Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another defeat, this time to 10 men 17:08 - Dec 14 with 4572 viewsMullet

Nothing doing since Rochdale away.

First it was Lambert, then it was Judge, then it was home form and a few more in between those, what next are we going to hear people cling to as our intangible saviour? How about picking vaguely the same team where possible for two fcuking games running?

I don't blame any individual players by and large, the basics just seem not to be there. I know Gill and Taylor are getting more time in front of the cameras, and I don't begrudge the gestures as much as I do Lambert slating fans for something that hasn't really been there until now.

He's created the sense of negativity and entitlement by making it an issue and serving up that. It's still possible we could go up without hitting our stride, that's how sh1te this league is and the teams in it. But it also makes failure to do so even more unforgivable.

Pompey and Lincoln don't look all that right now, such is the nature of how quickly teams fall away in this league, but even those games look tougher because we are doing the same.

We scored a goal from a lovely move again, but where's the 90 minutes of simple football with those sorts of periods play making the difference? It's a conundrum that needs solving very quickly before we cement ourselves into the middling pack and establish ourselves there for years.

Once the talents are sold what then? Our squad is imbalanced and costly as it is, failure to go up will ensure they go and leave us with what? It seems a scenario more and more likely in the six weeks since Spotland, what a week for us to lose thanks to the wrong kind of momentum too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:43 - Dec 16 with 1250 viewsHerbivore

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 11:33 - Dec 16 by BrixtonBlue

Did you watch the game or are you commenting on the result/highlights? I thought we played very well for most of it and utterly dominated possession. We had lots of presentable chances that we couldn't quite force in. They had way less but managed to score 2 of them.

That we didn't equalise, let alone win, was more by luck than anything IMO. 9 out of 10 times we'd have won that game with that performance.

I came away disappointed and frustrated but not ultimately worried.

I feel like you've been waiting to take Lambert down just like you did with Hurst... because neither were/are Mick. I think it clouds your judgement. While I'm frustrated with the constant changes, I thought the team looked pretty good on Saturday overall, and some of those changes have been forced by injuries.

I understand the frustrations and fears, but as always I think the manager needs to be given a lot more time before the knives come out.

Can't agree with your assessment. We were disjointed for much of the game and carved out a few half chances. Their goalie barely had to make a save. And all this after falling 2-0 down and them having two other excellent chances to extend their lead in the first half.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:10 - Dec 16 with 1234 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:43 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

Can't agree with your assessment. We were disjointed for much of the game and carved out a few half chances. Their goalie barely had to make a save. And all this after falling 2-0 down and them having two other excellent chances to extend their lead in the first half.

It's not always about the saves the goalie makes. We had a few flash across the box, a couple of scrambles, almost an own goal stabbed in, Nolan missing a sitter of a header, a blatant pen not given. We definitely deserved a draw at least IMO, unless you're being overly pessimistic.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:19 - Dec 16 with 1222 viewsHerbivore

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:10 - Dec 16 by BrixtonBlue

It's not always about the saves the goalie makes. We had a few flash across the box, a couple of scrambles, almost an own goal stabbed in, Nolan missing a sitter of a header, a blatant pen not given. We definitely deserved a draw at least IMO, unless you're being overly pessimistic.

To score a goal you have to put the ball on target, the lack of saves suggests we didn't really do that. We got some crosses in. Great. I'm kind of hoping for a bit more to be honest.

As well as actually scoring twice, Rovers forced Holy into a good save and they missed a free header from 6 yards. I don't think we were unlucky to lose that game.

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:19 - Dec 16 with 1225 viewsLankHenners

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:10 - Dec 16 by BrixtonBlue

"We had a few flash across the box, a couple of scrambles, almost an own goal stabbed in" - when that's pretty much the sum of our attacking output it's not good really. Those things are down to luck on the whole whether they go in rather than being a decent manufactured chance.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:38 - Dec 16 with 1214 viewsMeadowlark

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 17:16 - Dec 14 by urbanblue

I thought we lost something when Dozzell went off for Judge. Up til then thought we played quite well other then the awful defending for the goals.

Yes. I couldn't understand that substitution at all.
We played like 11 individuals, all pretty good, but not as a team. The number of passes that went to no-one were numerous and there seemed to be no leadership on or off the pitch.
I agree with most that a settled 11 is the way to go and the non - 1st team members must bide their time or prove that they are capable. Knowing that you will play sooner or later irrespective of form or talent is ridiculous.
Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 16:29 - Dec 16 with 1197 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 15:19 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

To score a goal you have to put the ball on target, the lack of saves suggests we didn't really do that. We got some crosses in. Great. I'm kind of hoping for a bit more to be honest.

As well as actually scoring twice, Rovers forced Holy into a good save and they missed a free header from 6 yards. I don't think we were unlucky to lose that game.

They weren't just "some crosses in' - you're downplaying very decent scrambles in order to make your point. When something hits a defender and misses the net by millimetres that's a very good chance, regardless of no save by the keeper.

You've also ignored the blatant pen.

We shall have to agree to disagree because I think you've taken a stance on Lambert that is preventing you from being honest.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 21:10 - Dec 16 with 1154 viewsHerbivore

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 16:29 - Dec 16 by BrixtonBlue

They weren't just "some crosses in' - you're downplaying very decent scrambles in order to make your point. When something hits a defender and misses the net by millimetres that's a very good chance, regardless of no save by the keeper.

You've also ignored the blatant pen.

We shall have to agree to disagree because I think you've taken a stance on Lambert that is preventing you from being honest.

I think that last paragraph applies to you rather than me, friend. "Very decent scrambles"? Blimey, is that what we've become?

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 10:28 - Dec 17 with 1107 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 21:10 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

I think that last paragraph applies to you rather than me, friend. "Very decent scrambles"? Blimey, is that what we've become?

Well, no, I don't really have a stance on Lambert. I'm fairly ambivalent. Whereas you talk of being close to pulling the trigger, which IMO would be utter madness at this stage.

"Very decent scrambles" doesn't say we've *become* anything. But goalmouth scrambles are chances and you seemed to pooh-pooh anything that wasn't an actual save by the keeper.

You're redefining what a chance is to push your agenda, basically. As a normally sensible poster I'm surprised you want us to be Watford; firing managers every few months.

Login to get fewer ads

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 11:43 - Dec 17 with 1095 viewshaynes_toe1

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 10:28 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

Well, no, I don't really have a stance on Lambert. I'm fairly ambivalent. Whereas you talk of being close to pulling the trigger, which IMO would be utter madness at this stage.

"Very decent scrambles" doesn't say we've *become* anything. But goalmouth scrambles are chances and you seemed to pooh-pooh anything that wasn't an actual save by the keeper.

You're redefining what a chance is to push your agenda, basically. As a normally sensible poster I'm surprised you want us to be Watford; firing managers every few months.

They don't do xpg in League One as far as i'm aware but if they did, and admittedly only going via highlights, i'd say that Bristol's would be much better than ours.
Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 12:35 - Dec 17 with 1077 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 11:43 - Dec 17 by haynes_toe1

They don't do xpg in League One as far as i'm aware but if they did, and admittedly only going via highlights, i'd say that Bristol's would be much better than ours.

Haha. So many if's and buts in there it's unreal!. Quite literally unreal.

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 13:31 - Dec 17 with 1055 viewshaynes_toe1

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 12:35 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

Haha. So many if's and buts in there it's unreal!. Quite literally unreal.

Can go further, and use stats to back up that we're simply not good enough.

Despite being the second best team in the league for average possession, we're not:

1) In the top 5 for shots per game
2) In the top 5 for pass accuracy per game
3) Only have Luke Chambers in the best XI of League One based on performance ratings.

I mean, those stats aren't even needed because it's evident in pretty much every game we have played this season but they do back up what the likes of Herbivore is saying, and rather make yours look a bit 'rose-tinted'
Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 13:37 - Dec 17 with 1050 viewsFacefacts

We have to keep believing that we can get some form and winning results together, as the thought of staying in this league with our squad size and recently highlighted wage bill leads to despair.

With so many changes the defending looks Sunday league.

We are starting to look more and more like Sunderland. Big squad, big-time-Charlie manager, alluding to Pep and Klopp, and how the German crowds come to games and enjoy themselves, but it's horrible, being done up like a kipper by settled sides with squads of 17 or 18 players. I don't think we will go up. We would have to find a way of winning at home. I think we would be powder puff in the play offs.

What has gone wrong? Early in the season, our strikers were scoring and we had KVY
fit.

JD calling in sick shouldn't've derailed us, but the wrong enforced decision was made. No other cover at Right Back, in spite of having twice the size of squad of most League One teams. Cotter could've been given another chance. Is his lack of protection v. Coventry going to freeze him out for another year or two.. I think this one was the manager's error.

All our opponents think playing us is their Cup Final, especially when they come to FPR. So we can still remain optimistic about our excellent away form, if not always our away Barcelona style/performances and way of playing.

Squad rotation is unavoidable in our situation of having so many players. Our wage bill is highlighted for once in the year around the time of the AGM. Most teams in our situation would have acted as we have, try to keep the big squad for going straight back up. So, nothing to criticise here, because if you sack 20 players, your remaining 17 or 18 will not have the hardened resilience of e.g. Lincoln City, except for maybe Chambers, Skuse and Sears, all of whom have recently spent time out injured.

But I don't think they have put the work in on the training ground to get comfortable with different formations, for this I think a younger, 'still learning' manager would have been a better option than Paul Lambert.
Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:51 - Dec 17 with 1029 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 13:31 - Dec 17 by haynes_toe1

Can go further, and use stats to back up that we're simply not good enough.

Despite being the second best team in the league for average possession, we're not:

1) In the top 5 for shots per game
2) In the top 5 for pass accuracy per game
3) Only have Luke Chambers in the best XI of League One based on performance ratings.

I mean, those stats aren't even needed because it's evident in pretty much every game we have played this season but they do back up what the likes of Herbivore is saying, and rather make yours look a bit 'rose-tinted'

We (including you) were talking about the Bristol Rovers game. You appear to have moved the goalposts. I wonder why.

There's nothing rose-tinted by me. The extreme view is Herbi's.

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:57 - Dec 17 with 1022 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 13:37 - Dec 17 by Facefacts

We have to keep believing that we can get some form and winning results together, as the thought of staying in this league with our squad size and recently highlighted wage bill leads to despair.

With so many changes the defending looks Sunday league.

We are starting to look more and more like Sunderland. Big squad, big-time-Charlie manager, alluding to Pep and Klopp, and how the German crowds come to games and enjoy themselves, but it's horrible, being done up like a kipper by settled sides with squads of 17 or 18 players. I don't think we will go up. We would have to find a way of winning at home. I think we would be powder puff in the play offs.

What has gone wrong? Early in the season, our strikers were scoring and we had KVY
fit.

JD calling in sick shouldn't've derailed us, but the wrong enforced decision was made. No other cover at Right Back, in spite of having twice the size of squad of most League One teams. Cotter could've been given another chance. Is his lack of protection v. Coventry going to freeze him out for another year or two.. I think this one was the manager's error.

All our opponents think playing us is their Cup Final, especially when they come to FPR. So we can still remain optimistic about our excellent away form, if not always our away Barcelona style/performances and way of playing.

Squad rotation is unavoidable in our situation of having so many players. Our wage bill is highlighted for once in the year around the time of the AGM. Most teams in our situation would have acted as we have, try to keep the big squad for going straight back up. So, nothing to criticise here, because if you sack 20 players, your remaining 17 or 18 will not have the hardened resilience of e.g. Lincoln City, except for maybe Chambers, Skuse and Sears, all of whom have recently spent time out injured.

But I don't think they have put the work in on the training ground to get comfortable with different formations, for this I think a younger, 'still learning' manager would have been a better option than Paul Lambert.

We tried a "younger, 'still learning' manager," that's why we needed the experience of Lambert.

I also dispute that we're anything like Sunderland, or that Lambert is a big-time charlie.

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:58 - Dec 17 with 1022 viewsHerbivore

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 10:28 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

I don't recall many genuine goalmouth scrambles. There was one where Nolan failed to score from about 6 yards. You're ignoring that Rovers, in addition to scoring twice, had two other very good chances in the first half. I don't think were unlucky to lose at all. Second half we were largely toothless again.

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 18:56 - Dec 17 with 998 viewshaynes_toe1

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:51 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

We (including you) were talking about the Bristol Rovers game. You appear to have moved the goalposts. I wonder why.

There's nothing rose-tinted by me. The extreme view is Herbi's.

Ah, in which case I apologise - I presume you agree that all season we've not looked great then?
Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 10:46 - Dec 18 with 963 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 14:58 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

I don't recall many genuine goalmouth scrambles. There was one where Nolan failed to score from about 6 yards. You're ignoring that Rovers, in addition to scoring twice, had two other very good chances in the first half. I don't think were unlucky to lose at all. Second half we were largely toothless again.

If you can't recall stuff that happened I can't really help you much. I'm not ignoring that the opposition had some chances.

We shall have to agree to disagree. I definitely feel our play warranted something from the game.

As a side note, I've been critical of Will Keane and wondering what the point of signing him was, but he looked very good in this game until he tired later on.

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 10:47 - Dec 18 with 962 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another defeat, this time to 10 men on 18:56 - Dec 17 by haynes_toe1

Ah, in which case I apologise - I presume you agree that all season we've not looked great then?

No I certainly don't think we've looked "great".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024