanting a career change a few months back, and now that you are leaving your job. Have you got a plan for what is happening next. Did you find a new career path, a job in the same area, or are you taking time out? If there is uncertainty there, then that will certainly be contributing to your stress, so make sure you've properly thought about all the thigns that are worrying you, not just the headline issue.

Most of all, keep talking, and good luck.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Has anyone on here got experience on 09:24 - Aug 30 with 1995 viewsBiGDonnie

Has anyone on here got experience on 09:08 - Aug 30 by SaleAway

First off, really sorry to hear that you are struggling. But glad that you are on hear looking for help rather than suffering in silence.

There's been a lot of stuff on here, particularly about getting in touch with mental health services, but if you'll forgive me, it sounds to me not like you are depressed, but just stressed.

There are some basic things that you can do to alleviate stress that might help. I think the biggest of them are talking about them, and making a plan.

YOu mentioned that you don't have a family that you would talk to about this. Is that because you can't, or that no-one has in the past. I think you'd be constantly amazed at how helpful families can be. I know a few people who have got into trouble with not wanting to open up to family, and when they finally do, they can't believe that they didn't earlier. Your family and friends are often the best place to start, because they know you best. Obviously, I don't know your personal situation, but I would encourage you to start this on a personal level, rather than going straight into a "random counsellor" stage. If not your family, how about a close friend? Regardless of whether you have a professional to talk to - your friends and family will be available to you at times when a professional isn't so they are a vital part of the solution. Opening up to friends is hard, as we tend to cultivate this " tough guy" image, but its vitally important that you let people help you. Your wish to go straight to a professional worries me a bit, as I think you need to address why you don't want to discuss this with people that are already in your life, becaue otherwise you'll risk feeling very isolated.

In terms of dealing with stress - we'vementioned talking, the next thing is to make a plan. YOu've identified a situation that is causing you stress, so you need to try and make a plan that gives you a bit more control. Break it down into small things that you can do to improve the situation. Even if its just writing down all the ways you can think of that this will affect you. Then think about how you can alleviate each problem.

Keep exercising. If it all gets on top of you - go for a run. It'll help bleed the stress out of your body which will mean you deal with it all better, should help you sleep as well.

Try and stay off alcohol and caffeine as much as possible. They don't help in the long term.

One final thing - I remember you posting about wanting a career change a few months back, and now that you are leaving your job. Have you got a plan for what is happening next. Did you find a new career path, a job in the same area, or are you taking time out? If there is uncertainty there, then that will certainly be contributing to your stress, so make sure you've properly thought about all the thigns that are worrying you, not just the headline issue.

Brilliant post.

Apart from the no caffeine!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has anyone on here got experience on 09:27 - Aug 30 with 1992 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone on here got experience on 00:47 - Aug 30 by jeera

I'd say Sertraline is a useful tool too. Those and/or Propranolol.

I don't get along with meds of any sort as they always make me feel ill, but I once had Sertraline and it served its purpose well. It's considered a front line drug isn't it, and not one of those types that knock you sideways, but more as you describe and just helps to regulate a few things. I have used Propranolol for palpitations and that's another that seems to have no side effects. Again, its effects are subtle and for me an 'as and when' required thing.

To the OP, have you considered private counselling if waiting lists are long? (sorry if mentioned already). Possibly not affordable for everyone, which is a shame.

Re the private route and speaking as a long time ocd-er, the quality can be very variable. I've seen harley Street guys for 150 an hour or local ones for 30 - the price often bares no relation to the service. The best people I've seen have been through the NHS, but then against that, there is normally a limit on the number of sessions you can get in one course of treatment (often 10 sessions).

Op, all I could advise is don't get cross or depressed about being cross or depressed. Seems obvious but an easy trap to fall into.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2019 9:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Has anyone on here got experience on 10:01 - Aug 30 with 1977 viewsSaleAway

Has anyone on here got experience on 09:24 - Aug 30 by BiGDonnie

Brilliant post.

Apart from the no caffeine!

I know!

But I know from the experience of my wife, when you're stressed and anxious, cutting back on stimulants is definitely a good thing.

In general, we could all do with less caffeine, particularly now, when there is actually quite a lot of decent de-caff coffee and tea available.

If you wean yourself off it - you realise that you don't need it.

Has anyone on here got experience on 10:38 - Aug 30 with 1956 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Has anyone on here got experience on 00:32 - Aug 30 by eddiespearitt03

There are a variety of problems and pressures we all have to deal with. There are some issues you can make simple changes and some that are more challenging. Some people can find the strength to ride the storm and remain positive about the future. In many cases, remaining optimistic is a very big hurdle when you are constantly feeling the full effects of confusion and sadness.
Taking small steps is the beginning of a new era.
If you have the funds then talking with a counsellor can begin to help smooth out some of the thought processes and subsequent anguish. The counselling route is a slow routine that gradually helps unload. Do not expect an immediate cure, it takes time. Trusting a counsellor will be important in order to build progress to move forward.

If finances are limited, then perhaps a referral from your GP may help getting some counselling.
As far as taking anti-depressants. Medication does not work for everyone. This can also be a slow process as you build up the dosage intake. Obviously, it is more beneficial to refrain from frequent large amounts of alcohol and recreational drugs.

Good Luck.

I'm certainly trying to remain positive and as another poster mentioned after your post, it's not a case of being depressed but instead stressed about something that is going on personally.

Anti-depressants aren't a route I want to take for multiple reasons but I don't drink caffeine or alcohol so don't need to worry about being off it!

I am certainly trying to take small steps to resolve a big problem, but I agree funds can be a big hurdle in times like this.
Has anyone on here got experience on 10:40 - Aug 30 with 1953 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The fact you're proactively addressing the issue is great. Well done you.

Keep us posted and all the best.
Has anyone on here got experience on 10:48 - Aug 30 with 1947 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Has anyone on here got experience on 09:08 - Aug 30 by SaleAway

I've sat in silence before but that makes everything worse - I'd rather seek the help and advice.

You're correct in your point that I'm not depressed, I'm just stressed off my head and have no idea what to do in the situation that I find myself in. I am trying to make a plan and talk to people, but it's not just me that the situation effects, in fact it affects my partner more than myself and it's her that I'm worrying about more than the situation.

I've never had a close relationship with my family. I don't get on amazingly with my dad a lot of the time and he makes conversations difficult because of the way he is, and whilst I could probably talk to my mum about it, I find it easier talking to friends instead. I've spoken to a friend about the situation, I've got a couple more I'm in the processing of arranging to meet with and talk things through with but ultimately that won't help my partner. We're in a horrible situation that I'm sure people on here will have been through but various factors make it about the worst thing that she or I could go through currently and what affect it may have on her is my biggest worry.

I must admit, I've fallen right off my diet and work out plan the last few weeks but with my working hours and other commitments I've not had a great deal of time, but I do want to get back to my healthy, active lifestyle.

I don't sleep well a lot of the time but hopefully that will change soon, and I don't drink caffeine or alcohol, nor have I ever smoked or taken recreational drugs so I'm not going to let those sorts of things escalate the situation.

As for my job situation, I'll be honest, I took a bit of a gamble by handing in my notice a few weeks ago without having anything lined up. I just wanted to get out so badly that life is too short to be unhappy constantly when it's something that I can change, so I handed it in with a plan of doing some courses and volunteering whilst either working with my dad or finding a temporary job to provide an income until I found something properly. Thankfully one of the roles I applied for offered me an interview and subsequently the job so I do now have something to go into after giving myself a week or two off to have a break from things.
Has anyone on here got experience on 10:59 - Aug 30 with 1939 viewsSikamikanico

Has anyone on here got experience on 10:01 - Aug 30 by SaleAway

I know!

But I know from the experience of my wife, when you're stressed and anxious, cutting back on stimulants is definitely a good thing.

In general, we could all do with less caffeine, particularly now, when there is actually quite a lot of decent de-caff coffee and tea available.

If you wean yourself off it - you realise that you don't need it.

Definitely wean yourself off....

The caffeine withdrawal headaches are not fun
Has anyone on here got experience on 11:11 - Aug 30 with 1933 viewsSaleAway

Has anyone on here got experience on 10:48 - Aug 30 by No_Moore_Kieffer

I've sat in silence before but that makes everything worse - I'd rather seek the help and advice.

You're correct in your point that I'm not depressed, I'm just stressed off my head and have no idea what to do in the situation that I find myself in. I am trying to make a plan and talk to people, but it's not just me that the situation effects, in fact it affects my partner more than myself and it's her that I'm worrying about more than the situation.

I've never had a close relationship with my family. I don't get on amazingly with my dad a lot of the time and he makes conversations difficult because of the way he is, and whilst I could probably talk to my mum about it, I find it easier talking to friends instead. I've spoken to a friend about the situation, I've got a couple more I'm in the processing of arranging to meet with and talk things through with but ultimately that won't help my partner. We're in a horrible situation that I'm sure people on here will have been through but various factors make it about the worst thing that she or I could go through currently and what affect it may have on her is my biggest worry.

I must admit, I've fallen right off my diet and work out plan the last few weeks but with my working hours and other commitments I've not had a great deal of time, but I do want to get back to my healthy, active lifestyle.

I don't sleep well a lot of the time but hopefully that will change soon, and I don't drink caffeine or alcohol, nor have I ever smoked or taken recreational drugs so I'm not going to let those sorts of things escalate the situation.

As for my job situation, I'll be honest, I took a bit of a gamble by handing in my notice a few weeks ago without having anything lined up. I just wanted to get out so badly that life is too short to be unhappy constantly when it's something that I can change, so I handed it in with a plan of doing some courses and volunteering whilst either working with my dad or finding a temporary job to provide an income until I found something properly. Thankfully one of the roles I applied for offered me an interview and subsequently the job so I do now have something to go into after giving myself a week or two off to have a break from things.

I can definitely relate to this. I've had a couple of times in my life where my wife has been going through immensely stressful, distressing situations. Where I have been worried about the situation, and worried about her.

So - from my experience, the MOST important thing, is to make sure you keep talking to your partner - not just about the problem that you are facing together, but about how you are both feeling. The worst thing is that you both shut down, trying to protect each other. Remember, you are a team - you face problems together, and you solve them together. You're lucky, in that you have a relationship with someone that you clearly care about deeply, and I assume they reciprocate. In which case, you automatically have someone you can trust to talk to. Don't waste that. Use your friends as well, but the most important person to talk to is your partner. Make sure they are using their friends/family as well - as you will know sometimes, you need to get out of the bubble of your relationship - for a bit - but make sure you always come back to each other.

Its obvious you don't want to put the details of your problems on here, and I fully respect that - but it feels to me that you don't need a mental health service, more someone that can help you work through the technical side of the issues you and your partner are facing. You might find the Citizens Advice Bureau can help...

https://www.citizensadviceipswich.org.uk/

They can provide practical advice on a whole range of issues.

If you want some more specific advice, then you'll probably need to share more about your problem, feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it in public.

YOur time might be limited, so don't feel obliged to stick to your diet or normal exercise regime, but like I said, when it all gets too much, go for a run, or get to the gym, if only for a 30 minute thrash. It really really helps. Trust me.

Good luck
[Post edited 30 Aug 2019 11:14]

Has anyone on here got experience on 13:59 - Aug 30 with 1902 viewsthatdamgood89

Just an idea that's hit me. Do you work and if so are you in a union? Most unions now offer 6 free counselling sessions as part of your membership. May be worth looking into as a friend of mine did this through her union and was seen within 2 weeks.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024