Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 18:37 - Oct 5 with 3611 viewsBlackboots

Have we been 4 points or more clear at the top of our league since?

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 19:12 - Oct 5 with 3555 viewsgainsboroughblue

We made a very strong start to 99-00 season. Possibly then but given it was at the start of that campaign, maybe it was too early to pull clear too much.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 19:29 - Oct 5 with 3529 viewsFootballpete

We were 9 points clear after we beat Preston early in 2005. Cheers for reminding me of that, proper buzz killer!

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 19:58 - Oct 5 with 3476 viewsDyland

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 19:29 - Oct 5 by Footballpete

We were 9 points clear after we beat Preston early in 2005. Cheers for reminding me of that, proper buzz killer!

Aye, a timely reminder we've been here before and fooked it up. The football season is a long old thing.

Can't argue with much so far though. Great result today and pretty deserved by the sound of things.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 22:10 - Oct 5 with 3342 viewsfactual_blue

Deckchair anybody?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 23:48 - Oct 5 with 3278 viewsChurchman

That sounds tighter than it actually was. We were actually going to get promotion some way out and at one stage after beating Newcastle were about 10 points clear. We then lost heavily at Sunderland, then at Bristol City. Following this, a certain 3 points in a night game against Grimsby turned into a frustrating 0-0. We then got over the line at Oxford of course. Happy days
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 23:50]
We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 00:05 - Oct 6 with 3261 viewspatrickswell

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 19:12 - Oct 5 by gainsboroughblue

We made a very strong start to 99-00 season. Possibly then but given it was at the start of that campaign, maybe it was too early to pull clear too much.

It’s interesting, but in 1999-2000, I have a recollection that we only won 4 matches from the start of September up to mid November.

I just checked - we beat Man City in September and Charlton, Walsall and Grimsby in October. We lost to Birmingham in September, Grimsby, QPR & Man City in October and Huddersfield in November. We drew with Portsmouth in September and Blackburn, Tranmere and Norwich in November.
We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 00:26 - Oct 6 with 3234 viewsOldsmoker

We'll still be 4 points clear at the top after the next round of games.
We don't even play in those games and neither does Wycombe.
A few things have gone our way. Playing Bolton when they were forced to play their kids. They're now much harder to roll over now. Our main rivals didn't have that chance.
I'm not getting excited until we've played all the teams once.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 01:12 - Oct 6 with 3192 viewsThe_Last_Baron

We were never 9 points clear, six was the most and then we lost consecutive home matches to Watford and QPR. We never got back into the top two.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 01:17 - Oct 6 with 3188 viewsThe_Last_Baron

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 00:05 - Oct 6 by patrickswell

It’s interesting, but in 1999-2000, I have a recollection that we only won 4 matches from the start of September up to mid November.

I just checked - we beat Man City in September and Charlton, Walsall and Grimsby in October. We lost to Birmingham in September, Grimsby, QPR & Man City in October and Huddersfield in November. We drew with Portsmouth in September and Blackburn, Tranmere and Norwich in November.

1999-2000 was an up and down season, we started like we were going to walk the league and then hit a sticky patch before getting in back around November.

I also remember us going for an age without scoring around March time before Reuser scored in the 90th minute versus Fulham. That seemed to get us going again.

We should have won the league that season, we were a better side than both Charlton and Manchester City - we easily beat Charlton home and away. In think the game which cost us the top 2 was away to QPR near the end of the season when we lost 3-1. KIwonya scored at least one, I remember him scoring right at the end of the game at the far end to us and it went through a hole in the net which led us to believe he had missed.

The play-offs were unbelievable that year. It was a good thing we finished 3rd as we wouldn't have the memories of three great games.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 05:05 - Oct 6 with 3140 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 01:17 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

1999-2000 was an up and down season, we started like we were going to walk the league and then hit a sticky patch before getting in back around November.

I also remember us going for an age without scoring around March time before Reuser scored in the 90th minute versus Fulham. That seemed to get us going again.

We should have won the league that season, we were a better side than both Charlton and Manchester City - we easily beat Charlton home and away. In think the game which cost us the top 2 was away to QPR near the end of the season when we lost 3-1. KIwonya scored at least one, I remember him scoring right at the end of the game at the far end to us and it went through a hole in the net which led us to believe he had missed.

The play-offs were unbelievable that year. It was a good thing we finished 3rd as we wouldn't have the memories of three great games.

Remember that Kiwomya goal well, Town fans in the top tier giving it a bit ‘wheyyyyy’ only for him to wheel off in celebration. Was all rather confusing for this then-teenage Town supporter 🙈

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 08:30 - Oct 6 with 3051 viewsFootballpete

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 01:12 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

We were never 9 points clear, six was the most and then we lost consecutive home matches to Watford and QPR. We never got back into the top two.

We were briefly, we beat Preston 1-0 away on a Friday evening which put us 9 points clear, though most probably only until the following day’s fixtures.

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 08:39 - Oct 6 with 3029 viewsBlackboots

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 23:48 - Oct 5 by Churchman

That sounds tighter than it actually was. We were actually going to get promotion some way out and at one stage after beating Newcastle were about 10 points clear. We then lost heavily at Sunderland, then at Bristol City. Following this, a certain 3 points in a night game against Grimsby turned into a frustrating 0-0. We then got over the line at Oxford of course. Happy days
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 23:50]

What a great season that was. The Newcastle game you mention was one of my favourites at PR out of the hundreds I’ve seen over the years. The Tuesday night goalless draw with Grimsby was one of the worst let downs. I remember the small band of Grimsby fans singing “we’ve come to spoil your party” all game. They enjoyed it even if we didn’t!

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 08:44 - Oct 6 with 3019 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 08:30 - Oct 6 by Footballpete

We were briefly, we beat Preston 1-0 away on a Friday evening which put us 9 points clear, though most probably only until the following day’s fixtures.

That game was 1-1, and the point put us 6 points clear temporarily - table from that date can be seen here:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/18-february-2005/

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 10:05 - Oct 6 with 2966 viewsFootballpete

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 08:44 - Oct 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That game was 1-1, and the point put us 6 points clear temporarily - table from that date can be seen here:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/18-february-2005/

I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 14:57 - Oct 6 with 2886 viewspatrickswell

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 10:05 - Oct 6 by Footballpete

I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.

David Nugent’s first ever goal against us in that game...
We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 19:00 - Oct 6 with 2814 viewsTheBoyBlue

Would be happy sneaking up in second on goal difference. But it would be nice to retain a decent lead to take the stress out of it!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 23:50 - Oct 6 with 2746 viewsChurchman

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 08:39 - Oct 6 by Blackboots

What a great season that was. The Newcastle game you mention was one of my favourites at PR out of the hundreds I’ve seen over the years. The Tuesday night goalless draw with Grimsby was one of the worst let downs. I remember the small band of Grimsby fans singing “we’ve come to spoil your party” all game. They enjoyed it even if we didn’t!

It was a great season, but I agree regarding going to the Grimsby game. We thought that’d be ‘the one’ after we’d gone down to Bristol City only to play so poorly and lose. Still, there were so many highlights. Beating Charlton then Blackburn over Christmas, beating Wolves late in a night game, Brighton’s Gibbs SR toothpaste kit and the trophy presented, watching us win at Watford with a view of half the ground and a walk through an allotment.

There was a right hammering of Portsmouth followed by a windy draw with Liverpool in the Cup, John Wark crashing a header against the bar. Finally, that trip to Anfield. When Gavin Johnson scored, it was one of the best moments I’ve ever had watching Ipswich. We went absolutely berserk. We also knew at the end of the game that if we could play like that, we’d be ok for the rest of the season. Happy memories.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 23:50]
We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 23:55 - Oct 6 with 2738 viewsMaySixth

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 23:50 - Oct 6 by Churchman

It was a great season, but I agree regarding going to the Grimsby game. We thought that’d be ‘the one’ after we’d gone down to Bristol City only to play so poorly and lose. Still, there were so many highlights. Beating Charlton then Blackburn over Christmas, beating Wolves late in a night game, Brighton’s Gibbs SR toothpaste kit and the trophy presented, watching us win at Watford with a view of half the ground and a walk through an allotment.

There was a right hammering of Portsmouth followed by a windy draw with Liverpool in the Cup, John Wark crashing a header against the bar. Finally, that trip to Anfield. When Gavin Johnson scored, it was one of the best moments I’ve ever had watching Ipswich. We went absolutely berserk. We also knew at the end of the game that if we could play like that, we’d be ok for the rest of the season. Happy memories.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 23:50]

That was a great night at Liverpool

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

We won the Second Division by 4 points in 1992 on 11:13 - Oct 7 with 2643 viewsbaxterbasics

Ugh. I believe it all went wrong that season when Dublin buried his studs in Shefki's thigh on new years day. We never saw the best of the Shef again after that. First time ever a team had been top at Christmas and didn't get promoted.

Sad sad memories.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024