Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners 10:04 - Dec 1 with 3293 viewsSteve_M

then this is a good start:

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2019/11/30/10-thing-you-should-know-about-the-lon

Too many big words in for Priti Patel obviously.

Corbyn can shut the fk up too, with his mono-dimensional view on foreign policy being to blame.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 10:38 - Dec 1 with 2773 viewsDarth_Koont

Very good.

I agree with the author that the crux seems to be the lack of rehabilitation Khan was given - funding rehabilitation just isn't as "sexy" as promising to be tough on crime and then just not supplying the resources to actually deal with the results of that.

Oh and coming as no surprise after the Brexit nonsense, it's another reminder that our politicians don't really "do detail". Either through incompetence, spin or a combination of both, they don't seem to have much grasp on the real stuff and the consequences of their political manoeuvres.

This lack of oversight and proper scrutiny appears to be structural but having a media that will hold politicians to account would be a start.

Pronouns: He/Him

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 11:06 - Dec 1 with 2749 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, the SB has been talking out against Boris’ rhetoric on this issue for many weeks now.

It’s a good read, but the people who need to read it (those who spread the Tory electioneering lies) won’t read it.

It also highlights why we need barristers and lawyers of all types. It takes a special kind of mind to get around all of that stuff.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 21:28 - Dec 1 with 2690 viewsDanTheMan

Seems Boris Johnson enjoyed it so much he decided to repost it himself.

[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 21:28]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 21:45 - Dec 1 with 2667 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A plague on all their houses...that 2 young individuals committed to making a positive change in the world have died is a real tragedy. The actions of several ex offenders in tackling this man should give us all reason to pause for thought.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 21:59 - Dec 1 with 2647 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

In a statement his family reiterated their call for his murder to not be exploited for political gain.

They said: “We know Jack would not want this terrible, isolated incident to be used as a pretext by the government for introducing even more draconian sentences on prisoners, or for detaining people in prison for longer than necessary.”

The family added: “Jack lived his principles: he believed in redemption and rehabilitation — not revenge — and he always took the side of the underdog.”

The call appeared to be in vain, with Johnson using a lengthy interview on BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show to blame Labour for the early release of Khan.

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 07:32 - Dec 2 with 2593 viewshampstead_blue

Very good book.
If I recall, more is spent on pensioners TV licence rebates/discounts than on the CPS.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 07:43 - Dec 2 with 2574 viewsGaryCooper

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 21:59 - Dec 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

In a statement his family reiterated their call for his murder to not be exploited for political gain.

They said: “We know Jack would not want this terrible, isolated incident to be used as a pretext by the government for introducing even more draconian sentences on prisoners, or for detaining people in prison for longer than necessary.”

The family added: “Jack lived his principles: he believed in redemption and rehabilitation — not revenge — and he always took the side of the underdog.”

The call appeared to be in vain, with Johnson using a lengthy interview on BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show to blame Labour for the early release of Khan.

Labour have also used the attack to exploit political gain, that is the biggest struggle to understand, how people fail to see that both parties are a shower of sh1te.
If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 07:53 - Dec 2 with 2562 viewsgordon

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 07:43 - Dec 2 by GaryCooper

Labour have also used the attack to exploit political gain, that is the biggest struggle to understand, how people fail to see that both parties are a shower of sh1te.

There is an enormous difference between :

a) explaining why you reckon your key policies would have stopped the attack and;

b) lying about the causes of the attack, and then coming up with a policy the day after the attack based on those lies which you've never mentioned before, and pretending you've been fighting for it for years.

Labour's argument on foreign policy (a) isn't particularly convincing - it isn't really what this story is about, and we've heard it all before, but at least it isn't based on ignoring what the victims stood for to try and win a few votes.
Login to get fewer ads

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:11 - Dec 2 with 2528 viewsGlasgowBlue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 07:53 - Dec 2 by gordon

There is an enormous difference between :

a) explaining why you reckon your key policies would have stopped the attack and;

b) lying about the causes of the attack, and then coming up with a policy the day after the attack based on those lies which you've never mentioned before, and pretending you've been fighting for it for years.

Labour's argument on foreign policy (a) isn't particularly convincing - it isn't really what this story is about, and we've heard it all before, but at least it isn't based on ignoring what the victims stood for to try and win a few votes.

I’m sorry but this is making political capital out of a tragic event.

Every bit as cynical as the crap coming out of Johnson’s mouth.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:21 - Dec 2 with 2507 viewslowhouseblue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:11 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

both entirely cynical. but interestingly both entirely defensive. boris is trying to divert attention form it happening on his watch, corbyn is trying to distract people from his weakness on security. both are trying to bolster their base. we have reached the safety first, keep your core supporters happy, stage of the election.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:26 - Dec 2 with 2496 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:11 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

Which bit did he get wrong.... "not a Tory" Blue?

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:28 - Dec 2 with 2489 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 07:43 - Dec 2 by GaryCooper

There are shades of sh1t though and you seem to prefer the smelliest sort!

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:29 - Dec 2 with 2484 viewsGlasgowBlue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:26 - Dec 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Which bit did he get wrong.... "not a Tory" Blue?

9/11 was before the Iraq war for starters. But you are missing the point. He is playing politics over the tragedy in the same way Johnson is.

Both are utterly cynical and without shame.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 8:31]

Iron Lion Zion

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:31 - Dec 2 with 2467 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:29 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

9/11 was before the Iraq war for starters. But you are missing the point. He is playing politics over the tragedy in the same way Johnson is.

The levels are not even close.

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:41 - Dec 2 with 2447 viewsGlasgowBlue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:31 - Dec 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

The levels are not even close.

I see. So what you are saying is that both Corbyn and Johnson were both cynically exploiting the deaths of two innocent people in order to make political capital, but Johnson was exploiting those deaths at a much higher level than Corbyn.

Iron Lion Zion

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:53 - Dec 2 with 2427 viewsRadlett_blue

That's a good piece Steve - as ever, the criminal justice system is hideously complicated. However, in a world where terror attacks (largely by Islamic fundamentalists) are becoming more common, how do we best protect our citizens against such people? This is a very different issue from the "hang 'em high" approach to sentencing so loved by some of the tabloids.
The London Bridge attack in the middle of a general election campaign is a gift for Boris as the Tories are obviously seen as tougher on crime/terrorism than Corbyn and we can't expect our politicians not to make political capital out of it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:01 - Dec 2 with 2408 viewsZedRodgers

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:29 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

That's quite the hill you're choosing to soil yourself on. Why stop at 9/11 GB? The crusades were before that.

You're arguing that the Iraq war didn't stimulate two decades of hostility towards Britain and the west, whilst simultaneously implying that the 9/11 attack, supposedly perpetrated by a Saudi, a Pakistani and an Egyptian, resulted in the invasion of Iraq.

Corbyn will always be right to point to the million deaths in Iraq as the route cause of so many of the world's problems in the 21st century.

No, not at the moment

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:05 - Dec 2 with 2401 viewsSwansea_Blue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 21:28 - Dec 1 by DanTheMan

Seems Boris Johnson enjoyed it so much he decided to repost it himself.

[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 21:28]

No shame, as well as being a 'weapons garade sh*thouse'. I'm not surprised though. There's a weird culture war going on on social media where truth and decency have no part.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:06 - Dec 2 with 2399 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:41 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

I see. So what you are saying is that both Corbyn and Johnson were both cynically exploiting the deaths of two innocent people in order to make political capital, but Johnson was exploiting those deaths at a much higher level than Corbyn.

Nope!

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:10 - Dec 2 with 2393 viewslowhouseblue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:05 - Dec 2 by Swansea_Blue

No shame, as well as being a 'weapons garade sh*thouse'. I'm not surprised though. There's a weird culture war going on on social media where truth and decency have no part.

i suspect most of us are only seeing snippets from one side of that social media war. all politicians on both sides want is a line that can be put out to the people they are targeting - how it sounds to everyone else doesn't matter at all. the sort of reasoned debate and challenge you get in the serious news outlets doesn't affect voting in any way - it's a distraction to what's really going on.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:51 - Dec 2 with 2355 viewshampstead_blue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:01 - Dec 2 by ZedRodgers

That's quite the hill you're choosing to soil yourself on. Why stop at 9/11 GB? The crusades were before that.

You're arguing that the Iraq war didn't stimulate two decades of hostility towards Britain and the west, whilst simultaneously implying that the 9/11 attack, supposedly perpetrated by a Saudi, a Pakistani and an Egyptian, resulted in the invasion of Iraq.

Corbyn will always be right to point to the million deaths in Iraq as the route cause of so many of the world's problems in the 21st century.

Desert Storm was entirely justified.
However as it was an American gig we were forced to stop too early and then forced to leave the Kurds on the hook.

The problem JC alludes to, I think, is the second Iraq invasion. That was Tony Blair's wet dream. Dodgy dossier anyone.

I gave no support for that decision but supported my mates who went.

Problem with that war and the subsequent mess was once more down the American's lack of planning.
JC was proven right about the second Iraq war, as was I and many others.

That ball is in Labour's court and Blair has the brass neck remain in the public eye.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 10:19 - Dec 2 with 2329 viewsRadlett_blue

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 09:51 - Dec 2 by hampstead_blue

Desert Storm was entirely justified.
However as it was an American gig we were forced to stop too early and then forced to leave the Kurds on the hook.

The problem JC alludes to, I think, is the second Iraq invasion. That was Tony Blair's wet dream. Dodgy dossier anyone.

I gave no support for that decision but supported my mates who went.

Problem with that war and the subsequent mess was once more down the American's lack of planning.
JC was proven right about the second Iraq war, as was I and many others.

That ball is in Labour's court and Blair has the brass neck remain in the public eye.

The 2nd Iraq war was indefensible and even at the time, it wasn't hard to question how Iraq would be governed after Saddam was toppled. The American idea of elections and democracy in a country with no political institutions and riven by huge religious & ethnic division was laughable. Why Blair (generally a sensible & effective PM) went along with it only he knows.
However, this disastrous template, which helped spawn ISIS, hasn't deterred the Americans and their allies in using influence with equally disastrous results in Libya & Syria.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 12:47 - Dec 2 with 2271 viewsGaryCooper

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 08:28 - Dec 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

There are shades of sh1t though and you seem to prefer the smelliest sort!

I must of listened to Crass a little closer than you, I intend to spoil my ballot, you are just endorsing sh1t.
If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 12:52 - Dec 2 with 2265 viewsDarth_Koont

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 12:47 - Dec 2 by GaryCooper

I must of listened to Crass a little closer than you, I intend to spoil my ballot, you are just endorsing sh1t.

Not sure I believe you on that score.

As in the other thread, who or what would you vote for? In this election or hypothetically?

Pronouns: He/Him

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 12:57 - Dec 2 with 2256 viewsHerbivore

If anyone wants to read an informed piece about the early release of prisoners on 12:52 - Dec 2 by Darth_Koont

Not sure I believe you on that score.

As in the other thread, who or what would you vote for? In this election or hypothetically?

I think he'd vote Labour if they were pro-Brexit and not really interested in doing any good.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024