Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vitamins & Supplements 09:54 - Sep 27 with 5657 viewsclive_baker

Does anyone here take any regularly? If so, what and why?

If not, why not?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:42 - Sep 27 with 1306 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:27 - Sep 27 by gainsboroughblue

I take Turmeric capsules as it is a natural inflammatory. I've had a history of back and shoulder pain.

I like to think it helps but then again it may be a placebo effect.

You can buy real Turmeric in some supermarkets now, & many Indian etc local shops of course - good in soups & stews, tho it can stain crockery if you're not careful. Ginger's also supposed to be a good anti-inflamm.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:49 - Sep 27 with 1293 viewsBiGDonnie

I take a multivitamin every morning and have done for years. Can't say I notice the difference, although I have felt sluggish at times when I've not taken them for a period of time.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:51 - Sep 27 with 1291 viewsPinewoodblue

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:45 - Sep 27 by GavTWTD

My doc said that unless you work outside for a living, that everyone should take a vitamin D supplement as we don't get enough as a country. Some of the Vit D supplements are crazy high in their doses so best look at the labels. You shouldn't take more than 100 microgrammes a day otherwise it causes a build up of calcium in your body and damage your bones, kidney and heart. I take 25microgrammes a day. Do I feel better for it? No. But a year's supply was around a tenner and feel I'm doing the right thing.

Dr has me on vitamin D supplement for same reason.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Vitamins & Supplements on 13:06 - Sep 27 with 1279 viewsJ2BLUE

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:15 - Sep 27 by Ryorry

1 x 500mg capsule daily when taking, but instructions say up to 6 daily! on an empty stomach.

I use Natures Best for most things as I've found they use the fewest & purest ingredients, are ethical in their approach, reasonably priced & excellent customer service - they have a help & advice line, & have in the past sent me small samples to test if I'm unsure about allergens.

Edit: Holland & Barrett good for calcium & marine magnesium (the latter supposedly also good against cramp), & I buy those there.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 12:43]

These work out at 18p a day for a 3g dose:

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/l-glutamine-amino-acid/10575971.html

35% off code on the site as well which would pay for postage. Not many ingredients.

No affiliation with the company

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vitamins & Supplements on 13:23 - Sep 27 with 1259 viewslongtimefan

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:51 - Sep 27 by Pinewoodblue

Dr has me on vitamin D supplement for same reason.

I believe its specifically Vitamin D3 that you need in this case.
Vitamins & Supplements on 15:52 - Sep 27 with 1217 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 13:06 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

These work out at 18p a day for a 3g dose:

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/l-glutamine-amino-acid/10575971.html

35% off code on the site as well which would pay for postage. Not many ingredients.

No affiliation with the company

Will have a look, cheers :)

Vitamins & Supplements on 01:43 - Sep 28 with 1177 viewsjeera

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:57 - Sep 27 by Deano69

Pretty much everyone I know that has had any form of blood test has been told the same.

I was also informed my iron count was a bit low the last time I had a blood test, I was advised to eat more red meat! If I am honest, I dont know anyone who eats more red meat than me, I could go full carnivore if asked... Maybe theres more money in shares of iron supplements now....???

Yes I was also told I was low in iron but couldn't find any amongst the array on supermarket shelves and eventually forgot about it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Vitamins & Supplements on 08:02 - Sep 28 with 1146 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

In my early 40s, I started suffering from arthritis in the knees, which was becoming increasingly painful and leading to constant restlessness and readjustment as I couldn't get comfortable. After seeing doctors, scans etc, they said there was nothing to do other than knee replacement surgery. But following a chat with a friend, I started taking 2 x !000mg cod liver oil capsules daily (Boots). Can't stomach taking it in liquid form. Its been brilliant, 15 years on from when I first got the symptoms and knee pain is virtually absent, no restlessness. That's the only supplement I take.

Poll: would you rather

Login to get fewer ads

Vitamins & Supplements on 09:42 - Sep 28 with 1135 viewsDebsyAngel

I take a Tesco multivitamin and to be honest can't tell if it does a lot for me, as been ill for nearly 7 months now (thyroid issues and possible Addisons disease).
Vitamins & Supplements on 09:58 - Sep 28 with 1129 viewsBLUEBEAT

I got a kidney infection after using a full range of vitamins for around 6 months.

I’ll never go through that again!

I don’t eat seafood so pop an Omega3 every other day.

Poll: W or W

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:10 - Sep 28 with 1118 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 09:42 - Sep 28 by DebsyAngel

I take a Tesco multivitamin and to be honest can't tell if it does a lot for me, as been ill for nearly 7 months now (thyroid issues and possible Addisons disease).

Sorry to hear that Debsy. Hope you get lots of improvement & that it turns out not to be Addisons - keep us posted won't you (PM fine if you prefer)) x

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:18 - Sep 28 with 1113 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:27 - Sep 27 by gainsboroughblue

I take Turmeric capsules as it is a natural inflammatory. I've had a history of back and shoulder pain.

I like to think it helps but then again it may be a placebo effect.

You should try cinnamon - just a spoon a day

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:38 - Sep 28 with 1105 viewsMark

I sometimes take Omega 3 supplements to get enough DHA as I rarely eat fish. Algae based ones are available for vegetarians and vegans.

Plus sometimes vitamin D in winter.
Vitamins & Supplements on 11:45 - Sep 28 with 1101 viewsstrikalite

Vitamins & Supplements on 08:02 - Sep 28 by LegendofthePhoenix

In my early 40s, I started suffering from arthritis in the knees, which was becoming increasingly painful and leading to constant restlessness and readjustment as I couldn't get comfortable. After seeing doctors, scans etc, they said there was nothing to do other than knee replacement surgery. But following a chat with a friend, I started taking 2 x !000mg cod liver oil capsules daily (Boots). Can't stomach taking it in liquid form. Its been brilliant, 15 years on from when I first got the symptoms and knee pain is virtually absent, no restlessness. That's the only supplement I take.

It's a real shame that we have many many thousands of people out there convinced that they need knee replacements or simply that their joint pain throughout their body is chronic and nothing can be done, convinced it's down to the ageing process or simple wear and tear..
Most of it comes down inflammation throughout the body, our omega 3 ratio to 6 is absolutely shot and it has to be said there are incredible supplements out there now that have been proven to help rebuild cartilage and connective tissue but people aren't given this information and instead are just prescribed painkillers...

I have helped people reverse pretty serious knee issues, people who were convinced that they wouldn't work, there was a lady in her 60's at work who was in absolute agony just climbing a flight of stairs who after just three weeks was pretty much pain free once more, it can be done, but incredibly for what ever reason many people won't listen and believe it's under the knife or nothing at all...GP's have a lot to do with this too, they rarely recommend supplements, or they simply dismiss them...
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 11:47]
Vitamins & Supplements on 12:46 - Sep 28 with 1088 viewsDebsyAngel

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:10 - Sep 28 by Ryorry

Sorry to hear that Debsy. Hope you get lots of improvement & that it turns out not to be Addisons - keep us posted won't you (PM fine if you prefer)) x

Thank you Rrory - that is so kind of you.

Feeling pretty angry at how little Doctors know about thyroid problems and just rely too much on blood tests (which are not very good, as they never test T3 over here due to costs). I had a throat scan Thursday after having virus and sore throat for months on end and was terrified I had cancer. Been a really tough year.

If you want to PM me to chat further, please do xx
Vitamins & Supplements on 14:15 - Sep 28 with 1072 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:46 - Sep 28 by DebsyAngel

Thank you Rrory - that is so kind of you.

Feeling pretty angry at how little Doctors know about thyroid problems and just rely too much on blood tests (which are not very good, as they never test T3 over here due to costs). I had a throat scan Thursday after having virus and sore throat for months on end and was terrified I had cancer. Been a really tough year.

If you want to PM me to chat further, please do xx

Hi Debsy - I know nothing about thyroid in humans tbh, but my dog has had chronic low thyroid since he was a junior (10 now). Showed no obvious symptoms, but at annual check up when he was about 3, vet asked "anything else?" & I commented that his coat was rather dull (but the breed has a long, coarse, roan coat anyway, so hard to tell). She took a blood test which revealed the problem. He's been on daily medication for it ever since (Thyroxin, which I think is used for humans too, £1 daily without NHS prescription!) and it's caused him no problems, he lives a normal life.

Vitamins & Supplements on 18:35 - Sep 28 with 1046 viewsDebsyAngel

Vitamins & Supplements on 14:15 - Sep 28 by Ryorry

Hi Debsy - I know nothing about thyroid in humans tbh, but my dog has had chronic low thyroid since he was a junior (10 now). Showed no obvious symptoms, but at annual check up when he was about 3, vet asked "anything else?" & I commented that his coat was rather dull (but the breed has a long, coarse, roan coat anyway, so hard to tell). She took a blood test which revealed the problem. He's been on daily medication for it ever since (Thyroxin, which I think is used for humans too, £1 daily without NHS prescription!) and it's caused him no problems, he lives a normal life.

I never knew that dogs could take that! It is the same pill I am on.

Glad your dog is ok and doing well on it. I hope one day mine will go back to normal as it's very hard not being in charge of your emotions because hormones are controlling your mind! x
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024