Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... 09:12 - Dec 5 with 4210 viewsStokieBlue

One of the often used lines from the anti-vaxers is that getting measles isn't actually that bad. I think 62 people in Samoa would disagree:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/05/samoa-measles-outbreak-families-fl

Furthermore a recent study has found that measles kills off the parts of white blood cells which tell them how to fight other diseases:

https://time.com/5714159/measles-immune-amnesia/

This is obviously really bad. You know what to do people.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 09:21 - Dec 5 with 2592 viewsBlueBadger

In a rare example of social media doing some good, I've been seeing a lot of adverts for his sort of thing on FB recently.
https://market.unicef.org.uk/inspired-gifts/measles-vaccines-to-protect-20-child

I've decided that this is going to be my 'secret santa' gift for whoever I get at work this year.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:18 - Dec 5 with 2576 viewsElephantintheRoom

Measles WAS pretty harmless back in the day because the population had built up resistance before vaccinations were readily available. Now most folk get their kids vaccinated that resistance is being lost in the UK population - and measles can be as bad in the UK as it is in Samoa - and was when Captain Cook and his ilk came a visiting.

Another interesting bit of medical reality is that food allergies were virtually unknown 50 years ago.... now its unusual not to have one that waitrose will happily cater for.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:19 - Dec 5 with 2582 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:18 - Dec 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Measles WAS pretty harmless back in the day because the population had built up resistance before vaccinations were readily available. Now most folk get their kids vaccinated that resistance is being lost in the UK population - and measles can be as bad in the UK as it is in Samoa - and was when Captain Cook and his ilk came a visiting.

Another interesting bit of medical reality is that food allergies were virtually unknown 50 years ago.... now its unusual not to have one that waitrose will happily cater for.

You don't 'lose' natural immunity through vaccination. Vaccination works to supplement the work of the adapative immune system by exposing it to a weakened version of a disease. So, should it then be exposed to a 'full-on' version of it, it's already equipped to deal with it.
People died of measles a LOT more 'back in the day' precisely because of a lack of vaccination - you can ONLY adapt to a disease if you've been exposed to it and your adaptive immune system has developed a defence against it. No-exposure=no defence, so if you got it and were vulnerable by for example, being very young, very old, malnourished or in general poor health, you were probably in trouble. You'd probably never get it again, though, because it would stand a decent chance of killing you.

Oh, and they don't cause food allergies either. Food allergies have always been around, there's greater awareness and care around them, combined with likely environmental factors such as urban pollution and ever-more processing on the production of everyday products.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 11:54]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:45 - Dec 5 with 2544 viewscaught-in-limbo

Great article, although for balance it's best read in conjunction with an opposing mindset.

Here's something more digestible to those with Yootoobitis:

https://kletische.com/gauge-someone-pushing-agenda/

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:48 - Dec 5 with 2529 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:45 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Great article, although for balance it's best read in conjunction with an opposing mindset.

You do KNOW that the anti-vaccination movement is sponsored by the big drug companies because they make more money from treating perfectly preventable diseases than vaccinating against them, right?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:49 - Dec 5 with 2530 viewsCotty

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:18 - Dec 5 by ElephantintheRoom

What a load of tosh.
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:50 - Dec 5 with 2516 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:49 - Dec 5 by Cotty

What a load of tosh.

I've made my one factual contribution to this thread. We all know the usual suspects aren't going to listen, so I'm just going to take the piss from hereon in.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:51 - Dec 5 with 2522 viewsCotty

The idea that unsupported speculation has the same value as incredibly well evidenced scientific fact, and that it should be presented alongside said scientific facts in the name of "balance", is dangerous nonsense.
Login to get fewer ads

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:52 - Dec 5 with 2514 viewsCotty

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:50 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

I've made my one factual contribution to this thread. We all know the usual suspects aren't going to listen, so I'm just going to take the piss from hereon in.

Yeah I've said my bit, I'm off now.
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:52 - Dec 5 with 2507 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:48 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

You do KNOW that the anti-vaccination movement is sponsored by the big drug companies because they make more money from treating perfectly preventable diseases than vaccinating against them, right?

Interesting. I'm always prepared to learn something new, so... can you provide me some evidence to support that claim?

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:53 - Dec 5 with 2500 viewschicoazul

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:51 - Dec 5 by Cotty

The idea that unsupported speculation has the same value as incredibly well evidenced scientific fact, and that it should be presented alongside said scientific facts in the name of "balance", is dangerous nonsense.

HE'S BACK

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:55 - Dec 5 with 2494 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:50 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

LOL, I've got it:

"I've decided that this is going to be my 'secret santa' gift for whoever I get at work this year."

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:55 - Dec 5 with 2490 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:52 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Interesting. I'm always prepared to learn something new, so... can you provide me some evidence to support that claim?

I can provide with at least as much credible evidence of it as the pro-disease lobby can with their claims about autism, etc, etc, etc.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:56 - Dec 5 with 2484 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:55 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

LOL, I've got it:

"I've decided that this is going to be my 'secret santa' gift for whoever I get at work this year."

Whut?

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:57 - Dec 5 with 2480 viewssolemio

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:53 - Dec 5 by chicoazul

HE'S BACK

Good
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:57 - Dec 5 with 2484 viewsCotty

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:55 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

I can provide with at least as much credible evidence of it as the pro-disease lobby can with their claims about autism, etc, etc, etc.

Probably much much more credibility. There's an overwhelmingly huge amount of evidence that the link between autism and vaccination is non-existent. Whereas there is probably a simple lack of evidence to support your claim.
Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:34 - Dec 5 with 2446 viewsStokieBlue

Can you explain what you disagree with in my opening post?

It's a fact that 62 people have died because of an outbreak and it's also a fact that measles gives you "immune amnesia". I'm interested how there can be an "opposing mindset" to something which is provably correct.

SB

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:34 - Dec 5 with 2445 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:51 - Dec 5 by Cotty

Where's the unsupported speculation in what I posted?

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:35 - Dec 5 with 2443 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:55 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

Excellent. Let's see what you've got then.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:36 - Dec 5 with 2436 viewscaught-in-limbo

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:34 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

Can you explain what you disagree with in my opening post?

It's a fact that 62 people have died because of an outbreak and it's also a fact that measles gives you "immune amnesia". I'm interested how there can be an "opposing mindset" to something which is provably correct.

SB

An opposing mindset is different to alternative data.

#toxic

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:39 - Dec 5 with 2430 viewsStokieBlue

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:36 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

An opposing mindset is different to alternative data.

That doesn't make sense.

SB

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:42 - Dec 5 with 2416 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:39 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

That doesn't make sense.

SB

'It's so unfair. Why isn't my opinion treated as seriously as hard facts?'.

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:43 - Dec 5 with 2416 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:34 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Where's the unsupported speculation in what I posted?

It's in the whole post. The whole bleat about 'why are you relying on facts when I have an OPINION' nonsense.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 11:55]

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:46 - Dec 5 with 2407 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:35 - Dec 5 by caught-in-limbo

Excellent. Let's see what you've got then.

It's right here next to all this eveidnece about vaccines and autism, etc, etc:

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 11:58 - Dec 5 with 2374 viewsBlueBadger

Measles isn't harmless.... again.... on 10:52 - Dec 5 by Cotty

Yeah I've said my bit, I'm off now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024