Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal 22:14 - Sep 8 with 1886 viewsElderGrizzly

He really is a mini-Trump isn’t he?

[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 22:15]
Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 22:55 - Sep 8 with 1791 viewsHerbivore

There's lots of talk of his also simply ignoring the law and seeing what happens. We're living in crazy times. The fact that many people will still vote for him is pretty staggering.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:24 - Sep 8 with 1761 viewsGuthrum

The old Emergency Acts were repealed and replaced by the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. This defines clearly under what circumstances an emergency can be declared: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/36/section/1

Nothing in there would allow the Government to declare an emergency over being thwarted by Parliament. Indeed, a No deal Brexit is itself more likely to end up fulfilling those conditions.

Even the old Acts did not allow for a proclamation of emergency without very similar conditions.

Edit: Also see this bit http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/36/section/27
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 23:26]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:28 - Sep 8 with 1745 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:24 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

The old Emergency Acts were repealed and replaced by the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. This defines clearly under what circumstances an emergency can be declared: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/36/section/1

Nothing in there would allow the Government to declare an emergency over being thwarted by Parliament. Indeed, a No deal Brexit is itself more likely to end up fulfilling those conditions.

Even the old Acts did not allow for a proclamation of emergency without very similar conditions.

What do you do for a living? Or are u just interested in politics?

When I see a political thread, my immediate thought is;

"Has guthrum responded yet, he'll know what's going on!"

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:31 - Sep 8 with 1736 viewsGuthrum

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:28 - Sep 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

What do you do for a living? Or are u just interested in politics?

When I see a political thread, my immediate thought is;

"Has guthrum responded yet, he'll know what's going on!"

I'm a humble painter and decorator.

I just enjoy reading a lot, particularly history and current affairs. Also have a reasonable memory, not so much for all the fine detail, but that it exists and where to find it.

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:34 - Sep 8 with 1729 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:31 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

I just enjoy reading a lot, particularly history and current affairs. Also have a reasonable memory, not so much for all the fine detail, but that it exists and where to find it.

Fair do's!

I guess you probably get lots of thinking time, and can listen to current affairs on the radio quite a bit ;-)

I enjoy your inisghts.

....although, I don't have enough political knowledge to verify that you know what you're talking about! ...but you seem like you do.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:40 - Sep 8 with 1710 viewsGuthrum

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:34 - Sep 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

Fair do's!

I guess you probably get lots of thinking time, and can listen to current affairs on the radio quite a bit ;-)

I enjoy your inisghts.

....although, I don't have enough political knowledge to verify that you know what you're talking about! ...but you seem like you do.

I also know some interesting and learned people with whom I can discuss stuff. Don't make any great claims to accuracy, but if I know info is dubious, I don't post it.

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 06:37 - Sep 9 with 1523 viewsElderGrizzly

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:24 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

Yep, appreciate that. Just interested to see that certain members of parliament were even thinking along those lines.

As you say, it can’t be used for what they want, but also who is to say this shower won’t try?
Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 07:06 - Sep 9 with 1479 viewsWeWereZombies

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 06:37 - Sep 9 by ElderGrizzly

Yep, appreciate that. Just interested to see that certain members of parliament were even thinking along those lines.

As you say, it can’t be used for what they want, but also who is to say this shower won’t try?

They may not be quite the shower you think they are and know full well that they cannot enact but that they can still progress an action far enough to create a significant distraction to some other high jinks they have on the go.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 07:54 - Sep 9 with 1404 viewsChurchman

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 23:31 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

Your grip is a much better than quite a few of the people in charge right now. I have watched some of the Brexiteers in particular in Select Committee and know, thanks to the work I was doing, that many had not bothered to read the Brief or do their research.

If he can get away with it I think BJ and his puppet masters will happily try and trample over the law if they can. It seems they will try and get their way at any cost. Testing times.
Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 08:04 - Sep 9 with 1382 viewsBangor31

on the face of it i agree with you, but do you honestly think that cummings et al would not be able to conjure something that links the lack of finalising Brexit to any of the 1(a) subsections.

you cannot put on your this is being read by a rational person hat on here i don't think
Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 08:17 - Sep 9 with 1367 viewsOldsmoker

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 22:55 - Sep 8 by Herbivore

There's lots of talk of his also simply ignoring the law and seeing what happens. We're living in crazy times. The fact that many people will still vote for him is pretty staggering.

I've read that Raaaaab is saying this new No-deal Brexit law of Hilary Benns' isn't very strong and he thinks there's a way round it.
If all 27 EU states don't agree to an extension - Macron seems to be saying Non - then Benns' bill doesn't kick in.
So the tactic could be to wind up the French.
Do we have anyone in government who's good at insulting furriners?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 08:34 - Sep 9 with 1320 viewsGuthrum

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 08:04 - Sep 9 by Bangor31

on the face of it i agree with you, but do you honestly think that cummings et al would not be able to conjure something that links the lack of finalising Brexit to any of the 1(a) subsections.

you cannot put on your this is being read by a rational person hat on here i don't think

The powers specifically relate to the ability to requisition goods, vehicles, land, services in order to restore interrupted supplies or transport networks. It doesn't allow random other laws to be ignored. Nor does it remove parliamentary scrutiny. Indeed, Parliament has the ability to declare the emergency over with a simple vote (which the present Government cannot win).

They can try all they like to bend unsuitable laws to fit their purpose, but that will be subject to blocking injunctions and legal challenge.

Britain has a long-standing fear of dictatorship (going back to the 17th century, reinforced by events in Europe since), the system is set up to make it extremely difficult to go down that route.

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 09:07 - Sep 9 with 1283 viewsGuthrum

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 07:06 - Sep 9 by WeWereZombies

They may not be quite the shower you think they are and know full well that they cannot enact but that they can still progress an action far enough to create a significant distraction to some other high jinks they have on the go.

Thing is, they're running out of viable high jinks to which they can resort.

The very distinguished former judge and barrister (not to mention historian) Lord Sumption has said this morning that the wheeze of sending a covering letter asking them to refuse an extension along with the mandated letter asking for one would not be in compliance with the new law.

Edit: Other legal voices are agreeing with Sumption, including Lord Falconer.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 9:10]

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 09:22 - Sep 9 with 1266 viewsGuthrum

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 07:06 - Sep 9 by WeWereZombies

You know what they are going to do: Send the letter - as per the Act - but second class, with not enough stamps and try to make sure it doesn't arrive.

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 09:38 - Sep 9 with 1249 viewsfactual_blue

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 08:17 - Sep 9 by Oldsmoker

I've read that Raaaaab is saying this new No-deal Brexit law of Hilary Benns' isn't very strong and he thinks there's a way round it.
If all 27 EU states don't agree to an extension - Macron seems to be saying Non - then Benns' bill doesn't kick in.
So the tactic could be to wind up the French.
Do we have anyone in government who's good at insulting furriners?

Is that the same raaab who didn't realise Dover was a port?

I wouldn't set too much store by his powers of insight or analysis.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 12:50 - Sep 9 with 1191 viewsWeWereZombies

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 09:22 - Sep 9 by Guthrum

You know what they are going to do: Send the letter - as per the Act - but second class, with not enough stamps and try to make sure it doesn't arrive.

Also, if you hand write the address on the front of the envelope rather than have it typed up then it takes longer to get through the sorting office (even with a first class stamp).

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Government could enact ‘emergency powers’ to push through No Deal on 17:00 - Sep 9 with 1134 viewsbrazil1982

No, he isn't. It some chat on Twitter on what could happen. Has BJ said or done anything to suggest this?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024